• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steph Curry Supernova

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViciousDS

Banned
pX3Xu.jpg

someone needs to photoshop Curry onto Midorima in GIF form.....lol. He basically is Midorima. As Mido can also dribble and create his own shot as well.

gcubed

Pop has Kawhi and Danny Green to check Steph Curry. I don't think any other team has that. I dunno...Spurs will be a huge litmus test.

The problem with that is he can pass to at least 2 other guys on the court that can make open 3's. Sometime's he gets a bit sloppy with his passes during the game, but the team as a whole is great at moving the ball to punish doubles. You basically need someone that can stay on him constantly as well as be a legit offensive threat and hope that would slow him down.

He finished with what? 36 yesterday? They got him in trouble in the first quarter and he had 3 points.... Then 33 the rest of the way.

googly

Curry is playing at Michael Jordan levels now, and I don't say that as hyperbole. He is dominating the game the way MJ was dominating the game at his peak. Of course MJ did it for years, Curry's done it for 13 games. But it's exciting. I didn't know Steph had another gear in him, I really didn't.

First off I want to say I think Curry is an unbelievable player and will go down as one of the best shooters of all time, I love watching him play but I don't think is true. Jordan would control the game at both ends of the floor, Curry is a decent defensive player but no where near the level Jordan was at. Last night I think Chris Paul started off 7/7.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I don't get the "he needs to prove himself for 5 more years before crowned as the greatest shooter of all time". His worst shooting season from 3 was 42% on high volume attempts too. His worst shooting season is better than Ray Allen and equivalent to Steve Nash's career 3 point shooting %.. He's broken the record for most 3's made in a season two years running and is on pace to nearly double the record he set last season.

Small sample size. Need at least a full decade's worth of season stats first.

t23gVV8.png

the efficiency is just insane.

Somemore stat fun:
As only they could, the Warriors went absolutely bonkers in the fourth quarter with their eight 3-pointers giving them a 100.0 effective field goal percentage in that frame. On the season, Curry still has a ridiculous 69.2 true shooting percentage (TS%) to go with his third-ranked 33.6 usage rate -- no player in NBA history has posted a usage rate of at least 33 with a TS% of at least 64. He's on pace for 428 treys on the season and is on pace to be the most efficient high-volume player in one season.

RootCause

Lol remember him getting passed over having slow feet. I don't root for the Warriors, but he is fun to watch. Truly a special talent.

As I posted above LeBron was the best player in the league arguably 7 years in a row. Jordan, arguably the last 10 full seasons he played with the Bulls. Steph has already a accomplished a lot but his career isn't there yet.

He led his team to a title, but he wasn't even the best player on his team in the playoffs. And his team his stacked, which is a luxury Nash didn't always have.

I like the guy, btw, I just don't like the superlatives.

Are you thinking that Finals Mvp really means that Iggy was the best player through those playoffs? Because lol

Also the Suns were stacked from 2004 to 2007 (04-05 team had Matrix, Stoudemire, Joe Johnson, Jim Jackson, Leandro Barbosa, Richardson). As was the last Mavs team Nash played on (Nowitzki, Finley, Jamison, Walker, Daniels, Howard). And the last Lakers team he played on, though he himself was injured for most of that.

Fjordson

Lebron's career is obviously better overall, but Curry is the better player right now imo.

First off I want to say I think Curry is an unbelievable player and will go down as one of the best shooters of all time, I love watching him play but I don't think is true. Jordan would control the game at both ends of the floor, Curry is a decent defensive player but no where near the level Jordan was at. Last night I think Chris Paul started off 7/7.
You're right in that he's nowhere near Jordan on that end, though Curry is an underrated defender. Warriors were an incredible defensive team last year and have been good again this year and because of the way they constantly switch on the perimeter, Curry needs to pull his own weight most of the time. And his defensive metrics bear that out (he's also third in the league in steals, but that can be misleading).

As I posted above LeBron was the best player in the league arguably 7 years in a row. Jordan, arguably the last 10 full seasons he played with the Bulls. Steph has already a accomplished a lot but his career isn't there yet.

Are you thinking that Finals Mvp really means that Iggy was the best player through those playoffs? Because lol

Also the Suns were stacked from 2004 to 2007 (04-05 team had Matrix, Stoudemire, Joe Johnson, Jim Jackson, Leandro Barbosa, Richardson). As was the last Mavs team Nash played on (Nowitzki, Finley, Jamison, Walker, Daniels, Howard). And the last Lakers team he played on, though he himself was injured for most of that.

Best player in the league is definitely debateable but he is by far the best shooter in the league and when it's all said and done will be considered one of if not the best shooter historically.

Curry isn't a set shooter. He's not a screen shooter. He's not a jump shooter. He's the greatest shooter in the history of basketball. He can shoot the ball from any where in any context. He demands to be defended from 30 feet because that's a legitimate shot from him. He can create his own shot with a lighting quick release and prodigious handling ability. He will own the first three season made threes record slots after this season, shooting at a historic percentage.

It's not like he just jacks up a bunch of poor shots to get his numbers up. He shoots 14 threes and makes 8 of them a game. That's unprecedented. We are watching an evolutionary step in the sport of basketball right now. He was ridiculous before, and this season he's *better*. There are few superlatives Steph Curry's shooting would not be worthy of, and this is all before you talk about his court vision, passing ability, ability to finish at the rim. And that's just the player in a vacuum: Steph's team complements his game and efficiency in general completely. And they've all bought in, and there is a plethora of talent all throughout their rotation.

This is an all time team. Curry is an all time player. I'm just glad I get to see it unfold. Every GSW game is must watch basketball.
And the fucking Warriors have him signed to possibly the best dollar to performance contract since Lebron's rookie deal.

Fjordson

off-topic, but wow @ that basketball anime. There are full on dialogue scenes in the middle of the game and shit lmao. Amazing.

Steve Nash and Ray Allen would like to have a word...

Neither are as prolific from basically any shooting context. This guy is shooting 50%+ and 40%+ from 3, with 11 of his shots being 3 pointers. For reference, Nash was putting up those percentages on less than half the volume. That is an entirely different stratosphere. Other differences? Curry's ability to shoot from range off the dribble. Nash picked his spots differently, looked for seams to shoot when open but thought pass-first. Curry will cross you over and pop from 25 in the blink of an eye, like the defender ain't even there, splash. Guys are shitting their pants when he crosses half-court. To top off the shooting, he's got some of the best handles ever so if you're going to overplay him for the shot, he's just going to break your ankles and drive creating for his teammates or right to the rim.

He is on a completely different level as a shooter from anyone I've ever seen in 25-30 of years of basketball. I mean shit, is anyone even thinking about anyone else right now? Lebron and Durant have become afterthoughts. Westbrook is AVERAGING 28/10/8 for the year, has anyone really noticed? That's how transcendent Curry is playing right now.

Legit though, I've never seen anyone have more of encouraged green light compared to Steph. Kobe probably had just as much of a green light, but because of how much iso "fuck you, I will be Jordan" ball he played, there were sometimes moans and groans about it.

Not with Curry, he has the biggest fucking green light ever. Like Trey just said, everyone has bought in. They're fucking happy when he shoots, they want him to shoot. Even the crazy ones.

AgonizingPoliticalGreatdane.gif

Look at this. He pumps from close to 30 feet and Jamal (lolJamal) jumps like it's a 15 footer. That's because for Steph, it is. Then he steps up and every single person in the building knew it was going in. (Even the Clippers bench knew it was going in, LOL)

.gif cut off just before the Curry shimmy. I want a close up of that shimmy!

Apath

Lebron's career is obviously better overall, but Curry is the better player right now imo.

You're right in that he's nowhere near Jordan on that end, though Curry is an underrated defender. Warriors were an incredible defensive team last year and have been good again this year and because of the way they constantly switch on the perimeter, Curry needs to pull his own weight most of the time. And his defensive metrics bear that out (he's also third in the league in steals, but that can be misleading).
Yeah, Lebron doesn't really come into form until the second half of the season/playoffs. When it comes to playoffs, there is no question Lebron is the best player in the world and one of the best to ever play the game.

Fjordson

Yeah, Lebron doesn't really come into form until the second half of the season/playoffs. When it comes to playoffs, there is no question Lebron is the best player in the world and one of the best to ever play the game.
No one is trying to disparage Lebron's overall legacy. I'm saying right now, November 20th, 2015, Stephen Curry is the best player in the NBA.

Unfortunately, he is very good. I don't like this warriors team though. If he played for someone else, some team coached by someone other than Kerr, I might like him.

I can't wait for Ben Simmons to play NBA though,that guy also makes bball look easy but hers Australian.

Unfortunately, he is very good. I don't like this warriors team though. If he played for someone else, some team coached by someone other than Kerr, I might like him.

I can't wait for Ben Simmons to play NBA though,that guy also makes bball look easy but hers Australian.

Are they airing LSU basketball games in Australia?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

But the Warriors have an Aussie already. And Luke Walton is the coach!

t23gVV8.png

Are they airing LSU basketball games in Australia?

Yep, espn is airing all LSU games live and replaying them in the evening this year just for Simmons, it's awesome

But the Warriors have an Aussie already. And Luke Walton is the coach!

t23gVV8.png

Bogut is a dick, and another reason why I dislike the Warriors. Before he ever played an NBA game, he said to the media that he's the best basketballer Australia has ever produced, effectively shitting on some of my favourite Australians to have played the game. Yeah he was no.1 pick, but there were some good Aussie bballers in the 90s and early 2000s who were good enough to play nba but didn't get the chance (Andrew gaze won a championship with San Antonio, though didn't get a lot of time).

I loved how Delly had a much better finals series than bogut. I mean delly is humble, works hard, and put the Boomers ahead of NBA. Pretty much the opposite of bogut.

Fjordson

I loved how Delly had a much better finals series than bogut. I mean delly is humble, works hard, and put the Boomers ahead of NBA. Pretty much the opposite of bogut.
Delly is a dirty player and not that good though.

Also, the fact that Bogut got his title ring fitted for his middle finger makes him one of the greatest players of all time.

Yep, espn is airing all LSU games live and replaying them in the evening this year just for Simmons, it's awesome

Bogut is a dick, and another reason why I dislike the Warriors. Before he ever played an NBA game, he said to the media that he's the best basketballer Australia has ever produced, effectively shitting on some of my favourite Australians to have played the game. Yeah he was no.1 pick, but there were some good Aussie bballers in the 90s and early 2000s who were good enough to play nba but didn't get the chance (Andrew gaze won a championship with San Antonio, though didn't get a lot of time).

Australians are obsessed with Australian athletes playing sports in the US lol. Who's that decent Aussie that plays on the Spurs? Patty Mills I think. I wouldn't be surprised if Patty Mills jerseys are everywhere in Australia lol

CSX

Omfg the face I made when I woke up and saw the box score after going to bed after halftime....

Wow just wow

Delly is a dirty player and not that good though.

Also, the fact that Bogut got his title ring fitted for his middle finger makes him one of the greatest players of all time.

Delly embodies the "Aussie battler" spirit though. Bogut is more how Aussies see US sportsmen, arrogant, and he is less likeable.

If you took a poll of Australian public who they'd prefer to have a beer with - delly or bogut - 99 out of 100 would say delly.

The fact he got it sized to his middle finger says it all really. I mean he was benched for the final three games, so that's why he feels the need to get it sized to that finger, so he can show it to people who give him shit about how shit he played. That's not classy.

Australians are obsessed with Australian athletes playing sports in the US lol. Who's that decent Aussie that plays on the Spurs? Patty Mills I think. I wouldn't be surprised if Patty Mills jerseys are everywhere in Australia lol

Yeah there a few mills jerseys around. Ive seen some San Fran hats (for Jarryd Hayne in the nfl) lately too.

Yeah, Aussies love sports and we are pretty good at most team sports we play (given only a couple hundred thousand people play bball in Australia and we have seven I think on nba rosters is pretty good). However no Australian has really ever dominated a US sport yet hence we root for them hard. It's a little bit like small man syndrome, having an Aussie do well makes us proud as it shows the world Aussies can do anything well. We're patriotic as well.

I think it's also because the sports which Australia is best at (cricket, Australian football, NRL, rugby, netball, swimming) are sports which most of the world doesn't really play.

basketball and soccer are two very highly participated sports in Australia at the moment and hopefully we can start producing some world class stars in those sports soon. There a few good Aussie bballers coming though and some good soccer players coming though too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom