• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
not sure, it's a case by case thing but apparently the region lock is automatic so unless pubs specifically ask for it to be removed, all new games will have it

I've spoke with several publishers who requested Valve remove it and their request was denied. Valve also removed the section of the publisher's web tools that allows them to control the ACRTAG flag themselves.

So it's pretty much "on" regardless of a publisher or developer's wishes. Maybe the bigger publishers have more sway than the one's I've talked to, but they're also the ones that wouldn't mind it being on in the first place.

Image is relevant:

gZTmRNy.png

Uzzy

Hey fellas. I don't remember buying Company of Heroes 2. But the DLC activated on my account.

Is this kind of like Assassin's creed 4's DLC that could also be purchased as a stand alone game?

You got the Oberkommando West DLC from the Humble sale? Yeah, that's stand alone. You can play as that army in multiplayer battles now.

Toki767

Just thought I'd do a giveaway for the community before the big Winter Sale rush of leechers come in. Hope someone puts this to good use.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Toki767, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

$20 Steam Wallet -- MB-9BFACE163484D237 - Taken by The Red Wizard. 100 entrants total.

t1417049380z1.png

Zooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed -- MB-4F95E2FD38366B80 - Taken by RyanPierre. 4 entrants total.

t1416964120z1.png

so does the origin vpn thing not work anymore? I'm trying to get Plants vs Zombies for $12 off of mexican origin but when I add the game to my cart, turn off the vpn and login the game is removed from my cart. please tell me I'm doing something wrong and it wasn't actually fixed :(

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Aces Wild: Manic Brawling Action -- MB-68A5684F46DC86E3 - Taken by cardinalmind
Luna Shattered Hearts Episode 1 -- MB-FA3112831F6D05A2 - Taken by nja
Time Ramesside -- MB-74EB72D14F058453 - Taken by crazyrabbits
Dementium II HD -- MB-CC647C8C7E61F9D8 - Taken by FiveElementNinja
Inside the Gear -- MB-FE56C0E18F8EC040 - Taken by bobnowhere

zkylon

zkylewd
Valve doesn't want to do that, yet.
it's in the works, tho

kill all the fun

all fun must die

I've spoke with several publishers who requested Valve remove it and their request was denied. Valve also removed the section of the publisher's web tools that allows them to control the ACRTAG flag themselves.

So it's pretty much "on" regardless of a publisher or developer's wishes. Maybe the bigger publishers have more sway than the one's I've talked to, but they're also the ones that wouldn't mind it being on in the first place.

Image is relevant:
oh right, i had forgotten

it's crazy that steam has become this way

it sounds so against the way valve should want to do things

Just thought I'd do a giveaway for the community before the big Winter Sale rush of leechers come in. Hope someone puts this to good use.
delicious cash money

if i win i'll waste it in ff13

so if i do end up winning and you don't wanna follow through i won't blame you

MUnited83

For you.

Image is relevant:

Well, if Valve keeps fucking up they will be just as bad as Ubisoft or EA pretty soon.

RealMeat

Banned
ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (RealMeat, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Empire: Total War -- MB-02B256DECAC36D07 - Taken by darkchewie. 7 entrants total.

t1416974380z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

NiGHTS Into Dreams -- MB-4B934AEEFD3ABEB9 - Taken by -MD-
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed -- MB-0D540640C2825D17 - Taken by rainking187
Dreamcast Collection -- MB-A6E363C59924E262 - Taken by PandaPedinte
Company of Heroes 2 - The Western Front Armies: Oberkommando West -- MB-C0FF66E58D2D3AE5 - Taken by jshackles

lindarasta

Neo Member
................................................................................................................................

ModBot said:
Instructions for lindarasta:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (lindarasta, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Litil Divil Steam game -- MB-8E75F2E790FDBCA6

Jadax

Random stuff.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Jadax:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Jadax, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Sims 3 Late Night (thesims3.com) -- MB-66128DB2F2DD0E1A
Company of Heroes 2 The Western Front Armies: Oberkommando West -- MB-D89EEC520507454A
Total War: ROME II - Caesar in Gaul (DLC) -- MB-D50E3B8D8DD1AE25
The Sims 3 High End Loft Stuff (thesims3.com) -- MB-74DA83E6D628ECEE
Insurgency -- MB-D4ABF1CCD6CEFC39

t1416965084z1.png

did you use it today? i need help :( idk if im doing something wrong or if its fixed

I tried VPN to the shop.ubi.com store in Ukraine over the weekend for the <$25 DA:I.
My order still shows as placed... the charge is still pending authorization against my cc... but the game code was never given to me.

Turfster

THE STEAM SALE STARTS AT THE SAME TIME AS EVERYTHING ON STEAM EVER CHANGES EVERY DAY, SO 16 HOURS AND 45 MINUTES FROM NOW

(don't take it personal, salazar, you're just like the 10th person to ask this =p)

Am I the only one not buying anything during the sale? xD

Nope. Metal Gear Ground Zeroes comes on December, probably the same day as the winter sale.

Unless REALLY good deals, I won't bother. As they will appear on the Winter sales, if the last fall Fall-Winter sales is anything to go by.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
THE STEAM SALE STARTS AT THE SAME TIME AS EVERYTHING ON STEAM EVER CHANGES EVERY DAY, SO 16 HOURS AND 45 MINUTES FROM NOW

(don't take it personal, salazar, you're just like the 10th person to ask this =p)

I take it the use of highlight means that DRAGON the game will be part of the sale?

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:

Aces Wild: Manic Brawling Action -- MB-68A5684F46DC86E3 - Taken by cardinalmind
Dear Anonymous Benefactor,
the Aces Wild link you've given away just redirects me to the main indiegala page. I think the link was cut off in the middle.

I might not be able to reply immediately since I'm preparing for school now, but please let me know if its just a problem in my part.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
remind me to buy walking dead season 2 this time, playing wolf among us got my telltale juices flowing

cicero

Image is relevant:

If you don't mind me asking, what is your own take as to why Valve seems to be pushing this? For me it seems out of character, unless I am missing something obvious here. Maybe this is just another hands off type approach to a problem that is being "fixed" by a somewhat lazy solution that ignores or dismisses potential issues until they become too big to ignore? Like how they came up with Greenlight instead of a better process for game submissions.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
black friday origin sale. they have some pretty good deals atm. we even discussed this a bit earlier on steam rhak >.>

im not that extreme of a deal chaser that I need to VPN a $=€ sale, im sorry. Especially when buying shit with VPNs is considered quite risky (at least on steam)

Asgaro

Am I the only one not buying anything during the sale? xD

Same.
And here a copy/paste of my reasoning I posted a while ago. :p

Since a few weeks I have literally completely stopped buying games exactly because of this reason.
I will now first complete my backlog before buying games again, except if they arrive in a bundle.

Because these are games that have already been in bundles, but that I already bought before that happened! Although, yes, for only € 4.99 to € 9.99 but it's still something.

The following games have all been featured in a bundle, but most of them I bought separately for a low price.
I completed around 95% of these games btw. The other 5% I tried but didn't like to go through with it.
So I don't feel bad about these purchases.

• Just Cause 2
  • Dead Island
  • Faster Than Light
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent
  • Alan Wake
  • BioShock
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum
  • Fieldrunners 2
  • Bastion
  • Metro 2033
  • Mini Ninjas
  • Alien Rage
  • Mark of the Ninja
  • Papers, Please
  • Plants vs. Zombies
  • Payday: The Heist
  • Red Orchestra 2
  • F.E.A.R. 2
  • Mirror's Edge
  • FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage
  • Lone Survivor
  • The Binding of Isaac
  • Stacking
  • Sanctum
  • To the Moon
  • Hitman: Blood Money
  • Alan Wake's American Nightmare
  • F.E.A.R.
  • Spec Ops: The Line
  • Game Dev Tycoon
  • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
  • Hotline Miami
  • Gone Home
  • Magicka
  • Audiosurf
  • Limbo
  • Tropico 3
  • World of Goo
  • Braid

But now a list of games featured in a bundle, which I bought separately for a low price, but I have yet to even play them.
I could have avoided these useless purchases by only buying them when I actually would have the time to play them.

• Always Sometimes Monsters
  • Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
  • Batman: Arkham City
  • Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
  • Deus Ex
  • Don't Starve
  • GRID 2
  • Gunpoint
  • Hammerwatch
  • Kingdom Rush
  • Knock-knock
  • Papo & Yo
  • Primal Carnage
  • Sanctum 2
  • Civilization V
  • Sir, You Are Being Hunted
  • Slender: The Arrival
  • Spelunky
  • The Cat Lady
  • The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
  • The Stanley Parable

Finally a list of games on my wishlist, which I managed to get through a bundle.

• Mafia 2
  • Saints Row: The Third
  • Sniper Elite V2
  • Rising Storm
  • Dead Space 2
  • Joe Danger 2
  • Little Inferno
  • Betrayer
  • Consortium
  • Insurgency
  • Mind: Path to Thalamus
  • Prison Architect
  • Reus
  • Risk of Rain
  • System Shock 2

So yeah...
Now only when a wishlisted game arrives in a bundle, I'll buy it.
The good thing about this is: by using this "system" I allow myself more easily to complete my backlog without piling up new games at the same time.

Because in the past I bought any wishlisted game that got to <= €9.99.
Then I had to transition to <= €6.00 or below.
But games keep dropping below that price point of €6.00 too fast for my taste (partially due to bundles) so I'll now only buy games in bundles.

Personal findings:

- As soon as a game ever had a sale where it eventually dropped to around €6.00, chances are high it will be made available in a bundle in the future. Mostly applies to indie games but sometimes even some AAA games.
- As soon as a game has been released in a bundle, chances are low it will return in a bundle in the future. So when you have a game that applies to that criteria, just buy it separately when it's cheap.

Rhaknar

You could also just pay the prices they're asking for games in your own currency, you know =p
Most of them are pretty low.

like I said. to each its own but like...dude its 5€, do you really need to VPN to pay $5 which what... 4.20€ or something? come on

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm closing in on 500 games and I'd get depressed if I saw my Steam library as a backlog. Considering there are games there I'll most likely not even touch in my lifetime I'd rather see it as a Netflix-style library that I have access to which keeps growing while I pay a certain amount annually.

My first couple of Steam sales were expectedly crazy. Now that I'm settled down, during sales time or not my loose personal rule for purchases is (for games around 20 dollars or under, I generally don't buy them above that price):

-Game I'm interested in and intend to play one day: will buy during a 75% or 80% off sale, or if I perceive it as cheap enough.
-Game I'll play in that same week: will buy on release if I think it's reasonably cheap or when it gets a moderate discount.
-Bundles: only if I'll play at least one of the games in it.
-Not purchase related but: don't care about beating or completing games unless they continue being fun and legitimately keep me interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom