• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Official Website Live, Confirms Location (CAUTION SPOILERS)

spad3

Missing Kingdoms/Locales:
BeanBean Kingdom
Isle Delfino
Pi’ilow Island
Yoshi’s Island(Dinosaur Land of Mushroom Kingdom)
Sarasaland

Anything else?

You forgot the region that has all those dope ass RACE TRACKS: NASCARIO KINGDOM

My speculation:
-We've seen all the Kingdoms already.
-Forgotten Isle isn't kingdom, it's just an island.
-Lava level is actually on the moon.

I really don't see why this game would need DLC seems pretty huge already.

Zelda had what seems to be a very expensive production I can kinda see why it needed DLC and it seems the story DLC has been quietly delays since it should have been a Holiday 2017 release and they have not hinted a a release date yet.

I would like SMO to be a complete game upfront I really don't like seeing Nintendo trending down the path of DLC

I also hope they would have announced DLC by now and not just announce it later.

I don't think they want to take any attention away from Mario. Mid November I expect to start hearing about Zelda DLC and Xeno.

BeanBean Kingdom
Isle Delfino
Pi'ilow Island
Yoshi's Island(Dinosaur Land of Mushroom Kingdom)
Sarasaland

Anything else?

Sarasaland is technically made up of 4 kingdoms-- The Birabuto Kingdom, the Muda Kingdom, the Easton Kingdom, and the Chai Kingdom. Would've been cool to see the Chai Kingdom in Odyssey.

Dyle

BeanBean Kingdom
Isle Delfino
Pi'ilow Island
Yoshi's Island(Dinosaur Land of Mushroom Kingdom)
Sarasaland

Anything else?
https://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_implied_locations

Subcon from Mario Bros 2 USA
University of Goom from Paper Mario:TTYD
Waffle Kingdom, who wouldn't want to visit Jazzafraz Town, the Strudel Continent, from Paper Mario: TTYD
Flipside/Flopside and the Whoa Zone from Super Paper Mario
Diamond City from Warioware
Feudal Japan from Odama with pinball obstacles and giant spider heads

Ualeh, where KKDU an alien from a German Club Nintendo comic was from
KKDU is a purple alien with wings and tentacles and is the main villain of the comic story "Sag niemals Holerö!", published in the German Club Nintendo magazine. Only near the end of the comic does KKDU reveal its true appearance; otherwise, it appears in human disguise as a Schlager singer called Heini (pronounced HIGH-nee). KKDU comes from a planet called Ualeh.

KKDU is part of a group of aliens planning to invade Earth; its command is to turn the planet into a "fast food restaurant". For this reason, KKDU appears in its Heini form on Earth, singing a song called "Holerö" that turns all humans who listen to it into food. Mario, TicToc and Bomberman are among the few people who can resist the spell, and soon attempt to stop the evil alien. They are supported by Todojewski and Mahgo, who explain KKDU's plans to them, but also are fooled by KKDU's allies Nicole, Pia and Balu.

The heroes are finally able to find and defeat the alien in the Alte Oper, Frankfurt. A concert by Heini is announced there, and Mario and his friends get into the kitchen, where they overhear Heini talking to one of his fellows. Heini reveals his true alien appearance, and the transformed humans are served to his alien fellows. However, TicToc and Bomberman use their powers of stopping time and throwing bombs (respectively), while Mario and Bomberman evacuate the food people. The bombs explode, and the people are saved. However, KKDU manages to escape and takes a spaceship back to his home planet Ualeh, announcing that he will return. Despite this, Heini has not appeared in the Mario franchise again so far.
Alienguy.jpg

Deepest lore

Niosai

Honestly, I'm sure they'll have Delfino playable as either post-game content or as a DLC world. It'd be really cool, regardless.

Forkball

https://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_implied_locations

Subcon from Mario Bros 2 USA
University of Goom from Paper Mario:TTYD
Waffle Kingdom, who wouldn't want to visit Jazzafraz Town, the Strudel Continent, from Paper Mario: TTYD
Flipside/Flopside and the Whoa Zone from Super Paper Mario
Diamond City from Warioware
Feudal Japan from Odama with pinball obstacles and giant spider heads

Ualeh, where KKDU an alien from a German Club Nintendo comic was from

Alienguy.jpg

Deepest lore
I’m failing to see the Odama/Mario connection. If Mario is just going to any place that ever graced a Nintendo console he needs to check out Shadow Moses.

Pizza

BeanBean Kingdom
Isle Delfino
Pi’ilow Island
Yoshi’s Island(Dinosaur Land of Mushroom Kingdom)
Sarasaland

Anything else?

Mario Land from Six Golden Coins.

Mario had his own castle and giant robot and everyone forgot. WHO IS MANAGING THAT CASTLE?
Beanbean Kingdom, isle Delfino, and Mario Land in one game would be enough to launch it to GOAT mario status instantly

Id also totally take Diamond City or Rogueport!!! It’d be hard to navigate, but a big cluster of planetoids as a space kingdom or something. Shit throw in some Shroobs while you’re up there!

Dyle

I’m failing to see the Odama/Mario connection. If Mario is just going to any place that ever graced a Nintendo console he needs to check out Shadow Moses.

Well when you time travel to Kyoto c. 2000, striking the Nintendo headquarters provides the inspiration for GBA masterpiece
/s
Mario Pinball Land. Yeah idk, I guess I just want to be able to capture a giant boulder and make a kingdom a musou level running down samurais and goombas.

Shadow Moses would be great though, imagine guards walking up to Mario capturing a box and saying "It's just a box...with a mustache"

this sounds desperate

Like "not only is the world on the moon still happening, there's going to be an ocean of lava on the moon".

Maybe it's in the moon because in real life, the moon's core is hot and has molten iron. Plus it thematically fits the "lava is the final level" that's been in every Mario game.

Pure speculation, but some people are suspecting 15 kingdoms in the game based on how much space the Odyssey has for stickers.

tumblr_owfxbl2NUs1rrftcdo3_500.png

If true, that means there are five more kingdoms left undiscovered. One is certainly the moon, so that's four completely unknown kingdoms. I'm convinced there is some sort of Japan-inspired kingdom. Miyamoto wore a shirt with a samurai Mario on it last year when promoting Super Mario Run. There is the obvious Ran/Run pun, but it seems like a lot of work to model this JUST for a pun and a shirt Miyamoto wears twice. Trinen also hinted the shirt had a secret, and this was way before we know about the travel theme.

If that costume is in the game I will wear nothing else unless I specifically have to for a mission.

I hope the game includes 'Special Kingdom' hidden from the map and accessible by finding some alternate map exit or something. That would be so cool. Like how star road tied the different world's together in SMW.

RagnarokX

Other Kingdoms:

The Lost Isle is the twilight/dusk tropical island.

There's a lot of hints that you eventually go to the moon.

Delfino island appears on some of the promo maps.

There is a lava world that looks like it might be on a peninsula on the continent of New Donk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_jQH1W0UBY&list=TLGGbt7ihJ2E5EcxNjEwMjAxNw

There's also the Bat Wing looking area of the map that is probably the "spooky" kingdom.

That would put it at 15 kingdoms. Not saying that's all correct, but most of the stuff on the map that is distinctly shaped is a kingdom with a matching theme.

The land that this video assumes is the lava world is Sand Kingdom. It's shaped like a bunch of the gemstones that Sand Kingdom is famous for.

The bat wing seems to be part of the lunchdom kingdom, interesting.

Well, they're on the same continent. Metro Kingdom is on the same landmass as well.

It's more apparent on the in-game globe. I went down to Best Buy and made this video:
ld0HtEd.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFF1ZbiJ0Jc

The globe is topographical and each kingdom has unique topography. Luncheon has pink ground and is rather small. The bat wing is green and dark. You can see the individual gemstones that comprise Sand Kingdom. Lake Kingdom is very white and Wooded Kingdom is green. Forgotten Isle's islands are surrounded by poison water but it's hard to see on my capture. The Southeastern area of Metro Kingdom appears to be dry. Mushroom Kingdom is colored like a 1UP Mushroom, which is funny since those don't exist in this game. The island that's sorta shaped like a flame appears to be covered in clouds/smoke. Isle Delfino is not visible, but it could just be small.

d3p7a3x.png

5boTSXu.png

qpFoOD4.png

My own guess:

I think a reimagining of all the N64 levels may be a bit far-fetched, but here's my own wild speculation:

I imagine the post game may consist of this: A re-imagining of Princess Peach's castle complete with enterable paintings, except they lead to curated challenges within the games' Kingdoms you already explore over the course of the game.

The Edge review already mentions that you get early teases of future kingdoms by entering paintings in entirely separate locations, so the post game could be an extended version of this with all the kingoms of the game visitable through Peach's castle.

Also, with many hints pointing to there being 14/15 kingdoms, equaling Mario 64's level set, it would match up quite nicely.

I like this. Peach and her castle are the curators of the post-game.

I do wonder whether moon will be pre or post game. It could very well be the champion's road equivalent.

RagnarokX

I like this. Peach and her castle are the curators of the post-game.

I do wonder whether moon will be pre or post game. It could very well be the champion's road equivalent.

My thoughts are that it will turn out that the Broodals are using the wedding thing to manipulate Bowser and the final boss will be some kind of rabbit moon goddess.

ckfy63a

I’ve been thinking...why does every Kingdom have a name and a sublocale (e.g., Metro Kingdom - New Donk City), if there is only one sublocale per Kingdom? I’m starting to think maybe there lies the postgame — a secondary location in each Kingdom with some tougher challenges or something. Supporting this theory possibly — there was an area shown off during the NWC with a yellow moon, but we couldn’t see the Regional Coin — maybe an alternate location in either Tropical Kingdom or Cascade Kingdom? It looked comparatively challenging compared to what we’ve seen in the game so far.

RagnarokX

I’ve been thinking...why does every Kingdom have a name and a sublocale (e.g., Metro Kingdom - New Donk City), if there is only one sublocale per Kingdom? I’m starting to think maybe there lies the postgame — a secondary location in each Kingdom with some tougher challenges or something. Supporting this theory possibly — there was an area shown off during the NWC with a yellow moon, but we couldn’t see the Regional Coin — maybe an alternate location in either Tropical Kingdom or Cascade Kingdom? It looked comparatively challenging compared to what we’ve seen in the game so far.

That was a sub level in Forgotten Isle. Forgotten Isle's moons are dark yellow and the ruins motiff of that sub level fits Forgotten Isle's theme.

Sub levels don't have to fit their kingdom, though. There's a sub level in New Donk City where you go into a sewer and end up in a starry void. And there are sublevels like these across the world:
gk2YMMu.jpg

This one is in Bubblaine, Seaside Kingdom.

ckfy63a

Well, there are only 8 special coins so there would only be 8 kingdoms?

Cap - Hat Coins
Cascade - Wheel Coins
Sand - Pyramid Coins
Metro - Pauline Coins
Wooded - Bolt Coins
Seaside - Shell Coins
Snow - Snowflake Coins
Luncheon - Polygonal Tomato Coins
Tropical (?) - Leaf Coins
Lake Kingdom - ?
Mushroom Kingdom - ?

That’s at least 11 Kingdoms.

That was a sub level in Forgotten Isle. Forgotten Isle's moons are dark yellow and the ruins motiff of that sub level fits Forgotten Isle's theme.

Sub levels don't have to fit their kingdom, though. There's a sub level in New Donk City where you go into a sewer and end up in a starry void. And there are sublevels like these across the world:
gk2YMMu.jpg

This one is in Bubblaine, Seaside Kingdom.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up! For some reason I recall there being some NWC gameplay where the HUD didn’t show Local Coins, so I thought there was a secret hiding there.

RagnarokX

Ah, thanks for clearing that up! For some reason I recall there being some NWC gameplay where the HUD didn’t show Local Coins, so I thought there was a secret hiding there.
The HUD didn't show local coins, but the moon was Forgotten Isle color. It was a rocketship level. They probably just hid the coins cuz they haven't officially revealed Forgotten Isle yet.

Forkball

I wonder if Luigi is going to be playable in this game. The last Mario platformer released where you couldn't pick him was Sunshine. It might be too much effort to remodel all the costumes to suit his stature, as well as putting a Luigi hat on all the capturable enemies. Perhaps he only appears in special stages and without Cappy. Or maybe you can capture him at some point and control him. I'm curious to see how Luigi looks like with two mustaches.

KeRaSh

From the website said:
Running low on life? Can’t find that last Power Moon? No worries—Crazy Cap’s got you covered!

So you can buy a Moon for 100 coins. Is this to help you if you really can't find a missing Moon, or is this just the standard "collect 100 coins to get a Star" Moon?

I'm so incredibly hyped for this game!

SirShandy

So you can buy a Moon for 100 coins. Is this to help you if you really can't find a missing Moon, or is this just the standard "collect 100 coins to get a Star" Moon?

I'm so incredibly hyped for this game!

Functionally, the 100 coin moon can serve as both. It doesn't replace any other moon in the kingdom, but since your advancement is based on number of moons, you can choose to pay for one if you don't feel like searching for another. If you're just trying to collect every moon, it means searching for/already having 100 coins in your pocket to collect each store-bought moon.

KeRaSh

Functionally, the 100 coin moon can serve as both. It doesn't replace any other moon in the kingdom, but since your advancement is based on number of moons, you can choose to pay for one if you don't feel like searching for another. If you're just trying to collect every moon, it means searching for/already having 100 coins in your pocket to collect each store-bought moon.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. Thanks!

Are people still saying that there's no more kingdoms than those listed?

Forgotten Isle is almost 100% a kingdom, so if there's one more held back, then that means that there could be even more unlisted.

1. They outright showed off a bunch of kingdoms then said "But we don't want to show you too much," then had footage of the purple water area in the September Direct. It's worth noting you see the Odyssey in the footage (aka mario landed there, so it is NOT a subzone). I think the implication is clear if you watch when the footage is shown in relation to the statement made.
2. You also see the sticker on the Odyssey in other footage.
3. I'm more iffy on this one but I think we have seen it's purple coins? could be wrong.

It may not be a "kingdom" because there's no inhabitants, possibly. Or it will get a kingdom name later.

I guess it doesn't matter, the game is out so soon, but I don't want people turned off thinking there's a lack of content.

Top Bottom