• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 will have to be very innovative to keep up with handheld PCs and phones going forward

MadPanda

Banned
It'll be half the cost and innovation as other handhelds and will sell double all of them combined.
Exactly that. Right now in my country steam deck is around 6-700 euros while switch oled is around 3-350 euros. If steam deck was around 400 euros I'd consider it.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m not sure that’s true. Just as Ps5/Xbox isn’t a PC, Switch isn’t a handheld PC. They offer different experiences.

They can't because they're tech enthusiast masquerading as video game players. :messenger_sunglasses:
Eventually it won’t matter either way. We are approaching a graphical plateau in maybe 2-3 more generations, and Nintendo will eventually catch up while being the cheaper more portable option. Everyone will eventually be satisfied one way or another.

They can't because they're tech enthusiast masquerading as video game players. :messenger_sunglasses:
Unfortunately i think this is spot on. Ive noticed it a lot lately on X(twitter) where apparently the consoles wars are still being fought unbeknownst to me because i thought that ended when i was 15 but ah humans and our tribalism. See a lot of tech comparisons and im like sheesh it really seems like yall are missing the point. Let me spell it out. G-a-m-e-s. That is all. Play the games you want to play. And there was a thread here upset that Ps5 couldn’t achieve that matrix demo graphics in all its games and they gotta wait till Ps6 lol when they dont understand thats not an actual game and asset allocation is a thing and budget so on and so forth. Also high end pc’s not being the lead development platform due to console popularity etc. God i wish these people knew what it was like playing gameboy under a lamp until the trusty wormlight and eventually the revolutionary gba sp graced us

It doesn't have to be innovative at all. Why? Because Nintendo fans will settle for anything they are given and buy Mario/Zelda/Kirby release number 1000 by the millions. Whatever criticisms I have of Nintendo I do admire that they march to the beat of their drum though and - like PlayStation - the 1st party output is always of the highest/GOTY level quality.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Innovative = Powerful?

Something just doesn't compute in my mind. Nintendo will be innovative, they just know how to bring new concepts instead of just "more power" which, btw, to me it's already old and uninteresting. Once they reach around PS4 Pro power level, diminishing return will hit them as it hit PS and Xbox

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
It’s won’t though because it will be the only place to play Nintendo games.

Put a different suit on Mario and bingo 30 million copies sold.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Nope, Nintendo is such a strong brand now that they need to release just beefed up/a bit more powerful Switch, named it switch 2 and they will win generation in terms of sales and keep printing money.

Moses85

Another gimmick...
team america vomit GIF

SCB3

Nope, it has to do what its doing now, making quality games, Mario, Zelda and Pokemon alone prop up the consoles and the other IP bolster it

Now for what I wanna see, give me something on par with the Steam deck or better that also allows these IP's to push forward rather than this weird Wii/Wii U era graphic capability, we've all seen how great Zelda and mario look in 4K via Mods, give us something similar and I'd be very happy

Woopah

lol thats crazy! They invented the outing a portable device to the tv? /s

oprah-winfrey-shrug.gif
Nintendo created a portable outputting to a TV 20 years ago. It's the hybrid design of the Switch that was new.
Nintendo can release a bag of potatos with a Mario logo as Switch 2 and sell it for $500. Their fans would buy 4 each and would say it's the pinnacle of gaming innovation.

Nintendo doesn't need anything, it will sell because it's a religion for their fans. They don't need innovation, they only need to continue milking and rehashing Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Smash, Animal Crossing and Zelda.
Now I understand why the Wii U failed, a lack of potatoes.

Cyberpunkd

I'm concerned that Nintendo will have to just rely again on first party software to thrive. The difference this generation being that they have significantly more competition from handheld PCs and phones.
Can you play Nintendo games on phones and PC? No? There’s your answer.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nah Nintendo makes the best games .. critically and financially top tier. They could rerelease the game boy as their next console and still make the best games and sell 100 million consoles.

Portugeezer

Those handheld PC's sell a small percentage of what Switch does.

Nah Nintendo makes the best games .. critically and financially top tier. They could rerelease the game boy as their next console and still make the best games and sell 100 million consoles.
But could they release the Wii U and sell 100 million? No, no the couldn't.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Imo Nintendo is successful despite all their console gimmicks. If only they launched with a PS5, and robust 3rd party support ....

diffusionx

Gold Member
Wiiu says Hi.
I get this, they were undoubtedly at their lowest point, but they also sold like 8 million copies of Mario Kart 8 on Wii U, which was about as much as big time PS4 exclusives from Sony. So that's the power of controlling your own platform and having great games on it, even if the platform isn't super popular.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
A Nintendo console is the entry fee to play Nintendo games but the people who think thats a guarantee success should remember Wii-U and the original 3DS release. People are fickle.
Circumstances was different back then when everyone was obsessed with graphics. Today we saw a real time path-tracing and all about graphics is on PC.
WiiU didn't have 3rd party support because hardware - now it's not a problem. I don't see any chance of Nintendo failing in today's world.

dezzy8

No it won’t. Nintendo just needs Mario and Zelda and it’ll fly off the shelves. They have too many games that you can only play on their console.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Exactly that. Right now in my country steam deck is around 6-700 euros while switch oled is around 3-350 euros. If steam deck was around 400 euros I'd consider it.

Interesting. A base model Steam Deck is only $50 more than a Switch Oled here in Canada.

A refurbished base model is $50 less than the Switch Oled.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think Switch 2 will still have its own place vs. Steam Decks and Rog Allys. It'll be a very similar situation to PS5 vs. PC.

Some PCs can be more powerful than a PS5, and you can play several BC PS games on a powerful PC, but millions and millions of people still will continue to buy a PlayStation console because (1) the ease and convenience of use and (2) exclusive software, and (3) marketing and brand association.

Not everybody is interested in the most powerful way to play a game, and not everybody is interested in tinkering with PCs (which these other handheld devices are).

This will be especially true in the case of Nintendos, which target relatively more casual audience groups than those who use a PS5.

GoldenEye98

I think Switch 2 will still have its own place vs. Steam Decks and Rog Allys. It'll be a very similar situation to PS5 vs. PC.

Some PCs can be more powerful than a PS5, and you can play several BC PS games on a powerful PC, but millions and millions of people still will continue to buy a PlayStation console because (1) the ease and convenience of use and (2) exclusive software, and (3) marketing and brand association.

Not everybody is interested in the most powerful way to play a game, and not everybody is interested in tinkering with PCs (which these other handheld devices are).

This will be especially true in the case of Nintendos, which target relatively more casual audience groups than those who use a PS5.

Virtually every 3rd party AAA game comes to PS5 and PC. So all things considered you can choose between ease of use vs pc without really giving anything up.

That isn't the case with a Nintendo platform.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Strawberries will have to be very innovative to keep up with Hamburgers and Donuts going forward

Killer8

The Switch broke records from 2017-2023 when we were already balls deep into mobile gaming. The Switch 2 will be absolutely fine.

Handheld PCs are a very niche market that I wouldn't even consider to be in direct competition with Nintendo. They are an add-on to someone's existing PC experience.

If the Switch 2 has ray tracing capabilities and DLSS then those will go a long way to ensure it stays technologically relevant and keeps getting ports from PS5/XS for the rest of the generation.

th4tguy

No it doesn’t. It just needs a steady stream of solid software, 3rd and first party.
The handheld pc market is so niche. It’s not competition. Don’t be naive.

MadPanda

Banned
Interesting. A base model Steam Deck is only $50 more than a Switch Oled here in Canada.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat qif that was the case here. I just recently bought switch and I'm loving this portable format. This is my first portable console and I play exclusively portable even when sitting in the living room in front of my 55" oled TV. If I could do the same with steam prices and game pass catalogue I'd be ecstatic.

ZoukGalaxy

Honestly, no, just don't screw up with a stupid name like "Switch U" and it will be fine.

Nintendo have so many strong IPs, they don't compete with PC handled and mobiles at all, their force is their portfolio.

Nobody else have this unique Nintendo magic touch.

video games news GIF by NowThis
GIF by Leroy Patterson

Also, the same has been said many times when smartphones with touchscreen were launched more than a decade ago.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

Negative, switch is released without being a portable it's an epic fail. You know this is true.

You might be on to something:

Nintendo console sales:
NES 61mn
SNES 49mn
N64 33mn
GC 23mn
Wii 100mn
Wii U 12mn

Nintendo handheld sales:

Gameboy/GB color: 118mn
GBA: 81mn
DS: 154mn
3ds: 78mn
Switch: 129mn

They have been a little more successful with one than the other.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

I thought it was interesting that right now you can order a Switch OLED direct from Amazon Japan for $288 USD including tax and shipping to the US.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

The Switch broke records from 2017-2023 when we were already balls deep into mobile gaming. The Switch 2 will be absolutely fine.

Handheld PCs are a very niche market that I wouldn't even consider to be in direct competition with Nintendo. They are an add-on to someone's existing PC experience.

If the Switch 2 has ray tracing capabilities and DLSS then those will go a long way to ensure it stays technologically relevant and keeps getting ports from PS5/XS for the rest of the generation.

Yeah Steam Deck is as much accessory as it is a platform. How many have a StD and don't also play games on a pc of some sort?

GoldenEye98

I thought it was interesting that right now you can order a Switch OLED direct from Amazon Japan for $288 USD including tax and shipping to the US.

huh...that is pretty good. If I were to go a Walmart here in my area of Canada and buy a Switch Oled right now the total cost including tax would be the equivalent of $383 USD

Marketing is going to be key... we certainly don't want a repeat of the Wii > WiiU fiasco. I think there was a big disconnect there between the gimmick/form factor and the Wii branding.

However there's also something else to consider and that is that the Switch... well I think it's still a pretty solid and marketable concept even today. Compared to motion controls or something like 3D, it's just so convenient to be able to play on the TV or on the go.

simpatico

I don't think there's much overlap between SteamDeck customers and Switch customers. At least not enough to worry about for Nintendo.

Top Bottom