• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Eva Rewatch episode 1 (it's been over 10 years since I last saw it :p)

my first two major thoughts.
1. the dub isn't to bad for how old it is. (note: I have the japanese subtitles on to read so it's not like even if it is a bad translation for the dub that it will matter :p)
2. it's nice to see a car that isn't CG driving around >.<;

thoughts as I watch
the nerv logo has a nice design always liked it.
the we are lost gag feels weird even though the angel did wait for them seemingly
shinji freaking about the dark also feels weird but what ever.

overall, the first episode wasn't all that great. kind of boring, lots of shinji screaming, some of it justified some of it just annoying while the other characters just go suck it up and deal with it.

oh well, let's see how episode 2 goes.
Wrong.
Manga, original two films, Stand Alone Complex, and Arise are all seperate continuities.

Level of quality goes SAC>original film 1=early manga>original film 2>Arise>late manga if you're main concern is the quality of the writing with SAC being far and away the standout champ, but there's no denying that the Oshii films are freaking beautiful to look at.

So basically, just watch Stand Alone Complex if you want good post-cyberpunk stories, watch the films if you want to see some cool looking stuff. I wouldn't bother with the manga or Arise.
Stop.

Dang it, missed out the muppet hate :(

Well guess it's time to cancel AotY 2016 since this page clearly proves that GAF is in no position to judge things properly.
DTVZWhs.png

I just gotta mention that I do quite love those high quality reaction face images of yours. Almost draws me into watching some Cat-thingy CGI anime...almost.

duckroll

why should they stop when they are just telling the truth?
also in response to me I believe the statement you are looking for is, I disagree :p

Look at this pathetic incompetent gaffer trying to cover up his disgrace after being outed for having terrible worthless opinions. Sad!

Narag

I thought GITS quality goes Mardock Scramble > Psycho-Pass S1 > Oshii GITS > Psycho-Pass movie > Innocence > Psycho-Pass S2.

zulux21

Cornbread wanted more shitposting, so I am trying to bring it back.

Has it worked?

Look at this pathetic incompetent gaffer trying to cover up his disgrace after being outed for having terrible worthless opinions. Sad!

duckroll is doing it much better than you are.

*runs off crying*

:p
I thought GITS quality goes Mardock Scramble > Psycho-Pass S1 > Oshii GITS > Psycho-Pass movie > Innocence > Psycho-Pass S2.

you don't' include stand alone complex?

Jex

duckroll is doing it much better than you are.

*runs off crying*

:p

When people have a bad opinion, you don't even need to attack it. You just need to highlight it, so everyone else can revel in it's self-evident wrongness.

Line_HTX

Code Geass R2 ep.12
(62).jpg

Oh, blondie is graduating from the school, but she had to play one last little prank, lol.
That was a pretty SoL episode, until the very end when Shirley got "deGeassed" uh-oh Lelouch she's gonna cap yo a$$ mow, lol

NANI, MAI HONEY?

Milly Ashford going out to do better things and make a difference, y'know?

Line_HTX

I too have always wanted to check out Ghost in the Shell, but there's just so much stuff out that I get overwhelmed.

Just sit down and go through Stand Alone Complex and SAC 2nd Gig. At least it's fleshed out enough so that they'll explain stuff without you feeling overwhelmed in a movie format. Plus the pacing is good enough for you to sit back and enjoy the backgrounds for a bit.

I wish there was a 3rd Gig though...

Jex

GitS Innocence is a weak film. It has a big vocabulary but SMALL ideas. Small, like Jexhius' hands.

Wow, unexpected and inaccurate hands slam. Not what I was expecting this morning!

I cannot wait until we can add the live action GITS to this kind of ranking!

Also you need to add the Arise stuff up in thar.

Line_HTX

I have no expectations of ScarJo's Motoko, but I heard there were some positive reactions to what little was shown in the teasers, and I dunno what to think...

I haven't watched any of the GiTS movies because the TV series was so amazing to my teenaged mind that I don't want to possibly ruin its legacy in my mind.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've been watching anime with you guys for almost 2 years now and this is the first season that only 1 thread was used.. ya'll need to watch more anime next season!
Well I could have filled threads with Sunshine talk, but it was more productive to talk about that in my LL Line group.

Part of me hopes that a mod takes pity on cajun and unbans him as his positive energy mixed with kiritobreads would bring a lot of life to this thread

I don't want to talk on his behalf, but I have a feeling even if he was unbanned he'd likely not return.

Aki-at

Kuromukuro - 23

Kennosuke please! who's been filling your head with such lies? Bangladesh is where you want to go if you want to learn how to cook the ultimate curry.

A fun down to earth episode before stuff starts hitting the fan.

zulux21

I am really baffled how people can claim that re:zero isn't very popular.

you don't have to like the show, but you should be able to at least tell there is a crap ton of people talking about it. Even more than pick up girls in a dungeon had last year while it was airing. @_@

Clov

The real GITS order is GITS 1995>Innocence>Everything Else. SAC is a fun show with a great soundtrack, but I personally think it comes nowhere close to being as well written or well directed as Oshii's films.

Mailbox

you don't have to like the show, but you should be able to at least tell there is a crap ton of people talking about it. Even more than pick up girls in a dungeon had last year while it was airing. @_@

Yeah, its weird. Considering the amount of cosplay, Rem talk (people are saying stuff about "waifu talk", but lets face it, its only Rem), and even the amount of talk here on animegaf, it should be quite obvious that this show was at least the most popular of the year so far (even more so than Erased, and that spread pretty wide)

Its also weird seeing people say its their most hated show or some such. Despite the fact that I really really enjoyed myself and quite like it, i would never ever ever put it in the ranks of stuff like green green or upotte or lance n' masques (ESPECIALLY LANCE N' MASQUES) or whatnot. I maintain: "the good seems like shit when all you've had is great." (this is despite the fact that I think Re:Zero is great :p)

shit, need to do the new season avi fast... okay, I'll do that gun-riding ww2 witch from that weird show thats gonna air and I expect to suck. :p

Qurupeke

Being popular doesn't mean it isn't a fad though. With a S2 probably not happening soon enough, I doubt people will keep talking about it in a year or so. It's kind of like No Game, No Life. It was insanely popular, but I feel like no one talks about it anymore and it's been forgotten. Well, actually, it seems people remember it for all the wrong reasons...

Mailbox

Are you sure they're not just saying it isn't very good. I don't think anyone has denied its popularity.

in the thread on off-topic, there are (not sure if its more than one person) gaffers who are trying to downplay the popularity of the show.

zulux21

Are you sure they're not just saying it isn't very good. I don't think anyone has denied its popularity.

Psycho_Mantis over in the re:zero thread is being relentless that it isn't popular :p

or more so that it is only popular within a small niche crowd.

Being popular doesn't mean it isn't a fad though. With a S2 probably not happening soon enough, I doubt people will keep talking about it in a year or so. It's kind of like No Game, No Life. It was insanely popular, but I feel like no one talks about it anymore and it's been forgotten. Well, actually, it seems people remember it for all the wrong reasons...
I can't deny that it could just be a fad.
but there are enough things that stand out and are gifable from re:zero that I would guess that it will be a lot like Haruhi Suzumiya in terms of lasting appeal.

and I still talk about my AOTY 2014 no game no life, but it did die down. but even then no game no life wasn't even close to the re:zero levels of popularity.

Sölf

Being popular doesn't mean it isn't a fad though. With a S2 probably not happening soon enough, I doubt people will keep talking about it in a year or so. It's kind of like No Game, No Life. It was insanely popular, but I feel like no one talks about it anymore and it's been forgotten.

I am waiting for the official english release of Volume 5.

Actually, since I am at it, I am pretty happy that quite a few Light Novels finally get official english releases. No Game No Life, Overlord, Baccano! and Re:Zero are all either already here or pre ordered and I am waiting for new volumes to get released.

zulux21

Sölf;218489033 said:
I am waiting for the official english release of Volume 5.

Actually, since I am at it, I am pretty happy that quite a few Light Novels finally get official english releases. No Game No Life, Overlord, Baccano! and Re:Zero are all either already here or pre ordered and I am waiting for new volumes to get released.

i wish it would stop being pushed back.
I just want to finish the damn arc.

I can wait for the movie for book 6 but I don't want to read a fan translation of no game no life, I want to support the official releases by reading them @_@

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm guessing Mantis has confused AnimeGAF discussion with popularity. With that logic Love Live isn't popular and we all know how a silly billy one would look like if you tried to argue that.

Or maybe he thinks anything that doesn't beat EastEnders in viewing numbers is unpopular.

zulux21

I'm guessing Mantis has confused AnimeGAF discussion with popularity. With that logic Love Live isn't popular and we all know how a silly billy one would look like if you tried to argue that.

Or maybe he thinks anything that doesn't beat EastEnders in viewing numbers is unpopular.

well part of it could be confusion with overall popularity and japanese popularity.
I don't think I would consider love live super popular outside of japan, but no doubt you would consider it popular in japan. granted I haven't looked into that one a ton so I could be mistaken.

on the flip side it's quite possible that Re:zero isn't super popular in japan (I haven't seen good qualifiers for that, but there does seem to be at least a lot of cosplay and figures which is a sign it has some popularity), but if you have been anywhere anime related on the internet, and even plenty of places that aren't. it's quite easy to see it's really popular outside of japan.

to be fair at no point has mantis gotten to the point in their statements that I felt I couldn't respond without insulting them.
sadly one member in this thread got that far and made their way to my never ever pay attention to again list recently (they aren't on my ignore list though). though I won't say who.

it's not duckroll :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom