• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superdata: Nintendo Switch has sold 1.5m worldwide tracked

All I want is for this to be a sufficient enough success to get an optimal level of software for the system and for Nintendo to continue to developing hardware in the future and this is a great the sign. The switch has been an excellent purchase thus far for me.

Waji

I don't want to troll or anything but from my point of view, if FF XV can sell "5 millions", this Zelda should do more than 10.
But I guess sales are rarely fair when it comes to what I feel deserve more or less.

Hope Nintendo continues to bring amazing titles like this.

HotHamBoy

I don't want to troll or anything but from my point of view, if FF XV can sell "5 millions", this Zelda should do more than 10.
But I guess sales are rarely fair when it comes to what I feel deserve more or less.

FFXV released on two consoles with a combined install base of 70 million...

How do you expect Zelda to sell 10 million copies on a system that isn't out?

HotHamBoy

Enhnanced ports of old games selling well in new systems isn't exactly uncommon.

Enhanced ports sell well to an existing install base, sure

Enhanced ports don't motivate console sales. That's my point about MK8. I have no doubt the attache rate for MK8D will be solid, options are very limited.

Bruno MB

Using data supplied to it by both Famitsu and GfK, SuperData says that 500,000 consoles were sold in the US, 360,000 were sold in Japan.

Tomorrow we will know if these Superdata estimates are legit data or just a mere guesstimation using the public data there is available.

According to Famitsu Nintendo Switch sold 330,637 units in Japan, this means that it only sold 30,000 units in its second week.

Emitan

How can you sell 10 million copies when there are 2 million systems?

As a person who hasn't owned a Nintendo console since the N64, I'm super interested in the Switch. Once they announce that all previous Zelda and Mario games are played on it, I'll probably jump in to catch up to those alone.

honestly after the PS4 launch the number seems kinda ok.

Ps4 did a million in a day in just North America.

Psssh, come on now.

The ps4 didn't have a an albatross sized dead weight around its neck in the form of the Wii u when it's was released. Which forced a company to completely ditch it's previously successful branding.

Despite the incredibly rocky start the ps3 was a bonafide success by the time the ps4 released and gave the PS brand damn good momentum going into the ps4.

Deku Tree

Good news hopefully the sales are maintained each month. Wii U sales dropped like a rock into the gutter after the first holiday sales period and never recovered.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Psssh, come on now.

The ps4 didn't have a an albatross sized dead weight around its neck in the form of the Wii u when it's was released. Which forced a company to completely ditch it's previously successful branding.

Despite the incredibly rocky start the ps3 was a bonafide success by the time the ps4 released and gave the PS brand damn good momentum going into the ps4.

it also launched in November, but a brief look into the poster's post history indicates hilarious fanboyism

Good news hopefully the sales are maintained each month. Wii U sales dropped like a rock into the gutter after the first holiday sales period and never recovered.

I guess this is the reason for the 'soft launch' approach - two bites of the cherry and hopefully enough users to provide momentum without constant support from Nintendo itself.

That's a great start for the system! Now, watch as Nintendo wipe out all life on Earth due to the crater from the ball they're likely about to drop.
lol What can Nintendo do to drop some crater? Mario Kart, Mario and Zelda have been revealed already.

The only thing Nintendo can do at this point is drop some new IP that would gauge interest in the level of Mario, Smash, etc... or new Smash. They've pretty much unveiled most of the big hitters they release every single console.

Pokemon that looks fresh for a console to me is the only thing that can be that big.

maxcriden

Tomorrow we will know if these Superdata estimates are legit data or just a mere guesstimation using the public data there is available.

According to Famitsu Nintendo Switch sold 330,637 units in Japan, this means that it only sold 30,000 units in its second week.

I guess it depends how constrained supply is, is there any indication of remaining significant # of units in stores there or a second shipment?

lol What can Nintendo do to drop some crater? Mario Kart, Mario and Zelda have been revealed already.

The only thing Nintendo can do at this point is drop some new IP that would gauge interest in the level of Mario, Smash, etc... or new Smash. They've pretty much unveiled most of the big hitters they release every single console.

Pokemon that looks fresh for a console to me is the only thing that can be that big.
The rumored Pokémon Stars would be a huge success, though I don't think it would have that fresh for a console look to it.

FF XV sells 5 millions on a 100 million user base (PS4 + X1). Zelda has a 15 million user base (Switch + Wii U).

Waji

How can you sell 10 million copies when there are 2 million systems?

How do you expect Zelda to sell 10 million copies on a system that isn't out?

FFXV released on two consoles with a combined install base of 70 million...

FF XV sells 5 millions on a 100 million user base (PS4 + X1). Zelda has a 15 million user base (Switch + Wii U).
I may have typed that a little fast but I never said I was "expecting it" to sell more.
The real problem of my post is more that I forgot the 1,4 million (or so) is not including the Wii U version. I'd like to see number for both.

I know the Switch's stock is not the best and I'm not sure if the Wii U version is easily available either but we're still far from that. Hope its legs are good to get the sales it deserves.

The install base doesn't mean that much in what I was talking about since lots of other better games than FFXV didn't sell as well as Zelda (even if they were on machines with bigger instal base too).
But I completely understand the fact and you're all right about it. Don't take my message too seriously, it's more of a feeling.

I should have added details to my message. I'm not "expecting" something impossible, just giving some half feeling (just saw the Wii U sales were not included).

Uh, that would be a colossal failure imo. Please keep in mind, that Nintendo still sold 75m consoles (3DS + WiiU) combined in roughly 5 years. N64 did 35m (?).

I think N64 is likely the baseline at this point, and that it could do better, but its too hard to say at this point. I'd consider it a success for Nintendo because there was a real danger that their hardware business became unsustainable if they screwed up again. I also think that a good portion of the 3DS audience has moved on from dedicated handhelds.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Christmas, possibly specifically the weekend before Thanksgiving/Black Friday as that is when Nintendo often likes to launch their big holiday game.

Sounds about right to me.

Closer to Xmas, I assume. "The Holidays"= Xmas holidays =/= summer vacation

Oh, THE Holidays
Which holidays are mid year? July 4 for Americans ... and?

Yeah I was thinking possibly Summer holidays.

Falchion

Now I want to know what percentage of those buyers also picked up Zelda? Probably at least 60% because you figure a bunch of those units were purchased by resellers who didn't buy games.

Psssh, come on now.

measuring every console success solely by Ps4 performance is something i will never get
that's like saying Huawei is doing bad, because IPhone is selling more

but guess what
Xbox One is and will be the most successful Microsoft console
and Switch will likely be the second most successful Nintendo console
and no i don't talk about units sold through numbers only here. that is just one metric and not even close to be the most important one anymore

maxcriden

Now I want to know what percentage of those buyers also picked up Zelda? Probably at least 60% because you figure a bunch of those units were purchased by resellers who didn't buy games.

Per the OP it's 89% but I don't believe digital is included in that.

it also launched in November, but a brief look into the poster's post history indicates hilarious fanboyism
Ah the classic "look into post history and accuse them of fanboyism" tactic to try and discredit another user.

I have no horse in this race. PS4 launching in November is a good point but no reason to discredit their argument. I can only provide anecdotal evidence but I can walk into any store and buy a Switch; they aren't in super high demand or maybe Nintendo worked out supply issues, I'm not sure. My roommate works at Best Buy and said sales have slowed since the initial launch frenzy but who knows if he's reliable or accurate. Nintendo seems to have had a good launch but that's not surprising considering enthusiasts and fanboys rush to buy any "big 3" console day one. I think this Fall will tell us a lot more about the Switch and it's trajectory..

Been playing Zelda on Wii U and like it. Would've gotten a Switch if there was more software but I don't mind waiting a year or so.

Markoman

I think N64 is likely the baseline at this point, and that it could do better, but its too hard to say at this point. I'd consider it a success for Nintendo because there was a real danger that their hardware business became unsustainable if they screwed up again. I also think that a good portion of the 3DS audience has moved on from dedicated handhelds.

Absolutely, I expect something between 50m and 60m in 5 years. An expected decline overall (see mobile market), but no drop to the bottom either.

Zedark

The article does say that most of the numbers mentioned are first week numbers, so we can't really do this verification, right?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I bought Zelda digital since all the special editions were sold out. I bet they didn't account for digital purchases. It's probably close to 1:1.

Superdata usually accounts for digital as well ib their estimates.
It's probably in the ballpark but I'd wait for more reliable sources.

N64 would be a success. You can't conflate the sales of two consoles and put that as a marker, that's asinine. Surpassing N64 would be more than reasonable for a company supposedly on its uppers. More than N64, Gamecube, Wii U, Dreamcast, Xbox, Saturn, Genesis, Master System, PC Engine, Vita, Game Gear, Atari 2600, maybe even Xbox 1 would be great. I think 50 million (i.e. SNES level) is the absolute upper limit here. This is not going to sell to non-gamers like the Wii did nor is it going to win over the FIFA/COD mainstream crowd so anything more than that is pie in the sky.

Deku Tree

BotW will outsell FFXV in the long run.

Depends on the sales of Switch.

FFXV has like 70m+ potential customers to sell to on x1 and PS4 I think. Not 100% sure of sales numbers for those consoles.

A lot more if it ever gets released on PC.

BotW has what like 15m Wii U owners and currently 1.5m switch owners. Depends if Switch keeps selling. Granted the attach rate for BotW will probably be huge.

Zedark

I may have typed that a little fast but I never said I was "expecting it" to sell more.
The real problem of my post is more that I forgot the 1,4 million (or so) is not including the Wii U version. I'd like to see number for both.

I know the Switch's stock is not the best and I'm not sure if the Wii U version is easily available either but we're still far from that. Hope its legs are good to get the sales it deserves.

The install base doesn't mean that much in what I was talking about since lots of other better games than FFXV didn't sell as well as Zelda (even if they were on machines with bigger instal base too).
But I completely understand the fact and you're all right about it. Don't take my message too seriously, it's more of a feeling.

I should have added details to my message. I'm not "expecting" something impossible, just giving some half feeling (just saw the Wii U sales were not included).
Install base matters up to a certain point. A system that flops like the Wii U necessarily limits the sales potential of its games, even if it is not a linear correlation. To the install base argument you can also add that a large part of the Switch audience is likely Wii U owners with a special interest in Zelda, meaning that the sales of Zelda will probably skew away from WiiU. If Switch takes off, and it starts to have several dozen million user base, we can take another look at BOTW and FFXV and see how they match up (though the comparison to me is quite arbitrary), especially since both games will have been able to show their legs as well.
Wait, so when they say Mario Odyssey is coming at the Holidays, is that like mid year or Christmas?
Holidays is standard video game terminology for the november/december period when people start (looking into) buying christmas presents and shopping is at a high. Mario will launch in that window.

Be interesting to see how it does in the holidays if the game lineup hasn't significantly improved. Maybe Mario can carry it again. Plus there's 4 other consoles to buy.

maxcriden

Be interesting to see how it does in the holidays if the game lineup hasn't significantly improved. Maybe Mario can carry it again. Plus there's 4 other consoles to buy.

Based on the announced games alone, since there will be Mario Kart and Splatoon, and others, the game lineup will definitely have significantly improved.

Baleoce

Good initial numbers, and considering it's March as well. I hope their momentum strategy works out for them. It'll be more interesting to see how / if those numbers keep up from now til Summer.

Zedark

Mario will be a big player, those games always sell well and have a large appeal. Nintendo's best bet imo is to listen to the rumours and release the pokémon third version and maybe a Smash game in the last quarter of the year, so that the system has 3-4 must-have games (Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Pokémon and possibly Smash), which I think is enough for most (at least core gamers) to start seriously considering it.

Edit: I think we can add Splatoon 2 to that list as well, so 4-5 must-haves.

Based on the announced games alone, since there will be Mario Kart and Splatoon, and others, the game lineup will definitely have significantly improved.

Yeah it will improve but the other consoles have huge libraries, plus they will be getting some big games this holiday which the Switch wont see.

I'm hoping at E3 Nintendo announce a couple of big hitters coming this year other than Mario. A Mario Kart remaster and Splatoon sequel aren't going to do much damage on their own.

Top Bottom