• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suspect accused of causing Newsweek's Kurt Eichenwald's seizure via twitter arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
An alleged Twitter troll behind a virtual attack that caused Newsweek senior writer Kurt Eichenwald to suffer a seizure was arrested on Friday for cyberstalking. The suspect faces federal charges and could face additional counts in Dallas, where Eichenwald lives, according to the writer.

“What Mr. Rivello did with his Twitter message was no different from someone sending a bomb in the mail or sending an envelope filled with anthrax spores,” Lieberman says. “It wasn’t the content of the communication that was intended to persuade somebody or make them feel badly about themselves; this was an electronic communication that was designed to have a physical effect.”

On December 15, hours after Eichenwald appeared on Tucker Carlson Tonight, the Twitter user @jew_goldstein tweeted a strobing image to the writer that allegedly said, “You deserve a seizure.” Later that night, in a reply to @jew_goldstein, a post appeared on the Eichenwald’s Twitter feed that said, “This is his wife, you caused a seizure. I have your information and have called the police to report the assault.”

The next day, Eichenwald tweeted that he would be working with lawyers and law enforcement. “Last night, for the second time, a deplorable aware I have epilepsy tweeted a strobe at me with the message ‘you deserve a seizure’ on it,” he wrote. “It worked. This is not going to happen again. My wife is terrified. I am...disgusted.”

Eichenwald had previously written for Newsweek about his being epileptic and about how another person had sent him a strobing message. That attack did not cause a seizure

This is great news, in a world where the internet is almost treated as not real life, it is a step forward in the actions (even on the net) having consequences department

In January, the individual behind the attack, named in court documents as John Doe, filed a motion to prevent Twitter from disclosing his identity. A lawyer for that person wrote in the motion that Eichenwald was making an “attempt to use his suit to chill the First Amendment and further embarrass and harass Doe.” Days later, Eichenwald’s lawyer told the court that because they had figured out the identity of the “assailant,” they would withdraw the request for Twitter’s help.

Asshooles are so good at making themselves out to be the victim.

http://www.newsweek.com/kurt-eichenwald-twitter-seizure-arrest-john-rivello-569813

eggandI

Banned
Lol alt-right parasite is scared of having his identity out in the open, what a shock. All that internet toughness gone

i dislike idiotic buffoons?

he doesn't deserve seizures but he's an asshole all the same

Just saying the fact that your first instinct to reading about an arrest of a guy who caused Kurt to have a freaking seizure (which you know could have devastating and permanent and even life ending results) is to proclaim how much you'd love to spit on Kurt is kinda, is completely messed up.

I mean it literally took me responding to you for you to even say the barest he doesn't deserve having a seizure (I mean it's not that obvious reading just your first post BTW)

kurt eichenwald lives in dallas?

i need to find out where so i can spit on him

b34a336f42928157fa50ba2b01780dec.gif

Amir0x

Banned
i dislike idiotic buffoons?

he doesn't deserve seizures but he's an asshole all the same

kurt eichenwald lives in dallas?

i need to find out where so i can spit on him

what a surprise the insane voter with no context or understanding of politics is acting like a huge monster about someone they don't agree with. On top of taking Civics 101, maybe you should take empathy classes.

rjinaz

Since the December incident, more than 40 other people have sent similar strobing images to Eichenwald, the writer tweeted on Friday.
Arrest them all.

Oh and he's apparently a church going Christian. How Christ like!

what a surprise the insane voter with no context or understanding of politics is acting like a huge monster about someone they don't agree with. On top of taking Civics 101, maybe you should take empathy classes.

Let Nazis speak! Stop overreacting about Trump!

I don't like what HE says so I'm going to spit on him!

Sounds about Right.

SeanC

Oof. Serious thread derail so early.

It's scary to think that someone could trigger a seizure in that way. A lot of people might be prone to them but not aware.

jmood88

I've seen that a bunch of people who have epilepsy have been sent gifs to induce seizures after tweeting about this story. I hate the Internet at times.

Amir0x

Banned
To stay on topic...

I love it when anonymous scumbags get outted. Have fun in court, asshole.

I just hope the court doesn't try to act like trying to cause a seizure to someone online is an extension of free speech. Courts have been very dodgy on issues of harassment in the online sphere.

I assume Kurt Eichenwald however can afford a damn good lawyer :D

aeolist

Banned
Can ya'll expound on this shit you're peddling?

an article by kurt: http://www.newsweek.com/myths-cost-democrats-presidential-election-521044

On Friday, I almost assaulted a fan of my work. I was in the Philadelphia International Airport, and a man who recognized me from one of my appearances on a television news show approached. He thanked me for the investigative reporting I had done about Donald Trump before the election, expressed his outrage that the Republican nominee had won and then told me quite gruffly, “Get back to work.” Something about his arrogance struck me, so I asked, “Who did you vote for?”He replied, “Well, Stein, but—” I interrupted him and said, “You're lucky it's illegal for me to punch you in the face.” Then, after telling him to have sex with himself—but with a much cruder term—I turned and walked away.

yeah sorry i'm not polite about this guy

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...eks-kurt-eichenwald-use-threats-and-brib.html

https://theoutline.com/post/749/the-agony-and-the-ecstasy-of-kurt-eichenwald

Surfinn

Yeah, they really should. People need to accept that their online actions have consequences in the real world.
Yup I mean when you're trying to attack someone and especially when you succeed, I guess it really doesn't matter how it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom