• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharkiller

THE STEAM SALE STARTS AT THE SAME TIME AS EVERYTHING ON STEAM EVER CHANGES EVERY DAY, SO 16 HOURS AND 45 MINUTES FROM NOW

(don't take it personal, salazar, you're just like the 10th person to ask this =p)
t1417024800z4.png

maty

I'm close to getting my life back xD

In the meantime, some extras.

ModBot said:
ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (maty, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tower of Guns -- MB-6A1364FF1219B918 - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 2 entrants total.
Eldritch -- MB-D1A0DEAD35ABD7A2 - Taken by ArynCrinn. 2 entrants total.

t1416967661z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If you don't mind me asking, what is your own take as to why Valve seems to be pushing this? For me it seems out of character, unless I am missing something obvious here. Maybe this is just another hands off type approach to a problem that is being "fixed" by a somewhat lazy solution that ignores or dismisses potential issues until they become too big to ignore? Like how they came up with Greenlight instead of a better process for game submissions.

I think there are probably multiple factors in play here. One thing I can say about Valve is that they do (in a roundabout way) listen to the complaints their customers have about the platform and try to come up with ways to fix these problems, usually by making unconventional changes like this one. It seems to just be the way they do things.

So on one hand they have the issue of chargebacks (which, as any business owner in the US will tell you, is an expensive and time-consuming process) and on the other hand they have the "user experience" of people being scammed because they bought these games which were later removed. Regardless of whether people used the trade window properly, you better believe that over 95% of these incidents end up being reported to Steam support.

And that's really the crux of the matter: everyone with a voice is clamoring right now how Steam's support division really sucks. When EA is treating their customers better than you are, you have to know that something is wrong. So I imagine Valve started tracking and analyzing the tickets in the support queue and found that this issue with chargebacks, trade scams, and associated support incidents were the ones taking the most amount of support personnel's time.

So, back to the way Valve does things. Whereas a typical company would choose to improve their support by hiring new staff, creating an entirely new division, or outsourcing it to another company/country, Valve says "We've got to come up with a way to fix this so we can keep doing what we're doing with the people we've got." And this was their answer. It's dynamic in that it also solves another of their problems - users trading games between regions to bypass regional pricing restrictions.

Although I know a lot of people are sour about the decision, I would lay money on "reduce support time and bank fees" being the cause of this and not "preventing cross-region trading". The later is just the byproduct of this decision. I'm sure it came up in their decision making process, but from a corporate standpoint it ended up being a win-win for them.

Valve, you have taken away one of the most entertaining entries in my status feed and I'm upset.

No longer will I see that JaseC now owns game X, Y, Z, and 103 other titles.
LLShC.gif

denx

so no one has bought anything from origin today using vpn or what?

You want to buy from the Origin mexican store? Stuff is pretty cheap there.

Talking of which, I bought PvZ Garden Warfare Deluxe Edition and BF4 for a grand total of 24 dollars. Life is good after years of buying stuff from Origin on euros for some goddamn reason.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve, you have taken away one of the most entertaining entries in my status feed and I'm upset.

No longer will I see that JaseC now owns game X, Y, Z, and 103 other titles.
LLShC.gif

For a moment there I thought you were saying that Valve removed "Blahblah now owns blah more games" in general.

MUnited83

For you.
Nope. Metal Gear Ground Zeroes comes on December, probably the same day as the winter sale.

Unless REALLY good deals, I won't bother. As they will appear on the Winter sales, if the last fall Fall-Winter sales is anything to go by.

I'm going to go ahead and bet that the preorder for Ground Zeroes will start tomorrow as a featured deal. 15$

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Terraria -- MB-FF619036366399A0 - Taken by lindarasta. 2 entrants total.

t1416980380z1.png

Derp

Valkyria Chronicles.
Ah. *facepalm*

I'm so stupid. All I could think of was Vice City. Then I tried to figure out how one would "grind" in Vice City, and how your character could be level 11. That's when I realised my guess was a wee bit off.

JaseC

I've managed to send quite a few NASCAR spares over the past week or so. If the pace keeps up I may not have to pay a cent out of my own pocket for The Crew.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bodyboarder, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Total War: ROME II - Caesar in Gaul (DLC) -- MB-C86FA7B58957A308

Turfster

What's VC? :eek:

Valkyria Chronicles, like Fuu said.
Basically doing the Vasel Riverside skirmish over and over for 6320xp a pop.
Takes one turn and you basically blow up the left tank then run your shocktrooper through the fire to clear and take over the camp, and the enemies are all still scrubs that do zero damage.
It takes longer to click through the stupid 'explanation' you get every time than it takes to finish the skirmish =p

Ah. *facepalm*

I'm so stupid. All I could think of was Vice City. Then I tried to figure out how one would "grind" in Vice City, and how your character could be level 11. That's when I realised my guess was a wee bit off.

I'm Mr. Derp. Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp.
YdfJBjFJ2G.gif

I'm going to go ahead and bet that the preorder for Ground Zeroes will start tomorrow as a featured deal. 15$

And I'd actually end up buying something from the sale!

Ugh. Grinding in VC to get my chars up to level 11 at least before continuing.
Hate grinding.

I somehow feel like you totally deserve this.

For a moment there I thought you were saying that Valve removed "Blahblah now owns blah more games" in general.

No, just that you won't be buying 103 games this sale. :3

AsfaeksBR

I think, after 6 years (my steam account turned 6 yesterday), I won't spend a dime during a Sale. I'll just wait until The Talos Principle comes out in early december.

JaseC

No, just that you won't be buying 103 games this sale. :3

The Autumn Sale won't really register on my radar aside from Early Access titles with incentives and software that's liable to be superseded, but I'm hoping I'll have enough moolah to hit 4k by the enter of the Winter Sale.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just noticed Toki's amazing ether on his giveaway. its funny because its true

Ozium

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ozium, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Kingdom Rush -- MB-B047F133A9D93FBC - Taken by macfoshizzle
KU: Shroud of the Morrigan -- MB-C0A73D88FDBADAFF - Taken by Tesseract
The Samaritan Paradox -- MB-C059EE7A93308CC8 - Taken by fernandes
Major Mayhem -- MB-D73276B1C72B708A
Zack Zero -- MB-C43A2ACCE9B90A1E
Level 22 -- MB-991B606E113B0D03 - Taken by autoduelist

don'

Ban Puncher

Have at it.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Man Puncher, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

NiGHTS Into Dreams -- MB-C296FD67FC3FE694 - Taken by ussjtrunks
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed -- MB-C56E445AB72734C9 - Taken by texhnolyze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom