• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 at PSX - Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

Gamer345

Banned
As if some of the more positive people couldn't do the same thing.

They could, but be honest, which generic statements mostly appear for this game anytime a footage is shown, do you actually see negative constructive statements??

I see positive constructive statements, with whats to like and whats not to like

charsace

People say it looks like Gears because it's the closest thing it compares to in terms of gameplay.

The Order definitely looks more tanky though.

The speed of both games look similar, but not for the same reasons. Gears looks to be a similar speed because the enemies take more damage and at times Epic would throw a ton of them at you. Also, Gears is built with multiplayer in mind for all the modes which is why the enemies are made with the intention of taking time to kill.

The Order looks slow because general movement seems to be slower and the game focuses more on being cinematic. The melee for regular enemies show this off the contrast most of all. In Gears the melee is quicker than what they are doing in the Order. Every melee in this game goes into an elaborate animation.

The gameplay was NOT boring.

But it was nothing special.

Neither good nor bad nor boring, just nothing new to the table- especially when they're only fighting boring enemies (Now THAT I would agree is boring)

If Ready At Dawn are betting everything on story, they better be putting in 1000% into it, otherwise they'll just be Ninja Theory's DmC but not as vulgar.

It's funny, like, it starts off with them about to rappel down a zeppelin. And I'm thinking, ok this is more like it, taking advantage of the theme etc. Victorian special forces breaching midair zeppelins, lots of cool stuff can happen, totally down with that.

And they cut it before it starts.

And then we're in a goddamn bland kitchen. Then the honestly pretty simple cover-based gunplay starts against other people with machine guns as well. I wouldn't know this was some victorian streampunk era if not for the costumes and weapons designs (which act like modern-day weapons anyway). The only environmental damage is some pans and plates getting blown off counters.

I just don't get it, they're obviously a talented group but they over and over again cannot show me a single piece of compelling live gameplay. It's off my radar till launch and reactions from players.

Gamer345

Banned
Graphics look awesome, guns sound nice

Level is cramped, combat looks rough, melee looks awful, overall extremely boring.

there.

Dont no why you decided to go into your critic on it, Its your opinion on the game, can't tell you how to feel about the game

The main point I am making is certain people who have made up their mind before a new footage is shown, and this has been clear since the first footage

BadAss2961

The speed of both games look similar, but not for the same reasons. Gears looks to be a similar speed because the enemies take more damage and at times Epic would throw a ton of them at you. Also, Gears is built with multiplayer in mind for all the modes which is why the enemies are made with the intention of taking time to kill.

The Order looks slow because general movement seems to be slower and the game focuses more on being cinematic. The melee for regular enemies show this off the contrast most of all. In Gears the melee is quicker than what they are doing in the Order. Every melee in this game goes into an elaborate animation.
Well put.

Melee system looks good to me, people will just have to know when to use it. Using it with all those enemies around was a bad idea -- using it after he grazed that guy with the shotgun would've been a great idea. Live demos though...

Pulling that enemy over the table was pretty slick.

GrayFoxPL

I like the power of the guns and the little details.

Level looked little too small but I doubt every room is like that.

Aaron

I've watched all the footage with an open mind. Problem is it's all been boring and awkward. Did anyone else pay attention to the aiming cursor. There was this big sway like the worst sort of console shooters. While the enemies themselves just sort of stood there and took it. I'm not sure what's supposed to be interesting about this game at all besides the graphics.

I've resigned myself to the fact that it's going to be a really linear/guided experience and, as long as the gameplay is polished and the shooting is fun, I'm fine with that.

Loudninja

PS Nation impressions
The demo I played today started with the 4 knights on top of a dirigible, which they infiltrated by rappelling along the side and down into the belly of the ship. The team broke up, with your charge being that of taking the bridge with the help of Lafayette. The name of the game in this section is stealth, as you both skulk along the framework of the airship, making sure not to be spotted by the guards. A magnetic lock blocks your way to a ladder, so you connect an odd device to it, which if you do things right, will knock the circuit out. There are 2 clear, vertical tubes, each with a ball going up and down. You’ll need to stop each ball separately in a small zone within each tube, using L3 and R3. Once they’re stopped, you continue to hold both until the lock shorts out. A guard notices something wrong, and begins to check the issue out, giving you the opportunity to sneak-up behind him and silently end his patrol (permanently.) A stealth kill is contextual, requiring you to hit a button at a specific time. If you do it wrong though, he’ll hear you and well, things don’t end well.
As you move forward to the bridge, you toss a smoke bomb in first to distract the guys manning the controls. And when you break in, things slow down and the combat again becomes contextual, sort of a light QTE but much more interactive. I hit a wrong button at one point, and had to quickly use the right stick to find something to aid in my survival. I see a fire extinguisher and quickly slam my attacker’s head into it, then grab the object from the wall to use as a battering ram on his head.

Once the bridge is liberated, I need to head back to the main hall, again using stealth to either get past the guards, or of course, sneaking up behind them to stab with extreme prejudice. As I entered the main hall, I needed to use a scope on a sniper rifle to ascertain if any of the guards were actually rebels in disguise. Once identified, you’re ordered to take them out before they get the chance to assassinate someone important (which I failed the first time lol). Once you help protect him while the real guards get him out of danger, the rebels start filing-in and you’ll need to take them out. The action is frenzied, especially since you’re dealing with weapons in the late 1800’s. Accuracy isn’t king with these ancient guns, making you rethink how you engage in gunfights. Amazingly, they’ve really tightened the controls in these sections as compared to when I played a build at E3, and man it was really fun! Go into cover using Circle, and pull away quite effortlessly. Get close enough o an enemy, and you’ll be able to melee using Triangle, if your timing is good enough of course.
http://www.psnation.com/2014/12/06/impressions-the-order-1886-from-the-playstation-experience/

Gamer345

Banned
The gameplay was NOT boring.

But it was nothing special.

Neither good nor bad nor boring, just nothing new to the table- especially when they're only fighting boring enemies (Now THAT I would agree is boring)

If Ready At Dawn are betting everything on story, they better be putting in 1000% into it, otherwise they'll just be Ninja Theory's DmC but not as vulgar.

This is what I thought, I expected it to be a TPS and it showed that

Cover similar to TLOU and Uncharted, nice gun combat in close area, melee was meh (but id like to see more variations), didnt like the continous talking of rebel down, reloading

It is a beautiful looking TPS, with the same time of combat I have seen in most TPS games. I dont really know how it would mix with lycan battle, morse code, black water and the special QTE that was talked about.

Overall the footage I saw was just decent and what I would expect from your typical TPS

-SD-

Banned
This game looks as pretty as a young woman fresh out of sauna.

It's too bad that the gameplay looks so dull :|

Kezen

Banned
The more I see of The Order the less I'm looking forward to it. I desperately need something for my PS4 so that will have to do I guess.
God what I wouldn't give for a new Medievil instead of that, or even a new Daxter (yes I loved this game on PSP).

It feels so boring and generic gameplay wise. I hope the story isn't total crap.

I really wish games would shut the fuck up with everyone shouting every time they reload or kill an enemy. I keep wanting to like this game but they are giving me very little to like from a gameplay perspective.

Hypron

Like I said in the other thread, I hope there are some larger play areas down the line. Everything seems really cramped right now. It'd be good to have at least some sort of freedom of approach (like, I'm not asking for Crysis but anything more than a corridor would be good).

ron_bato

Shooting looked pretty good, audio continues to be one of the game's strong points. You can really feel the punch from that coach gun. Delivery of the 'rebel down' and 'reloading' lines while in combat sounded lifeless though.

The AI looked much better in this showing than in previous ones, coach gun rebel guy was really trying to flush Galahad out of cover for example. Moving between, and out of cover looked a bit clunky and cumbersome though, would like to see some impressions from people who will be able to play it.

I don't know what to make of the lychan melee sequence shown. It looks realy cool, and is animated really well. However, without much details, I'm not really sure how engaging it will be.

Smokey

*mind-blown.gif*

They're both the same type of game, but Uncharted lets you do something other than crouch behind counters.

Like jump from ledge to ledge like we've been doing for the past 3 games? The only thing impressive about the UC4 footage was the foliage. The fact that you can now swing from a branch doesn't change anything. It played just like the previous titles. And the downgrade in graphics was very real.

Well put.

Melee system looks good to me, people will just have to know when to use it. Using it with all those enemies around was a bad idea -- using it after he grazed that guy with the shotgun would've been a great idea. Live demos though...

Pulling that enemy over the table was pretty slick.

Gears of War was never designed with multiplayer in mind. The original didn't have a competitive game mode until the final few months of development when, just two people created it from scratch.

Epic are the masters of wrapping arcadey gameplay in a triple-A skin.

I've been a big supporter of 1886 from the beginning and haven't had a problem with any previous showing, but it was incredibly poor tonight. 10 second clip, fumbled kitchen combat, then a mini-melee segment. Shocking.

Insta fail stealth section? Hmm
https://twitter.com/TheSteveBurnio/status/541329133490688001
ibcuE0IW0MWYbj.png

Like jump from ledge to ledge like we've been doing for the past 3 games? The only thing impressive about the UC4 footage was the foliage. The fact that you can now swing from a branch doesn't change anything. It played just like the previous titles. And the downgrade in graphics was very real.

How was there a downgrade when we hadn't even seen gameplay before today?

Incredible graphics but what the hell is that generic, "I'm reloading", kinda gameplay? Melee with the werewolf looked nice though.

Not sure that's a buy yet...

RibMan

Looks like Gears minus fun.

Pass

I completely agree.

The graphics look unbelievable, but everything else (of what little they've shown) looks like it just isn't coming together. The setting and plot is unique so I'm still interested in the title, but it really does look like a broken Gears of War game. The camera looks too pulled-in, all of the guns seem to suffer from reload-itis, the melee seems rudimentary and uninspired, the characters' fighting alongside you seem like they need to spend more time at the gun range, the list goes on. It's been a slow and gradual realization that the gameplay needs a lot more time in the kitchen.

Frankly, I'd be genuinely surprised if the show floor impressions are positive. I'm pulling for the developers because they really need to breakout from the "PSP port guys" label, but I fear that The Order might not be the title that does it for them. It would suck to spend years working and succeeding on another developer's IP, only to create your own and have it fail.

Salz01

I can't wait for when gears gets shown, and people will say the gameplay looks awesome... Just because it's gears.

vin-buc

I thought it was Capt. Price from CoD in the kitchen with all that "I'm reloading", "rebel down". That was extremely WEAK and non-cinematic. Nonetheless - it looks good. People comparing this to UC - it's unfair. Team sizes, resources?

RAD has made quality games for the psp. Graphically it looks great especially the melee part (even if showing melee as it's own trailer seemed silly) so I'm going to support this......by purchasing the DISK.

Smokey

How was there a downgrade when we hadn't even seen gameplay before today?

I'm referring to the original UC4 reveal that looked too good to be true, but ND insisted was real time on PS4. Not to mention the footage was running at 30fps when they said it would be at 60. Yes it's still in development etc etc but i was disappointed.

Gamer345

Banned

Based off work in progress, lol

You are missing the complexity to the level design they showed in UC4. It was much more open, and traversal, combat, and environmental interaction were integrated in a way that far surpassed what we've seen in previous Uncharted games. Of course it looks and plays like you would expect Uncharted to, as it is an Uncharted game. And they have a year to keep improving the graphics.

KooopaKid

Banned
Finally a good bit of gameplay.
All I was thinking while it was shown was why play this when you have Uncharted 4?
It just looks limited.

steven28

Looks great to me.They should try to show off more of the world though and not just focus on one small combat section.

Top Bottom