• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steph Curry Supernova

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curry's on his own level right now but he now he has to sustain it. So far, so good. This is probably historically the greatest shooting stretch happening but can he do it for five, six, seven more seasons?

Cheebo

Banned
Curry is hot now but he's mostly been playing scrub teams. Let's wait before crowning him.

Steve Nash and Ray Allen would like to have a word...
There is no way anyone can claim Nash or Allen are even close to Curry in talent. He is in another league, completely.

JohnsonUT

There is no way anyone can claim Nash or Allen are even close to Curry in talent. He is in another league, completely.

Curry is like Nash on steroids. I would say that their offensive games are at least comparable with Curry having a leg up in most areas and with time to improve. The big difference is on defense. Nash was a huge liability on defense. Nash could score 20 and get 20 assists and then give up 40 on the other end. Curry is anywhere from an average defender to a good one, depending on who you ask.

He needs to do it for at least 5-6+ seasons before he can be considered amongst the greats.

He's started off well this season, but he's also played some of the worst teams too...

Cheebo

Banned
He needs to do it for at least 5-6+ seasons before he can be considered amongst the greats.

He's started off well this season, but he's also played some of the worst teams too...
The Clippers are far from one of the worst teams. They are one of the best in the league this season.

The Clippers are far from one of the worst teams. They are one of the best in the league this season.

Not talking about the Clippers specifically. GSW have one of the easiest strength of schedule this season (teams they have faced are cumulatively below 500)

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I wish more players would go to the set shot, curry like Bird are set shooters. They seem to be more consistent and don't get as tired.

Someone like rose would have benefited from a set shot. would be less stress on knees and simplify his motion.

Btw Bulls will hand them the first loss.

To be fair the Raptors would be one of the best teams if they could play basketball in the last 2 minutes. 5 of 6 losses came down to the final 30 seconds :(. That being said they cant so they are not.

I wish more players would go to the set shot, curry like Bird are set shooters. They seem to be more consistent and don't get as tired.

Someone like rose would have benefited from a set shot. would be less stress on knees and simplify his motion.

Being taller and having extra upper body strength helps with the set shot. You need the right release point to prevent getting blocked.

Bulls aren't winning

I have no idea how any team can beat the Warriors that doesnt involve locking Steph Curry up in a closet for the duration of the game.

Aside from him they move the ball so well.

JohnsonUT

I have no idea how any team can beat the Warriors that doesnt involve locking Steph Curry up in a closet for the duration of the game.

Aside from him they move the ball so well.

I really hope to see Spurs vs. Warriors in WCF this year to see Kawhi try and guard him in crunch time.

hbkdx12

As someone who's not an avid sports fan, watching steph curry and the warriors run through the playoffs last year was awesome and made me tune in at the start of this season to watch the incredible performance they've put on so far.

Yes, curry is lethal from pretty much anywhere on the court. Yes, curry can do damage with just an inch of space. Yes curry has handles upon handles but the thing that makes curry so dynamic and amazing to watch is that he makes it all look so got damn effortless.

Everytime steph curry has the ball i feel like im watching someone play 21 at the playground. The way he uses his handles to string moves together, he'll dance on you for 10 seconds straight with no indication of what he's gonna do next. It's truly like watching a video game.

No one has his level of finesse and efficiency. Not even close

And all that is before you even consider that the rest of the team is actually solid as fuck and can actually pull their weight. So it's not like game in game out he has to put the whole entire team on his back.

He's just a fantastic player with an amazing supporting cast for a team and it's crazy that people at this point still doubt their talent or credibility in regards to being champions.

zo7hTqE.jpg

Well you kinda need curry's quick release to get off set shots which probably is significantly harder to develop than a proper jump shot. Steph doesn't take that fraction of a second to size up his shot as he's got ridiculous muscle memory.

gcubed

The guy is absolutely amazing and has got me back into basketball the last two years.

I'm curious if he can maintain his skill level to be remembered as one of the best, his wild shots and quick stop pull ups just seems to me like it would fade faster than normal. I hope not, that warriors team is fun to watch

phanphare

Banned
Not talking about the Clippers specifically. GSW have one of the easiest strength of schedule this season (teams they have faced are cumulatively below 500)

you'd maybe (maaaaaybe) have a point if curry wasn't the mvp last season and the warriors didn't have a historic regular season coming away with the title

but reality happens to be reality so..

No the fuck he doesnt, hes already lead his team to NBA title, something Nash never did. If he never played another game, he would be remembered as a top 100 all time great and the new age Pistol Pete.

They beat the Grizz by 50 points, wtf.

Edit: Curry is not a set shooter, he's a jump shooter, double wtf.

The guy is absolutely amazing and has got me back into basketball the last two years.

I'm curious if he can maintain his skill level to be remembered as one of the best, his wild shots and quick stop pull ups just seems to me like it would fade faster than normal. I hope not, that warriors team is fun to watch

Steph's shot will be the last thing that goes from his game. He's shot like this at all points of his career...From college to now (I mean he took Davidson to the Final Four...). It's just that he's more efficient with his game. The thing that wasn't there when he first came into the league was his handles, defense and tricky finishes around the rim.

They beat the Grizz by 50 points, wtf.

Edit: Curry is not a set shooter, he's a jump shooter, double wtf.

I think a better way to say it is that Steph isn't your classic jump shooter who tries to fadeaway or out jump the defender when shooting. He pulls up and the ball is out before the defender can even gather to contest.

Anth0ny

legit can't believe they came back yesterday. holy fuck.

if rose doesn't play tonight it should be free, too.

.... well, even if he does play it'll probably be free

Trey

Curry isn't a set shooter. He's not a screen shooter. He's not a jump shooter. He's the greatest shooter in the history of basketball. He can shoot the ball from any where in any context. He demands to be defended from 30 feet because that's a legitimate shot from him. He can create his own shot with a lighting quick release and prodigious handling ability. He will own the first three season made threes record slots after this season, shooting at a historic percentage.

It's not like he just jacks up a bunch of poor shots to get his numbers up. He shoots 14 threes and makes 8 of them a game. That's unprecedented. We are watching an evolutionary step in the sport of basketball right now. He was ridiculous before, and this season he's *better*. There are few superlatives Steph Curry's shooting would not be worthy of, and this is all before you talk about his court vision, passing ability, ability to finish at the rim. And that's just the player in a vacuum: Steph's team complements his game and efficiency in general completely. And they've all bought in, and there is a plethora of talent all throughout their rotation.

This is an all time team. Curry is an all time player. I'm just glad I get to see it unfold. Every GSW game is must watch basketball.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Legit though, I've never seen anyone have more of encouraged green light compared to Steph. Kobe probably had just as much of a green light, but because of how much iso "fuck you, I will be Jordan" ball he played, there were sometimes moans and groans about it.

Not with Curry, he has the biggest fucking green light ever. Like Trey just said, everyone has bought in. They're fucking happy when he shoots, they want him to shoot. Even the crazy ones.

AgonizingPoliticalGreatdane.gif

Look at this. He pumps from close to 30 feet and Jamal (lolJamal) jumps like it's a 15 footer. That's because for Steph, it is. Then he steps up and every single person in the building knew it was going in. (Even the Clippers bench knew it was going in, LOL)

PBY

Banned
Curry isn't a set shooter. He's not a screen shooter. He's not a jump shooter. He's the greatest shooter in the history of basketball. He can shoot the ball from any where in any context. He demands to be defended from 30 feet because that's a legitimate shot from him. He can create his own shot with a lighting quick release and prodigious handling ability. He will own the first three season made threes record slots after this season, shooting at a historic percentage.

It's not like he just jacks up a bunch of poor shots to get his numbers up. He shoots 14 threes and makes 8 of them a game. That's unprecedented. We are watching an evolutionary step in the sport of basketball right now. He was ridiculous before, and this season he's *better*. There are few superlatives Steph Curry's shooting would not be worthy of, and this is all before you talk about his court vision, passing ability, ability to finish at the rim. And that's just the player in a vacuum: Steph's team complements his game and efficiency in general completely. And they've all bought in, and there is a plethora of talent all throughout their rotation.

This is an all time team. Curry is an all time player. I'm just glad I get to see it unfold. Every GSW game is must watch basketball.

Can't disagree with anything here.

Teams are honestly going to have create a box and 1 kind of scheme--some kind of man and zone defense hybrid. The way things are now--coaches are going to have to get very innovative defensively against GS.

Pastry

Banned
Teams are honestly going to have create a box and 1 kind of scheme--some kind of man and zone defense hybrid. The way things are now--coaches are going to have to get very innovative defensively against GS.

Pop is the only one that'll get close to figuring it out. With the Spurs D this season it's going to be a fun series. It's too bad they don't play each other until January, probably good for the Spurs though since it gives Aldridge more time to get comfortable.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Curry is playing at Michael Jordan levels now, and I don't say that as hyperbole. He is dominating the game the way MJ was dominating the game at his peak. Of course MJ did it for years, Curry's done it for 13 games. But it's exciting. I didn't know Steph had another gear in him, I really didn't.

I think the 13 L's the Warriors have hung on their opponents contribute to that cumulative record.

It's tough to say what teams are strong and which are also-ran right now. For example, the Rockets.

Pop has Kawhi and Danny Green to check Steph Curry. I don't think any other team has that. I dunno...Spurs will be a huge litmus test.

Look at this. He pumps from close to 30 feet and Jamal (lolJamal) jumps like it's a 15 footer. That's because for Steph, it is. Then he steps up and every single person in the building knew it was going in. (Even the Clippers bench knew it was going in, LOL)

Another example is the Iggy inbound to Dray where Steph manages to drag 3 Clips just by looking like a threat.

No the fuck he doesnt, hes already lead his team to NBA title, something Nash never did. If he never played another game, he would be remembered as a top 100 all time great and the new age Pistol Pete.

He led his team to a title, but he wasn't even the best player on his team in the playoffs. And his team his stacked, which is a luxury Nash didn't always have.

I like the guy, btw, I just don't like the superlatives.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I didn't even notice Blake in that gif. Look at Blake. He doesn't even act like he's going to get a rebound off of it.
Another example is the Iggy inbound to Dray where Steph manages to drag 3 Clips just by looking like a threat.
Yeah those magnet assists are real. The amount of open looks he gets for everyone (outside of Klay, who does get a lot of contested threes off) is ridiculous.

He led his team to a title, but he wasn't even the best player on his team in the playoffs. And his team his stacked, which is a luxury Nash didn't always have.

Lol. LOL

phanphare

Banned
He led his team to a title, but he wasn't even the best player on his team (as he didn't win Finals MVP). And his team his stacked, which is a luxury Nash didn't always have.

that's pretty disingenuous, lol

he was absolutely the best player on the team then. that's why the cavs had to try and shut him down and force other players to step up.

The Spurs don't really matchup well. Individual defenders are worthless against Curry. If you go back and DVR the game last night, both Chris Paul and Austin Rivers were positionally perfect 90% of the time.

The only way you beat GS is through having players that can't be stopped. The Clips had that for 40 of the 48 minutes between Paul and Blake last night. LeBron was doing it in the finals to the tune of two wins.

Fjordson

Curry is hot now but he's mostly been playing scrub teams. Let's wait before crowning him.

Steve Nash and Ray Allen would like to have a word...
Curry didn't just start doing this, though. He's already broken Ray Allen's record for made 3's in a season. Twice. He broke Reggie Miller's playoff record of 58 threes in 22 games and it only took him 13. Even in his rookie year on a terrible team with a terrible coaching staff he made 166 3's on 43% shooting. He's been a good shooter for his entire career.

It even goes back to his college days. Curry's #8 all-time on the NCAA's list for 3 pointers made and he's the only guy in the entire top 25 who did it in less than 4 seasons.

Zero doubt in my mind that Curry's the greatest shooter ever at this point. Only thing that's left is for him to catch Ray Allen's career made 3's, which should happen at the pace he's on.

Huh? Did you watch any of their games...? Curry averaged 28, 6 and 5 while shooting over 42% from deep (on 11 attempts!!!). He was unquestionably their best player.

I don't get the "he needs to prove himself for 5 more years before crowned as the greatest shooter of all time". His worst shooting season from 3 was 42% on high volume attempts too. His worst shooting season is better than Ray Allen and equivalent to Steve Nash's career 3 point shooting %.. He's broken the record for most 3's made in a season two years running and is on pace to nearly double the record he set last season.

Fjordson

I don't get the "he needs to prove himself for 5 more years before crowned as the greatest shooter of all time". His worst shooting season from 3 was 42% on high volume attempts too. His worst shooting season is better than Ray Allen and equivalent to Steve Nash's career 3 point shooting %.. He's broken the record for most 3's made in a season two years running and is on pace to nearly double the record he set last season.
Yeah, this is what I meant earlier when I said some people are reluctant to call him the greatest shooter ever.

I'm not sure what it is. Maybe because he's skinny and still looks like he's 17. The idea of him dominating the NBA freaks some people out.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I'm just happy for him. Wouldn't want it to be another player. Super down to earth guy. I remember watching his dad play when I was a kid in charlotte. He must be so proud.

Everyone always argues you have to be cocky as fuck to be great. That doesn't seem to be working for ronda and lebron.

He is great but ick at basketball games being that high scoring. Play some D.

Warriors are currently 7th in defensive rating this year. ppg allowed is bad stat for tracking defenses because it doesn't take into account how fast a team plays. Traditionally good defensive teams play a slow pace and limit the amount of total possessions by using the shot clock fully on offense. The Warriors are very much built similarly to the 7 seconds or less Suns where the offense tries to run even on made baskets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom