• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superdata: Nintendo Switch has sold 1.5m worldwide tracked

Craft

So 11% bought it for 1 2 Switch/Bomberman ?

You'd be surprised, I was checking out the 'recently played with' friends option after playing Bomberman online the other day and I'd say about 40-50% of the profiles I looked at didn't have Zelda as one of their played games.

You and I have very different friends, because most of mine just play Zelda all day (and night).

:D Yes all my friends are playing Zelda too. I was talking about viewing the profiles of people you'd played with online.

Aiii

So not worth it
You'd be surprised, I was checking out the 'recently played with' friends option after playing Bomberman online the other day and I'd say about 40-50% of the profiles I looked at didn't have Zelda as one of their played games.

You and I have very different friends, because most of mine just play Zelda all day (and night).

dmcAxle

Neo Member
I really hope this system is successful enough to get the 3rd party support. It would be amazing to actually have Overwatch on the Switch instead of just developers teasing a possibility. Or if those Nintendo Switch Rocket League images actually came true.

I wouldn't mind necessary downgrades from PS4/XOne releases either, as just having the games portable is much more important to me.

jdstorm

Banned
They probably keep production around one million per month and stockpile during the slow months for the holidays.

What slow months? Lets assume Mario comes out November. Between now and then there are 6 months. 2 of those months are confirmed to have Mario Kart and Splatoon (each could move 1M Console Units) Then Smash 4 and Pokemon Stars* will likely also release in that time frame (each could also move 1M a Month)

September/October is going to bring Fifa/NBA2K which will move systems if the console still has momentum. (Pretty likely)

So theoretically Nintendo will have maybe 500k stock in reserve and producing 1M a month going into the holidays with a new Mario game, a Zelda GOTY edition, 1 unanounced game (Retro?) And bundles featuring MK8D and Splatoon to push online subscriptions.

Im not sure they need to ramp up production much, but the Switch could be sold out all year on the current production schedule if demand holds

*placeholder for whatever Pokemon Sun/Moon's 3rd game is called

Zedark

Switch have sold only 30K this past week?
Note that the article also says most numbers given are still from first week numbers, so you can't really draw conclusions from that (in the same way, the UK and France numbers are 5k higher than what we know, so it does feel a bit strange).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Pretty impressive for a March launch.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
awesome, really glad Nintendo came out the gate with a solid start

hopefully this momentum keeps up through the year and heading into Christmas 2017

scoobs

Pretty good launch I'd say. Now they have to answer the question: can they sustain this success through releasing enough quality software year-round? I'm not so sure, everyone was going to buy Zelda, we knew that. Lets see how it does during the dry months.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I really hope this system is successful enough to get the 3rd party support. It would be amazing to actually have Overwatch on the Switch instead of just developers teasing a possibility. Or if those Nintendo Switch Rocket League images actually came true.

I wouldn't mind necessary downgrades from PS4/XOne releases either, as just having the games portable is much more important to me.
While it sure would be nice to see a Nintendo console succeed, the hardware difference between the Switch and current generation consoles is too big. It killed support for the Wii U, and it'll do the same here. The RAM difference alone kills hope for most current gen titles. We're not talking "drop rendering res, loose AA, maybe lower res textures, success!". Games would need their assets - models, animations, LODs, levels, etc. - re-built from the ground up entirely for the Switch versions. That's a lot of extra copies on Switch needed to make the re-development costs worthwhile, and 3rd parties typically perform poorly on Nintendo consoles. No one is going to build two entirely different versions of their game just to get a Switch sale. Low-to-mid budget titles, sure, and you'll get a few token 360 ports to test the water. But AAA is basically ruled out, and that's going to hurt long term sales. Nintendo have a good start, but I think these sales are front loaded. The Nintendo faithful are buying in for Zelda, and then it's basically wait until Christmas for Mario, and I suspect we'll see a price drop before then.

nynt9

While it sure would be nice to see a Nintendo console succeed, the hardware difference between the Switch and current generation consoles is too big. It killed support for the Wii U, and it'll do the same here. The RAM difference alone kills hope for most current gen titles. We're not talking "drop rendering res, loose AA, maybe lower res textures, success!". Games would need their assets - models, animations, LODs, levels, etc. - re-built from the ground up entirely for the Switch versions. That's a lot of extra copies on Switch needed to make the re-development costs worthwhile. Low-to-mid budget titles, sure, and you'll get a few token 360 ports to test the water. But AAA is basically ruled out, and that's going to hurt long term sales. Nintendo have a good start, but I think these sales are front loaded. The Nintendo faithful are buying in for Zelda, and then it's basically wait until Christmas for Mario.

Yeah, for some reason many people on this forum seem to think that current gen ports onto the switch are no big deal, but I think they will be sorely disappointed if they expect it to happen with most games. I'm sure we will get one here and there, but the more demanding titles won't make it.

Zedark

While it sure would be nice to see a Nintendo console succeed, the hardware difference between the Switch and current generation consoles is too big. It killed support for the Wii U, and it'll do the same here. The RAM difference alone kills hope for most current gen titles. We're not talking "drop rendering res, loose AA, maybe lower res textures, success!". Games would need their assets - models, animations, LODs, levels, etc. - re-built from the ground up entirely for the Switch versions. That's a lot of extra copies on Switch needed to make the re-development costs worthwhile, and 3rd parties typically perform poorly on Nintendo consoles. No one is going to build two entirely different versions of their game just to get a Switch sale. Low-to-mid budget titles, sure, and you'll get a few token 360 ports to test the water. But AAA is basically ruled out, and that's going to hurt long term sales. Nintendo have a good start, but I think these sales are front loaded. The Nintendo faithful are buying in for Zelda, and then it's basically wait until Christmas for Mario, and I suspect we'll see a price drop before then.
Wii U ports were dead before 360 and ps3 ports were, so I don't believe that power is why the Wii U lost support.

Yeah, for some reason many people on this forum seem to think that current gen ports onto the switch are no big deal, but I think they will be sorely disappointed if they expect it to happen with most games. I'm sure we will get one here and there, but the more demanding titles won't make it.

Most people have understood that... Don't know who you are talking about...

120v

No one is going to build two entirely different versions of their game just to get a Switch sale. Low-to-mid budget titles, sure, and you'll get a few token 360 ports to test the water. But AAA is basically ruled out, and that's going to hurt long term sales. Nintendo have a good start, but I think these sales are front loaded. The Nintendo faithful are buying in for Zelda, and then it's basically wait until Christmas for Mario, and I suspect we'll see a price drop before then.

since this thing doesn't look like a wii u-level bomb i think you'll see a repeat of wii era 3rd party support, exclusives developed from the ground up but minus the shovelware aspect, since there's no particular quick cash in gimmick. probably not enough to warrant "solid 3rd party support" but the system's strong launch is probably bending a few publishers' ears

AerialAir

Banned
Pretty good launch I'd say. Now they have to answer the question: can they sustain this success through releasing enough quality software year-round? I'm not so sure, everyone was going to buy Zelda, we knew that. Lets see how it does during the dry months.

I really really hope the switch succeeds and sells past the expected numbers. I don't even plan on buying one (yet) but we need a healthy Nintendo in the market to stop others from having a monopoly on the consoles business.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So how good of a start is this in the grand scheme? It seems hard to judge.

Fdkn

It's probably around there just based on current known numbers and the 2m figure planned for March (it may even be bigger because the US sales are yet unknown), but trusting superdata is like trusting chartzzzzz lol

kyser73

Good numbers, but in both surprised that the whole 2mn weren't available for sale Day 1, and kind of 'Well yeah, it should be able to sell 1.5mn units globally at launch.' The hardcore fan base is big enough to deliver good launch sales - indeed, that should be enough to get it to WiiU numbers at least.

Tonyx

Having Zelda at the launch was a great move. Good job Nintendo!

However launch numbers are usually not too meaningful. Next months will be very important to the success of the Switch. Nintendo doesn't have to drop the ball now.

Kthulhu

It's possible that Nintendo could get by without them. The 3DS isn't long for this world, and the Vita has been dead for awhile, so Nintendo could leverage their monopoly on portable systems to court a lot of titles that could be big sellers.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
think these sales are front loaded. The Nintendo faithful are buying in for Zelda, and then it's basically wait until Christmas for Mario, and I suspect we'll see a price drop before then.

Except for Mario Kart which is bigger than Zelda & 3D Mario in America and Splatoon, which is bigger than both in Japan.

Top Bottom