• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neptunia the animation - 07
Falcon ....
Hyperdimension%20Neptunia%20The%20Animation%20-%2007.jpg

:)
I haven't seen Victory because i'm busy ( hey ) but that new addition to the cast sure is making me try the 3rd game.

Ps: Eggplants are bad
Ps2: eggplant torture is great lewd

Next week is swimsuit episode ...Can't wait.

Elementary school was the worst for me. Oddly enough, I didn't get bullied by other kids, but rather teachers and parents. People my own age were totally cool with me and I had some awesome friends.

Middle school and high school were pretty alright.

I never got picked on by parents, but I can relate with the teachers. A couple of mine had it out for me.

I remember one time I was tired in French class and rested my head in my hands. My teacher stopped her reading from the text book dead and said "Don't think I don't know what you're doing. I know you're talking about me." She was so insecure that she thought I was obscuring my mouth to covertly insult her. She only ever said stuff like that to me and to this day I don't know why.

Overall I enjoyed school life though. The teacher's opinions never bothered me.

LordCanti

I never got picked on by parents, but I can relate with the teachers. A couple of mine had it out for me.

I remember one time I was tired in French class and rested my head in my hands. My teacher stopped her reading from the text book dead and said "Don't think I don't know what you're doing. I know you're talking about me." She was so insecure that she thought I was obscuring my mouth to covertly insult her. She only ever said stuff like that to me and to this day I don't know why.

Overall I enjoyed school life though. The teacher's opinions never bothered me.

I once had a middle school teacher stop class, force me into the hallway, and then say "I don't know what your problem is, but you need to stop being menacing to me right now"

I'm telling you, and this isn't a lie, that I don't think I looked at her once during the entire lesson. It was a seventh grade lecture on the moon's phases or something, and I got the gist of it from looking at the book to the point that I was basically taking a nap while she was talking.

To this day, I have no idea if she mixed me up with someone else, or was just mental. I'd never given a single teacher a moment of trouble in my life at that point, nor did I look "menacing" as a baby faced seventh grader.

Mr.Jeff

As much as I knew it would be from Banduil, Hosanna, Nafe's and more recently Narag's impressions, after the first two episode of Rozen Maiden I can't believe how good it is, especially when you consider how absurd the subject matter is.

Syrinx

I never really had any problems with a teacher. Well, there was this one teacher who taught my class science for one marking period in 6th grade who...I think hated everybody. Last I heard she was a 1st grade teacher. I weep for their souls.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That's some deep analysis there, Freud-chan.

Indeed.

Yozora is the brash, curt girl who is hiding the reality that she has nothing in life through no fault of her own. And now she has to deal with the girl who has everything in life and has never had to deal with any issues at all butting in and taking away the one thing she has going for her. It's a pitiful, sad existence.

Gatchaman Crowds - 07

Main bad guy is serious business.

And hajime is some serious main character ..i'm positive characters like hajime are the exception , not the rule.

Anyway , there will be some serious consequences to look forward for next week ..can't wait ...

Going to catch up with Rozen Maiden tomorrow. This thread, man. As if I needed more things to watch. I did just finish off Nisemonogatari mind you, so it can fill that gap.

Speaking of Nise, I'd love to know what happened there. I guess maybe it's accurate to the novels but what a disappointment coming from Bakemonogatari. The whole time it felt like I was watching a poor impression of Bake that occasionally managed to resemble the real thing, without really understanding why it was as good as it was.

Bake comes out on BD here in the UK on Monday so I'll re-watch and see if I'm not remembering it too fondly.

I once had a middle school teacher stop class, force me into the hallway, and then say "I don't know what your problem is, but you need to stop being menacing to me right now"

I'm telling you, and this isn't a lie, that I don't think I looked at her once during the entire lesson. It was a seventh grade lecture on the moon's phases or something, and I got the gist of it from looking at the book to the point that I was basically taking a nap while she was talking.

To this day, I have no idea if she mixed me up with someone else, or was just mental. I'd never given a single teacher a moment of trouble in my life at that point, nor did I look "menacing" as a baby faced seventh grader.

I was the same way, which is what made it feel so unreasonable. I'd love to know how the narrative of my delinquency was constructed in her head. At least now I know I'm not the only nice kid that inexplicably upset teachers.

An IT teacher later had the same response to me. I thought I might have the male equivalent of bitch face or something, but somebody else would have pointed that out before a teacher reacted to it.

As much as I knew it would be from Banduil, Hosanna, Nafe's and more recently Narag's impressions, after the first two episode of Rozen Maiden I can't believe how good it is, especially when you consider how absurd the subject matter is.

The Rozen Maiden side of the plot can be silly and convoluted, but the rest of college-aged Jun's life, his thoughts, his personality flaws, his struggles to interact with other people, is as real and grounded as it gets.

Theonik

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA 08
Now that's what I'm talking about. Lol at Iggy also christ at those production values at times.
Also poor Polnareff. Why the hell isn't Avdol trying to evaporate the water anyway?

K - Episodes 6 and 7 (dubwatch rewatch)

Totsuka Totara sounded way higher toned or etc than I expected for him to be, odd. Though perhaps it was fitting for his age. Easily really good with Mikoto and after having read Memory of Red's final chapter recently
cried hard when the scenes were shown in this of his death and everyones feelings :(

7, I need to see on BD, the scene in the field was so bright for Isana. Good episode. Also had never realized, Animate and Movic had so many ads in this.

Speaking of Nise, I'd love to know what happened there. I guess maybe it's accurate to the novels but what a disappointment coming from Bakemonogatari. The whole time it felt like I was watching a poor impression of Bake that occasionally managed to resemble the real thing, without really understanding why it was as good as it was.

That's a fair assessment. Not only was Nise's writing more long-winded and meandering, bot as sharp than Bake's, but the direction was much weaker and lazier without Tatsuya Oishi at the helm. From the first episode I saw that Nise was a watered-down product. That show was the definite signal to me that Shaft no longer had the skill that made some of their earlier shows, most notably Soredemo, so successful.

cajunator

Banned
Day Break Illusion 8

Ah yes, now's when
main characters start dying
because must be as much like
Madoka
as possible
. Right down to the
yellow one dying first
and
the "leaders" being cold and unfeeling just like Kyuubey was

Yeah its trying WAY too hard.

Angel Tales 1

This guy is a terrible pet owner.

Yeah hes awful. But the girls are hyper adorable. What made you watch this btw? Its a bit magical girl later on.

Annnnd bought another figure. Page killed itself though upon purchase. Went for EMS this time.

Oooh. which one?

Oooh. which one?

Found a pre-owned Tamashii web exclusive Cure Blossom
Super Silhouette
figure on AmiAmi. There was the
Super Silhouettes
of the rest of the Precures, but Moonlight and Sunshine was already snagged. Cure Marine is left, but I can't really afford it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kiniro Mosaic ep.8

Sometimes I feel that a lot of the little one-off gags are funnier than the main storyline each episode.

Yeah, especially with this episode. But then, like I said in my impressions post, all these school festival episodes are just starting to blur together at this point. I've seen so damn many. Hidamari Sketch (which had more than one, I think), Acchi Kocchi, Azumanga Daioh (definitely had two), Toradora! (which was a two-parter), K-ON! (which had what, three?) probably some others I'm forgetting...

wonzo

Banned
wb risette, nonoriri & ben

How am I supposed to know about a thread that is in a state of being dead and alive?
search.png

Seems that Liden Films (Aiura, co-production on Senyu.) got contracted to make a short animated PV for manga series Yamada and the Seven Witches. As I'm sure you've seen, there's currently a live-action drama adaptation being aired, but no other news on any other adaptations yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_n_k5nNA3A
THis needs to be a thing so bad. :(

The Flowers of Evil 1

I'm so late to the party on this, but I loved it so much, which basically almost never happens with first episodes. I got that tingly feeling in the pit of my heart when I know I'm watching something special, which doesn't happen all that often either. One of the things I do appreciate about the anime industry as opposed to, say, most live-action television (from anywhere, but obviously I am most familiar with American TV) is that there's enough of an auteur culture buried in there to occasionally bear fruits of a cohesive, artistically focused & aesthetically unique nature much more akin to what you can find in film than the scattershot approach to most TV.

The unsettling realism of rotoscoping, the plainness of the character designs, the tender pacing, the drone music, the jarring OP and ED, and just enough of the rest that is off to let you know something is wrong, all in perfect concert with the mundane banality of high school life. Super, I hope the rest is this good!
I knew you'd love the hell outta this! The first episode is great but it absolutely pales to what happens later on so you're in for something truly amazing.

Nise feels like they misunderstood what made Bake good and instead amplified the worst aspects of that show. I guess the main issue is I never found the sisters funny or compelling since they're never treated as anything other than joke characters. They're basically sad harem rejects with a hint of incest to make them edgy or post-modern or something. Monogatari can do way better than that.

I'd like to give Rozen Maiden a shot, but any synopsis that starts with "A young hikikomori . . ." makes my eyes glaze over. Eh.

Metrotab

Banned
Fuck middle school. Seriously, fuck middle school.

Welcome back, Risette!

Majestic Prince - 20

Sad that
two of the most entertaining characters had to die.

And it's time for that
late plot twist
that action shows seem to like very much.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi 40

Once Doremi said, "STEKI!", I knew she was fucked.

The witch maze Aiko was in was pretty surreal looking. She knows how to bargain, too.

Nafe

I'm glad to see you haven't given up on these episode impressions. I'm enjoying reading them.

Thanks. :)
Even if someone feels they don't really have much to add to an episode impression, just having a bit of acknowledgment that someone is reading them is nice. :)

Hopefully I'll have a post about the fourth episode soon.

Rozen Maiden (2013) 3

Rozen Maiden (2013) 1

First ep wasn't quite the mess I'd thought it would be. Incomplete dolls are friiggin' nighmarish though. dat ED too.

It's good to see more people enjoying and talking about Rozen Maiden. :)

No worries, I didn't intend to make it a big deal. I suppose it's partly due my own inherent shyness. I do try to at least have something intelligent to say when I do post, but I could do a better job in engaging myself in some of the conversation.

Now here's a random thought, since School Days was brought up earlier: I am actually kinda considering getting a custom license plate for my car that says "Nice Boat" (if it hasn't been taken). Thoughts? If I'm going to do this I want to make it as absurd as possible.

I'm kind of the same way in regards to my posting. Haha, I think I'll have to defer to someone else in regards to the license plate as that's not really my kind of thing.

Anything that gets the Cajun stamp of approval is something I'm willing to check out.

I think you'll be taking a look at a lot of shows at that rate then,haha.

Nonna is pretty cute there. <3

Anyhow, that was a nice run of anime to check out tonight. Hosanna and Branduil picked a real winner to champion and I hope more people check it out because it's legit good. Pacing deserves some sort of commendation too as episodes 2-8 just sort of blew by such that I'd be surprised when the OP showed up. Never really a dull or wasted moment.

I see. It's not like I was talking about the show either or anything...

tumblr_mqw0trgOK71qbvovho1_500.gif

The second season of Rozen Maiden differed from the manga to the point of inventing an original antagonist.

Personally I liked Barasuishou.

Mr.Jeff reads my posts. :)
Haha, on that note, I'll get back to Banner of the Stars II hopefully somewhat soon. I'm watching quite a few shows this season, some of them carryovers and some "backlog" as well, so maybe next season.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan Episode 20: The production issues seem to be cropping up again though still not as bad as the Trost arc yet.
Anyway, the Female Titan proves to be a clever girl, more clever then Suvery Corp, who probably should have known some like this was possible since it was established that the Female Titan can summon other Titans. Still all and all a solid episode.

cnet128

Banned
Welcome back, Risette!

Gen'ei wo Kakeru Taiyou 8

Well, it's nice to see things getting more interesting, even if they're doing so in a very cynical, by-the-books way. Now it turns out that
all Daemonia are subordinate to a group of "Counterpart Card" Daemonia - one for each card of the Tarot, naturally. Destroying a Counterpart results in the destruction of all the Daemonia of that card alignment...and the magical girl who wields the same Tarot card is destroyed as well. It also seems to possibly be the case that each of these Counterparts can only be defeated by their...well, counterparts. Attacks from other magical girls don't seem to have much effect, just causing damage to the counterpart magical girl instead. How pleasant and convenient.

So yeah, the DRAMA stakes have just been upped, and the show wastes no time using this mechanic to
kill off one of the main characters - Ginka is the first to defeat her own Counterpart and perish in the process.
At least, it looks like that's what happened.
Before being defeated, dark-Ginka was muttering about how she wanted to "fuse" with her light counterpart, whatever the hell that means. So I guess it's possible that she succeeded, and the two of them are still out there somewhere. Either way, I'm sure we're going to find out what this "fusion" entails at some point, and presumably it's going to be the cause of yet more DRAMA.

So yeah. Series continues to have potential in its ideas but awfully lacklustre execution. At least the action in this episode was pretty decent. I wonder what will happen next. Wouldn't put it past the series to just
devote a few episodes to systematically killing off more main characters in exactly the same way
, but I'd like to think that even this series is better than that. We'll see, I guess.

Metrotab

Banned
Love Lab - 8

The OP gets better every time I hear it.

And I wasn't aware
having boyfriends
was against the rules of an all-girls school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom