• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superdata: Nintendo Switch has sold 1.5m worldwide tracked

Kthulhu

I think what will make all the difference to Zelda sales and going forward for Switch sales is the e3 titles, plus also the directs that will continue coming.

Killer titles for me would be

Luigis mansion switch

Wave racer switch

pilotwings switch

Cruisin switch

along with new and exciting Ips !

Wait till more of the games like Arms etc and a new Animal crossing are released/announced and watch this beauty fly!!

Someone's​ living up to their username.

I feel like Nintendo needs to release at least one big system seller game per quarter to keep Switch alive. Four per year.

What do you understand for a big system seller? Because a big system seller to me that is basically a major Zelda, Mario or Pokemon game, perhaps Splatoon in Japan. Do you think four of those can come out every year?

Zedark

Not really. The only real "system seller" coming out this year is Mario Oydssey. And that will probably release mid November most likely.
That's nonsense. Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey are true system sellers. MK8 can be argued I think, but denying Zelda and Splatoon being system sellers is ridiculous.

PSFan

That's nonsense. Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey are true system sellers. MK8 can be argued I think, but denying Zelda and Splatoon being system sellers is ridiculous.

Zelda is already out so I wasn't talking about that. Splatoon 2 really remains to be seen actually. By the time it comes out, the people most likely to buy it will probably already have a Switch, so it may not move many additional systems beyond that.

Plus it's coming out in Summer. Mario is coming out at the biggest video game selling time of the year.

Compared to the other competitors, this is good for Nintendo seeing as they don't have that wide appeal like they used to. But on the other hand it's still kind of low especially to be the world wide number. I would expected that number in the US alone so it's kind of disappointing to see that wasn't the case. but at least half of them did sell in the US. So far, launch has been strong which is a good thing for them

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Zelda is already out so I wasn't talking about that. Splatoon 2 really remains to be seen actually. By the time it comes out, the people most likely to buy it will probably already have a Switch, so it may not move many additional systems beyond that.

Plus it's coming out in Summer. Mario is coming out at the biggest video game selling time of the year.

I can see the argument that Splatoon 2 is unproven as a system seller in the West. In Japan? Its going to be absolutely massive IMO.

Compared to the other competitors, this is good for Nintendo seeing as they don't have that wide appeal like they used to. But on the other hand it's still kind of low especially to be the world wide number. I would expected that number in the US alone so it's kind of disappointing to see that wasn't the case. but at least half of them did sell in the US. So far, launch has been strong which is a good thing for them

It selling that alone in Japan would have left very little stock elsewhere

maxcriden

Yeah it will improve but the other consoles have huge libraries, plus they will be getting some big games this holiday which the Switch wont see.

I'm hoping at E3 Nintendo announce a couple of big hitters coming this year other than Mario. A Mario Kart remaster and Splatoon sequel aren't going to do much damage on their own.

I think those will be pretty huge sellers personally, especially Splatoon, but I agree some additional heavy hitter announcements are crucial.

stuminus3

lol What can Nintendo do to drop some crater? Mario Kart, Mario and Zelda have been revealed already.

The only thing Nintendo can do at this point is drop some new IP that would gauge interest in the level of Mario, Smash, etc... or new Smash. They've pretty much unveiled most of the big hitters they release every single console.

Pokemon that looks fresh for a console to me is the only thing that can be that big.
Um...

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/drop_the_ball

hivycox

Nintendo should bundle MK8 Deluxe with a pair of Joy-Cons and see the sales skyrocket.

Mario Kart will still sell many many system even without them!

nath999

When is initial console launch not successful, shouldn't be that surprising that there are so many die hard Zelda fans. How will the console sell from here until the Holiday period is what really matters. The WiiU launch sold like 500K and died right after that.

dakun

how many WiiU's did Splatoon sell? Yes some people who enjoyed Splatoon on the WiiU might jump ship. But i doubt it's any kind of significant number.

Me personally, I'd put Splatoon in the "nice to have" category, but not a "must have"

schuelma

how many WiiU's did Splatoon sell? Yes some people who enjoyed Splatoon on the WiiU might jump ship. But i doubt it's any kind of significant number.

Me personally, I'd put Splatoon in the "nice to have" category, but not a "must have"

In Japan Splatoon singlehandidly propped up Wii U hardware sales (relatively speaking) and had a much bigger impact than Mario Kart or Smash.

In Japan, the impact of splatoon on hardware was significant.

Sterok

Splatoon 2 is going to beat Breath of the Wild in total worldwide sales. If not by the end of the year, definitely by 2019. Book it.

dakun

In Japan Splatoon singlehandidly propped up Wii U hardware sales (relatively speaking) and had a much bigger impact than Mario Kart or Smash.

interesting. I knew it sold quite well but i thought it was mostly existing WiiU owners that bought the game.(i mean it probably was but i thought the ratio was smaller)

Nintendo needs to go all out this E3 so they can keep selling Switch based on hype, because games wise they are in trouble until holiday.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I'm not writing it off as I'm sure existing Switch owners will buy it in big numbers, but a system seller? I don't see that at all.

That's fair. Im thinking western sales as I'm in the US. So amend my previous posts to US sales. I have no idea what Japan wil do.

ARMS isnt that far off from pre-launch Splatoon years ago. I believe Splatoon has help shifted many units.

jmizzal

Enhanced ports sell well to an existing install base, sure

Enhanced ports don't motivate console sales. That's my point about MK8. I have no doubt the attache rate for MK8D will be solid, options are very limited.

Switch already has a system seller in Zelda, why does it need a system seller coming out every few months? No console does that, it just needs a steady flow of games until the Fall where it will launch more system sellers.

And can we stop calling Mario Kart 8 enhanced port, did people call The Last of Us PS4 an enhanced port? It seems people just want to call it a port to dismiss it.

phanphare

Banned
interesting. I knew it sold quite well but i thought it was mostly existing WiiU owners that bought the game.(i mean it probably was but i thought the ratio was smaller)

it was crazy to watch, the Splatoon bump in Japan was more significant and longer lasting the Mario Kart 8 or Smash 4

now the sequel will be on a portable device that allows for 8 player local lan over wifi

JoeM86

I think you have an altered view of how launches typically go.

Carl7

Could be more if it was not the stock limitations. I will visit the US next week and I will try to find one, but judging by amazon it won't be easy.

PSFan

I believe Splatoon's LTD in Japan is around 1.5 mil. Which is less than half of the 3.3 million WiiU owners in Japan.

I think by the time Splatoon 2 comes out, anyone in Japan that's interested in it will have already bought a Switch, so it may not move many new systems. It really remains to be seen what happens with that.

Switch already has a system seller in Zelda, why does it need a system seller coming out every few months? No console does that, it just needs a steady flow of games until the Fall where it will launch more system sellers.

And can we stop calling Mario Kart 8 enhanced port, did people call The Last of Us PS4 an enhanced port? It seems people just want to call it a port to dismiss it.

Uh what should we call it? It's a port

schuelma

I believe Splatoon's LTD in Japan is around 1.5 mil. Which is less than half of the 3.3 million WiiU owners in Japan.

I think by the time Splatoon 2 comes out, anyone in Japan that's interested in it will have already bought a Switch, so it may not move many new systems. It really remains to be seen what happens with that.

ok

Oersted

Do you work for Polygon? Just wondering.

Crumbled today - pre-ordered a Mario Kart Bundle with a 15% off code here in the UK....

Not bought one since Snes days

The portability of it is great for me when I don't always command the TV

Phamit

People usually wait for the release of game and them buy the console, idk why it should be any different with Splatoon 2

And can we stop calling Mario Kart 8 enhanced port, did people call The Last of Us PS4 an enhanced port? .

....yes. Because that is what it was. Same with MK8. It's a port, get over it.

BadWolf

Doesn't sound impressive compared to the other two consoles but fans seem to be happy with the numbers so I guess they're good.

ramparter

Banned
Not really. The only real "system seller" coming out this year is Mario Oydssey. And that will probably release mid November most likely.

There's no point bringing our personal perceptions in that kind of discussion. Splatoon did really well in Wii U, it has a good fanbase. Same for Mario Kart.

nynt9

Because most people who aren't hardcore enthusiasts or Nintendo fanboys won't be enticed to pay $300 to pay one game. When people buy a console, they invest in the promise of games to play on it. To reach sales beyond a few million, you need casuals and the mediumcore, not enthusiasts. The casuals want to play the big games everyone are talking about and playing (Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Horizon, Fallout, GTA, RDR) and the mediumcore want a steady feed of games that are preferably new releases, and are usually AAA-ish action/adventure/rpg games.

As it stands, the console only appeals to a niche audience, and if it doesn't change that, it will stay at niche sales like the WiiU.

Nairume

Banned

You still have people insisting Splatoon 2 is an enhanced port for some dumb reason.

Because most people who aren't hardcore enthusiasts or Nintendo fanboys won't be enticed to pay $300 to pay one game. When people buy a console, they invest in the promise of games to play on it. To reach sales beyond a few million, you need casuals and the mediumcore, not enthusiasts. The casuals want to play the big games everyone are talking about and playing (Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Horizon, Fallout, GTA, RDR) and the mediumcore want a steady feed of games that are preferably new releases, and are usually AAA-ish action/adventure/rpg games.

As it stands, the console only appeals to a niche audience, and if it doesn't change that, it will stay at niche sales like the WiiU.

Anecdotally, it's gone beyond niche already. Zelda has crossed over. It's not gone as far as soccer moms or coffin dodgers but normal people who don't post about games on the internet are buying this thing already (or trying to).

jmizzal

You still have people insisting Splatoon 2 is an enhanced port for some dumb reason.

I find it hilarious reading these people claiming Splatoon 2 isnt a system seller, did they not learn from when people thought Splatoon was gonna sell on the Wonder 101 level lol.

Shiggy

Why is other definite editions not called ports? Even when they are on the same console the original came out on.

When it's on the same system, how would it be a port? From what system would it be ported? When there is a PS3 game that has a definite edition on PS4, then the latter is also a port. Did you even think when you wrote that post?

jmizzal

When it's on the same system, how would it be a port? From what system would it be ported? When there is a PS3 game that has a definite edition on PS4, then the latter is also a port. Did you even think when you wrote that post?

I never once seen anyone call The Last of us PS4 a port

Top Bottom