• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Two Special Kingdoms discussion *Major Spoilers*

Warning this is a discussion about one major kingdom and potentially one other kingdom. Nintendo has kept this somewhat hidden from the public.

So during the latest rush of news two images also emerged:

DKVLgxNXkAAEmKs.jpg

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/ISaDX8c

Now Delfino Island could be an easter egg. However, I don't think Nintendo would do that. Neither do I think they would put an essentially remade SM64 and/or Sunshine. Gamexplain posted that Nintendo is hiding more info in their trailers similar to how Tiarra was added in to the scene in the trailer. In the same scene Nintendo has apparently edited in overcast when Mario is on the airship with Bowser and Peach. In the actual game you see the airship above Peach's Castle not clouds. Gamexplain also said that the castle while similar to SM64's has a lot of changes to the outside.

I could see the Mushroom Kingdom being a small toad town leading up to Peach's Castle with some areas to explore around. The castle interior is similar to SM64 but still significantly different. There are some paintings you can jump in and explore. Some SM64 levels return such as Bob-omb Battlefield, Thwomp Fortress, Lethal Lava Land, Haze Maze Cave, Tiny-Big Island, Tall, Tall Mountain, Tick Tock Clock, and Rainbow Cruise.

As for Delfino island, who knows. Perhaps Delfino Plaza, Bianco Hills, Ricco Harbor, Noki Bay or Pinna Park.

What do other people think about those two potential kingdoms? Also noticed how the world map has altered slightly. In addition to Delfino Island being added in. The leaf shaped island above the Tropical Kingdom could be a kingdom. As well as the landmass next to the luncheon kingdom being reshaped to resemble a bat wing.

Wamb0wneD

I hope the bat wing one is a spooky place. For delfino I hope they just go with the plaza or the first level reimagined. Was the most fun platforming in that game outside of the fludd-less sections.

The version of the Mushroom Kingdom OP described sounds good enough.

kirby_fox

Banned
It would make sense to include them, however I'm not sure Peach's castle will be exactly the same. Might also just be an easter egg to include, but not to actually have the ability to go there.

It would make sense to include them, however I'm not sure Peach's castle will be exactly the same. Might also just be an easter egg to include, but not to actually have the ability to go there.
Peach's Castle is 100% a playable world, we've seen the painting which brings you there.

Gartooth

I would love to have Delfino Island in this, but its a huge grain of salt with its outline only appearing on the map. I have no idea how they would plan to emulate Sunshine nostalgia in Odyssey unless there's a capture that works like Fludd for spraying stuff.

As for the Mushroom Kingdom, I think the only thing we can draw from it so far is that the outside of Peach's Castle can be explored. I will be overjoyed though if we can go inside it and warp to 64's levels.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That would all be utterly amazing. Probably too good to be true, TBH, with the jumping into SM64 paintings and shit. But if it does happen, oh man... Best game ever confirmed. Just the one remade level in SMG2 blew my mind and filled me with pure joy.

Neptonic

Finally we can play sunshine with good controls

EDIT: I need to control my impulses to shitpost about on Sunshine
I'm sorry I have a problem, it isn't that bad

Please I hope Delfino Plaza is in the game. I'd love to see the return of that motif without needing to play the worst 3D Mario.

OP, can you link the GameXplain video you're talking about?

I had no idea this game was special!!
I'm trying to find the video but I believe it was taken down. It had them drawing out and explaining things they weren't allowed to show in the recent press showing of Oddysey. The only thing of interest was the same saying how the outside of the castle and surrounding area was pretty different from SM64 so it isn't a remake of the SM64 castle. Although it still is structurally pretty similar.

I would love to have Delfino Island in this, but its a huge grain of salt with its outline only appearing on the map. I have no idea how they would plan to emulate Sunshine nostalgia in Odyssey unless there's a capture that works like Fludd for spraying stuff.

As for the Mushroom Kingdom, I think the only thing we can draw from it so far is that the outside of Peach's Castle can be explored. I will be overjoyed though if we can go inside it and warp to 64's levels.

I just don't see them putting Delfino Island on the world map in promo material, if it isn't present in the game. Does not seem like something Nintendo would do. Sunshine Kingdom also has a nice ring to it.

As for the Mushroom Kingdom, hard to say at this point. However, compared to the paintings of the other kingdom which show a larger landscape. I think it's telling that the Mushroom Kingdom's is focused on Peach's Castle.

I hope the bat wing one is a spooky place. For delfino I hope they just go with the plaza or the first level reimagined. Was the most fun platforming in that game outside of the fludd-less sections.

The version of the Mushroom Kingdom OP described sounds good enough.

Yeah I'm hoping that the bat shaped land mass is a haunted kingdom as well. I think they will do a throwback to SM64 and have 15 kingdoms:

1. Cap Kingdom
2. Cascade Kingdom
3. Sand Kingdom
4. Wooded Kingdom
5. Metro Kingdom
6. Snow Kingdom
7. Seaside Kingdom
8. Luncheon Kingdom
9. Mushroom Kingdom
10. Tropical Kingdom(seen in trailers, if you slow down on one of the directs you see the palm shaped islands are surrounded by the same Purple water seen in other footage)
11. Lake Kingdom- promo material shows it on the same continent as Sand and Wooded Kingdom, to the north of the Wooded Kingdom. *
11. Autumn Kingdom- Leaf shaped island located above the palm tree shaped islands. Who knows what the theme would be but it would be cool if they did an autumn themed world similar to Maple Treeway in Mario Kart and Autumn Heights in Tropical Freeze. Maybe the Locale could be Tanooki or something.
12. Haunted Kingdom- Spooky themed world. I'd love to see them try an art style similar to the Starry Night levels in NSMBU and Boo Moon Galaxy. Located next to Luncheon Kingdom.
13. Moon Kingdom- I think the hints are more than obvious at this point.
14. Sunshine Kingdom- Delfino island
15. ????

Lynd7

I think it'd make a lot of sense for them to revisit a level bases on 64 and Sunshine, I really hope they are cool throwbacks.

Trrzs

Maybe I'm very optimistic but I'm sure Nintendo is hiding Delfino Island from the maps ingame, Delfino Island appear on the map in the billboard cause they need to use the final version of things in promotional material. I'm sure there's a lot of new kingdoms to know, I wont be surprised at all if they use all the map to place no Kingdoms. And yes, I'm 99.9% sure that we are going to visit the moon with a Galaxy theme and Rosalina will appear, Odyssey will be a celebration of all the big 3D Mario games! This game will be Mario's Breath of the Wild.

Throwing in levels from 64 and Sunshine would be smart. It hits nostalgia buttons, but also would quiet the crowd who insist 64 is best. It would also feel fun to see all these games integrated into on cohesive world with a map.

Yeah I'm hoping that the bat shaped land mass is a haunted kingdom as well. I think they will do a throwback to SM64 and have 15 kingdoms:

1. Cap Kingdom
2. Cascade Kingdom
3. Sand Kingdom
4. Wooded Kingdom
5. Metro Kingdom
6. Snow Kingdom
7. Seaside Kingdom
8. Luncheon Kingdom
9. Mushroom Kingdom
10. Tropical Kingdom(seen in trailers, if you slow down on one of the directs you see the palm shaped islands are surrounded by the same Purple water seen in other footage)
11. Lake Kingdom- promo material shows it on the same continent as Sand and Wooded Kingdom, to the north of the Wooded Kingdom. *
11. Autumn Kingdom- Leaf shaped island located above the palm tree shaped islands. Who knows what the theme would be but it would be cool if they did an autumn themed world similar to Maple Treeway in Mario Kart and Autumn Heights in Tropical Freeze. Maybe the Locale could be Tanooki or something.
12. Haunted Kingdom- Spooky themed world. I'd love to see them try an art style similar to the Starry Night levels in NSMBU and Boo Moon Galaxy. Located next to Luncheon Kingdom.
13. Moon Kingdom- I think the hints are more than obvious at this point.
14. Sunshine Kingdom- Delfino island
15. ????

Bowser Kingdom could be very cool.

Platy

Batman Kingdom sounds awesome.

Also don't forget the inevitable moon that is on space which is located in our Galaxy

Maybe I'm very optimistic but I'm sure Nintendo is hiding Delfino Island from the maps ingame, Delfino Island appear on the map in the billboard cause they need to use the final version of things in promotional material. I'm sure there's a lot of new kingdoms to know, I wont be surprised at all if they use all the map to place no Kingdoms. And yes, I'm 99.9% sure that we are going to visit the moon with a Galaxy theme and Rosalina will appear, Odyssey will be a celebration of all the big 3D Mario games! This game will be Mario's Breath of the Wild.
Yeah I'm also thinking that the Moon will be a Galaxy throwback. With New Donk City having DK references, Mushroom Kingdom having SM64, possibly Delfino Island, Super Mario Land references in the sand kingdom and possibly a moon kingdom that references Galaxy. I'm beginning to wonder why they haven't shown the friendly locale of the Cascade Kingdom.

Yeah I'm also thinking that the Moon will be a Galaxy throwback. With New Donk City having DK references, Mushroom Kingdom having SM64, possibly Delfino Island, Super Mario Land references in the sand kingdom and possibly a moon kingdom that references Galaxy. I'm beginning to wonder why they haven't shown the friendly locale of the Cascade Kingdom.

There is some good Gamespot footage of it from recently. Apologies but I can't find the clip right now. They are holding it back I think because it's the first real world, so I'd imagine you don't want people to burn out right away on content they've shown off a lot.

Also, OP, didn't they remove Delfino Island from the map in some recent footage or promo, not add it?

I'm beginning to wonder why they haven't shown the friendly locale of the Cascade Kingdom.

I'm pretty sure I've seen at some point (can't say if it was recent or old media) that the locales of the Cascade Kingdom are just
the ghosts from the Hat Kingdom, like Cappy
. At least I recall seeing those running the Crazy Cap Store from that world.

Dremorak

Banned
I doubt it will happen aside from a minor callback. Maybe one challenge room that is a recreation of one from sunshine, maybe a part of a level with weird gravity etc etc

Neptonic

I doubt it will happen aside from a minor callback. Maybe one challenge room that is a recreation of one from sunshine, maybe a part of a level with weird gravity etc etc

Believe in Koizumi

God there is a chance they could remake all of Mario 64 in this game lol

kc44135

Wtf... Is the OP title a fucking spoiler... ???
Lol
Finally we can play sunshine with good controls

EDIT: I need to control my impulses to shitpost about on Sunshine
I'm sorry I have a problem, it isn't that bad

I think you should keep your expectations in check. I don't think this game will control as good as the best Mario game, and I doubt it will be as good as the best Mario game either.

You guys are in for a world of disappointment if you seriously think they will remake Super Mario 64 AND Super Mario Sunshine in this game on top of a dozen whatever other kingdoms. Fun throwbacks maybe, but not the entire games. Sheesh.

Top Bottom