• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Two Special Kingdoms discussion *Major Spoilers*

Wamb0wneD

I think you should keep your expectations in check. I don't think this game will control as good as the best Mario game, and I doubt it will be as good as the best Mario game either.

Most people who played it and know what they are talking about like speedrunners say it does control that good.

How long and big do you think the game will be compared to its other 3D siblings (64 and Sunshine)?

And why am I reading complaints about the graphics already?

slorelli

Neo Member
How long and big do you think the game will be compared to its other 3D siblings (64 and Sunshine)?

I'm calling 15 Kingdoms of varying sizes all averaging out to a campaign length of about 30 hours not counting extra content. Game will be filled with nostalgic callbacks and easter eggs spanning over 30 years of Mario's history. Even if its not the best game ever, Mario fans will not be disappointed.

sanstesy

I'm not sure why Nintendo fans always get most excited about them remaking old games. This is a new game by Tokyo and they should/hopefully will devote 99% of their resources on completely newly designed content with some nice easter eggs here and there.

If this game's post-content is mostly old content with a new coat of paint I couldn't be more bummed out. Any resources from them that could have been used on new content is wasted. Odyssey doesn't need these shallow nostalgia grabs at all.

Every map shown so far is at least four times bigger than even the largest SM64 levels. Some, like Wooded Kingdom, look as big as all the maps on a given floor of Peach's 64 castle combined. And each map is way more densely packed with shit to see and do.

This game is like several Mario 64s

I'm not sure why Nintendo fans always get most excited about them remaking old games. This is a new game by Tokyo and they should/hopefully will devote 99% of their resources on completely newly designed content with some nice easter eggs here and there.

If this game's post-content is mostly old content with a new coat of paint I couldn't be more bummed out. Any resources from them that could have been used on new content is wasted. Odyssey doesn't need these shallow nostalgia grabs at all.

Singling out Nintendo fans for this is silly...some of the biggest Xbox and PS4 games are remasters or remakes. Upcoming SoTC, Crash, FFXII, Halo: MCC, list goes on.

If this game's post-content is mostly old content with a new coat of paint I couldn't be more bummed out. Any resources from them that could have been used on new content is wasted. Odyssey is simply not the game for that.

What on earth are you talking about. People are simply hoping for a Kingdom or two that take place in settings not yet touched on in a 3D Mario game for decades. When was the last time a 3D Mario game featured Delfino Plaza as a playable location with stages? 64's Mushroom Kingdom? (and no the 10 seconds from Galaxy 1 doesn't count)

Even if it turns out that DelFino/Mushroom Kingdom make the cut, that's what, 2 of 10(or more!) kingdoms? The majority of the game is all new content, locals, themes and places.

Neither did Galaxy 2 and yet Throwback didn't hurt the game's perception. Far from it

NeonZ

Believe in Koizumi

God there is a chance they could remake all of Mario 64 in this game lol

I really don't think that will happen. Based on the reports, the castle's sides are fairly different from the N64 ones
(They're like towers over the water).

I think there's a higher chance they'll have some new content around the castle (maybe referencing other games, like a kart track and such) rather than entirely recreating Mario 64's castle interior and levels.

sanstesy

Singling out Nintendo fans for this is silly...some of the biggest Xbox and PS4 games are remasters or remakes. Upcoming SoTC, Crash, FFXII, Halo: MCC, list goes on.

There is a difference between single-release remakes/remasters and a lot of content from your new game being a remake of other games.

What on earth are you talking about. People are simply hoping for a Kingdom or two that take place in settings not yet touched on in a 3D Mario game for decades. When was the last time a 3D Mario game featured Delfino Plaza as a playable location with stages? 64's Mushroom Kingdom? (and no the 10 seconds from Galaxy 1 doesn't count)

Even if it turns out that DelFino/Mushroom Kingdom make the cut, that's what, 2 of 10(or more!) kingdoms? The majority of the game is all new content, locals, themes and places.

Not sure what is hard to understand? Two out of the ten kingdoms being rehashed level design would be 20% of the game's content and of course, that would be a complete waste - which instead could have been devoted to two completely newly designed kingdoms. I can play 64 and Sunshine right now every day I want.

Neither did Galaxy 2 and yet Throwback didn't hurt the game's perception. Far from it

Throwback was a simple one-off level that is not comparable at all to remaking 64 and Sunshine. One is a small throwback and the other is devoting resources and time to a shallow nostalgia grab which could have been used for new content and at least one completely new kingdom instead.

Thanks for reminding me that everyone has experienced Super Mario 64. I was under the impression that you could combine the sales of all 3D Mario games and still end up with a number smaller than either of last gen's major 2D Mario releases, but yeah, you're right, such a thing would only be for people who have played Mario 64 before, and that's literally everyone. It'd just be a nostalgic cash grab and a waste of resources when they could be making something that literally everyone hasn't already seen before. Especially since it would be the exact same game and content as 64, no creative liberties to bring new life to those worlds, and certainly no Cappy.

This dude is completely clueless. Talking like Mario 64/Sunshine are going to have their games fully remade in Odyssey 😂

sanstesy

Thanks for reminding me that everyone has experienced Super Mario 64. I was under the impression that you could combine the sales of all 3D Mario games and still end up with a number smaller than either of last gen's major 2D Mario releases, but yeah, you're right, such a thing would only be for people who have played Mario 64 before, and that's literally everyone. It'd just be a nostalgic cash grab and a waste of resources when they could be making something that literally everyone hasn't already seen before. Especially since it would be the exact same game and content as 64, no creative liberties to bring new life to those worlds, and certainly no Cappy.

Not sure what you are trying to achieve here with this low-quality satirical post especially as you are even missing the point.

This dude is completely clueless. Talking like Mario 64/Sunshine are going to have their games fully remade in Odyssey ��

Your condescending tone comes off even more clueless when I never said they would remake these games in Odyssey. EPD Tokyo luckily knows better than their fans.

Bowser Kingdom could be very cool.
That would be pretty cool. Other themes that could work would be an underground mine for Crystals, gold and other treasure or a toy world.

Also, OP, didn't they remove Delfino Island from the map in some recent footage or promo, not add it?
The map was on an ad for the game. Which was retweeted by one of the game designers, this was after the September Direct.

This dude is completely clueless. Talking like Mario 64/Sunshine are going to have their games fully remade in Odyssey 😂
Two people have made this suggestion. Tired of some of the shit posting in this thread.

Not sure what is hard to understand? Two out of the ten kingdoms being rehashed level design would be 20% of the game's content and of course, that would be a complete waste - which instead could have been devoted to two completely newly designed kingdoms. I can play 64 and Sunshine right now every day I want.
How are you so convinced that they are literally going to copy and paste the level design from those games if featured, and call it a day? GameXplain already confirmed that even the Peach's castle in the Mushroom Kingdom is nothing like the layout in the 64 version. These locations will only be the same thematically, and will not be mini-remakes like you think, on top of most likely featuring entirely new stages and layouts. Catering to the Mario/Cappy gameplay gimmick guarantees that the layout needs to change to support it. Hey, but I'm sure you'll be able to skip these worlds you are so disgusted by and be able to beat the game without touching them like in most Mario games.

sanstesy

How are you so convinced that they are literally going to copy and paste the level design from those games if featured, and call it a day? GameXplain already confirmed that even the Peach's castle in the Mushroom Kingdom is nothing like the layout in the 64 version. These locations will only be the same thematically, and will not be mini-remakes like you think, on top of most likely featuring entirely new stages and layouts. Catering to the Mario/Cappy gameplay gimmick guarantees that the layout needs to change to support it. Hey, but I'm sure you'll be able to skip these worlds you are so disgusted by and be able to beat the game without touching them like in most Mario games.

You're missing that I'm not convinced or "disgusted" of anything. Since the beginning, I was talking about people in this thread and others before that just want 64 or/and Sunshine remade in Odyssey.

You're missing that I'm not convinced or "disgusted" of anything. Since the beginning, I was talking about people in this thread and others before that just want 64 or/and Sunshine remade in Odyssey.

Well I mean that's just ridiculous no matter how optimistic someone is. Aint no 64 or Sunshine getting "remade".

I'll go out on a limb and guess the paintings are gateways to one-off, self-contained levels inspired by previous Mario games. The New Donk painting could lead to a DK -inspired level,
Peach's castle
could be another throwback level, etc. Literally jumping into Mario's past exploits.

Nobody should be expecting that. It's a ludicrous dream. Nintendo ain't remaking whole games into this game.

Wtf... Is the OP title a fucking spoiler... ???
image.php

TransTrender

Gold Member
Who actually knows I'm still trying to process how to spoil a mario game
Great question. People were giving me flack on how an action set piece involving a train in Uncharted LL was a major spoiler when it just looked like generic action set piece #54.

I kind of hope they don't do that. If they're going to bring back an old location, I hope it's something that isn't from the 3D games but rather from the 2D games and reimagined into a 3D setting. Or maybe something just out of left field. Something like Subcon from SMB2, one of the Kingdoms from SML on Gameboy, Rougeport from Paper Mario, the BeanBean Kingdom. It would be nice to see them reach back into their past and grab something really weird but really fun.

Lynd7

While having the whole game inside Odyssey is not something that will happen, I expect a decent throwback to both games.

I could however see a full SM64 remake come out as DLC, or at least some more select level remakes in a pack full of extra worlds. Cash in on the 20 years since 64.

RagnarokX

After playing the demo at Best Buy, I'm like 99% certain the bat wing land is a kingdom. The globe on board the odyssey is topographical, and the topography of the land around Mount Volbono (Luncheon Kingdom) is distinct from the topography of the bat wing next to it.

Avalanche

They'll be versions of the Peach's Castle and Delfino Plaza hubs at most. Doubt any of the other levels will be remade (and after replaying Mario 64, their time would probably be better spent making new levels).

I also assume the moon will be some Galaxy-style throwback.

RagnarokX

They'll be versions of the Peach's Castle and Delfino Plaza hubs at most. Doubt any of the other levels will be remade (and after replaying Mario 64, their time would probably be better spent making new levels).

I also assume the moon will be some Galaxy-style throwback.

The Moon is definitely the end of the main game. The Broodals are probably manipulating Bowser with the wedding thing to awaken the rabbit goddess on the Moon or something.

Top Bottom