• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sun and Moon August 12th Update Possibly Leaked: The Redemption of Raichu

Nanashrew

Banned
There's a lot of non-Hawaii Pokemon too. The starters, Rockruff, Komala, Drampa, Togedemaru, Mimikyu, Bewear, Lurantis, Cutiefly, Alola Vulpix, Alola Sandshrew, and the three legendaries all have nothing to do with Hawaii as far as I can tell. You also have stuff like Yungoos which is very subtly related to Hawaii.

If we want to get technical, horses are also not native to Hawaii but were offered as a trade a very long time ago.

EDIT: Found some good history on cattle in Hawaii http://www.hawaiihistory.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=ig.page&CategoryID=254

wanders

What's wrong with it? I think this game has so much personality due to the Hawaiian theme.

Homogeneity.

It's better than a US-based game having a ton of strictly japanese-themed mons and legendary Pokemon themed around Three Musketeers, Kamis and yin-yang.

Yeah that had a lot of variety.

Going all-in on the theme is what they should be doing, much like a season of Survivor (well, the earlier ones) or an MTG set. Make it distinct, make it so you know exactly what place in the Pokemon world it came from on sight. This should be their approach for all future generations.

This is an interesting perspective. It would be one way to differentiate this and future generations.

There's a lot of non-Hawaii Pokemon too. The starters, Rockruff, Pikipek, Vikavolt, Komala, Drampa, Togedemaru, Mimikyu, Bewear, Lurantis, Salandit, Mudsdale, Minior, Cutiefly, Alola Vulpix, Alola Sandshrew, Solgaleo, Lunala, and Magearna all have nothing to do with Hawaii as far as I can tell. You also have stuff like Yungoos which is very subtly related to Hawaii.

Yeah, I guess we have to wait and see what else they have in store. I just didn't want the mons to look like they are all on vacay. I'm really loving the designs though.

Carl7

I changed my mind about alolan Raichu: It all depends of stats distribution and how viable eletric terrain will be in gen 7.

I think the most optimall distribution is to make it similar to excadrill but special. Drop its speed to 88 and its attack to 50, then send all these points to hp and special attack increasing it to 100 and 110 respectively.

I calculated some neutral damages:

252+ SpA Raichu Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Kangaskhan in Electric Terrain: 214-253 (60.9 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Raichu Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Rotom-W in Electric Terrain: 195-231 (64.1 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Raichu: 341-403 (87.2 - 103%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

With these stats alolan raichu can also be used with trick room, choice scarf and tailwind support.

imjust1n

Banned
Ok so I was thinking about this whole Alohan form thing.

So I'm going to be able to catch a dark Meowth
Then it's gonna evolve to Persian and the Persian will just be a normal Persian ....
Doeant make sense. Like they showed vulpix and ninetails and sandshrew and sandslash so are we talking about every 150 pokemon will have alohan forms? If so that's gonna be amazing.

Ok so I was thinking about this whole Alohan form thing.

So I'm going to be able to catch a dark Meowth
Then it's gonna evolve to Persian and the Persian will just be a normal Persian ....
Doeant make sense. Like they showed vulpix and ninetails and sandshrew and sandslash so are we talking about every 150 pokemon will have alohan forms? If so that's gonna be amazing.
Some Pokemon will have aloan forms, the meowth will probably evolve into an aloan Persian. But not all 150 are getting aloan forms, only a handful. They were introducing aloan forms with sandslash and ninetails, they don't need to show the entire line now because we know how they work.

How is it spoiling if its marketing? I mean yeah its special to watch a character as its revealed but if Sakurai is doing an event and announces a new character to the entire world...then its fair game. Not a spoiler.

God forbid someone doesn't want to know the entire roster before playing.

Homogeneity.

Yeah that had a lot of variety.

This is an interesting perspective. It would be one way to differentiate this and future generations.

Yeah, I guess we have to wait and see what else they have in store. I just didn't want the mons to look like they are all on vacay. I'm really loving the designs though.

The game isn't out yet and these act like different mons. It's not like there aren't new Pokemon. Your complaint seems kind of baseless.

Conan-san

I kept seeing this term for many times but I never bother to ask what it really meant. So what it meant?

Basically to PKMN what Grognards to D&D/Tabletop Wargaming (ie: Prefer Gen 1 to the detriment of near everything upto and including competent debugging because whoboy was Gen 1 a bit of a mess in that department)

Razmos

RW11bcr.png
Safari balls? Lol

Xux

It doesn't technically deconfirm it but Ariados should've been at the top of the list of Pokemon that need an Alola form or some sort of pick-me-up.

Zomba13

What's the point of adding that weird mark thing on Marowak's head

Yeah, only bit about it I don't like. I mean, if you want to have a funky tattoo or something then go for it but it just looks so half arsed, like they couldn't possibly keep the head the same and needed to thrown anything at it.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Shame about no Alolan Cubone, but not surprised at no Alolan Pikachu due to it's iconic status. The graphics look brill though, and Team skull have a lot of character already!

Wishiwashi living up to its name is kinda disappointing. School Form might still be powerful enough to make up for it though.
Now I'm wondering if Wimpod is also going to be a "zero to hero" style water type.

I'm loving Alola Raichu, I hope it gets some attention stat distribution wise.

Macka

It's not unexpected, but I gotta say I'm disappointed to see that we're fighting the heads of Team Skull who use a grand total of two Pokemon in the low twenties, and it's the same ones every team uses (Golbat for the head guy especially?). Blergh.

It's not unexpected, but I gotta say I'm disappointed to see that we're fighting the heads of Team Skull who use a grand total of two Pokemon in the low twenties, and it's the same ones every team uses (Golbat for the head guy especially?). Blergh.

Yeah I really really think NPCs having non-standard Pokemon is a really important small way to keep things interesting.

Neiteio

So it looks like Wishiwashi's School Form disperses when it takes a particularly strong hit? Not sure how well that bodes for competitive battling, but it's certainly a cool concept from a creative standpoint.

I really want to know how Pyukumuku's Innards Out functions. It did a ton of damage to its opponent upon fainting, but I'm not sure exactly how it works.

Oh, and Alolan Marowak has AMAZING animations!

No Alolan Cubone and Pikachu.
Here Neiteio
AcceptableGaseousDwarfmongoose.gif
Ah, thank you so much!

Bit early to jump to that conclusion. I bet you'll run into them multiple times and their team (and the strength thereof) will grow with each encounter.

And who knows — maybe Ariados and Crobat will have Mega Evolutions!

Macka

Bit early to jump to that conclusion. I bet you'll run into them multiple times and their team (and the strength thereof) will grow with each encounter.

And who knows — maybe Ariados and Crobat will have Mega Evolutions!
Oh, I'm sure they'll get more powerful as the game progresses, but personally I don't like belting the leader of the team that early in the game. I'd much prefer the Giovanni approach where you have a few key (higher leveled) fights, and then the rest of the time you're wailing on their subordinates.

As for those two having Mega Evolutions...I mean, maybe (kinda doubt there's going to be any new ones until the second set of Gen VI games tbh), but either way I can't imagine you'd be fighting them with Mega Evolutions until the last third of the game. If they have Golbat and Ariados at level 20, you're fighting them for a good while. It's just boring considering how often these types of Pokemon are used by the evil teams.

We already saw Raichu-A become 100x better in 3D with animations, but Marowak-A looks ACE

Pyukumuku's innards are pretty great, want to see Ash get one

Wishiwashi makes me sad, ability is TERRIBLE. Almost truant or slow start levels of terrible

then it is not the news or the thread's job to hide those officially announced news, but the people wanting to avoid them

It's bloody hard to avoid it when it's in a thread title though isn't it?

You're basically saying 'stop visiting gaf during any point you're looking forward to a game unless you want to know a significant amount of the important new content from thread titles before launch'.

It's not so hard nor unreasonable to want people to put a vague/non spoiler titles.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's bloody hard to avoid it when it's in a thread title though isn't it?

You're basically saying 'stop visiting gaf during any point you're looking forward to a game unless you want to know a significant amount of the important new content from thread titles before launch'.

It's not so hard nor unreasonable to want people to put a vague/non spoiler titles.

but the thread title doesn't really spoil anything

but the thread title doesn't really spoil anything

It spoils raichu and given that alolan forms are revealed via thread title, what that is.

In any case, even if it wasn't that warranted, people jumped on him waay too hard. It's like someone saying "dude... spoilers" and the response being a rant about people complaining about spoilers

Top Bottom