• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The little mermaid, chronicle of an established tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
She is. Just not in what we have seen of this film. I never saw Uma thurman as pretty until I saw her in a clip of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. The same is happening to me here.

The film that made me think of Uma as pretty was "My Super Ex-Girlfriend"...

Halle is a really pretty girl... I can't see her as an ADULT because I've seen her a kid since she and her sister started on YouTube doing covers ... I see her sister CHLOE as an adult tho.... Weird.

badblue

"Kiss the Girl," have received updated lyrics so that it’s clear to viewers that Prince Eric would never "force himself on Ariel."

Um... where is it in the original song that Eric is even implied that he's "forcing himself on Ariel" in any fashion? My take is that Sebastian is singing Erics internal thoughs about Ariel and he doesn't know if he should take a chance and kiss her or not. At the point in the movie where this song takes place, Ariel WANTS Eric to kiss her but Eric is too nervous to do that even though he wants to. She leans in to kiss him and he get a nervous look and backs off.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Um... where is it in the original song that Eric is even implied that he's "forcing himself on Ariel" in any fashion? My take is that Sebastian is singing Erics internal thoughs about Ariel and he doesn't know if he should take a chance and kiss her or not. At the point in the movie where this song takes place, Ariel WANTS Eric to kiss her but Eric is too nervous to do that even though he wants to. She leans in to kiss him and he get a nervous look and backs off.

It's current year overcompensating batshit insanity, that's what.

Xenon

When you pay people 6 figure salaries to find problematic material in movies they're remaking. They are going to find some. And the saddest part is they probably actually believe it's true.

Disney is under no illusions as to her appearance. This is a dialectical attempt to deconstruct and reengineer western beauty standards. It is about as subtle as “Brawndo’s got what plants crave.”:

Ariel is beautiful.
This actress is Ariel.
Therefore this actress is beautiful.
but she is not fat.

GymWolf

Dumb move. This will annoy people that love the original enough to not go see the movie vs. the 17 blue-haired keyboard warriors that were not going to go see it anyway. Plus, Disney puts Lizzo in a Star Wars bounty hunter show, and doesn't cast her as Ursala??!!!
What?

Lol i'm glad that i didn't continued watching that show...

Smokken

Banned
Curious OP do you have a Disney plus account? If so will you cancel it?

I realize ppl who have an opinion on modern Disney are subscribers. You give up any opinion who have when you are a subscriber. Even if you were to not watch a film like the
Little mermaid you still contribute financially monthly to Disney to create it.
People still pay to watch stuff? Private torrents have been a thing for 20+ years now.

Sensitive audiences? More like uncreative idiots with money insensitive to the nuances of face to face interaction. Insensitive to what the ENTIRE MOVIE has been building towards with Ariel's desires. Why not just cancel the movie because a girl's giving up everything for a man she hardly knows? Escapist fiction, it's so toxic amirite? It's like these people don't even understand how humans work, don't understand story dynamics, and yet here they are, sticking their hand into 8 figure movie productions and thinking they're doing audiences a favor.

The "poor unfortunate souls" rewrite completely ignores the context of the story: Ursula is the devil and she wants Arial to sign away her voice so she'll use scaremongering tactics, say stereotypical shit that maybe women fear about men to get it. Nothing she says should be taken for truth. If you think the villain's seduction song is something to live your life by, you're probably fucked anyway. Clown world, every single day with these people

It sucks that this even needs to be pointed out.

DKehoe

She is. Just not in what we have seen of this film. I never saw Uma thurman as pretty until I saw her in a clip of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. The same is happening to me here.

Same here. She looked the part of Aphrodite.
GleefulIllKitfox-size_restricted.gif

SJRB

Gold Member
You know Disney has another banger on their hands when no one is even remotely interested in this movie and the only thing that's being discussed is the main actress' physical appearance and how fundamentally wrong and unsettling the live action animals look compared to their animated counterparts.

A bottomless race to the bottom. Next up: Moana.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Found the new lyrics

There you see her
Sitting there across the way
She don't got a lot to say
But there's something about her
And you don't know why
But you're dying to try
You wanna kiss the girl

Yes, you want her
Look at her, you know you do
but don't forget about #metoo
It don't take a word
Not a single word
for them to say you harass the girl

Sing with me now
Sha-la-la-la-la-la
My oh my
Without consent notarized
Ain't gonna kiss the girl
Sha-la-la-la-la-la
Ain't that sad?
Ain't it a shame?
Too bad, he gonna miss the girl

Now's your moment (ya, ya, ya)
Floating in a blue lagoon (ya, ya, ya)
Boy, present the consent form soon
No time will be better (ya, ya, ya, ya, ya, ya)
She don't say a word
And she won't say a word
Until get explicit written, notarized and independently verified binding legal consent, to kiss the girl

Sha-la-la-la-la-la
You better scared (sha-la, sha-la-la ya, ya, ya)
Without that form prepared (woah, woah)
Go to jail if you kiss the girl
Sha-la-la-la-la-la
Don't look, just bow (sha-la, sha-la-la ya, ya, ya)
Don't try to approach her now
You don't wanna harass the girl (woah, woah)
Sha-la-la-la-la-la
Move along (sha-la, sha-la-la)
listen to twitter's right and wrong
They say you harass the girl (woah, woah)
Sha-la-la-la-la-la
The twitter mob bray (ya, ya, ya, ya, ya, ya)
Do what the twitter mob say
You gotta identify as the girl
You've got to be the girl
Oh, don't you wanna be the girl
You've gotta be the girl

Another movie that might cost Disney hundreds of millions.

I'm guessing production is probably around $100 million (a conservative estimate), plus marketing around $100 million (another conservative estimate). So for a low estimate, lets say production and marketing comes to around $200 million. The general rule of thumb is that the producers/studios need to make around 2.5-3 times of the total cost to turn a profit, because usually theaters usually take half the profits. Let's just say the movie needs to make around $600 million to turn a healthy profit.

BlackTron

Disney: lyrics with a kiss between boy and girl? Outrageous, you have to sign a contract first.
Also Disney: Ariel married at 15? No hay problema.

They can change her age in each territory depending on the local age of consent.

Like when we had regional Star Wars posters.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

The unfortunate inheritance that Chapek left.

Disney do you want to destroy your movie?

i think we all know what is going to happen here, it is going to bomb and Disney and their shills are going to twist themselves in knots to come up with reasons why

They’re just gonna sit on “it’s cuz Ariel is black now, everyone is racist”.

Last edited:

BlackTron

They’re just gonna sit on “it’s cuz Ariel is black now, everyone is racist”.
It would be funny if for every historically white character switched black, a black one was switched white. Let's take a tale from African folklore and make a movie out of it with a white protagonist.

Not really of course, then we would just be fighting over equality of slights hurled at each other.

Spyxos

How does this keep getting worse and worse? Is her head just pasted onto CG body because it looks really weird. It's also criminal how little attention is being paid how she should be moving and reacting. It's like they just let her wing it in front of a green screen or something. It's just so lazy.
I don't think she looks that bad. But the crab does not work at all.

edit: I looked at it again. And yes the movements look a bit strange.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

So glad they fixed the mistakes of the past in this new version:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom