• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 will have to be very innovative to keep up with handheld PCs and phones going forward

odhiex

I think Nintendo's next system is going to be fine, but it is not a guarantee that it would be "as successful as" the current Nintendo Switch.

Nintendo IPs are huge selling points but they simply cannot rely on them alone. Supports from the third party developers/publishers are equally important to make the new hardware desirable to customers.

Case points the GameCube and Wiiu

Last edited:

EDMIX

They pioneered the hybrid handheld/home console system.

lol thats crazy! They invented the outing a portable device to the tv? /s

oprah-winfrey-shrug.gif

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
They only need SD equivalent performance, sprinkle in DLSS and it should be good enough.

Render between 480p-720p then upscale to 1080 in handheld mode, then upscale to 4K in docked mode.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Nintendo can get away with anything. There is really not much innovation left. Just release another set of a Mario platformer, Mario Kart, Smash Bros and a new Zelda and that's it.
I disagree with you statement there's no innovation left.
Yes, that's true if you're Phil Spencer Xbox Microsoft. By their delusions nothing has been innovate or revolutionary since Whacked! or Brute Force.

Remember, in case you forgot, there is no 'pro' refresh for the ecksbox while there will be a PS5 Pro. Yes, it's crazy the PS4 Pro had that much market penetration in such short time.

Yes, that's true if you're Phil Spencer Xbox Microsoft. By their delusions nothing has been innovate or revolutionary since Whacked! or Brute Force.

Remember, in case you forgot, there is no 'pro' refresh for the ecksbox while there will be a PS5 Pro. Yes, it's crazy the PS4 Pro had that much market penetration in such short time.
Dont remind me about Brute Force. I'll never forget myself as a child obsessing over that game in the official Xbox magazine. The visuals at the time made my jaw drop. Underrated game that sadly wasn't well recieved. I really miss the original Xbox. There was something special about it that no other console had.

The reason why there is no Xbox Series X Pro is because the Swries S exists and Microsoft shot themselves in the foot because of short term profits instead of thinking long term.

Last edited:

yurinka

Nintendo can release a bag of potatos with a Mario logo as Switch 2 and sell it for $500. Their fans would buy 4 each and would say it's the pinnacle of gaming innovation.

Nintendo doesn't need anything, it will sell because it's a religion for their fans. They don't need innovation, they only need to continue milking and rehashing Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Smash, Animal Crossing and Zelda.

Last edited:
Nintendo can release a bag of potatos with a Mario logo as Switch 2 and sell it for $500. Their fans would buy 4 each and would say it's the pinnacle of gaming innovation.

Nintendo doesn't need anything, it will sell because it's a religion for their fans.
Finally someone who knows and understands how Nintendo works lol.

bender

What time is it?
Handheld PC gaming is way too unfriendly for your average consumer. Mobile gaming was popular when the Switch launched and it did just fine. Nintendo doesn't need to "keep up" with anyone. Their greatest stumbles is when they've attempted to keep up with the competition instead of carving their own path.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
They released overpriced cardboard accesories for their console that their customers even had to build themselves, reducing costs to the max. Something insulting, but some claimed it was the pinnacle of gaming and innovation.
Yes Labo was crud why do I need boxes when I play games this was a stupid idea Nintendo needs to make goord hardware not being Inspector Gadget

Del_X

Just have Nintendo games and “things” that feel appropriate for a console. They‘ll be fine unless the switch 2 is $500.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Nintendo could keep selling old arse hardware with little uplift in performance and they'd still do well. Just look at NS sales, its still flying off shelves 6 years after launch on an ancient custom Tegra X1 from 2015.

Their machines sell on the basis of their IP and high quality standards set by them. It doesn't matter if x machine is more powerful or has more features.
Why make a new machine that people will have to rebuy if the games are the thing that matters, then? Surely whatever Nintendo has for their vision can be accomplished on a regular old Switch, eh?

I also disagree that there's no innovation left, we can still explore many aspects of gaming.

But why bring Xbox into this for one? Xbox hasn't innovated jackshit since Gears of War in 2007, they're irrelevant in this discussion.

He's criticizing the fact that Nintendo games just aren't as original or fresh anymore. Barring BOTW and TOTK which upended Zelda,

3D Mario hasn't seen much (positive) change to its 3d design and mission structure in the 27 years it's been around.

2D mario is just getting back on its feet after a 14 year long slump of mediocrity. (excluding Mario Maker 1 & 2)

Kirby made the leap to 3D 25 years after everyone else had done so.

Pokemon now is a complete abomination, manmade gaming horrors beyond our comprehension.

The newest Mario Kart (IMO) is more dumbed down and boring to play than MKDS, Wii or 64, & isn't nearly as inventive or interesting as many other kart racers. And it's been around for 9 years, now.

Every Mario spinoff that isn't related to racing has pretty much been dogshit since the Wii U era. Paper Mario, Mario and Luigi, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, etc. Either missing in action or stripped of all its soul. Many of their more quirky franchises like Rhythm Heaven, and Wario Land are gone, too.

Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronicles are the most interesting new IPs they've had a hand in making in the past 15 years.

I still enjoy these games (except for new Pokemon) but you can't deny that many Nintendo games are fundamentally not much different from how they were 20, 30 and 40 years ago. It's a testament to the strength of these IPs... but it also gets boring to play Mario, Pokemon and Zelda for every new release doesn't it?

They released overpriced cardboard accesories for their console that their customers even had to build themselves, reducing costs to the max. Something insulting, but some claimed it was the pinnacle of gaming and innovation.
That's how Nintendo fanboys operate. Purely blind and not a care in the world.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
As long as Nintendo makes games like Splatoon, TOTK, Mario Kart, Super Mario Wonder, etc., they will be alright.

Yeah, this is what people don’t get. Nintendo’s monster evergreen franchises are the reason to buy the hardware - not power or gimmicks.

Nintendo is the only hardware maker that can get by solely on their first party games.

Probably since the N64 or GameCube, Nintendo has released considerably weaker consoles than its competitors, Sony and Microsoft. One can argue that give their release cycles and hardware approaches, they are not even competitors anymore. Doing their own thing has worked considerably well for them for the last 10-15 years.

They pioneered the hybrid handheld/home console system. But more recently, Steam Decks and other handheld PCs have shown up, offering considerably more power and the ability to install pretty much any software you can install on a regular PC. Now even phones are catching up being able to offer console-level AAA experiences.

Nintendo is Nintendo and they will always have Mario, Zelda and Pokémon, and those will always sell a ton.
But with the rumored Switch 2 having allegedly similar performance to a PS4, when phones and other handhelds can already do that, and this is not even the beginning of the generation, I'm concerned that Nintendo will have to just rely again on first party software to thrive. The difference this generation being that they have significantly more competition from handheld PCs and phones.

Hope they've got something up their sleeves instead of just a slightly more beefed up Switch that is already outdated on release.
The problem with your logic is that the handheld PC market is super niche and not statistically significant as a competitor to a mass market device like Nintendo Switch. And there are console players and there are phone players, and console gaming remains relatively flat, from generation to generation, it doesn’t really ever get smaller. So this whole argument about how “phones will destroy consoles” was proven to not be a thing a whole generation ago.

Not sure why it’s being brought up again now as if the last 15 years haven’t happened.

The Wii U failed because it was a terrible product, not because there wasn’t huge demand for a Nintendo dedicated console, as the 3DS and then later with the Switch proved. The audience and demand for a Nintendo device now that they’re on the right track of making attractive products (combined with compelling software) that people want, is the next one could easily sell as much or close to Switch.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I think both brands get away with innovating very little at times tbh.

Even this whole Pro refresh isn't really excusive to either company. Nintendo has done that to many handhelds, Sony has done it, MS has done it etc.

So we know PS5 has a Pro, I don't see much evidence that we will see zero enhancement by MS. I don't buy that MS will just allow them to have the most powerful system on the market with no answer.

Even Switch is simply a PSP2000 outing to a TV. This is not a new concept or innovative or anything like that. Thats like me getting a laptop and handing out a HDMI cord with it and claiming I'm being "iNnOvAtiVe iN dA mArKeTz" lol Nintendo is merely doing something, that has been done before.....

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I think both brands get away with innovating very little at times tbh.

Even this whole Pro refresh isn't really excusive to either company. Nintendo has done that to many handhelds, Sony has done it, MS has done it etc.

So we know PS5 has a Pro, I don't see much evidence that we will see zero enhancement by MS. I don't buy that MS will just allow them to have the most powerful system on the market with no answer.

Even Switch is simply a PSP2000 outing to a TV. This is not a new concept or innovative or anything like that. Thats like me getting a laptop and handing out a HDMI cord with it and claiming I'm being "iNnOvAtiVe iN dA mArKeTz" lol Nintendo is merely doing something, that has been done before.....
To be fair while i do think the impact of Switch being a handheld that outputs to a TV is a bit overstated and overhyped... They did very much design the console around it. That's why it comes with a dock, and the 2 shitty controllers can be attached to the tablet and the grip to be used in home and portable mode. With PSP you sort of had to use a third party solution/sold seperate adapter, and you'd be stuck with the PSP control... which to be fair, isn't that far off from Switch when it comes to ergonomics.

That being said, it's still very much a handheld system. So much so that I can easily justify getting a Lite over the actual thing.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
A dedicated device like the Switch offers something completely different from phones and tablets. The whole experience is just totally unlike one another.

I don't want to go into the ad-saturated phone stores and find games, then try to dismiss notifications at the top of my screen as I play on a device that ergonomically built to be antithetical to gaming or physical controls. That's a fundamentally miserable experience, completely unchanged no matter how powerful the chips become, even if they somehow dwarfed home consoles in power.

Nintendo will do best by continuing to make its consoles just fun to pick up, pure gaming devices that think of gaming as their use case from the ground up in every part of the software and physical controls. There's a reason they didn't allow a web browser on Switch... the more it fundamentally separates itself from the awful world of smart phones the better it becomes.

When are yall gonna learn ? Lol the tech matters only minimally. It has Nintendo games. Thats the difference maker for their platforms. Nowhere else can you get their 1st party titles and thats why Nintendo is the Disney of old in the gaming realm. All it has to do from a technical standpoint is avoid being a total disaster like the Wii U. And the concept of the Switch just has to keep being improved upon. That blueprint is perfect combining their console and handheld business. It was the natural evolution for them and i dont see why it cant be for many years moving forward meaning a switch 3/4/5 etc.

Last edited:

PotatoBoy

We are getting to the point where Nintendo is one of the last publishers capable of putting out games on a consistent basis that are not embarrassing corporate trash. They'll be able to sell whatever console they put out.

No I don’t think so.

Nintendo seems to be immune to this kind of thing. They’ve successfully carved themselves out a nice little area in the market. Switch was nothing special when it launched either, and Switch 2 will be the new hotness, regardless of other innovative features. The loyal fan base will evangelize for it, and YouTubers, always desperate for views, will push it to their audiences. I don’t think the train can slow down.

radewagon

Handheld PC's...? Look, I love my Steamdeck, but I wouldn't wish it on a majority of the gaming public. The wealth of options that I, and many others love, are a huge barrier for entry.

Also.... Phones? . . . phones....

However will Nintendo compete with products that are generally lacking A) Expandable storage, B) Headphone jacks, C) Physical buttons, and D) Actual Games that aren't just whale bait in disguise?

Unless they royally mess up, Nintendo will be fine competing against those two.

Ozzie666

There are better ways to play Switch games right now, and have been for sometime. It hasn't put a dent in Nintendo or Switch sales that we can tell. Just keeping making games and content your fans enjoy and they will come. Doesn't matter if there are more powerful hanheld PC platforms.

Exede

Nope, i dont agree. Wanna play Nintendo games? You have to buy a Nintendo product, easy. They don't need to change anything.

TransTrender

Gold Member
But why bring Xbox into this for one? Xbox hasn't innovated jackshit since Gears of War in 2007, they're irrelevant in this discussion.

He's criticizing the fact that Nintendo games just aren't as original or fresh anymore.
Just to remind people how they're creatively bankrupt.

You also lost me at the bold part.

Once again, this is a very myopic point of view.

Pokemon had been the same old thing since inception. Baby trash. It's nothing new.

Everything else? Nah man, I appreciate the sweat equity they pour in to their titles.

The Wii-U is a clear example this isn't true.

Last edited:

FStubbs

Nintendo doesn't need anything, it will sell because it's a religion for their fans. They don't need innovation, they only need to continue milking and rehashing Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Smash, Animal Crossing and Zelda.
The GameCube and Wii U are proof this is not true.

Handheld PCs won't even sell a fraction in comparison and smartphones aren't dedicated gaming devices that offer the same experience or the same IPs.

If it's a handheld, it will be a great success. And it will.

The end.

Last edited:

IAmRei

For me, nintendo is often the example why high spec not always needed. And i dont agree if they are not competitor, but in tech term i can be agree. Nintendo style is not focusing on raw power, but their IP and not only that, the 3rd party games in switch also sold well.

Top Bottom