• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The awful "knocking your opponent midair over and over again" in fighting games.

Recall

You can always tell those who wish fighting games were just games where you mashed buttons and it being enough to always win.

I don't want realistic video games. Ever.

HeatBoost

Well, new mechanics in fighters make me do that. It basically sounds like people want a different genre.

Evolution often leads things to feeling like a "different genre" so maybe. Open world mission based drivey/shooty action wasn't really considered a genre unto itself until people started biting GTA3's style, so...

For Honor is the latest one.

This is a good example. Nowadays it feels like if there's going to be a totally fresh, completely different type of fighting game it's going to come out of someone riffing on the PVP fights in Dark Souls instead of a more classical arcade-style fighter.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Its a bad game convention that continues just because.

Combos on general are such bullshit nonsensical game design that has became far too entrenched in fighting games.

Its not going away probably ever(unless I somehow get to design a fighting game)

It's ok, they made Dive kick just for you

mbpm1

Evolution often leads things to feeling like a "different genre" so maybe. Open world mission based drivey/shooty action wasn't really considered a genre unto itself until people started biting GTA3's style, so...

It'd be easier for someone to make a new genre than make a new fighting game ip that would sell at this point

nkarafo

Removing combos nah man a fight usually starts off like this looking for an opening
tumblr_nt8x6fT9GR1t33d6lo1_400.gif

Once you land the first hit.. well you capitalize
tumblr_onk2p5mUnj1uazugyo1_500.gif
These animations look amazing though. Because they also look realistic. Imagine Ryu doing the usual juggling hop in the second gif.

PantsuJo

This thread is exactly why we need more arcade, unrealistic and nonsense fighting games with ridiculously long combos.

You lost the sense of fun, GAF.

remz

I think the reason GG and Blazblue juggles both look great is because both the attacker and the victim get mega vertical momentum. It's easier to sell the combo juggle when a guy is zooming up and across the air with their opponent (as opposed to being planted while launching) cuz it's like he's punching so hard he took off...

This thread is exactly why we need more arcade, unrealistic and nonsense fighting games with ridiculously long combos.

You lost the sense of fun, GAF.
Fist of the north star 2 when? Arcsys pls

Line_HTX

There is nothing wrong with juggles in Tekken. It's not like it takes forever like what OP describes. Tekken combos aren't even supposed to be realistic anyway. And there are other games that have more broken mechanics or one touch death combos than the most optimized damage you can do in Tekken.

This feels like hating on Tekken for no good reason.

HeelPower

Bad game design?

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

You hit with the right button > You get rewarded and can hit them more.

Basic feedback loop. Taking combos out of fighting games is like taking items and skills out of an ARPG, taking all but one gun out of an FPS, or taking characters out of a Sims game. You could do it, but what are you bringing to replace it?

Let's hope you never design a fighting game then because combos are essential to the genre and to fighting itself. It's like making a platforming game without jumping.

Uh, combos are fun and reward good execution. They are also a good punishment for the opponent making a mistake. It's not bad game design just because you say so. You also seem to be in the wrong considering every good fighting game has combos.

What's with the topic shift from juggles to combos

I mean yeah, juggles are a type of combo, but not all combos are juggles

Here's some gameplay from a fighting game with no combos

How do you feel about short combos like in sf2? Same or better?

There are countless TEKKEN korean matches that play mainly around pokes,footsies,throws and just rock solid back and forth fighting.Mind you tekken is extremely combo heavy ,but it does happen every once in a while that players are so focused on safe gameplay that they avoid using launchers.This is tekken at its best for me.

Another game that did combos right was Soul Calibur 2. A knockdown move with an additional hit or so is more than enough.

I enjoy pokes and ground game much more than enjoy locking opponents into stun animations.

mbpm1

There are countless TEKKEN korean matches that play mainly around pokes,footsies,throws and just rock solid back and forth fighting.Mind you tekken is extremely combo heavy ,but it does happen every once in a while that players are so focused on safe gameplay that they avoid using launchers.This is tekken at its best for me.

Another game that did combos right was Soul Calibur 2. A knockdown move with an additional hit or so is more than enough.

I enjoy pokes and ground game much more than enjoy locking opponents into stun animations.

Ah, that makes sense then; you're a relic.

Nothing of what you've said makes combos bad game design though. You can have ALL of the things you mentioned without combos, and adding combos takes nothing away from them. If anything combos help add variety and allow for appreciation of what you mentioned more.

depths20XX

I mean yeah, SC2 is one of the best 3d fighters of all time, you're right. Personally I'd love to see that series return to that style. Tekken is extremely combo heavy though.

The only real problem I've had with juggles and floats is that it soon became a universal part of virtually all fighting games from the earliest days. An exciting yet more believable, biomechanically-correct treatment of collisions and a fun combination system would be nice to see outside of the sports sim genre. Juggles can feel like a crutch that simplifies the work of making new sideview fighting games and they are certainly a holdover from the early days of the designs that expected single-screen arcade and home play. With online play being so prevalent and tournament setups dedicating a screen to each player, it would be the right time to see new fighting games take advantage of non-neutral, behind-the-player-character camera angles that would also allow the mechanics to be free of the classical arcade design roots. Local play could still happen with splitscreen and LAN.

Line_HTX

I mean yeah, SC2 is one of the best 3d fighters of all time, you're right. Personally I'd love to see that series return to that style. Tekken is extremely combo heavy though.

T7 has already altered the structure of it thus resulting in way shorter combos than the steroids it was in Tag 2. How is it extremely combo heavy when you still have neutral and pokes to account for to avoid getting that big punishment?

Temp_User

Long juggles based on meter like the EX meter in recent Street Fighters and Drive cancels in KOF are fine for me. At least you know that if your enemy caught you with a full meter, all the juggled pain you would receive is fair game.

Short string juggles using normal attacks like Sophitia's launcher,kick,kick, thrust combo or Lau's launcher + pppk combo are again fine with me. Some characters in the roster needs to have reliable juggle launchers for gameplay variety.

Long string juggles using normal attacks for every character in the roster like the Vs series (and Tekken to a slightly lesser extent)is terrible even if juggle opportunities is the reward for interrupting your opponents attack. Instead of that, why not a knockdown or crumble/stun opportunity? Seeing that ugly-ass juggle hit animations over and over again and you powerless to stop it, is terribly frustrating. For this type of scenario, the game at the very least should've a way to counter it after the first few hits land.

RM8

I have no problems with it being unrealistic, or the animation looking silly. But I do actively avoid touch of death fighting games that very often become a single player game during any given match. No Marvel / animu for me!

It's not meant to look realistic. Why are you looking to fighting games for realism? What you're talking about is juggling, and for games like Tekken, it's a core part of the meta game.

JimiNutz

Banned
I don't like juggling either.
To be honest the fighting genre is in desperate need of reform.

Traditional 2D and 3D fighting games should absolutely exist but there needs to be more options for other people that didn't grow up playing Street Fighter or Tekken but want to play a fighting game.

OP try UFC 2 - The ground game isn't particularly fun but the stand up fighting in that game is really good. The system has reasonable depth and the fighting is much more realistic.

Traditional 2D and 3D fighting games should absolutely exist but there needs to be more options for other people that didn't grow up playing Street Fighter or Tekken but want to play a fighting game.

OP try UFC 2 - The ground game isn't particularly fun but the stand up fighting in that game is really good. The system has reasonable depth and the fighting is much more realistic.

Look in to Divekick and For Honor, ARMS is coming out soon as well.

this is fine in smash bros where you can change your trajectory dynamically instead of something where you can put your controller down for a few seconds

Anne

The amount of replies in here about not liking VS series combos is pretty disheartening. I have the feeling a lot of people don't exactly get why something like UMvC3 ToDs are generally a non issue. Same with Tekken. It's not like combos appear out of thin air lol

I personally dislike juggling too, but it has nothing to do with realism (c'mon, we are talking about fighting games. Very few things are realistic in them).

Juggling is just another type of combo mechanic (BTW, all of the people here comparing juggling with MvC air combos: it is not the same. At all). It involves skill and practice, and as such is rewarding and fun to do it. I think the reason I don't like them is that they don't look as stylish as ground combos and that when receiving them I find them more frustrating than regular combos, since it constantly looks like the combo is going to end and you are going to recover control of your character, but then the juggle continues until your opponent misses or you leave the "floating" state.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
The only real problem I've had with juggles and floats is that it soon became a universal part of virtually all fighting games from the earliest days. An exciting yet more believable, biomechanically-correct treatment of collisions and a fun combination system would be nice to see outside of the sports sim genre. Juggles can feel like a crutch that simplifies the work of making new sideview fighting games and they are certainly a holdover from the early days of the designs that expected single-screen arcade and home play. With online play being so prevalent and tournament setups dedicating a screen to each player, it would be the right time to see new fighting games take advantage of non-neutral, behind-the-player-character camera angles that would also allow the mechanics to be free of the classical arcade design roots. Local play could still happen with splitscreen and LAN.

Sounds like ARMS.

Spladam

I believe Killer Instinct 2 Gold had a mode just to practice juggles?

I used to love juggling in Tekken 3 Tag, but like some pointed out here, it's only fun when you're the one juggling. If not, you knew what was coming and could take a short break while it happened.

DOA was/ is the worst for this, it gets cheap, the Capcom crossover games has some pretty bad examples too.

Alx

I love fighting games, but was never fond of juggling. Or long combos. I understand there is some skill to it, but the longer it is the less interaction there is between players, it's just one player doing the punishing and the other watching it happen.

I liked early Virtua Fighter precisely because it wasn't too focused on combos and juggle. Since VF4 it hasn't been the same (even if it's still a great game)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Arms
Pokken
Power Stone
Smash Brothers
Gundam Vs
One Piece Burning Blood
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm

Maybe you just need to actually try to look

If fighting games got rid of juggles, and went for full-on real-life realism, they'd all be like those UFC games. Boring as fuuuuuuuck.

Metzhara

I got a guy who shoots energy out from his hands, across a screen, and ignites a dude on fire... but juggling is crazy.
Realism.
To be fair however, the purpose in some respect is meant to garner that emotion and doing it in some games really is a skill to be admired (when you're not getting your ass handed to you.)

Lemstar

The amount of replies in here about not liking VS series combos is pretty disheartening. I have the feeling a lot of people don't exactly get why something like UMvC3 ToDs are generally a non issue. Same with Tekken. It's not like combos appear out of thin air lol
neogaf

Fraeon

What makes Pocket Rumble different? Because from the trailer I saw it looked like your traditional 2D fighter with neogeo pocket aesthetics.

It's definitely the closest to a traditional fighter but special moves are done by holding diagonals briefly and then pressing a button. There are also only 2 buttons.

It's like the next step from Divekick as far as complexity goes.

DSix

Banned
I'm a serious Tekken player, and I think juggling is stupid as fuck. No fighting game needs it.

Tekken's gameplay is rich enough to have plenty of great plays, juggles are extraneous and a waste of everybody's time.

Fraeon

I liked early Virtua Fighter precisely because it wasn't too focused on combos and juggle. Since VF4 it hasn't been the same (even if it's still a great game)

VF5FS has damaging combos but most of the time they're pretty short and to the point. Like way shorter than the ones in Tekken for sure.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm a serious Tekken player, and I think juggling is stupid as fuck. No fighting game needs it.

Tekken's gameplay is rich enough to have plenty of great plays, juggles are extraneous and a waste of everybody's time.

So basically you just want the launchers to all do 1/3rd life damage instead? Sounds like a garbage idea

Top Bottom