• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins gate 0 coming to the west

Gvitor

No time like the present. I'm not sure I can even recommend Steins;Gate 0 to someone who hasn't played the original since it's so closely tied to it.

In short, play Steins;Gate before even looking for information on this game.

First is a standalone game that's fantastic in it's own right but yes you should play it now. Don't look at anything to do with 0 since its so closely tied to the first game you'll get spoiled.

I thought this one was a prequel based on the, erhm, "0". But oh well, I'll play the first one soon then.

MegaMelon

I thought this one was a prequel based on the, erhm, "0". But oh well, I'll play the first one soon then.

Yeah I'd have thought the same. It's not quite a straight sequel either but...well when you play the first game you'll understand.

In for the Vita version.

The first had a weird delay here in Australia, just seemed to pop up with no fanfare on online retailers months after the EU release.

Now that I'm invested in the franchise though I can't wait and see, I'll be day 1 importing this if they pull that again :p

Mugen08

Will probably pick it up for Vita if they also release digitally (which I assume they will). Played Steins;Gate on PC but I might've preferred it on a handheld console or on my smartphone.

I've been on an unintentional blackout of sorts with 0. How's the reception been?

I've heard it's really good. As good, if not better, than the first. But that's subject to personal opinion obviously.

If anyone cares, here's the OP movie. I guess technically this can be a spoiler if you didn't finish the first game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b7trGwGgv8

EDIT: Best music to come out of 0 - Gate of Steiner with english lyrics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=761EXPev0OA

Also on a reairing of the anime in Japan a while back episode 23 diverged from the original as a set-up for 0.

Andrefpvs

Anyone else can't decide immediately which version to get?

I want to play in bed, so probably the Vita. But then again, I could use Remote Play for that, and still keep access to the 1080p art and PS4 system features.

Omikaru

To explain would be to spoil Steins;Gate. You'll thank us once you've finished it.

I'm generally a fan of playing games in release order anyway. Even if this were a prequel, I'd still recommend playing the original because it was released before it.

It's like saying people should play MGS3 before MGS1 or 2, which makes no sense because MGS3 is a continuation/evolution of the plotlines, themes and gameplay of the previous games, even if chronologically its story takes place before them.

If in doubt, always play in release order. I don't want to give any specific details about why that's the case with this game, however.

Anyone else can't decide immediately which version to get?

I want to play in bed, so probably the Vita. But then again, I could use Remote Play for that, and still keep access to the 1080p art and PS4 system features.

If it's cross-save, I'm getting both. It's probably not though, is it? I may just grab it for Vita for continuity's sake, since I have the original on Vita.

Stuart444

From what I've read (only watched the anime of the first game though), it's very very closely tied. It's both a prequel and a sequel (to certain events). (best way I can think to describe it)

Literally the first few minutes of 0 spoils some major stuff in the first game.

So uhh, I know that sounds confusing so just trust people when they say don't look up ANYTHING on 0 without completing the first game or even just watch the anime (and then play the game for the other non-canon endings :p which is what I plan to do)

ys45

YES

Oh shit and the release is 2016 0_0
So that would mean they started translating the game shortly after the JP release ?

I'm hoping Vita version is physical.

Sure is!

http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/store/steins-gate-0-ps-vita

steins-gate-0-ps-vita-box-productshot-170x220.jpg

LiK

Will probably pick it up for Vita if they also release digitally (which I assume they will). Played Steins;Gate on PC but I might've preferred it on a handheld console or on my smartphone.

They will. First game was released digitally for both versions.

aravuus

Well then, looks like it's finally time to actually play the first VN. I've seen (and absolutely loved) the anime before, but I never got very far in the VN.

ys45

Well then, looks like it's finally time to actually play the first VN. I've seen (and absolutely loved) the anime before, but I never got very far in the VN.

I also saw the anime first but believe me, you want to play the game too, so much more details and dialog and you will understand the story even better .
And those characters ending are a must see .

Best 40ish hours I spent on the Vita in 2015

Pedersen

Recently finished the first one without knowing this existed. Became so attached to the cast that I've been kinda down since lol. This is clearly the choice of Steins;Gate!

Mendax

anime is good but VN is soo much better! enjoy it!

Recently finished the first one without knowing this existed. Became so attached to the cast that I've been kinda down since lol. This is clearly the choice of Steins;Gate!

apparently there are 2 more games that are JP only, need to get them sometime

Linkark07

Banned
Excellent. Now, we shall uncover the plot of the Organization. Our Mad Scientist, Hououin Kyouma, will finally control the past, present and future.

Operation Thor shall start soon.

El Psy Congroo

No time like the present. I'm not sure I can even recommend Steins;Gate 0 to someone who hasn't played the original since it's so closely tied to it.

In short, play Steins;Gate before even looking for information on this game.

Yep , the bolded has never be more important.

Also steins gate's awesome

BKK

Looks like the pc version will come later on, if at all. Hmmm. Tempted to get a ps4 now.

Yep, same here. I don't know how long the wait for the PC version will be. The timing might be good with the new PS4 model rumoured to be releasing later this year.

Kyonashi

Okay for someone who hasn't played the first game but *has* watched the anime to pick this up? I don't have a PS3 anymore, I do have a Vita, but I've always wanted to play visual novel on a proper PlayStation home console on a big TV.

Still a bit confused as to how it works re: prequel/sequel.

Top Bottom