• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I legitimately believe Pokemon Sun and Moon was used to influence the U.S. Election.

why can't any of you fuckers just be normal?

man why NeoGAF got to be weird

Posts like this are why people make fun of Neogaf.

This plus that dude who wanted to cuck someone to death

GAF on a roll today

tenor.gif

Haha I just got linked to this just saying look at this insane person

They were right lmao

These posts summarize my thoughts. Wtf

Marcel

I forgot which thread it was in, but with the "MS launched Halo on Election Day 2012" I recall someone in PoliGAF one time pointing out how one company does time its released on voting days apparently as a way to suppress the youth vote.

I don't.

But I think the fact we have evidence of Russia using Pokemon's popularity to try and influence political discourse gave me enough pause to consider the notion of them taking advantage of that other ways.

Oh, sorry!

Here's my response to you overall:

I admit I should've read the article a bit more, but I actually don't think this contradicts my theory.

If anything, I think it kind of works against the argument people are making about "why would Russia bother?". The Pokemon Go thing turned out to seemingly be, well, "not very effective" but they still did it. It doesn't seem Russia necessarily had a solid goal, they seemed to just want to fuck things up whenever possible. Sure, this can lead to the open-endedness of saying Russia was behind everything, which can lead to craziness, but as the days go on it really does seem they were behind quite a bit.

later you said this>>>>> You claim that a Pokémon leak was distracting you from being able to vote but apparently didn't prevent you from going to work<<<<<

Because voting doesn't matter and doesn't personally affect me. I depend on my job to live and thus it is something I have to do.

I'm being sarcastic here, but for many people around my age that's probably the truth...they don't see a benefit in voting. I made sure to vote since I really wanted to be active in the election as I understood the downside of Trump winning, especially with a prominent LGBT-friend who if she were still alive might very well be suffering from some of his "religious freedom" shit.

So I think anyway to get less kids to the poll was a net benefit for pro-Trump, even if they lost possible Trump voters in the process. I don't think Sun and Moon leaking was the ONE thing that stopped people from voting, just another distraction.

mziNHBU.jpg

Afrodium

Banned
I think the posters acting like this is impossible are more divorced from reality than the OP. It's probably not true, but if you think there's absolutely positively no way this could have happened then you probably aren't paying too much attention to the news.

Marcel

I think the posters acting like this is impossible are more divorced from reality than the OP. It's probably not true, but if you think there's absolutely positively no way this could have happened then you probably aren't paying too much attention to the news.

"I'm not crazy, it's YOU sheeple who are crazy! Wake up!"

You humblebragged about your college experience and then attempt to deflect that you're seriously giving thought to Alex Jones-tier conspiracy logic by posting a lecture that is barely related to anything being talked about.

How is it Alex Jones-conspiracy tier? I'm genuinely curious. I've watched that and I think he has some extremely good points that are quite topical and relevant. And no I was not humblebragging, I was just posting that I come from a position of understanding how people who treat video games as a huge or defining focus of their lives think, act and feel. College fucking sucked, and I was terrible, procrastinated, and didn't give a shit. Tons of people go to college, so I'm struggling to think how a person could even interpret someone as saying 'I went to college' as some kind of boast. hahaha

I'm sorry that you took offense? Lol.

jesus christ listen to yourselves

there are so many easier ways to effect the election than fucking videogames

russia is not responsible for everything

Dyle

I like the idea, but no, without any info on this Lurantis leaker, it's pretty silly to even think of. The amount of potential voters who would possibly be distracted by SuMo leaks, which were more disappointing at the time than hype, would not be kind of people who would likely go out and vote for Hillary. The Russians had much more sophisticated attacks that were directed more specifically at voting blocks in specific swing states that they needed Trump to win and I don't see them wasting their time on this. The Pokemon Go stuff only required social media, not the actual game itself, and was clearly intended to create chaos and unrest rather than targeting voters, effectively two totally different operations

Tbh even considering this seriously kind of shows how much their strategy worked, that we could imagine such a situation seriously

Seriously. At this point they either cant read, think the OP confirmed this or something or havent read any news on this type of stuff.

Nightbird

With all the shit that happened it does seem plausible enough to be true, however I think "Pokemon" was already covered by the Pokémon GO stuff that Russia did

Definitely. I think it really shows that they haven't been paying attention, and quite obviously don't give a fuck/think the shit that's happening is insignificant. I think it also illustrates another huge problem. People literally don't fucking read.

I like the idea, but no, without any info on this Lurantis leaker, it's pretty silly to even think of. The amount of potential voters who would possibly be distracted by SuMo leaks, which were more disappointing at the time than hype, would not be kind of people who would likely go out and vote for Hillary. The Russians had much more sophisticated attacks that were directed more specifically at voting blocks in specific swing states that they needed Trump to win and I don't see them wasting their time on this.

Tbh even considering this seriously kind of shows how much their strategy worked, that we could imagine such a situation seriously

Yeah I agree that it's impossible to know what the OP is suggesting for sure, at least at this juncture and probably ever due to the overall tiny scale it would play if there were some conspiratorial aspect to it. And I agree that this even being a topic at hand illustrates the power of influence.

Personally, while there may not be any actual credence to the OP's suggestion, I don't think it isn't without consideration. I think that their tactics were broad and were present in many different avenues, with many different scopes.

Listen.... listen. This is all I'm going to say on this. Partially because it's dangerously close to off-topic for this forum, and partially because I really just don't want to spend additional time on the topic.

There is zero doubt that the exploitation of voting demographic research to produce a desired outcome is a common tactic. There is also little doubt that most young people skew predominantly liberal (arguably for Utopian/idealistic reasons I will not venture into in this thread). Furthermore, there is little doubt that Russian individuals -- just like domestic political operatives, activists, and special interests groups -- used a variety of avenues to inflict their influence upon the election. Therefore, it is not entirely ridiculous to presume that any activity originating from the vicinity of an interested party (activist, special interests group, Russian operative) might carry an ulterior motive in its timing given the circumstances.

But the point is that exactly the same claim could be made about practically any activity that might be somehow associated with any of these groups should its timing agree with that of some significant event (e.g., Election 2016). And the bigger point is that it's not doing anyone any good to try and connect those dots, even if there is some shred of a chance that the picture it paints carries some truth.

What we need to be doing today is examining our situation and learning from our mistakes. Because, you see, to paraphrase the ever-eloquent Stephen R. Covey haphazardly, not everything is someone else's fault. Blaming external factors for the failings of an ideology or even an entire political system is not a productive activity. Rather, the questions we should be asking are much more introspective in their nature: Why was Trump elected? What can we learn from this event? How can we prevent this sort of thing from happening again?

Because right now, as we speak, I personally believe he is headed for yet another victory in 2020 -- that is, if he isn't somehow removed from office before then.

Afrodium

Banned
"I'm not crazy, it's YOU sheeple who are crazy! Wake up!"

Saying "I 100% believe Russia used Pokemon to influence the US election" is crazy, yeah. Thinking it's within the realm of possibility based on everything we now know isn't.

Honestly the most far-fetched part about this theory for me is that the Pokemon leak would keep more Hillary voters home than Trump voters.

Aters

You are showing the same symptoms as OP, you need help too.

This is probably what Russia hackers want, that every god damn thing is said to be a Russian hacker job. In the end it becomes a meme, not a threat.

Ferrio

Banned
All I see here OP is outlandish claims that give assholes on the internet something to point at when they say GAF is full of loonies.

What Russian alarmist echo chamber do you and OP spawn from? Yall would have made great McCarthyists.

Lol nice. You do know that Joeseph McCarthy's chief counsel/confidant/advisor, Roy Cohn, was one of Donald Trump's closest companions/role models, right? Or is that just some bullshit?

Fat4all

Banned
i remember sommit like this being kicked around when Halo 4 was scheduled to come out on the same day as the 2012 election

ggx2ac

I admit I should've read the article a bit more, but I actually don't think this contradicts my theory.

If anything, I think it kind of works against the argument people are making about "why would Russia bother?". The Pokemon Go thing turned out to seemingly be, well, "not very effective" but they still did it. It doesn't seem Russia necessarily had a solid goal, they seemed to just want to fuck things up whenever possible. Sure, this can lead to the open-endedness of saying Russia was behind everything, which can lead to craziness, but as the days go on it really does seem they were behind quite a bit.

It's a superficial claim, you are using this as the basis of your argument of a conspiracy which you can't even link to a game being leaked on 4chan that you conclude is being done by a greater organisation. CNN were reporting about a contest on Tumblr that required people to communicate over Tumblr. You can't put ads inside Pokémon Go about this so called contest that CNN couldn't find any winners from that Tumblr page.

The Russians didn't get to Pokémon Go like they got to Facebook with bought ads.

The worst part of this is you said you didn't even read the article, you jumped to conclusions right off the bat.

And I don't appreciate the "you're crazy!" and "conspiracy theory!" jabs, because I don't think I'm acting that way. It's a farfetched idea, but I felt like I was levelheaded in my initial post and wasn't showing any signs of paranoia or any dangerous thoughts. If I think this and you don't agree, that's fine, but I don't consider it a thought that's dangerous to have, and truth be told we might never know if I was right. It's not like me thinking this could have happened will result in anyone getting hurt or harassed. And comparing my post to one about a dude who more or less is insinuating he wants to kill someone's wife? I think that's a little bit of a hyperbole.

What you did was exactly what a conspiracy theorist does.

Conspiracy theorists are the reason we have anti-vaxxers, flat Earthers and climate change denial. They are contributing to anti-intellectualism and making the whole world a shitty place for the rest of us.

Marcel

Saying "I 100% believe Russia used Pokemon to influence the US election" is crazy, yeah. Thinking it's within the realm of possibility based on everything we now know isn't.

Honestly the most far-fetched part about this theory for me is that the Pokemon leak would keep more Hillary voters home than Trump voters.

I'm not going to entertain the mental illness or legendary prank of some random jabroni with a theory just because said theory is 1% plausible while also being 99% bullshit speculation.

Magwik

Banned
The irony is that if this was true it would have stopped a lot of the alt right man children from voting for Trump instead.

What Russian alarmist echo chamber do you and OP spawn from? Yall would have made great McCarthyists.

This actually my first time being involved with this kind of topic in general with russia and hacks but when I hear they was hacking pokemon go and making social media accounts posing as black activist I wouldnt be surprised if this happen thats all. I'm not in no echo chamber

Someone with ties to Russia, or sympathetic to Trump, obtained an early copy of Sun and Moon and leaked it to the Internet on Election Day to distract young liberals from going to the polls.

This theory falls apart when you mention the leak happened on 4chan, a messageboard for white supremacist assholes.

Lol nice. You do know that Joeseph McCarthy's chief counsel/confidant/advisor, Roy Cohn, was one of Donald Trump's closest companions/role models, right? Or is that just some bullshit?

McCarthyism has virtually nothing to do with the ideaology of McCarthyists and everything to do with the “everything except the narrative out the window” tactic.

Which, yes, is what the Russia conspiracy folks are doing.

Marcel

McCarthyism has virtually nothing to do with the ideaology of McCarthyists and everything to do with the ”everything except the narrative out the window" tactic.

Russia conspiracy hawks are contributing to anti-intellectualism in the same way that moronic parents who don't "trust" vaccines because they give children autism based on garbage science and tall tales masquerading as common sense. Liberals rationalizing this stuff to themselves are embarrassing as hell and are no better than Alex Jones/Prison Planet nutballs.

I mean, technically it's possible that someone else shot JFK or that aliens have visited us and are being held in a bunker in the desert.

But you'd still look pretty crazy if you legitimately believed that either of these things happened with no real evidence. People aren't just commenting on the theory, they're commenting on the fact that OP already believes it's true.

McCarthyism has virtually nothing to do with the ideaology of McCarthyists and everything to do with the “everything except the narrative out the window” tactic.

I don't follow. And I don't think Russia attempting to influence politics in America, especially the Presidential Election of 2016 is a conspiracy. It's real.

I'm just pointing out how hilarious people will scream 'McCarthyism' and say 'Red Scare 2.0' when this is the actual reality that's happening to the USA. My best friend does the same shit and it's annoying as fuck and I call him out every time. And he tries to use Whataboutisms, which is also hilarious, because that's a classic Soviet psychological table-turning maneuver.

Marcel

I don't follow. And I don't think Russia attempting to influence politics in America, especially the Presidential Election of 2016 is a conspiracy. It's real.

I'm just pointing out how hilarious people will scream 'McCarthyism' and say 'Red Scare 2.0' when this is the actual reality that's happening to the USA. My best friend does the same shit and it's annoying as fuck and I call him out every time. And he tries to use Whataboutisms, which is also hilarious, because that's a classic Soviet psychological table-turning maneuver.

You're trying to turn the subject broad when we're specifically talking about the OP's premise which full of jumping to conclusions and speculation with no actual evidence to support his specific claims. The premise is bullshit. Stop trying to use smokescreens to hide the fact that you're empathizing with someone who is either mentally ill or an excellent troll.

they did influence the election, that is a given

whats not is russia influencing it by fucking pokemon jesus christ

Afrodium

Banned
I'm not going to entertain the mental illness or legendary prank of some random jabroni with a theory just because said theory is 1% plausible while also being 99% bullshit speculation.

I agree that that's a pretty good rule of thumb. I guess I'm more or less disturbed by how many people's knee-jerk reaction is to call OP a tinfoil hat wearing nutjob when day after day new stories are coming out about how specific and targeted Russia's efforts were. OP would have gotten the same reaction if he made a post about Russia using Pokemon GO to incite racial tensions in the US, and it turns out that's true.

they did influence the election, that is a given

whats not is russia influencing it by fucking pokemon jesus christ

Except they fucking did use Pokemon, just not Sun and Moon.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
This theory falls apart when you mention the leak happened on 4chan, a messageboard for white supremacist assholes.

The irony is that if this was true it would have stopped a lot of the alt right man children from voting for Trump instead.

Well, here's the thing---I think it's incorrect to think that.

/vp/ is, well, a place for Pokemon fans to discuss Pokemon. It has indeed been influenced by the alt-right over the years, but I do believe that most users of it simply want to talk Pokemon.

I also think that the majority of younger folks of voting age on those boards who aren't bots fall into two groups---they joke about Hillary to fit in, but probably would vote for her all things considered, or they don't care about voting at all and like the memes. It seems to me the goal was to never get more people to vote for Trump, it was to get less people to vote for Hillary.

I remember there was a thread posted of 4chan reactions of frogposters not knowing you had to register to vote, and while some of it was probably joking I do think that illustrated my point. For those who wanted to meddle with the election, pushing young Trump fans away from voting wasn't an issue, because they probably wouldn't vote anyway. But if you could get them away from the polls, that meant they also couldn't vote for Hillary. So kind of a win/win here.

This isn't a "we should reach out!" to them post defending such sites or anything like that. Just that I think it's a bit counterproductive to think of all of them as hardcore Trump voters, when in general many of them I feel would've voted Hillary when it came down to it if they were forced to vote. But maybe that's me having a bit more optimism in people.

Marcel

I agree that that's a pretty good rule of thumb. I guess I'm more or less disturbed by how many people's knee-jerk reaction is to call OP a tinfoil hat wearing nutjob when day after day new stories are coming out about how specific and targeted Russia's efforts were. OP would have gotten the same reaction if he made a post about Russia using Pokemon GO to incite racial tensions in the US, and it turns out that's true.

I'm willing to trust CNN's reporting. I'm less willing to trust a random on the internet who mentally masturbated about Russia into a message box and hit submit.

Top Bottom