• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 at PSX - Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

Conduit

Banned
This look nice :

order_1337224b.png

I still have full faith this game is going to be great. The story, setting, graphics , music , everything should come together for an awesome experience.

But god they have had the most abysmal marketing ever. What the fuck are they thinking over there. They have all these amazing graphical resources, and the stage demo they show is a 1 minute shoot out in a FUCKING KITCHEN? Instead of showing the London city streets come to life, the horror elements, the story elements, they keep shoving the shooting element in our face in the weakest environment. I understand there's a 30 minute demo, and hopefully that's great, but the stage is your chance to show the world watching your game . They need a stellar launch trailer, cause they are fucking this hype up, and I'd like for this game to sell well.

Shredderi

Not exactly the most exciting TPS shooting I've seen (spent a pretty long time behind that one counter). I want this to be amazing. I really do. They have the setting, the visuals but they just can't deliver on fun looking action for me. Some people like what they're seeing so more power to those but I can't get excited with this. Maybe some uber cool stuff will emerge from the 30 min demo.

Burns guy expanded on the insta-fail in a preview on the Videogamer site

For example: in order to kill sentries with your insane, Paul Hogan-shaming blade, players don't just sneak up behind them and hit Triangle. Instead, the game requires you to jump through the hoops of timing-based QTEs. Some of these aim to add a bit of flavour to proceedings, slowing down time and tasking you with finding the right part of a wall to smash someone's face into. Most don't bother. They're not particularly difficult, but are made incredibly annoying by the fact that, should you fail, your character instantly dies via cutscene. There's no chance to atone for mistakes, despite the fact that you may very well still be in an advantageous position. If you mess it up, the guard is alerted and you die. See ya.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/the_order_1886/preview-3836.html

Loudninja

Heh looks like this guy wanted constant action, but its really is sounded good so far.
This action section is a genuinely entertaining piece of third-person blasting. Rebels pour into the room, the dignitaries flee, and I pop some heads. After sniping a group of baddos, I sprint down into the main room, and use a meaty-feeling pistol to dispatch enemies at close range. One of them drops a Three Crown Shotgun, which (I discover) fires three shells in one blast. Oh my. There's a feature called 'Blacksight', which is essentially bullet-time, so I use this to slam several enemies into the next century (in slow-mo) via a triple-blast of shot to their faces. Amusingly, most rebels are wearing jaunty hats, which a careful player can snipe off, forcing them to shout “Bloody hell” and cower behind cover.
For me, this action sequence is all too brief. After only a few minutes, I'm pushing forwards to progress the plot again. Another glorious story scene, and a second action sequence follows shortly after. This time I'm in the zeppelin’s mess-hall, shooting enemies in between the pots and pans. Again, the action feels super-satisfying, as I frag humans and kitchenware alike using a steampunk heavy machine gun (with a pleasingly powerful air-blast secondary shot). But it's over too soon. I want more, but the demo ends.

So, I'm left feeling a weird mixture of delight and deflation by The Order. To stress this again: the game looks fucking amazing. And when you do actually fight, the action is enjoyable thanks to some tight third-person controls and a decent selection of guns. But... everything I've seen so far suggests that the balance is wrong. There's too much hanging around, following button prompts and walking slowly through impressive-looking levels. Look, I'm so desperate to have my doubts crushed utterly by the final game, and I'm keen to stress that I've only seen about 30 minutes total of the whole thing. I want The Order 1886 to be this perfectly-balanced mixture of compelling plot moments, meaty stealth-kills, and breathless action sequences. Will it turn out that way? We'll find out in Feb. For now, just check out how fucking amazing it looks and pray that the gameplay backs up these visuals.
http://www.gamesradar.com/order-1886-looks-unbelievably-good-how-does-it-play/

Loudninja

Man he seems to really like it though other than the instant fail section which I have zero problem with.

It's a shame, because once the gunplay starts The Order immediately becomes about five thousand times better. It's your standard third-person cover shooter, but little details help it stand out. While some artistic license has been taken with the weapons, with full auto and alternate fires present (as well as a slo-mo targeting mechanic), they often feel old and not especially solid, spewing bullets everywhere. They resonate with brute force, backed up with over the top ragdoll death animations. Blind-firing around or over cover is satisfying, especially when you blast enemies that are rushing to flank you. There's a genuine tension here missing elsewhere: your character is vulnerable, and the game encourages movement and dashing to pick up enemy weapons.

Even so, there are issues. The section I played had me killing dudes for what seemed like forever, until they stopped spawning out of whichever cupboard they were all hiding in. Grenade spam was also a problem, but when the game cut loose, requiring players to fight through a kitchen to proceed, it was a lot of fun.

Rembrandt

Banned

uh, didn't they say before that not failing qtes wouldn't end in death but rather give you new ones and be dynamic or something?

Man he seems to really like it though other than the instant fail section which I have zero problem with.

that gameplay teaser today definitely didn't show that. they stayed behind cover for a long time.

Finally some positive impressions!!

I really really hope this game is good. And by the looks of things, it's gonna be a great "story" game.

Love what I've seen so far. Pre ordering

Vire

The difference in level design between this and the Uncharted demo is staggering. In The Order demo we are "treated" to a incomprehensibly linear shootout in a dinky kitchen that basically has the layout of a few hallways on a flat grid. This is honestly the most exciting encounter you could come up with for a press conference? What the hell is this 1997?
This isn't even mentioning the fact that the camera snaps awkwardly as the player goes in and out of cover and that camera movement in general seems incredibly jerky.

In the Uncharted demo, there are multiple levels of verticality, different angles to attack from and a feeling of a three dimensional sandbox to explore. Drake can use his environment around him as a tool for stealth encounters and enemy AI appear more intelligent as they communicate with each other to try and suss out the player's last known position. Countless contextual animations also give the combat a smooth and cinematic presentation without taking away control from the player.

It's like RAD has learned absolutely nothing from shooters in the last decade.

Incredibly beautiful game.

I just don't see £40+ worth of value in the gameplay thus far. Looks quite humdrum.

I'm going to have to wait for reviews on this one. Won't be re-preordering.

Hypron

Everyone already answered the question you asked me but there is a particular part nearing the end of the game where there are multiple clickers I play on the hardest levels. Seen = Insta Fail.

Are you referring to the area with the 2 bloaters?

And does hardest setting = grounded or survivor? 'Cause you can kill them all in survivor. I haven't tried on grounded but anyway that mode wasn't even part of the original game so using it to say that the game has insta fail sections is laughable.

Danielsan

Based on the clip during the show it seems like a cookie cutter last gen third person shooter with the most gorgeous looking graphics applied.

charsace

Apologies. I've never seen anyone refer to co-op as multiplayer (even though it could be classed under than umbrella for sure) in the Gears of War community. Ignore my post.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Looking at my posts again I can see how it was confusing.

On the topic of this thread, The Order looks to be similar to stuff like Heavy Rain in that they are focused on the game being a cinematic experience first.

Sadly is going to be a Gamefly rental for me, but I'll definitely be a great rental nonetheless and even better since it release on a Friday! I might buy once it's on sale, depending on how good it is.

DieH@rd

Banned
Visually looks stunning, world looks well conceived, gameplay looks to be standard.

Same can be said for Wolfenstein TNO [without stunning visuals], which managed to become one of my favorite games of this year. I am still hopeful that Order will end up being fun and interesting. I guess we will find out in little less than 4 months.

Smokey

The difference in level design between this and the Uncharted demo is staggering. In The Order demo we are "treated" to a incomprehensibly linear shootout in a dinky kitchen that basically has the layout of a few hallways on a flat grid. This is honestly the most exciting encounter you could come up with for a press conference? What the hell is this 1997?
This isn't even mentioning the fact that the camera snaps awkwardly as the player goes in and out of cover and that camera movement in general seems incredibly jerky.

In the Uncharted demo, there are multiple levels of verticality, different angles to attack from and a feeling of a three dimensional sandbox to explore. Drake can use his environment around him as a tool for stealth encounters and enemy AI appear more intelligent as they communicate with each other to try and suss out the player's last known position. Countless contextual animations also give the combat a smooth and cinematic presentation without taking away control from the player.

So should every TPS be open ended? This particular part was in a kitchen. We don't know what the rest of game holds and that could be a point of contention depending on what you expect from pre release news. There's nothing revolutionary about UC4. Drake is still somehow an ordinary guy but yet a super hero.

I don't get when linearity became such a terrible thing. Not every game has to be open world, or faux open ended. I think they really need to just get this out into the hands of people which it looks like they are finally doing.

Honestly not even a fan of Uncharted and I still agree with this.

Fucking amazing how it wasn't that long ago that someone was telling me the "haters" are just scared of how super duper original this game is.

StuBurns

Banned
So should every TPS be open ended? This particular part was in a kitchen. We don't know what the rest of game holds and that could be a point of contention depending on what you expect from pre release news. There's nothing revolutionary about UC4. Drake is still somehow an ordinary guy but yet a super hero.

I don't get when linearity became such a terrible thing. Not every game has to be open world, or faux open ended. I think they really need to just get this out into the hands of people which it looks like they are finally doing.
I can't believe people are still saying this. They are choosing what to show, not Vire. Why should anyone take it for granted there are more significant areas with more interesting encounter design? In two and a half years they've never shown anything to suggest that, and we're two months off submission. That game is essentially done at this point.

Loudninja

I'm glad we are getting some positive press reactions. I hope we get to see the whole demo
I think gamespot are the only ones who didn't like it.
This would all be somewhat forgivable if the shooting itself was especially exciting, which sadly, it wasn't. The feeble weapons and slightly iffy cover-system didn't make the shooting bad as such, but after running through the corridors of that airship, trying to chase down a rebel assailant while fighting off a stream of armed guards, The Order so far just wasn't hitting the tight, mechanical joys of say a Gears Of War, or a Vanquish. Maybe the drive of the story (obviously not part of an isolated demo) will be enough to push players through the combat. Certainly, I want there to be more to The Order: 1886 than what I've seen so far, because it really is a beautiful thing to behold. A lot of love has been poured into those visuals, let's just hope by the time it sees release the same can be said for the rest of it.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/is-the-order-1886-a-case-of-style-over-substance/1100-6424004/

PBY

Banned
Visually looks stunning, world looks well conceived, gameplay looks to be standard.

Same can be said for Wolfenstein TNO [without stunning visuals], which managed to become one of my favorite games of this year. I am still hopeful that Order will end up being fun and interesting. I guess we will find out in little less than 4 months.

Wolfenstein is like the total opposite of what weve seen though? gameplay focused, open ended levels...

More of a shooter than Uncharted and yet U4 trumps them on gunplay, animations and CINEMATICS.

Games were excessively linear because of the limitations of the previous-gen's capabilities. The transition to HD did not help matters even further. Why do you think so many games this gen are far more open-ended and wider than before? It's because it's the evolution of game design based around the capabilities of better hardware. Corridor levels are done, outdated and clearly hampered by the technology it was built upon. Also, we're not talking about open-world here, only giving players a lot more room to interact with without getting stale. The fact that The Order: 1886 is so behind in terms of level design speaks volumes of their talent.

uh, didn't they say before that not failing qtes wouldn't end in death but rather give you new ones and be dynamic or something?

Yup, it would be branching QTE or melee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfHUvthiwBI#t=8m08s
“For example our QTEs will sometimes have branching where you might fail which does not mean you might fail the sequence, it just means it goes on a different path. So that allows people to play the game…the same exact sequence in multiple different ways and see multiple different endings. It’s not just pressing about a button, it’s also about choosing what you want to do…for example the last move we showed the player grabbing the knife and killing the rebel but in the game you will see there are multiple choices and different ways to achieve the same goal,” he said.​

http://gamingbolt.com/ready-at-dawn...nt-go-crazy-by-including-it-every-3-4-minutes
There are many kinds of QTEs. There are really compelling ones at the end of a boss battle or just a melee encounter which makes it more gratifying and gives it some branches which are really fun

“Then there are some little things like opening a door and things like that. There are plenty in the game, as many as necessary but we don’t go crazy like “Oh! It’s been 4 minutes, we don’t have a QTE, we need a QTE, ahh! What are we gonna do?!” It’s not like that. We tried to place them in compelling manners that users can really enjoy,” he said to GamingBolt.​
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-18-how-the-order-reinvents-qtes
This isn't a QTE, though - or, rather, that's not what developer Ready at Dawn is calling it. In their parlance it's "branching melee", whereby failure at any stage in the process simply sends you down another path. The knife isn't the only option open to Galahad, and the fight can be concluded in many more ways.​

VanWinkle

The scope of this game seems so tiny, and I really didn't think it was going to be that way. With each new bit of video, it's just a tiny interior or corridor or alley, and everything feels so...small. I remember that one piece of concept art that looked like gameplay out in the bustling streets, and THAT got me so insanely excited (along with the original trailer), but that isn't the feel of the game at all. It feels like a tiny cover-based shooter with no inventive mechanics or things to make it stand out other than the visuals and setting.

It's looking like one of the biggest disappointments of any game in years for me. You may say that I haven't seen enough of the game yet, but it was revealed a year and a half ago, and we've seen gameplay several times, and what we've seen has all been tight claustrophobic environments with no sense of scale, and I have a hard time believing they would withhold showing something like in the concept art below if something like that was actually in the game.

I
The_Order_1886_Concept_Art_01.jpg

because it isn't uncharted and it isn't trying to be uncharted?

Smokey

More of a shooter than Uncharted and yet U4 trumps them on gunplay, animations and CINEMATICS.

Games were excessively linear because of the limitations of the previous-gen's capabilities. The transition to HD did not help matters even further. Why do you think so many games this gen are far more open-ended and wider than before? It's because it's the evolution of game design based around the capabilities of better hardware. Corridor levels are done, outdated and clearly hampered by the technology it was built upon. Also, we're not talking about open-world here, only giving players a lot more room to interact with without getting stale. The fact that The Order: 1886 is so behind in terms of level design speaks volumes of their talent.

So now Ready at Dawn are not talented

lol

Everytime they show this game I get more and more underwhelmed. Probably from my own expectations but the gameplay theyve shown so far has never looked all that interesting to me.

The graphics look great and the guns are punchy and powerful but gameplay looks like something I wouldnt enjoy

I agree with everything you just said but I think Vire makes some good points as well.

The fact that games aren't allowed to take place in a small space anymore is ironically limiting the medium, not advancing it. There is NOTHING wrong with a game having a fightout in a kitchen, or a hallway. These things exist in the real world and we should shy away from them to accommodate the same type of gameplay found in millions of games.

With that said, the fact that you pop your head out so willy nilly and there isn't much consequence or the fact that the AI is essentially identical to what we've seen since last gen and probably earlier is where this game falters.

You take the same scene, same guns, but you make the AI really go after you, show some form of life, make the battle intense but requiring wits, and now the game is exciting.

Why haven't they shown a single part of the game that takes place in an open space with NPCs walking around like they showed in screenshots a long time ago? It's two months from release, they need to be showing more of their hand if they've got anything.

I'm convinced they need to show some slow exploration, npc interaction, and perhaps light puzzle solving to change the perception of the game. The game is a shooter, we get it, but what else is there? Show us the amazing city for christs sake.

This
I've been waiting for this for awhile now and it still hasn't come.

Hopefully some people can post floor impressions from PSX?

Top Bottom