• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 at PSX - Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

Linkyn

I want to give the Order the benefit of the doubt, but it's really like they're trying to make the game look boring. Please, for all that is good in this world, if there are more impressive gameplay segments, show them off RaD.

charsace

Gears of War was never designed with multiplayer in mind. The original didn't have a competitive game mode until the final few months of development when, just two people created it from scratch.

Epic are the masters of wrapping arcadey gameplay in a triple-A skin.

I've been a big supporter of 1886 from the beginning and haven't had a problem with any previous showing, but it was incredibly poor tonight. 10 second clip, fumbled kitchen combat, then a mini-melee segment. Shocking.

The story mode for Gears always had multiplayer as a design goal. And as time has gone on the series has expanded to be 4 player coop. Epic didn't just throw multiplayer into the story mode a few months before going gold.

Smokey

Based off work in progress, lol

And people are judging The Order which is also a work in progress, "lol". What's the difference?

You are missing the complexity to the level design they showed in UC4. It was much more open, and traversal, combat, and environmental interaction were integrated in a way that far surpassed what we've seen in previous Uncharted games. Of course it looks and plays like you would expect Uncharted to, as it is an Uncharted game. And they have a year to keep improving the graphics.

Yep they have some time. I'm sure this isn't the only type of environment we'll see from The Order either.

anddo0

Amazing looking game.
The gameplay looks solid enough. I wouldn't call it boring. It's just not anything groundbreaking.

Raptor

They did made adjustments to the gunplay here, looks more like TLOU and I love that.

Im back in for this one.

jwhit28

What good is the setting when we just get to see a duck and cover gunfight in what looks like a modern kitchen?

StuBurns

Banned
PSX was bad, but this was the shocking low point. This game truly looks awful. I'm done with benefit-of-the-doubt and wait-for-next-showing shit. Every time the hope has been that when they show the gameplay, it'll impress and the cinematic stuff won't matter, but no, terrible.

Altima

Expected the same grade of Uncharted 4 graphic. This make me disappoint a bit.

Anyway, I have already preordered this game because there are only 2 interesting games in February which are this game and the Witcher 3.

I do not judge it yet. It is only two minutes gameplay.

And people are judging The Order which is also a work in progress, "lol". What's the difference?

The Order comes out in about two months and it looks less impressive every time they show it.

Uncharted 4 is almost a year away, they've already shown more uncut gameplay footage than they've shown for The Order and it already looks fantastic. I'd say that's a big difference.

vin-buc

How many stealth sections has he played in a 30 minute demo? Some folks want to hate this so bad - is it because the graphics look phenomenal? I can't wait for this but I'm expecting it to get trashed on meta critic because it isn't "fun" and other things. To each his own.

Gamer345

Banned

Yep they have some time. I'm sure this isn't the only type of environment we'll see from The Order either.

And they are wrong, doesnt mean you should do the same

Smokey

The Order comes out in about two months and it looks less impressive every time they show it.

Uncharted 4 is almost a year away, they've already shown more uncut gameplay footage than they've shown for The Order and it already looks fantastic. I'd say that's a big difference.

Opinions and all. If you prefer the Uncharted series that's fine. But there was nothing ground breaking in the footage shown today. Besides swinging from a tree with a rope. Drake is still a bullet sponge, can still leap across large gaps and grasp on to ledges, and still has quirky one liners.

Loudninja

IGN like it

The Order quickly develops a rhythm hereafter, however. The zeppelin, named Agamemnon, is vast, and there's a ton of space to explore. Everything is delivered linearly -- there are no alternate routes or choices to be made -- yet I felt a true sense of exploration as I poked my head into rooms and around corners, waiting to see what was next. I especially dug some of the collectible documents strewn about the zeppelin, including a newspaper and a government document. These collectibles are wonderfully detailed and can be fully examined, front-and-back. It was cool to read a piece of the newspaper's front page, and flip over a piece of paper to see a government stamp adorning it. Little touches like these make the world of The Order feel more lived in, more realistic.
Getting to use a wide array of firearms -- sniper rifles, pistols, machineguns, and the like -- showed-off a diverse, yet familiar arsenal. Enemies seemed a bit spongy to me, especially when I used my pistol (some enemies wouldn't even die when I shot them in the head), but I found combat to be satisfying. I'm a tad bit mystified by The Order's insistence on making you hold down a button for a couple of seconds to pick up a gun -- and even ammunition! -- but overall, I enjoyed toggling between firearms, blasting fools from up close with the spray of a shotgun, taking shots from safety with a scoped sniper rifle, and then cleaning up with the spitfire of an automatic weapon.

One especially cool battle took place in a kitchen, with copper pots and pans hanging all over the place, awaiting their next use. As enemies hid behind stoves, ovens, and counters, those pots and pans went flying as they became casualties of a brutal and violent battle between rebel forces and The Order. For having taken place entirely on one zeppelin, this slice of 1886's campaign showed an impressive diversity of environments, from tight, mundane corridors to ornately decorated lobbies to the aircraft's underbelly. I had a lot of fun exploring, even if I wasn't choosing where to go next, and even if I did have to grapple with unfortunate QTEs, particularly in the cockpit of the zeppelin.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/06/psx-2014-attacking-and-crashing-a-zeppelin-in-the-order-1886

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Bullshit, I never expected this from the game. Fun? God damn devs.

I hope this is the norm with the new demo, and certainly hope it's not as closed as the trailer showed.
When does the Last of Us has insta fail stealth sections?

It's kind of insta fail when Clickers can grab you and kill you instantly. But that's is you let them get you, in some cases it's inevitable. But it's definitely not a flaw of the game.

watchdog

I'm hoping they're really holding back on revealing other types of enemies and gameplay sequences because that looked pretty underwhelming. Based off of what I saw I feel like the environments are just missing interactivity. Yeah, there were some pots and pans flying around but that was about it. Put some bottles, glasses, cans, or boxes of produce on those tables so that stuff can be blown to pieces.

steven28

Insta fail stealth section? Hmm
https://twitter.com/TheSteveBurnio/status/541329133490688001
ibcuE0IW0MWYbj.png

i hate burns

Hypron

I failed often with Clickers (when I didn't have enough shivs).

It's not insta fail though, you can out run them and hide again.

It's kind of insta fail when Clickers can grab you and kill you instantly. But that's is you let them get you, in some cases it's inevitable. But it's definitely not a flaw of the game.

Yeah but you have some agency. You can blow their brains out, stab them while they try to grab you, run away... There are about 3 sections in the game that I think of where that's really hard to do but it's still not like "you've been spotted, MISSION FAILED".

The story mode for Gears always had multiplayer as a design goal. And as time has gone on the series has expanded to be 4 player coop. Epic didn't just throw multiplayer into the story mode a few months before going gold.

Are we discussing co-op or competitive multiplayer?

UrbanRats

PSX was bad, but this was the shocking low point. This game truly looks awful. I'm done with benefit-of-the-doubt and wait-for-next-showing shit. Every time the hope has been that when they show the gameplay, it'll impress and the cinematic stuff won't matter, but no, terrible.

Yup.
This game just screams mediocrity.
It would've impressed 7 years ago, but chest high walls with NOTHING else? And the cinematic stuff wasn't even that impressive compared to Uncharted or Last of Us, which offer more interesting gameplay at the same time.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

What did you think was so bad about it? I'm genuinely curious because it seemed fine to me.

Specifically what were you hoping to see, that it failed to deliver upon?

OsirisBlack

Banned
When does the Last of Us has insta fail stealth sections?

Everyone already answered the question you asked me but there is a particular part nearing the end of the game where there are multiple clickers I play on the hardest levels. Seen = Insta Fail.

Was that YouTube making the framerate look so bad in the cover shooting video? It looked really rough.

The melee werewolf battle looked incredibly scripted yet again. I honestly don't know what to think of this game.

StuBurns

Banned
Yup.
This game just screams mediocrity.
It would've impressed 7 years ago, but chest high walls with NOTHING else? And the cinematic stuff wasn't even that impressive compared to Uncharted or Last of Us, which offer more interesting gameplay at the same time.
That was the other thing, how the fuck do you show UC4 at the same event as this? And not only that, but you show UC4 first? Truly insane decision.
What did you think was so bad about it? I'm genuinely curious because it seemed fine to me.

Specifically what were you hoping to see, that it failed to deliver upon?
I guess I'd have to reverse the question, what was good about it? The movement is janky as fuck, really awful animation work, the encounter design looked shit, the weapons don't look fun to use, the environment looked boring and cramped, the aspect ratio was irritating. On every way we measure the quality of a game, it looked poor.

Oh, and that melee bit, wow man, I can't even begin...

The single player. Why would I be talking about the PvP modes when the order has no PvP, only PvE?

Apologies. I've never seen anyone refer to co-op as multiplayer (even though it could be classed under than umbrella for sure) in the Gears of War community. Ignore my post.

Fbh

Last chance they had to make this look interesting and it still looks like an incredibly bland TPS with amazing graphics.

I fully agree with the guy on the first page saying it looks like Gears -fun

I'm referring to the original UC4 reveal that looked too good to be true, but ND insisted was real time on PS4. Not to mention the footage was running at 30fps when they said it would be at 60. Yes it's still in development etc etc but i was disappointed.

It was in real time.
A real time video is just not the same as GAMEPLAY. If you can't understand the difference prepare to keep being dissapointed over and over again by many games in the future

The ones saying it's boring will be the 1st to pick up a new gears or any 3rd person shooter lol

I'd pick up the new gears (if it somehow comes to PC) because of the incredibly fun local and online co-op in story mode, the endlessly fun local and online co-op Horde mode and the fun online multiplayer.
On top of a single player that, from what I've seen of The Order, would probably be superior with more and better weapons, more enemy variety and more varied gameplay design

BadAss2961

Hyperbole.

PSX was far from bad, it was just overhyped.

The Order looks far from awful, it just looks standard in terms of post-RE4 third person shooters. Visually, it's extremely impressive. The setting, concept, and story are all interesting, which is what will make or break this game.

That shotgun looks menacing, holy crap! Definitely hoping for a hard mode.

The melee section looks really good to me, is it controlled with the right stick? Looked like a deul where reading his animations is critical.

Lemondish

Everyone already answered the question you asked me but there is a particular part nearing the end of the game where there are multiple clickers I play on the hardest levels. Seen = Insta Fail.

Good thing you came up with a scenario to show that the stealth sections in TLoU were insta-fail. I shudder to think what would have happened if you didn't grasp at straws fast enough.

Jonm1010

Banned
Ill say it again, this is the new Tomb Raider. An irrational hatred spewing from early footage and PR statements that didn't align with expectations and created backlash that has led to an ever increasing tidal wave of negativity.

For what ultimately looks like will be a graphical showcase with polished gameplay using safe and proven game mechanics injected with some interesting setpieces and a forgettable story. Much like Tomb Raider.

Top Bottom