• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V is getting thrashed by the Steam reviews

RE_Player

12627835_435281516660364_1029156423_n.jpg
When I saw that playing the game I legit felt embarrassed for the people that made the game. Complete trash.

Mupod

I dont honestly know how somehow can support a company like Capcom thinking its okay to release the game in its current state.

because it's the best fighting game I've played in a very long time if not since the 90s. I've played a ton of them but what's the point of 'content' if the game itself doesn't grab me? MVC3 had fuck all to the game, was obsolete in under a year and its online was garbage...still had tons of fun with it. SF5 is going to be continually supported and has solid netcode, yes I'd like more but if they had called this early access beta I'd be in anyways.

I'm supportive of the people criticizing the game because in the end all this can do is get us a better game. But don't try and tell me I'm personally wrong for buying it, like you're in disbelief I'm able to have fun with the game. Most of my time with it has been local vs so far, which is lacking nothing.

No. Marvel 3 received the same criticism when MK9 was released around the same period.

marvel did not get shit on anywhere near to this degree, and it was lacking a lot of EXTREMELY basic stuff too. At least this time we only have to wait a month for spectator lobbies and they won't cost $40.

farisr

I'm supportive of the people criticizing the game because in the end all this can do is get us a better game. But don't try and tell me I'm personally wrong for buying it, like you're in disbelief I'm able to have fun with the game
Yeah, I'm not against the people who are enjoying this game and are satisfied with this game as is. But only have an issue with those telling others that they're in the wrong for expecting more or for criticizing capcom's decisions/communication, or are not "true" fans because they personally are having a blast with the game in its current state and couldn't care less for other modes. Also the accusations that it's just dogpiling or xbox users, or just complaining for the heck of it. as though these aren't legitimate issues from legitimate fans.

marvel did not get shit on anywhere near to this degree, and it was lacking a lot of EXTREMELY basic stuff too. At least this time we only have to wait a month for spectator lobbies and they won't cost $40.

oh yes it did. it was the entire start of all of this. All because of MK9 story mode and the Krypt. prior to that game it was only sf4/ssf4 which also had nothing.

farisr

I'm honestly not trying to be an ass, but this looks like basic concept art. I'm pretty shocked it's the actual, final artwork for the story mode
Yeah, when the tutorial mode images leaked from data mining, I thought "surely this is just placeholder art, that can't be the final version..."

A.E Suggs

maybe this could have been offset had they had more characters at launch. I mean KOF has 50 characters and probably more modes.

It does, but trust me its going to have its on battle around the time of its release. Especially since online is probably gonna be crap and people are gonna bash the graphics again. Probably going to bag on its story mode to for not being like MKX's.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm honestly not trying to be an ass, but this looks like basic concept art. I'm pretty shocked it's the actual, final artwork for the story mode.

Capcom really must be struggling financially. And Sony must not have given them a whole lot of cash.

It was rushed. The artist has been known to make some fantastic stuff but yeah, this is really bad.

farisr

oh yes it did. it was the entire start of all of this. All because of MK9 story mode. prior to that game it was only sf4/ssf4 which also had nothing.
I don't know about what state marvel was in, as I'm not really into the franchise, just occasionally played it at a friends place. But there were little to no complaints about SFIV in terms of SP content and the only criticism that I remember SSFIV getting was for the opening/ending cutscenes for arcade mode which Capcom said would be better than SFIV's, but actually turned out to be of lower quality. And both of these games shipped before MK9, so there were no story mode comparisons.

KevinCow

Banned
Not quite. Battlefront has like 4 maps and few weapons. SFV has 16 characters and a good amount of stages. But yeah, the single player leaves a lot to be desired in both.

You say this like 16 is a commendable number of characters for a fighting game released in 2016.

Vanilla SFIV had 25 characters in 2009. Most fighting games since then have had at least 20, many with considerably more than that.

SFV having only 16 characters at launch is as barebones as the rest of the game.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
SFV having only 16 characters at launch is as barebones as the rest of the game.

It's a good thing there are only 16 characters for balance and unique playstyles until it's a good thing that they are releasing new characters that strictly speaking don't require more money.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Reviewing the game poorly when you were told certain features would come later certainly is.

If promises got you extra credit on reviews, Godus would have been the game of the generation. What Capcom says is coming should have zero impact on a review today.

Mik317

You say this like 16 is a commendable number of characters for a fighting game released in 2016.

Vanilla SFIV had 25 characters in 2009. Most fighting games since then have had at least 20, many with considerably more than that.

considering how unique each character is and how much work goes into said characters...yes is is a fine number. Xrd had less. Time and time again people prove that they have no clue how much actually goes into making characters.

Reviewing the game poorly when you were told certain features would come later certainly is.

You're joking, right? I should give a game a great score and not have any criticisms for its lack of content...based on future promises? Is this really the hill you want to plan your flag on?

People paid $60 now, not later. It's fine if more features are coming later, but people are absolutely right to complain that things like VS CPU are missing. And guess what? A basic feature like this isn't even on the upcoming roadmap!

You review the product that exists now, not promises of future content that could potentially change and are impossible to review until they actually exist. A lot of people are of the frame of mind that what is on offer right now is insufficient to command a $60 pricetag.

If promises got you extra credit on reviews, Godus would have been the game of the generation. What Capcom says is coming should have zero impact on a review today.

You're joking, right? I should give a game a great score and not have any criticisms for its lack of content...based on future promises? Is this really the hill you want to plan your flag on?

People paid $60 now, not later. It's fine if more features are coming later, but people are absolutely right to complain that things like VS CPU are missing. And guess what? A basic feature like this isn't even on the upcoming roadmap!

You review the product that exists now, not promises of future content that could potentially change and are impossible to review until they actually exist. A lot of people are of the frame of mind that what is on offer right now is insufficient to command a $60 pricetag.

Then don't buy the game. It's silly to bag on a game after the fact when you were told what was included.

Quenk

That was the home release of SF4. The arcade version released with 17 playable characters, one of which was a hidden character.

Sorry, but what "basic features" means? Is there a checklist for this?

Vs CPU? Arcade Mode? Better online support?

At least the latter is coming next month.

Then don't buy the game. It's silly to bag on a game after the fact when you were told what was included.

Do you honestly think any reasonable person expected the lack of a VS CPU option? That's such a fundamental mode in a fighter, that I honestly don't think anyone, for a second, thought it would missing. And what's even crazier....it's not a part of their upcoming plans!

Mik317

You're joking, right? I should give a game a great score and not have any criticisms for it...based on future promises? Is this really the hill you want to plan your flag on?

and they paid for what is currently in the game now. Thats on them.

The constantly updating nature is a major part of the game....and thus it should be mentioned and taken into account.

if someone reads a review and see that content is currently lack BUT will be added to in the next few months, then they now know the full idea of what SFV is NOW and could be in the future. To ignore that is just silly.

Bottom line is, if the game being incomplete is such a big deal to you...then wait until it is complete. why is this just being ignored. The lacking arcade mode and vs cpu sucks hard...hopefully capcom listens and adds...but waiting for an updating game to have what you want shouldn't be this big deal.. Sometimes I wonder if the old method of keep buying new updates would be better for some of you.

Rudiano

Banned
I could swear this post sounded different before the edit.But whatever .
Stretching SF4 for CPT this year would have needed the support of top players, but since SF5 was announced and had a release date for this year it wasn't gonna be a thing. Last Evo was the last for SF4 and that was a clear statement. It would have been one gigantic delay if plans changed according to your idea, people would have been majorly confused at the very least .
If it's a waste of time to argue things then alright there isn't.

lol yeh as if every top player stopped playing SF4...the ones who did would have no problem going back to it. Everything changed when they couldnt finish SF5 on time. Simply release the game a few months later when its actually complete. WTF is the problem with delaying it? Would it have affected CPT? of course....but so what? its their fault that would have happened. CPT is not SF5. Its a bunch of tournaments that the majority of who bought the game would never enter or even care about.
At the end of the day Capcom's main priority with SF5 was getting it ready for CPT and so they rushed it, which was just ridiculous and the backlash is well deserved.
You obviously love unfinished games or likely Capcom itself, so no point in discussing this further with you.

MutFox

Banned
So it seems people didn't research the product they bought.
Then they complain about it.
I makes sense though.

Even with all the updates Capcom gave previous to it launching.
Many casuals don't keep up with the industry as many of us on this forum.
Heck there's people on this forum who didn't know.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So it seems people didn't research the product they bought.
Then they complain about it.
I makes sense though.

Even with all the updates Capcom gave previous to it launching.
Many casuals don't keep up with the industry as many of us on this forum.
Heck there's people on this forum who didn't know.

So maybe Capcom could have actually informed consumers with notes on the box and the digital store page that say "WARNING: SHIT AIN'T WHAT YOU EXPECT IF YOU HAVE EVER BOUGHT A FIGHTING GAME"

Pompadour

Arcade SF4, the most vanilla of all versions, had 16 characters at launch. The console release, which had 25, came out a year later. A year from now SFV will have, at least, 22 characters.

lol yeh as if every top player stopped playing SF4...the ones who did would have no problem going back to it. Everything changed when they couldnt finish SF5 on time. Simply release the game a few months later when its actually complete. WTF is the problem with delaying it?

WTF is the problem with waiting a few months to play the game that meets your standards? Frankly, I envy the people who think the lack of singleplayer modes is a deal breaker. You guys can walk into Best Buy whenever these modes get patched it and pick it up at a severely reduced price. Big deal.

WTF is the problem with delaying it? Would it have affected CPT? of course....but so what? its their fault that would have happened. CPT is not SF5. Its a bunch of tournaments that the majority of who bought the game would never enter or even care about.

Well there's the whole money thing, too.

Spman2099

Xrd launched with 15. Skull Girls launched with 8. Persona 4 Arena launched with 13. KI launched with 8. Hell, even MKX, known as the fighting game with ALL the content, only launched with 18 characters (with an additional special pre-order character).

trixx

The gameplay mechanics are solid, and it's great that the cast seems very balanced overall. I watched WNF yesterday and it was hella entertaining(Partially because I love Snake Eyez Gief).

With that said compare this game to vanilla smash 4 and it's pretty laughable, even 3ds has more content. What I will say though is that there is certainly more effort put into the online which is great. The online for this game is certainly better than Sm4sh at least.

The game also doen't need a whole bunch of characters, 16 at launch is pretty nice.

watdaeff4

Vs CPU? Arcade Mode? Better online support?

At least the latter is coming next month.

Do you honestly think any reasonable person expected the lack of a VS CPU option? That's such a fundamental mode in a fighter, that I honestly don't think anyone, for a second, thought it would missing. And what's even crazier....it's not a part of their upcoming plans!

I'm not saying your wrong and that your opinion is unjustified, but does the Survival mode not cover that for you?

At first I was disappointed with lack of Arcade mode, but after playing Survivial mode some, I'm not as disappointed.

(not trying to be antagonistic, at all btw)

convo

You obviously love unfinished games or likely Capcom itself, so no point in discussing this further with you.

You said this already,no need to edit that statement out of your last post,champion your opinion if you want to. King Awesome also replied to you with a better explanation so you should also not want to continue this discussion with him either.

The reason there are 16 characters for now because its easy to balance. Have you played MK? its a nightmare on balance. And gets patched every other month. Game lot of popularity due to this both online and off.

MutFox

Banned
So maybe Capcom could have actually informed consumers with notes on the box and the digital store page that say "WARNING: SHIT AIN'T WHAT YOU EXPECT IF YOU HAVE EVER BOUGHT A FIGHTING GAME"

Maybe something on the box, maybe not in those words though... :p
Or even a pamphlet in the box, or maybe not, people don't read.

Maybe put the modes that are included,
and that it would be updated for years with new characters and modes for free.
(Maybe it does, I haven't seen the box, bought it off Steam)

A.E Suggs

It is what does the year have to do with how many characters a game has? Vanilla SF4 had an arcade and that came with 17 characters, but since it didn't have an arcade that's probably the problem.

Still 16 varied characters is good in my book, I don't really care about numbers cause even if we add up some roster numbers from other games people would still be mad cause its not who they want which is why I feel 16 as a start is good enough.

farisr

I'm not saying your wrong and that your opinion is unjustified, but does the Survival mode not cover that for you?
At first I was disappointed with lack of Arcade mode, but after playing Survivial mode some, I'm not as disappointed.
(not trying to be antagonistic, at all btw)
I'll just quote myself.
Also, if you want to know why survival is not the same as arcade, two words. Unnecessary frustration. Here's an example, I can go through arcade, and if I lose I can continue right from the opponent who I lost to. I don't have to go through everyone I just defeated earlier.

Survival on the other hand, you can play perfectly for 29 matches in a row, get to the 30th and final round (final round on normal that is) without a scratch on you, and if you lose, not only do you not get any partial rewards, you have to go through those 29 matches all over again, no matter how boring or easy they were, wasting 20-30 minutes to get back to the only opponent you had trouble with.
There's a reason survival mode is separate from arcade, it is a different experience and a different appeal. People who are into arcade aren't necessarily going to like survival.

Rudiano

Banned
Arcade SF4, the most vanilla of all versions, had 16 characters at launch. The console release, which had 25, came out a year later. A year from now SFV will have, at least, 22 characters.

WTF is the problem with waiting a few months to play the game that meets your standards? Frankly, I envy the people who think the lack of singleplayer modes is a deal breaker. You guys can walk into Best Buy whenever these modes get patched it and pick it up at a severely reduced price. Big deal.

Ermmmm I have bought the game and it lacked basic content. Everything else you said is now meaningless

Top Bottom