• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superdata: Nintendo Switch has sold 1.5m worldwide tracked

HotHamBoy

I remember when SFV shipped 1.3 million at launch that February and only another 100k by November.

Obviously a totally different situation, I just use that as an example that launch numbers don't indicate legs. The line-up for Switch is pretty weak until the Holiday.

You always have to wonder if most of the people who want a console already bought it.

Good stuff

Love my Super Vita

Its not perfect but hopefully Nintendo spends the rest of the year ironing out the kinks

System is legit great for the most part and Im in gaming heaven once again

Vita was still the first and will always be remembered (i still fire it up all the time)

RRockman

Banned
Except for Mario Kart which is bigger than Zelda & 3D Mario in America and Splatoon, which is bigger than both in Japan.

Do you know why people ignore the launch year lineup? I've always see people mention well it's nothing till Mario and forget Splatoon, Mario kart, and ARMS as if they mean nothing to anyone else because they don't like it personally. It's really annoying.

HotHamBoy

Good stuff

Love my Super Vita

Its not perfect but hopefully Nintendo spends the rest of the year ironing out the kinks

System is legit great for the most part and Im in gaming heaven once again

Vita was still the first and will always be remembered (i still fire it up all the time)

First what?

Do you know why people ignore the launch year lineup? I've always see people mention well it's nothing till Mario and forget Splatoon, Mario kart, and ARMS as if they mean nothing to anyone else because they don't like it personally. It's really annoying.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is an enhanced port of an old game. ARMs is an unproven new IP. Splatoon 2 might be something, I honestly don't know how mainstream that is in the West.

120v

So how good of a start is this in the grand scheme? It seems hard to judge.

on paper, numbers based, its nothing incredible (not that enough were shipped to tell either way) but factoring in it launched non-holiday with $300 entry, when hardware is somewhat down over last year, when nintendo hardware branding has taken a hit and (if you want to "go there") the 'handheld' market is in decline... it's pretty solid. momentum would have to fall off a cliff for it to be lackluster launch in retrospect

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

grown men taking part in console wars?

i purposefully left off ARMS because no one knows how it'll land, but i don't get disregarding sales of Mario Kart in America and Splatoon in Japan.

both are proven to be big hits.

NSESN

First what?

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is an enhanced port of an old game. ARMs is an unproven new IP. Splatoon 2 might be something, I honestly don't know how mainstream that is in the West.

Splatoon 2 outsold Skyward Sword in the west iirc. And every Metroid.

EDIT: I will leave the 2 here as proof of my sins

FelipeMGM

Superdata huh, I'd rather wait for an official Nintendo report in a few weeks when the fiscal year is over

Im sure it will be really close to total shipment numbers anyway

orioto

Good Art™
110k x2 = 220k. If you equate the populations, French sales actually isn't that far behind Japanese Switch sales. Nintendo should really consider making France the second most important market after Japan. Like how? Like, founding or acquiring French studios to make games that caters French tastes. Japan gets lots of exclusive titles from Nintendo, why can't France?

Nintendo is precisly popular here cause japanese games cates to french tastes. This is basically weabooland (i'm not saying that as a bad thing). That audience don't give a shit about french games lol.

oti

Banned
I remember when SFV shipped 1.3 million at launch that February and only another 100k by November.

Obviously a totally different situation, I just use that as an example that launch numbers don't indicate legs. The line-up for Switch is pretty weak until the Holiday.

You always have to wonder if most of the people who want a console already bought it.

The fact that the sun shines today, doesn't indicate a warm summer.

Thanks for the info.

LordKano

Nintendo is precisly popular here cause japanese games cates to french tastes. This is basically weabooland (i'm not saying that as a bad thing). That audience don't give a shit about french games lol.

Yep, Dishonored 2 bombed there, for example.

A WiiU level disaster seems super unlikely now, and a I'd say a N64 level success is sounding like a good bet with the info we have now.

Markoman

A WiiU level disaster seems super unlikely now, and a I'd say a N64 level success is sounding like a good bet with the info we have now.

Uh, that would be a colossal failure imo. Please keep in mind, that Nintendo still sold 75m consoles (3DS + WiiU) combined in roughly 5 years. N64 did 35m (?).

spekkeh

Banned

I'd say that's also still the reason for the relatively close ties between Nintendo and Ubisoft, as the only real third party AAA commitment. Though a lot more Ubisoft Montpellier than Ubisoft Montreal.

JoeM86

grown men taking part in console wars?

i purposefully left off ARMS because no one knows how it'll land, but i don't get disregarding sales of Mario Kart in America and Splatoon in Japan.

both are proven to be big hits.

But would you have put a big new Sony IP if you were listing a Sony launch year if this was discussion for Sony?

If we're discussing the line-up for launch, we shouldn't ignore things just because it doesn't fit the narrative

//DEVIL//

How would you know? Around the wii u release we heard about many awsome games like wonderful 101 and bayonetta 2. That system had a brand new mario and mario kart and still failed to kick off.

All we know is that it didnt sell out their initial shipment of 2 million ( unless that number wasnt true ) . For a system not to be sold out during release week is kinda a bad sign.

Dont get me wrong i am in love with my switch. But nintendo need to have direct asap and good exclusive games other wise people will start to lose hope of the system since it lack games

jon bones

But would you have put a big new Sony IP if you were listing a Sony launch year if this was discussion for Sony?

If we're discussing the line-up for launch, we shouldn't ignore things just because it doesn't fit the narrative

what?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Uh, that would be a colossal failure imo. Please keep in mind, that Nintendo still sold 75m consoles (3DS + WiiU) combined in roughly 5 years. N64 did 35m (?).

Yea. It needs to do more than Wii U and some where about 2/3 of 3DS to IMO be a success.

ethomaz

Banned
While it is a pretty good estimate and probably true or close to it... it is a bit hard to believe in Superdata :D

jon bones

I'm talking about the disregarding of Arms because it's "untested". It strikes me that people wouldn't do that if Sony or Microsoft were doing a new IP.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it

you are - i'm not talking about dumb console war bullshit

all i'm saying is that MK8 & Splatoon are proven huge sellers in America and Japan respectively. considering this, it is silly to say there are no 'big 1st party releases' for Switch between Zelda and Mario.

i'm also saying i don't feel comfortable making sales predictions for ARMS

Tobor

I ignore Mario Kart and Splatoon because I'm not convinced they will move hardware in large numbers. They will sell well to existing Switch owners, of course. ARMS looks completely unappealing to me. I don't see how that moves systems.

So for big "move a lot of systems" games, it looks like Zelda and then Mario in the fall. I'd love to be wrong, but I think the next few months will be rough for hardware sales.

Kthulhu

I'm talking about the disregarding of Arms because it's "untested". It strikes me that people wouldn't do that if Sony or Microsoft were doing a new IP.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it

I think you're reading a little too much into it.

For example, I have no idea what people will think of Days Gone. A lot of people were worried about Scalebound before it got cancelled.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I ignore Mario Kart and Splatoon because I'm not convinced they will move hardware in large numbers. They will sell well to existing Switch owners, of course. ARMS looks completely unappealing to me. I don't see how that moves systems.

So for big "move a lot of systems" games, it looks like Zelda and then Mario in the fall. I'd love to be wrong, but I think the next few months will be rough for hardware sales.

I wouldn't suggest writing off ARMS now. Don't be one of the guys who thought Splatoon is going to do Wonderful 101 numbers back then.

stuminus3

That's a great start for the system! Now, watch as Nintendo wipe out all life on Earth due to the crater from the ball they're likely about to drop.

jon bones

I wouldn't suggest writing off ARMS now. Don't be one of the guys who thought Splatoon is going to do Wonderful 101 numbers back then.

I think writing off Splatoon 2 is way sillier - the game will absolutely move units in Japan.

Kebiinu

Banned
How would you know? Around the wii u release we heard about many awsome games like wonderful 101 and bayonetta 2. That system had a brand new mario and mario kart and still failed to kick off.

All we know is that it didnt sell out their initial shipment of 2 million ( unless that number wasnt true ) . For a system not to be sold out during release week is kinda a bad sign.

Dont get me wrong i am in love with my switch. But nintendo need to have direct asap and good exclusive games other wise people will start to lose hope of the system since it lack games

What are you talking about? This isn't even similar to the Wii U situation at all. For one, people actually know about to Switch. Nintendo is actually advertising the thing; and its a much more appealing device. And they did sell out of their alloted shipment, the reason the number isnt 2mil, is because they didn't even ship 2 million consoles total.

The Wonderful 101 had a terrible unveiling, btw. That game was never going to sell. Mario Kart managed to sell great, despite the small ass user base, as well as, Splatoon. Both of which is releasing this year for the Switch. Lol, you can't even compare the two launches at this point, since it's evident the Switch will not fall into the same traps that got the Wii U.

The only 'bad sign' is if they'll be able to match demand, not concern if they're gonna sell through 2mil. Lmao.

Tobor

I'm not writing it off as I'm sure existing Switch owners will buy it in big numbers, but a system seller? I don't see that at all.

I think writing off Splatoon 2 is way sillier - the game will absolutely move units in Japan.

That's fair. Im thinking western sales as I'm in the US. So amend my previous posts to US sales. I have no idea what Japan wil do.

I kinda don't think anything would of made the Wii U sell, it really was just an unappealing device from top to bottom, and I say that as someone who enjoyed my time with the system.

The Switch's portability makes up for its shortcomings in terms of power a lot more than the clunky/bulky Gamepad ever did for the Wii U, I'd argue.

Pretty good. Good job Nintendo. :) Really hope this console can hit 50-80m or somewhere around there, can't have another shit console like the Wii U. Was a bit worried before the Switch that they make another failure and opt out of the hardware console business. Will try to get one next year. Biggest issue is lack of time to play games nowadays for myself and the PS4 already has too many games that I can't play (I want to buy Nioh and Nier, but no time.. still need to finish FFXV & Horizon smh)

Also props to Zelda, the reviews make me thirsty for it. I wish I could play it. Should hit 5m+ making it one of the best selling in the series.

Supernatural-Dean.gif

cyba89

Splatoon will likely be a big system seller in Japan and Mario Kart could be big too because it was only on an (for most people) unappealing console before (plus the handheld crowd never played it too).

jon bones

That's fair. Im thinking western sales as I'm in the US. So amend my previous posts to US sales. I have no idea what Japan wil do.

Yeah, that's a fair point then - I'm really not sure how the US will react to Splatoon 2.

Kthulhu

That's a great start for the system! Now, watch as Nintendo wipe out all life on Earth due to the crater from the ball they're likely about to drop.

I'm curious to see what they'll show off at E3. I'd be surprised if they kept anything under wraps, as they need to show they have a strong library.

Multiplayer arena shooters are a whole different kettle of fish to fighting games.

I'm not expecting a failure, but it's probably safer to assume sales more in line with Pokken than Splatoon. (Which would still be great!)

It's not hard data but the general feel and buzz around the launch is much more positive than with the Wii U, which launched into a cloud of indifference and public ignorance and confusion and without any killer apps except NSMBU, which always sells well but doesn't really sell systems (in my view anyway). There were a bunch of ports of major third party games which failed to improve on or even match other versions on last gen hardware which gave the whole thing a 'meh' sort of feel. Then Mario 3D World came out, which was a fantastic game but which managed to pitch itself in the public consciousness as a 3DS conversion as opposed to the next mainline successor to Mario Galaxy. The console itself lacked the "cool" factor, even at the time, that the Switch has now with the strange and unproven gamepad concept, which never really managed to convince the market.

The Switch 'buzz' is a lot better. People like the concept and the launch comes off the back of all the hype from the NES classic, which looks like a marketing masterstroke, stock issues notwithstanding. It also has the supreme advantage of launching with a game that the media has decided is an unmissable, all-time classic and which is probably selling huge amounts of units all by itself. The third party offerings are much weaker/ non-existent but I think that is actually a positive. Instead of pretending that this machine is an alternative to the Xbox or PS4 for mainstream games, and falling short of that promise, the Switch makes a clear case for being different and complementary and it can hopefully live up to that.

The issue, moving forward, is how to keep that buzz going. Zelda will stick around and Mario Kart and Mario will move things forward but Nintendo are going to struggle to support this by themselves. Indie games help but they are too niche to attract millions of purchasers and third party conversions - whilst they have the option of mobile play (although then there is the issue with online) - will probably show the Switch in a poor light. Ideally, third parties will make dedicated Switch titles but I'm not sure how likely that is outside of shovel ware.

It's a good, positive start and I think Wii U style failure can be safely disregarded but if this is to be an outright success its going to depend on whether or not Nintendo can attack the right sort of third party games. A good start makes this more likely but by no means a sure thing.

Top Bottom