• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The little mermaid, chronicle of an established tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Peter Pan and Wendy had the lowest audience score for a Disney live action remake (13%) destroying the previous record set by Pinocchio (28%).

Do you think Little Mermaid has what it takes to surpass this new benchmark?

Thinking Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Marvel14

Banned
Think I need some help with some of this. Let me try to break it down:

1. SJWs shoving representation down everyone's throats I get. I hate how Rings of Power had "African origin" hobbits with no lore to explain it that credibly enriched Tolkien's world.

2. But I love how House of the Dragon has a dark skinned house who are related to the Targaryans. They look incredible with silver hair too and it is part of the author's original vision. Done right, having diverse casts can enrich a show.

3. The little mermaid is a fantasy non human creature so her colour is irrelevant. I love how otherworldly Halle Bailey looks in the role and she is beautiful. ( great voice too). But if credibility is your thing then it's more credible that she'd be darker skinned both because she's regularly exposed to sunlight and because sea creatures tend to be darker to blend in and be less visible to prey. The original little mermaid is patently ridiculous and sticks out like flourescent mouse in the nighttime. A shark would have taken care of her as a wee one.

4. So what I don't get is, how do you folk differentiate between a SJW/woke agenda and legitimate diverse casting? I'm willing to bet most of you cared less that white people played the lead roles in Prince of Persia, Gods of Egypt and Ghost in the Shell. But it seems that any and all diverse casting triggers some of you. The most ridiculous example was that Ghostbusters remake...some men totally lost their shit when frankly if they are going to remake a classic film they SHOULD mix it up otherwise you're just getting a facsimile of the original.

So when is diverse casting ok then? And when do you let the quality of the film itself dictate your opinion and not your SJW/woke hangups?

GymWolf

1. SJWs shoving representation down everyone's throats I get. I hate how Rings of Power had "African origin" hobbits with no lore to explain it that credibly enriched Tolkien's world.

2. But I love how House of the Dragon has a dark skinned house who are related to the Targaryans. They look incredible with silver hair too and it is part of the author's original vision. Done right, having diverse casts can enrich a show.

3. The little mermaid is a fantasy non human creature so her colour is irrelevant. I love how otherworldly Halle Bailey looks in the role and she is beautiful. ( great voice too). But if credibility is your thing then it's more credible that she'd be darker skinned both because she's regularly exposed to sunlight and because sea creatures tend to be darker to blend in and be less visible to prey. The original little mermaid is patently ridiculous and sticks out like flourescent mouse in the nighttime. A shark would have taken care of her as a wee one.

4. So what I don't get is, how do you folk differentiate between a SJW/woke agenda and legitimate diverse casting? I'm willing to bet most of you cared less that white people played the lead roles in Prince of Persia, Gods of Egypt and Ghost in the Shell. But it seems that any and all diverse casting triggers some of you. The most ridiculous example was that Ghostbusters remake...some men totally lost their shit when frankly if they are going to remake a classic film they SHOULD mix it up otherwise you're just getting a facsimile of the original.

So when is diverse casting ok then? And when do you let the quality of the film itself dictate your opinion and not your SJW/woke hangups?
The little mermaid is a danish story, this is why she was white.

I guess it's ok that black panther or any fictional african character must be black but it is ok to rape the original story and the original beloved version of ariel to adapt this soulles cashgrab to modern audiences...

We all know why they did this broh.

Last edited:

Goalus

It is OK when you're not changing established characters or story bits. Enriching the universe in line with the lore is very welcome, but race-swapping a well-established main character for virtue signalling purposes isn't. Blatant self-insertion of woke writers who care more about identity politics than telling a good story or developing a fictional world in line with its lore isn't welcome either.

DKehoe

It is OK when you're not changing established characters or story bits. Enriching the universe in line with the lore is very welcome, but race-swapping a well-established main character for virtue signalling purposes isn't. Blatant self-insertion of woke writers who care more about identity politics than telling a good story or developing a fictional world in line with its lore isn't welcome either.
There's gonna be a lot of people really mad that she doesn't dissolve into sea foam and is reborn as an air elemental at the end.

Last edited:

NickFire

4. So what I don't get is, how do you folk differentiate between a SJW/woke agenda and legitimate diverse casting?
The quality of the output typically tells you the answer. But it’s been a decade. We’re well past the point of fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Cyberpunkd

4. So what I don't get is, how do you folk differentiate between a SJW/woke agenda and legitimate diverse casting? I'm willing to bet most of you cared less that white people played the lead roles in Prince of Persia, Gods of Egypt and Ghost in the Shell..
Was the original animation with a white girl? Yes? Any Disney live action is a remake of an existing animated movie, so you should keep thing consistent.

Same for that black girl in jazz thing - live action shouldn’t have a white broad, the original was black. Oh wait, Disney will not remake that because no commercial potential fml.

Yes, I would care about Aladdin being a white bod more in a live remake than the animation because - hello BAGDAD. Middle-East is white now?

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
If the film is good, then no problem. But this is a remake. This is also a real life version of a disney movie that really should have stayed in animation. The best explanation that I can say is this: for new wiewers it may work. For old ones, and as a remake there will be a lot of them, all changes are a reason to complain. And Disney going full 3d for basically everything does not help. The fish is nightmare fuel. And Halle takes the brunt of a film that will not allow us to see her in water, but 3d most of the time.
A shark would have taken care of her as a wee one.
As a princess she should have bodygards then. Trying to put adult reflexions in a child movie is madness. This is what gives us the" the father is really going around" too, by the way.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

As I explain.

I like that it varies, as long as it is linked TO THE PLOT.

I don't like Disney's hypocrisy of putting forced characters in the PLOT, without fear of saying, in Pinocchio putting a character with a Disability is out of context in the plot.

Also... Putting a disabled dog in Strange world... What twisted mind came up with this?

AND THAT THE ORIGINAL SOURCE BE RESPECTED.

For me as much as they do Reboot, the Ghostbusters franchise has disappeared if the original characters of the 80s are not there. Without them, the franchise is not interesting.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
All I tried to respond with two points about intent and faithfulness to ip but mods deleted it for politics. Sorry about that.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Kilau

I’m not interested in any of these remakes but I wonder if they would have been better received as full CG remakes as opposed to these “live action” versions.

Tangled, Moana, Zootopia, Wreck It Ralph are all very good and good looking movies by Disney.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think it's pretty obvious when a story changes a historical setting or cast to some place or cast that is totally different. Disney movies are an example. Similarly if Boyz in the Hood had a new story based on White, Latino or Asian family struggling in a gang neighbourhood (hey, not every person in LA is black) it would be seen as something anti-Black stealing the spotlight from John Singleton's classic movie.

As some people say, "just make a new a story" if they want to massively change it up. But they cant because it's riskier to make a new IP than to take an existing popular franchise and change the story than add a new name.

Also, people will also look at demographics stats. When there's overrepresentation, it raises red flags of politics and pandering.

No different than when many companies change their logo to rainbow colours during Pride month (June). But the second July rolls around they change the logo back to normal. They do it for pandering pts. At the company I worked at 10 years ago, we did it too. But the company did absolutely nothing for Pride month. Not even a corporate sponsor, we heard nothing about the company supporting LGTB. The company didn't even set up a cheesy kiosk at the parade giving out samples. Zero.

I hope you guys who check out linkedin a lot dont assume that all the companies that change their logo to rainbow for a month means the company is gungho about supporting the cause. Just because the marketing assistant changed the logo can mean nothing within their walls except PR pts and the hope for more sales.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Frankly, I’d think we’d all due best to see how good the movie is. If the movie is good and they don’t push any kind of agenda ( which we can hope for) then does it matter? Actors literally have the job of being someone else.

I get the Disney hate, but maybe it will be ok? I think the first is great fun so maybe this will be too? Maybe?

Regardless, she shouldn’t have to deal with any kind of harassment ( which I haven’t heard about). I think we can all agree on that

Last edited:

kunonabi

Frankly, I’d think we’d all due best to see how good the movie is. If the movie is good and they don’t push any kind of agenda ( which we can hope for) then does it matter? Actors literally have the job of being someone else.

I get the Disney hate, but maybe it will be ok? I think the first is great fun so maybe this will be too? Maybe?

Regardless, she shouldn’t have to deal with any kind of harassment ( which I haven’t heard about). I think we can all agree on that
If the novelization changes holds true it's absolutely pushing an agenda.

CGNoire

I'm willing to bet most of you cared less that white people played the lead roles in Prince of Persia, Gods of Egypt and Ghost in the Shell.

Actually I and many others complained about all 3 of those.

Also its not about the casting its about the "Reasons" for it. Way less people would have complained if this wasnt part of a far larger pattern. Drasticly changing a established characters appearence (not just race) is always a bad idea and should be called out. Doubly so when there is an agenda behind it.

In the end I personally was never gonna watch this film reguardless.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Drop the race baiting posts and heavy insinuations.
Was the original animation with a white girl? Yes? Any Disney live action is a remake of an existing animated movie, so you should keep thing consistent.

Same for that black girl in jazz thing - live action shouldn’t have a white broad, the original was black. Oh wait, Disney will not remake that because no commercial potential fml.

Yes, I would care about Aladdin being a white bod more in a live remake than the animation because - hello BAGDAD. Middle-East is white now?

Also its not about the casting its about the "Reasons" for it. Way less people would have complained if this wasnt part of a far larger pattern. Drasticly changing a established characters appearence (not just race) is always a bad idea and should be called out. Doubly so when there is an agenda behind it.

I don't remember seeing anyone other than POC complaining about Gods of Egypt or Aladdin and the very white passing Princess Jasmine...

I think if your "race" isn't integral to the character (Like Bruce Wayne or Hal Jordan or Oliver Queen or T'Challa or Icon or Static or the cast of Aladdin, etc) or story, then it shouldn't matter what color the actor is.

And I'll stand by Bruce Wayne ALWAYS being white. Sure he could have a successor who isn't white, but BRUCE is white! Him being white is integral to his character and story. It doesn't work if he's a POC. Same for T'Challa.

In the original animated movie, Ariel is basically in the Caribbean... Not Norway or any European country... I mean Sebastian has a Jamaican accent. Come on. Ariel's skin color shouldn't be white .. another poster gave a good argument against that. And the Disney movie is almost NOTHING like the original story by Anderson... The broad beats are similar or the same but the specifics were disneyfied so as not to be nightmare fuel for kids. Because that story is DARK! That's why it's called "Disney's The Little Mermaid"... Not Hans Christian Anderson's The Little Mermaid.

You get what I'm saying?

taizuke

I think if your "race" isn't integral to the character (Like Bruce Wayne or Hal Jordan or Oliver Queen or T'Challa or Icon or Static or the cast of Aladdin, etc) or story, then it shouldn't matter what color the actor is.

Let's pretend The Last of Us HBO show had made Sam and Henry white, would you be ok with that? After all, Henry and Sam being black is not integral to their characters.

Marvel14

Banned

Already tried responding noting that intent was a good rationale for rejection. Protection/ faithfulness to IPs not so much. Hopefully Mods don't delete this post.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Let's pretend The Last of Us HBO show had made Sam and Henry white, would you be ok with that? After all, Henry and Sam being black is not integral to their characters.
Haven't seen it yet. No interest in seeing that show. So I don't care.

taizuke

I don't watch it so I don't give a fuck. I don't know the characters. I never played the game.

I wasn't trying to get a "gotcha" moment from you. I just would like people to be consistent. If you (as in everyone) truly believe that if a character's race is not integral to who they are, that they can be race swapped, then this must apply to minority characters as well.

Batiman

Banned
I wasn't trying to get a "gotcha" moment from you. I just would like people to be consistent. If you (as in everyone) truly believe that if a character's race is not integral to who they are, that they can be race swapped, then this must apply to minority characters as well.
There’s a difference though no? Hollywood would make you think all of America was white until recently. They are correcting. The problem is they are over correcting. We’ve never been short on white characters.

Like for a example, take the new Spider-Man’s for example. They’ve added a lot of diversity in the cast to make Queens a lot more realistic. People find an issue with that when really the originals were the ones way off. What high school in queens is 99% white people?

The over correcting is just a phase and the free market will balance it out eventually

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
There’s a difference though no? Hollywood would make you think all of America was white until recently. They are correcting. The problem is they are over correcting. We’ve never been short on white characters.

Like for a example, take the new Spider-Man’s for example. They’ve added a lot of diversity in the cast to make Queens a lot more realistic. People find an issue with that when really the originals were the ones way off. What high school in queens is 99% white people?

The over correcting is just a phase and the free market will balance it out eventually

This poster speaks for me

And I'll stand by Bruce Wayne ALWAYS being white. Sure he could have a successor who isn't white, but BRUCE is white! Him being white is integral to his character and story. It doesn't work if he's a POC. Same for T'Challa.
I can't say that I agree with this. Personally, I think it would make more sense to have a black Bruce Wayne with his traditional personality, rather than the white reclusive emo bitch we got in the latest movie.

There's no reason Bruce Wayne needs to be white, other than to keep an established character the same. And that's not a reason why keeping the character the same needs to happen, but it's probably a reason why keeping the character the same should happen. Bruce Wayne could be black, and Luke Cage could be white, but what is the point? Why change an established character, when you can just make a new character?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom