• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superdata: Nintendo Switch has sold 1.5m worldwide tracked

Hard to read anything into this. It seems more like a prediction from a semi reliable source. It's hard to know how accurate it is.

If true that would be a great start for the switch.

jonno394

so if they've sold 1.5m already and if the 2m number is still what we're expecting it doesn't bode well for stock around the world between now and the end of March. that leaves 500k consoles to go around all major markets for the next 3 weeks.

Thing is going to be in short supply for some time and several stockists in UK don't even expect a resupply until April.

bombshell

Yeah appears that Nintendo undershipped. Though I also have a hard time understanding how 500k+360k+<360k = 1500k. That's almost a 300k margin.

I wonder how accurate these numbers are.

spekkeh
Asians are people too
(So are Finns)
(Today, 09:37 AM)

:p

(there's also other territories than just Asia not included there)

jonno394

Yeah appears that Nintendo undershipped. Though I also have a hard time understanding how 500k+360k+<360k = 1500k. That's almost a 300k margin.

I wonder how accurate these numbers are.

That ~1200k only covers Japan, USA and Europe. It doesn't cover every other market (so south America, asia, Australia/NZ etc)

18-Volt

110k x2 = 220k. If you equate the populations, French sales actually isn't that far behind Japanese Switch sales. Nintendo should really consider making France the second most important market after Japan. Like how? Like, founding or acquiring French studios to make games that caters French tastes. Japan gets lots of exclusive titles from Nintendo, why can't France?

110k x2 = 220k. If you equate the populations, French sales actually isn't that far behind Japanese Switch sales. Nintendo should really consider making France the second most important market after Japan. Like how? Like, founding or acquiring French studios to make games that caters French tastes. Japan gets lots of exclusive titles from Nintendo, why can't France?
This so much, living in France the hype for everything Nintendo was insane, the gamer group in school always brouhgt their 3DS (The newest version at the time) to class and everything.
In general, they should have European studios for the western market, and maybe as a bridge for western games in Japan.

ramparter

Banned
What happened to the extra million they were going to be able to produce if the 2 million sold quickly? Or is that for april?
Probably being prepared for shipping or actually being shipping as we speak.

I'm glad to hear Nintendo is doing well in France. Here's hope other European markets will follow.

Good, solid numbers there!

I'm going to assume the Zelda attach rate is closer to 100%, since this would be tracking physical sales, while Nintendo are significantly behind the curve on the industry average digital sales ratio, so selling 10% digitally would actually be pretty bang on for a sought after title of their's.

I'm not expecting this to cause a significant surge in production though. Demand is high right now, but they'd be better off drip feeding in line with their sales goals, than over egging the pudding and risk ending up with units sitting on shelves should demand start to die down. The last thing they want is any kind of comparisons to the WiiU, and with so few tent pole releases coming in the next few months, it'd be a smart move to stay cautious on long term demand until it's proven to definitely be there.

Eolz

They already recognize France as an important country in their financial briefings, NERD is french, and there's nothing about "french games for the french" needed, just a better treatment.
FR loves japanese games, unlike the UK for example, no issue there.

deleted

That's pretty solid. It will be interesting what they'll sell for the rest of March with stocks remaining low though.

I really want them to release a Kid Icarus Uprising HD port for Switch. Exposure especially early on with a small library can do wonders for that franchise, especially since the game in itself is amazing.

Great sales for a system that launched with very little 'hype' games.

That being said, two of my friends grabbed a console and we all managed to get everyone playing 1-2-Switch and RMX on Friday night. The group wasn't really full of 'gamers' per se but we've - ever since about 18 - played Mario Kart and Nintendo party games. 1-2-Switch was actually a shitload of fun, everyone was laughing and for such a simple series of games it was great for a room full of people.

Then again, system itself is gorgeous and a great little piece of kit even if people are having some issues with scratching and the like.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This doesn't appear to be the whole picture they said it sold 85k in the uk we know that was the number for the first weekend and so unless the switch sold absolutely zero units last week that number is out of date.

Shiggy

This doesn't appear to be the whole picture they said it sold 85k in the uk we know that was the number for the first weekend and so unless the switch sold absolutely zero units last week that number is out of date.

While I also question the accuracy of those numbers, you also need to bear in mind that the new shipments last week weren't particularly large.

Haunted

I've never heard of a game with an attach rate of 89%, even for a launch title that's just an absurd number.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Good on Ninty, but they better not create fucking droughts of biblical fortune on game releases

They have to keep the system well fed

WiiU should be a huge lesson to them on not repeating that same ol' bullshit

Great on Zelda attach rate but concerning that it's Switch + Zelda and no other software making headways onto the system

The number really doesn't say much without knowing the initial shipment numbers. Since it seemed like Nintendo sold out basically everywhere, we really have to wait for a second shipment to evaluate those numbers.

Have there been second shipments anywhere yet?

Oresama

So there are 500,000 Switches yet to be sold eh....

a-chance.gif

Chinbo37

Yeah but only like 3 physical games. It's embarrassing looking at the Switch section in video game shops.

Lol at my local shop there are no switches, no controllers, just a small section next to the Wii U games (with no heading no nothing) of 1-2 Switch and Just Dance 2017.

foxbeldin

BYnJD3I.gif

Don't read too much into it.

Frenchs love the japanese culture, that's why Nintendo is strong here. They go to Nintendo for japanese games and acquiring French studios would be counter productive.

How many wiiu's the first week?

Found this IGN article . Apparently WiiU sold 890,000 pieces in North America in the first 6 weeks and 636,000 for the first month in Japan.

According to this (and other sources) the number was 400,000 for the first week in NA. So Nintendo already beat those numbers.

Crazy btw. that the second source (asrtechnica) mentioned that Nintendo had planned to sell through 5.5 million WiiU systems by the end of March 2013. They were really delirious back then... let's hope they learned their lesson ;)

Perfect launch for Nintendo really - they will hit their numbers easily, it just depends on stock. With Mario Kart in April and Mario in the Fall, providing they can produce a few other titles to keep people happy, things are looking up for them.

It is ridiculous when you think how much was riding on Zelda. If it had pulled off 6/10 reviews, the console would have been dead.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It depends on your where exactly you live as not all countries will get another shipment this month.

The new shipment that Germany's biggest electronics chain got last week was pretty laughable.
The fact a new shipment at all happened combined with extra from the previous shipment aids my arguement not weakens if.

Top Bottom