• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr-Joker

Banned
When a move has super armor, you don't flinch on the wind-up. You still take damage, but you don't flinch. So in the case of Rock Smash, Charizard will lift up the boulder and pulverize with his skull, and no one can interrupt his move. They can only get the hell out of the way. Super-armor is what makes so much of Little Mac's ground game so good, as well. :)

Oooooh, I always found Rock Smash to be useless in Brawl but knowing that Charizard can finish the attack makes me think otherwise.

I just hope that Charizard doesn't feel heavy and slow in Smash Bros 4 as I like my fighter to be quick and nimble.

Is their no black Charizard? That is a huge bummer.

No Black Charizard is in the game.

I been playing the demo for a couple hours, its so difficult getting use to the air physics but I'm slowly getting there! I love how Megan plays like an 8-bit character.

Megan? o_O;

Hatchtag

Banned
I'm disappointed it won't be competitively viable, but it's not a bad stage. It's hard to take a statement like that seriously when we've had the atrocities that are New Pork Garbage and 75 Wat.

It is a bad stage though. Flying Man is such a terrible, terrible hazard. I like stages that aren't competitive. I even liked stages like New Pork City and Spear Pillar. I can't like this stage. The Flying Man is just so, so ridiculously annoying and broken.

Honestly, it doesn't feel (so far) that custom movesets break the balance. Every move has upsides and downsides.

Do we know what's gonna be the first big Smash 4 Tournament?

Oops, 441.

49 characters, 3 specials moves, each special moves has 3 customs. 3x3=9, 9x49=441.

Actually, each character has 4 special moves (up, down, neutral, forward + B), but only 2 customs each (the third option is the regular. Also, you need to count the three Mii options.

So it's 51x4x2 = 408 customs. Still, it's a lot of stuff to unlock!

Peléo;130176755 said:
From a competitive point of view, which stages do you think will be viable?

The obvious ones are Battlefield, FInal Destination and Yoshi Island. Among the rest, the ones which seems most suitable are Arena Ferox, Tomodachi Life, Prism Tower, Tortimer Island, F-Zero and Magicant. Still, it all comes out about how do their hazards/plataform disposition harm the gameplay.

not sure if serious, Flying Man=instabanned

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It is a bad stage though. Flying Man is such a terrible, terrible hazard. I like stages that aren't competitive. I even liked stages like New Pork City and Spear Pillar. I can't like this stage. The Flying Man is just so, so ridiculously annoying and broken.

I guess Flying Man gave you some tips on how to fly? ;P

Peléo;130176755 said:

The obvious ones are Battlefield, FInal Destination and Yoshi Island. Among the rest, the ones which seems most suitable are Arena Ferox, Tamodachi Life, Prism Tower, Tortimer Island, F-Zero and Magicant. Still, it all comes out about how do their hazards/plataform disposition harm the gameplay.

I don't know if the community is looking to go forward with Neutral/Counterpick rules again or the more simple Legal/Illegal. Here would be my guess on the former:

Neutral
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Final Destination
Arena Ferox
Prism Tower

Counterpick
Jungle Japes
Brinstar
Corneria
Mute City
Reset Bomb Factory
Tortimer Island

Azure J

Sometime I wish stream have closed caption feature. XD

What is Shield Dance?

Essentially flicking dash then shielding after a set number of frames (there's a small delay before you can put the shield up after a dash and it's character dependent) then doing the same thing in the opposite direction. It's like ghetto dash dancing except you get the benefit of shield followups (grabbing someone who attacks the shield; various tilts thanks to how fast recovery from releasing shield is).

Greninja's is smooth as butter and makes him look like a Melee character.

Goodstyle

https://www.youtube.com/user/TubeChau/videos

This youtube channel has all the custom moves for Duck Hunt Dog, Sheik, Zelda, and Shulk. There's no sound and the quality is poor, but there are text descriptions for each of them.

Also thankfully, all of them but Zelda's weren't already covered by JoeInky
so that can leave him more time to do Wario's

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Essentially running then shielding after you're out of the frame delay on running in one direction then doing the same thing in the opposite direction. It's like ghetto dash dancing except you get the benefit of shield followups (grabbing someone who attacks the shield; various tilts thanks to how fast recovery from releasing shield is).

Greninja's is smooth as butter and makes him look like a Melee character.

Whoa, thanks.

Cse

Banned
Peléo;130176755 said:

The obvious ones are Battlefield, FInal Destination and Yoshi Island. Among the rest, the ones which seems most suitable are Arena Ferox, Tamodachi Life, Prism Tower, Tortimer Island, F-Zero and Magicant. Still, it all comes out about how do their hazards/plataform disposition harm the gameplay.

Magicant? Seriously?

Players have the opportunity to recruit Flying Man and essentially turn the match into a 2v1 scenario.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
https://www.youtube.com/user/TubeChau/videos

This youtube channel has all the custom moves for Duck Hunt Dog, Sheik, Zelda, and Shulk. There's no sound and the quality is poor, but there are text descriptions for each of them.

Also thankfully, all of them but Zelda's weren't already covered by JoeInky
so that can leave him more time to do Wario's

To be honest, I don't mind to see JoeInky take on all characters since I would understand his explanations better than watching the stream or YouTube.

Cse

Banned

So much this.

It's an otherwise beautiful stage, but Flying Man just makes it downright abysmal. It basically becomes a 2v1 match. You might as well turn on team battles and have one player select a level 7 CPU.

I usually have no problem with stage hazards, but Flying Man (and the Yellow Devil) are just ridiculous.

Hatchtag

Banned
So I spent an hour trying to get the WFT's last custom move without ever getting it. Either I have terrible luck, or its locked behind a challenge (one of hers already was). So yeah. Really loved doing that, totally didn't kill my vibe or nothing. Also having really bad luck with Shulk's customs.
Anyways, post on WFT coming up shortly. Just gonna skip the 8th one because holy hell did that piss me off.

ffdgh

All you Flying Man haters need to realize that life is but a moment.

Negative_Man.png

Couldn't resist

I just realized that the absence of the Cracker Launcher means we no longer have the best facial animation in Smash history.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about: turn on Brawl, zip to Training mode, pick Dedede, spawn the Cracker Launcher, make him pick it up and set it all the way down, zoom the camera in, and slowly rise the Launcher up.

It's beautiful.

Dr. Buni

Smash 4's soundtrack is the GOAT. Like Melee's, most tracks are beautifully arranged <3 Much better than Brawl's, if you ask me.
I sincerely hope Greninja becomes a tenured Pokemon in Smash. This dude... <3 <3 <3
But what if Greninja is a chick. It doesn't even have a deep manly voice like Lizardon and Rukario.

KarmaCow

I've been playing the demo way too much, despite the 2min matches and limited characters. It's actually made the 2.5 week wait worse.

ffdgh

Smash 4's soundtrack is the GOAT. Like Melee's, most tracks are beautifully arranged <3 Much better than Brawl's, if you ask me.

But what if Greninja is a chick. It doesn't even have a deep manly voice like Lizardon and Rukario.

Hmm...87.5 chance of being a dude with a 12.5% margin of error? :p

Brawl, from both a competitive and general viewpoint, had a lot of problems with it.
Its music was not one of its problems. Its music was fucking FANTASTIC.

Cody_D165

Banned
I've been playing the demo way too much, despite the 2min matches and limited characters. It's actually made the 2.5 week wait worse.

I've accrued nearly 10K coins playing only Mario lmao

I'm addicted to comboing scrub CPUs across Omega Battlefield... Mario is so fun in this game. His spike is great.

I've accrued nearly 10K coins playing only Mario lmao

I'm addicted to comboing scrub CPUs across Omega Battlefield... Mario is so fun in this game. His spike is great.
Yeah, he's got to have my favorite spike in the game. Something about the animation of it is so satisfying.

I was noticing something in D1's stream. Greninja I think has at least two attacks with Shadow Sneak. A general attack and I think one if close behind. It at least did more knockback

Brawls tracks arent beautifully arranged? Must not played or listen to brawl's music at all. Saying something like much better is ludicrous. Some of the music you are listening to in 4 is from brawl.

FSLink

Banned
Anybody know if the Japan demo can play versus against the US demo? I'd test it myself but I had notifications off for e-mails so I'm not getting a US code. :(

I sincerely hope Greninja becomes a tenured Pokemon in Smash. This dude... <3 <3 <3
Yes. Greninja needs to stay in the roster permanently.
The unavailable characters and stages are such a tease. I just want to play as Greninja and the wait is more painful thanks to this demo.

Peléo

I don't know if the community is looking to go forward with Neutral/Counterpick rules again or the more simple Legal/Illegal. Here would be my guess on the former:

Neutral
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Final Destination
Arena Ferox
Prism Tower

Counterpick
Jungle Japes
Brinstar
Corneria
Mute City
Reset Bomb Factory
Tortimer Island

I don´t think Reset Bomb is a viable one. The plataform disposition on the second transition is horrible. Jungle Japes would be a great stage if they just removed the water. I wish it was viable. I think you made the right approach, to create a larger stage list and narrow to a thiner one from that, instead of the opposite.

Magicant? Seriously?

Players have the opportunity to recruit Flying Man and essentially turn the match into a 2v1 scenario.

Didn´t know the Flying Man was this disruptive. A simply Hazard-off option would suffice, unfortunately Sakurai is afraid this would turn Smash into PSABR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom