• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyzon

Blake's at it again.

BxmixZ_IEAAe1kk.png

And a bonus.

BxmlIFwIEAApaPx.jpg

Second one needs M2K's face over the kid.

I've got a question for you guys. If all I have is the demo and I'm wanting to try and brush up my skills, what are some advanced techniques I can already start working on? I don't have any previous experience with trying "pro" play in previous games, so any suggestions would be very appreciated! I'm pretty much just trying to master Mario right now; new physics definitely make his meteor smash off stage a lot of fun to pull off.

Too early to put any advanced techniques to practice. We're still in the stage where we're going to be discovering a lot of new things. Some will be useful, but most will be utterly useless and won't see much application. There's not much you can do with the demo alone, since most advanced techniques that will be discovered will be character specific or otherwise situational. For now, practice your pivots (tilts, smashes, jumps), and don't forget the importance of the basics such as spacing. What more you can do is just try to get a good feel for the mechanics. Get comfortable with the ledge, diving deep, and making plays off the stage. Learn intricacies of grabs and throws and how they directly link to other moves and approaches.

Do this until you can start playing with others. Then abandon CPU training and start learning the basics of mindgames and reads. Players having the ability to adapt to play tactics is largely what your competition is going to be in any competitive environment.

Hatchtag

Banned
Flying Man on Magicant is the dumbest design decision in any Smash game. How the hell anyone thought making a stage hazard that is literally a team mate is beyond me. It ruins what is otherwise one of the best stages in the game, to the point that I absolutely hate playing on it and groan anytime Ness comes up in classic mode. I'm almost happy Lucas is cut, just so I don't have a higher chance of playing on this fucking stage.

The Custom Moveset Debate?

Are they discussing if they'll allow custom movesets at tournaments?

Personally, I think they should since it adds another dimension of strategy. With that said, if it turns out that certain custom moves make a character imbalanced, they might take it out.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Personally, I think they should since it adds another dimension of strategy. With that said, if it turns out that certain custom moves make a character imbalanced, they might take it out.

Honestly, it doesn't feel (so far) that custom movesets break the balance. Every move has upsides and downsides.

Do we know what's gonna be the first big Smash 4 Tournament?

How do you get 411 moves?

Oops, 441.

49 characters, 3 specials moves, each special moves has 3 customs. 3x3=9, 9x49=441.

Flying Man on Magicant is the dumbest design decision in any Smash game. How the hell anyone thought making a stage hazard that is literally a team mate is beyond me. It ruins what is otherwise one of the best stages in the game, to the point that I absolutely hate playing on it and groan anytime Ness comes up in classic mode. I'm almost happy Lucas is cut, just so I don't have a higher chance of playing on this fucking stage.

You can always, y'know, not choose the Earthbound path in Classic mode...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've got a question for you guys. If all I have is the demo and I'm wanting to try and brush up my skills, what are some advanced techniques I can already start working on? I don't have any previous experience with trying "pro" play in previous games, so any suggestions would be very appreciated! I'm pretty much just trying to master Mario right now; new physics definitely make his meteor smash off stage a lot of fun to pull off.

I don't think there is much right now. D1 mentioned using shield to cancel part of the turning animation to semi-sorta-kinda-but-not-really-dash dance, and something about downward momentum canceling but he lost his train of thought and never went into details about that.

And I'd totally recommend playing Path of Radiance before Radiant Dawn if at all possible.

jmizzal

The Gust Bellows has to be one of the best items lol, you can rack up on knock outs with it, just keep blowing it and nobody can recover but only on stages like Battlefield with where you can fall off the sides

Too early to put any advanced techniques to practice. We're still in the stage where we're going to be discovering a lot of new things. Some will be useful, but most will be utterly useless and won't see much application. There's not much you can do with the demo alone, since most advanced techniques that will be discovered will be character specific or otherwise situational. For now, practice your pivots (tilts, smashes, jumps), and don't forget the importance of the basics such as spacing. What more you can do is just try to get a good feel for the mechanics. Get comfortable with the ledge, diving deep, and making plays off the stage. Learn intricacies of grabs and throws and how they directly link to other moves and approaches.

Do this until you can start playing with others. Then abandon CPU training and start learning the basics of mindgames and reads. Players having the ability to adapt to play tactics is largely what your competition is going to be in any competitive environment.
Yeah, advance techniques might've been a bad way to put it: I guess I meant more what should I start getting comfortable with, which you went on to explain rather well. Thanks! Can't wait to have online.

I don't think there is much right now. D1 mentioned using shield to cancel part of the turning animation to semi-sorta-kinda-but-not-really-dash dance, and something about downward momentum canceling but he lost his train of thought and never went into details about that.
Interesting. I want to try and catch him next time he's on stream, I haven't been hearing his thoughts on the game outside of twitter.

Oops, 441.

49 characters, 3 specials moves, each special moves has 3 customs. 3x3=9, 9x49=441.

Don't Miis+Palutena already have them all?
besides there are 4 special moves, and since you already have the default there are only 4x2=8 per character you need to unlock, so 47x8=376 (or 51x8=408 if they don't come with all of theirs)

rekameohs

Banned
Honestly, it doesn't feel (so far) that custom movesets break the balance. Every move has upsides and downsides.

Do we know what's gonna be the first big Smash 4 Tournament?

Oops, 441.

There are 51 characters. The Miis have three unique movesets, each with custom moves.

emb

We don't really have many advanced techniques so far. I guess try to get in the habit of holding 'down' any time a move would maybe send you far. Make sure you can shorthop autocancel moves and do something else quickly afterward (do the aerial so that you land after it ends and suffer no lag) and short hop double aerials (works with uair, bair, maybe dair then nair or something?). Then there's stuff like pivot ftilt/fsmash to do. And try some of his simpler combos (like dthrow utilt x4 uair uair up b or whatever, or dtilt fsmash, see what else you come up with), and try those on computers of different levels over and over to see how consistent you can get them. (But know that with people they may not work like that)

More so just worry about getting used to how Mario's moves hit and how he controls. Try to imagine scenarios that would come up against humans and how you would handle them. Best thing you can do is of course to find someone else with the demo and play, of course.

Cody_D165

Banned

Right now there are very few ATs for this game. There are some small things like pivoting, which is essentially doing an action out of your turnaround animation in the opposite direction. You can do pivot tilts, pivot grabs, and pivot smashes. Learn which of your characters have aerials that can autocancel, and practice spacing. Run up shield is looking like a very strong option in this game because it helps you control your character out of dashing, and additionally the game appears to have low shieldstun. Also shield drops fast and you'll be able to act quickly out of it.

Edit: oh yeah, downward DI is looking pretty important as the post above mentions.

We don't really have many advanced techniques so far. I guess try to get in the habit of holding 'down' any time a move would maybe send you far. Make sure you can shorthop autocancel moves and do something else quickly afterward (do the aerial so that you land after it ends and suffer no lag) and short hop double aerials (works with uair, bair, maybe dair then nair or something?). Then there's stuff like pivot ftilt/fsmash to do. And try some of his simpler combos (like dthrow utilt x4 uair uair up b or whatever, or dtilt fsmash, see what else you come up with), and try those on computers of different levels over and over to see how consistent you can get them. (But know that with people they may not work like that)

More so just worry about getting used to how Mario's moves hit and how he controls. Try to imagine scenarios that would come up against humans and how you would handle them. Best thing you can do is of course to find someone else with the demo and play, of course.
Ah yeah, I never really attempt any DI stuff, I should get in the habit of that. And I've gotten in the habit of doing the 'DThrow + Utilt + UAir etc' combo pretty instinctively, which is makes this feel like a whole new game as I've never bee nthe type of Smash to consciously try and string combos together. I'm just super excited that I can start this game with the whole community and not feel like I'm years behind like with Melee.

Right now there are very few ATs for this game. There are some small things like pivoting, which is essentially doing an action out of your turnaround animation in the opposite direction. You can do pivot tilts, pivot grabs, and pivot smashes. Learn which of your characters have aerials that can autocancel, and practice spacing. Run up shield is looking like a very strong option in this game because it helps you control your character out of dashing, and additionally the game appears to have low shieldstun. Also shield drops fast and you'll be able to act quickly out of it.

Edit: oh yeah, downward DI is looking pretty important as the post above mentions.
Even reading it laid out like that, pivoting is still such a foreign concept to me! I'm going to have to put some hours in to get that to be second nature. Still, it's exciting having so much to work on in the demo, even if it's just against CPUs.

Revven

The Custom Moveset Debate?

Are they discussing if they'll allow custom movesets at tournaments?

Originally he was discussing some of the problems with early tournaments with custom moves. Like how people who don't have them all unlocked are at a disadvantage because they can't lab it out against the custom moves they don't have.

Like, say you're introduced to Falco's laser ball mid-tournament and you didn't know he had that move (because you haven't unlocked it yet and there isn't a complete list of custom moves yet per character). You can try to adapt to it mid-match and everything but it's not working out. So, after the set you decide you want to lab it out on how to beat the laser ball -- you know, see if you have any options against it.

...Except you realize you haven't unlocked it yet so now you can't learn about it until you do. Now think about multiplying that by every character and every custom move in the game that you'd have to learn + how those custom moves interact with each other + how Palutena/Miis having the advantage of having theirs unlocked from the start. Palutena would have an adv. early on in a sense.

He wasn't having a discussion that would actually end in custom moves being banned, just a harmless discussion about some of the problems that have arisen with how you have to unlock them and the problems the community faces with new players entering the scene and not having everything unlocked, how unfair it could be, etc etc. At least, for the 3DS version as it stands right now early on in the game's life.

Wii U version would be a different story because it would be possible to transfer the moves to Wii Us so all you need is one 3DS game that has all the moves to transfer them to every Wii U save file in the venue. 3DS players themselves have to unlock them per their 3DS though...

It makes me kinda wish there was a way to streetpass or 'trade' custom moves. :/

I been playing the demo for a couple hours, its so difficult getting use to the air physics but I'm slowly getting there! I love how Megan plays like an 8-bit character.

Jawmuncher

Ugh got to another choke point on Xenoblade.
This has been my entire experience with the game.

All of this just so that when I use shulk in Smash it won't be BS since I've beaten his game.

emb

Ah yeah, I never really attempt any DI stuff, I should get in the habit of that. And I've gotten in the habit of doing the 'DThrow + Utilt + UAir etc' combo pretty instinctively, which is makes this feel like a whole new game as I've never bee nthe type of Smash to consciously try and string combos together. I'm just super excited that I can start this game with the whole community and not feel like I'm years behind like with Melee.

Even reading it laid out like that, pivoting is still such a foreign concept to me! I'm going to have to put some hours in to get that to be second nature. Still, it's exciting having so much to work on in the demo, even if it's just against CPUs.
Normally DI is a pretty hard thing to work on in general. Getting out of the little combos in this game might still be complicated, but it seems like survival DI is getting even easier. Before it was roughly that you should hold the direction perpendicular to where you're getting hit. Now it's sounding like the thing is just to hold down.

It's nice to start out on the same page as everyone, yeah. But it's never too late to get into any of the games. I just started trying competitive 64 in the past few months. Of course I'm awful, but it's a lot of fun. And like my local community for all the Smash games, everyone seems really welcoming.

Blizzard

Banned
Don't Miis+Palutena already have them all?
besides there are 4 special moves, and since you already have the default there are only 4x2=8 per character you need to unlock, so 47x8=376 (or 51x8=408 if they don't come with all of theirs)
Do Mii's and Palutena have all their moves unlocked from the start? Can Palutena select custom moves in For Glory, unlike everyone else?

Normally DI is a pretty hard thing to work on in general. Getting out of the little combos in this game might still be complicated, but it seems like survival DI is getting even easier. Before it was roughly that you should hold the direction perpendicular to where you're getting hit. Now it's sounding like the thing is just to hold down.

It's nice to start out on the same page as everyone, yeah. But it's never too late to get into any of the games. I just started trying competitive 64 in the past few months. Of course I'm awful, but it's a lot of fun. And like my local community for all the Smash games, everyone seems really welcoming.
Oh yeah, despite some of the venom in the online community, any time I've been in the competitive community in person they've been super welcoming. I just didn't really delve into competitive Smash until a little over a year ago, so with this game so close I decided to put my cards on Smash 4 being competitively viable and learning with everyone else.

Game came this morning. Been playing all day.

So good. Nearly unlocked the entire first page of challenges. Is that how you get page two? Or is it unlocking all the characters?

Game came this morning. Been playing all day.

So good. Nearly unlocked the entire first page of challenges. Is that how you get page two? Or is it unlocking all the characters?
I'm not sure of the challenges, but that would make sense. Also, out of curiosity, who have you enjoyed playing so far?

Peléo

From a competitive point of view, which stages do you think will be viable?

The obvious ones are Battlefield, FInal Destination and Yoshi Island. Among the rest, the ones which seems most suitable are Arena Ferox, Tamodachi Life, Prism Tower, Tortimer Island, F-Zero and Magicant. Still, it all comes out about how do their hazards/plataform disposition harm the gameplay.

Azure J

Greninja has the best or second best (behind Palutena) movement in this game free. D1's stream is crazy educational right now. Shield Dancing is that 20XX tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom