• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrest made on man accused of causing Kurt Eichenwald's seizure via Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

R-User!

I don't think George Carlin would defend 4chan.

Yeah, I think he might tell the poster that he is "pretty much of an asshole".

Or more likely that he is "stupid, full'a shit and fuckin' nuts."

He would definitely "obstruct" to the posters defence of 4chan.

Slayven

The Justice Department released additional details Friday afternoon after Rivello appeared in court. A search warrant found that in direct messages to other Twitter users, Rivello wrote, “I hope this sends him into a seizure,” “Spammed this at [victim] let’s see if he dies,” and “I know he has epilepsy.” The search warrant also found screenshots on Rivello’s iCloud account “from epilepsy.com with a list of commonly reported epilepsy seizure triggers,” the Justice Department said, and other screenshots related to Eichenwald.

He going to jail for a while

Assault by gif is now a criminal offence.

What a world

There are two options for this post.

Option one is that you believe that Kurt Eichenwald was sent into a seizure because a gif was sent to him. This option means you didn't read the thread, even its title.

Option two is that you are brazenly apathetic to a willful, deliberate attack, one where the goal was the person to go into a seizure and die, using a seizure-inducing animation. This option means that... well, you're brazenly apathetic.

Neither seem like very good options TBH

akira28

Ray-J-Stare-VH1-For-the-Love-of-Ray-J.gif

lol suddenly reminded of another thread of gaf.

whatever culture they want.

Psssh...nothin personnel...nigger...

you are killing me....kid

Got

Banned
Dude, reddit is more of a racist shit stain than 4chan. I don't condone any actual racism (Honestly, I think it's a rather weird concept to get upset over skin color), but if you truly dislike 4chan for saying racial slurs and other meaningless insults, you really need to just get off the internet in general because it's everywhere. Do people actually mean when they call another poster on 4chan a "faggot" or a "nigger"? No, they do it as a joke. It is part of their culture, and yeah it's odd, but that's how it is. It's just words, and it depends on the way the person is saying them. /pol/ is an absolute racist shit stain on 4chan, it is by far the worst board (though they produced some funny stuff once in a while). Don't group them up with everyone else. It's just tiring to see 4chan still be a "boogeyman" on the internet.

For the record, I only go to /v/ and /ic/.

ewww

Dude, reddit is more of a racist shit stain than 4chan. I don't condone any actual racism (Honestly, I think it's a rather weird concept to get upset over skin color), but if you truly dislike 4chan for saying racial slurs and other meaningless insults, you really need to just get off the internet in general because it's everywhere. Do people actually mean when they call another poster on 4chan a "faggot" or a "nigger"? No, they do it as a joke. It is part of their culture, and yeah it's odd, but that's how it is. It's just words, and it depends on the way the person is saying them. /pol/ is an absolute racist shit stain on 4chan, it is by far the worst board (though they produced some funny stuff once in a while). Don't group them up with everyone else. It's just tiring to see 4chan still be a "boogeyman" on the internet.

Yes, it's all just an incredible and misfortune coincidence that this "culture" happened to develop parallel to the rise of boards like /pol/. You are full of rich, creamy shit if you actually believe this, not that I believe you do.

Also, lol at acting like /v/ is somehow better than the rest of 4chan. I guess you weren't around during gamergate.

You know what I wish for? For idiots on the internet to stop misusing quotes excluded from context by famous dead people. Especially Carlin and Hicks. Just stop.

Slayven

If they don't mean it, why even use it ?

Christ, what the fuck at this normalisation of racism and bigotry.

Lucumo

If they don't mean it, why even use it ?
I guess it's as he said: "No, they do it as a joke. It is part of their culture, and yeah it's odd, but that's how it is." It's probably better not to try to understand these kind of people.

But he is right about one thing: Reddit is a terrible place as well. For me, it's just the other side of the coin.

TheOddOne

C46Nc2z.gif

Assault by gif is now a criminal offence.

What a world

Do you think that when laws are written, they contemplate every single scenario by which a crime can be perpetrated and if it's not explicitly laid out, the crime cannot occur?

What the guy did here pretty much meets the general requirements for criminal assault.

Permanently A

060.png

Spladam

4chan is the sewage drain of the internet. The scummy runoff and fecal sludge just swirls around it and gathers there.
Even better, it's the Mos Eisley of the interwebs.
848b57ef1fcd9ea113b7c90c75ead4a9bef0ce928fac114daa31393f4120093a.jpg

Funny thing is, I knew that pic existed without ever having seen it before.

I don't think its a good legal precedent to apply psychical assault standards to internet harassment. Which is not to defend internet harassment at all.

Makonero

I don't think its a good legal precedent to apply psychical assault standards to internet harassment. Which is not to defend internet harassment at all.
Why the fuck not? People are harassed daily online and in this case a person suffered physically from that harassment. We need to crack down on this shit and this is the most obvious and open and shut case I've ever seen.

Did you read the article? The defendant is charged for willfully inducing a seizure with the intent to cause physical harm. The notion that inducing seizures is "Internet harassment" is a complete farce. It is physical violence, and this precedence is awesome.

Ogodei

I just hope the court accepts the argument about the harassment/threatening nature of this attack and don't reject it on free speech grounds. Courts have been known to be dodgy about this sort of online harassment case in the past.

An image designed to induce seizures could not possibly be considered "speech."

Given your past comments when Kurt first got attacked I am not surprised you'd say this.

This was an attack designed to cause him bodily harm. It was wilful and intentional.That is well documented.

It is no different than anthrax in a letter. It is no different than purposely putting peanuts in the food of someone who is allergic to them with the intent of causing harm.

If it was unintentional, sure, it would be bad to charge someone for this. But the guy knew and set out to cause harm. So he deserves punishment for that action.

sugarhigh4242 said:
And while I would certainly not support intentionally giving a person a siezure (or laugh about it)

sugarhigh4242 said:
In fiction, when a bully gets confronted, the audience cheers. In a similar way, I found his wife posting on his twitter kind of hilarious.

Amazing how on the same page in that thread, sugarhigh went from "I don't support these people" and "it's not funny" to "I support the person who assaulted him" and "it was pretty funny."

rjinaz

Question then, had this seizure killed the man, then in your opinion, the man that sent him the image with the intent of killing him (which he admitted to others on twitter) should not face murder charges?

What would the death be ruled as then? Accidental? Natural causes?

Ironic, considering how much better the internet would be without people like you.

On the subject, according to Wikipedia, Cyberstalking sentences can range from 18 months in prison and a $10,000 fine for a fourth-degree charge to ten years in prison and a $150,000 fine for a second-degree charge. So lets hope it's a high level charge.

Boem

I'm always surprised people are still defending 4chan. I get it, even back in my day (what, more than 15 years ago?) 4chan was popular among high schoolers. To them, it felt like this cool underground thing where you could go for some 'edgy' comedy, a real insider internet nerd thing. A boy's club. That kind of thing can be attractive when you're young and still developing your personality, just like how you can get into obscure cult movies or bands to form a unique personality. Everyone needs to identify with some community outside of the mainstream.

But, even if you were part of that crowd when you were younger, you need to be able to look back on it and admit it was always full of shit. It's a bunch of kids misbehaving from behind the safety of a screen in their own little nerdy corner of the internet. Some people, even after all these years, still identify way too much with that shit. At its best, 4chan is full of people repeating the same old lame jokes at each other. At its worst, it's sexist, racist and people mistakenly feeling good about being a part of the 'cool crowd' on the internet.

It's never been cool, it's never been funny. It's a cesspool. There's nothing good about it, it's a bunch of people acting like idiots in their insular little anonymous community, and acting like they're somehow the John Wayne's of the internet instead of a bunch of deluded neckbeards.

The fact that they're actually comparing themselves to someone like George Carlin is hilarious to me. You're not nearly at his level, kids.

On the subject, according to Wikipedia, Cyberstalking sentences can range from 18 months in prison and a $10,000 fine for a fourth-degree charge to ten years in prison and a $150,000 fine for a second-degree charge. So lets hope it's a high level charge.

I can only hope that he faces attempted murder charges, though that may be a bridge too far for the prosecution. I'd hate for him to avoid justice because they took a gamble.

I'm going back and forth between wanting this to be an example case, but also realizing it could set a bad precedent if too general.

Dude there's nothing general about this...

Like for god sakes this was a targeted attack. The they have documented proof of intent to injure/kill.

The internet is real life and the sooner we treat like that, the better off we'll all be.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
How bout if you willfully attempt to kill someone you are charged with attempted murder? Is there anything unreasonable about that?

I don't think George Carlin would defend 4chan.

A lot of people's conceptions regarding Carlin are undoubtedly colored by the fact something like 50% of what you read about him online is libertarian horseshit incorrectly attributed him for over a decade straight.

Same thing happened to Morgan Freeman for a few years there.

Volimar

How bout if you willfully attempt to kill someone you are charged with attempted murder? Is there anything unreasonable about that?

Definitely, but I don't see a jury voting to convict for attempted murder over pictures. People in general just haven't caught up to the times in that regard.

bjork

I'm going back and forth between wanting this to be an example case, but also realizing it could set a bad precedent if too general.

What constitutes too general, though? Do you mean in terms of services locking down the kind of content and comments people can make?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom