• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian confirmed for TGS 2015 - Interact with Trico's AI on a big screen

stryke

1442500479-tlg.gif

BadWolf

Really nice, but there's a long delay between the movement of the ball and the Trico response.

The reactions vary, sometimes he reacts quick and sometimes it seems his attention is on something else and then he reacts. Makes it feel more natural.

dose

The reactions vary, sometimes he reacts quick and sometimes it seems his attention is on something else and then he reacts. Makes it feel more natural.
Not when the person on the left throws the ball high. The ball goes up then as it lands Trico's head follows it's path in the air, around a second later. That looks very unnatural.

Alx

Can this be supported with playstation eye? Should be right?

Yeah it seems to be attracted by motions and tracks spherical colored objects, those are standard features of the PSEye software, like what you can see in the Playroom.
I'm not sure it would be convenient for a home demo though (it needs to be calibrated so that it knows the size of the screen and its relative position to the camera... and you'd need a huge screen anyway :p).

UrbanRats

The game got too popular for TGS i assume.

If it's a short game like Ico (you can beat that game in like 2 hours) then you can't show much, unless you want to spoil the whole game.
So assume we'll see more of it (and perhaps get a release date) at PSX, which will have the biggest following, being in the US.

Schryver

The game got too popular for TGS i assume.

If it's a short game like Ico (you can beat that game in like 2 hours) then you can't show much, unless you want to spoil the whole game.
So assume we'll see more of it (and perhaps get a release date) at PSX, which will have the biggest following, being in the US.

ICO is a 5+ hour game but okay

stryke

Really nice, but there's a long delay between the movement of the ball and the Trico response.

They said they're using the in game AI, so I'm assuming it's something they quickly repurposed as a demo rather than specifically programmed to interact with real people as a projection.

Oh god, they are so going to make a VR thing with him...

Thank god I was not there, I would just sit and play with him until someone forced me out >.>

MrHoot

Considering they've been pretty pro at animal AI since shadow of the colossus, both with Agro and the colossus themselves, it comes off as no surprise.

AI is always one thing i really wanted to see progress through console generations instead of pure graphics. So i'm glad to see they're hard at work on that

wmlk

Considering they've been pretty pro at animal AI since shadow of the colossus, both with Agro and the colossus themselves, it comes off as no surprise.

AI is always one thing i really wanted to see progress through console generations instead of pure graphics. So i'm glad to see they're hard at work on that

I think with complex AI such as the what we're seeing with Trico, it would probably behave realistically. The problem with being realistic for video games is that it can sometimes cause tedium and that may turn people off entirely. For example, if they really want to make him behave like an actual animal, he may not always respond to whatever command you give him because that's how a real animal would act. I would think that there's a large possibility that Trico could behave erratically because that's what you would expect out of a real animal held in captivity.

BadWolf

I think with complex AI such as the what we're seeing with Trico, it would probably behave realistically. The problem with being realistic for video games is that it can sometimes cause tedium and that may turn people off entirely. For example, if they really want to make him behave like an actual animal, he may not always respond to whatever command you give him because that's how a real animal would act. I would think that there's a large possibility that Trico could behave erratically because that's what you would expect out of a real animal held in captivity.

Which is why they didn't want to run a live demo at E3, they couldn't predict how Trico would react.

wmlk

Which is why they didn't want to run a live demo at E3, they couldn't predict how Trico would react.

Yes, I think that may hurt the game's reception when it releases or it may turn off a few people who are on the fence. Personally, I'm all for it and this is what I expect from certain video games. It might frustrate some people I think, even though it's probably intended from Ueda.

BadWolf

Yes, I think that may hurt the game's reception when it releases or it may turn off a few people who are on the fence. Personally, I'm all for it and this is what I expect from certain video games. It might frustrate some people I think, even though it's probably intended from Ueda.

I don't think it will tbh, people will appreciate that kind of realism (everything about the creature just feels so natural and likable).

An E3 conference is a different story though since timing is crucial and they can't have unexpected things happen that might cause delay. They had no problems doing a live demo for journalists later, which had very positive impressions.

MrHoot

I think it'll be fine.

They stated that, at the beginning, Trico would act kinda independently because the bond between it and the boy isn't super solid. But as you progress through the game his reactions will become tighter and tighter.

Since the game's theme really seems to center around companionship and bonds, it makes sense. If they can craft a good story and level design around that theme, there shouldn't be a problem.

Although yeah, some people might be turned off. I mean it already happened after the rereveal, because some people jumped on the shadow of the colossus hype train without having even played it or Ico beforehand and were like "Wait, THAT's it ?" when the game was shown. It will be probably a slower game than most

Top Bottom