• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 is rendering in 2.40:1 ratio (1920x800), will this be a trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like playing games at 1920x800.

It's not the best choice for all games, but making a game specifically for that aspect ratio sounds like it could be a good idea.

v0yce

Sure. I'll more than likely still pick this up, I just don't see why you would chop off 20% of the screen real estate for filmic reasons when you're making a video game that won't ever see release in theaters.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

Knowing that the game was originally designed at 1900x800, I don't think of anything being "chopped off."

Raitaro

So let me get this straight: just when I was finally blessed with the ability to play games without black borders due to buying my first widescreen (hd) tv only about 1,5 years ago (yes, I was THAT late, I don't know why anymore either, or how I managed to keep gaming under those circumstances), the industry catches up with me again and forces me to play games bordered again.

Sheesh!

Don't like it. I don't think it makes a game more cinematic either. I call bullshit there. Black bars are only acceptable with movies because the standard film aspect ratio is different than most home TVs. It is about preservation. Games are released right to retail/home environment and 16:9 is the standard home TV aspect ratio.

I get used to it quickly but in no way do I prefer it. Just a way to hide performance problems.

Shame this shit is here right out the gate.

Will this potentially prompt wider FOVs? Only good thing I can imagine coming out of this.

I can see not enjoying it, but it serves a purpose for movies.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/764

Games aren't movies, however.

You know what? I read the whole article and all the benefits of choosing a different aspect ratio according to the artistic decisions of the creators make as much sense for film as for games. Even if they're primarily played on HD TVs vs a theater, there's no reason all games have to conform to a uniform aspect ratio.

I really liked the Spielberg example of Jaws vs Jurassic Park in the article and the same could easily be true for games.

Consider two films by Steven Spielberg. The director shot 'Jaws' at 2.35:1 to showcase the vast expanses of open water in the ocean. Yet he shot 'Jurassic Park' at the narrower 1.85:1 ratio to emphasize the height of the dinosaurs. These were two different movies with two different artistic goals, requiring the use of separate aspect ratios.

In an interview a dev from RaD stated that this is the aspect ratio the game will run at as well. It's not just for cinematics.
Then that's bloody stupid. I doubt they're doing it for performance reasons like most people are assuming, but for a game you want to have as much of the screen available to you as possible. Especially a shooter.
As for people comparing the Quantic Dream tech demo to this just calm down, that tech demo wad obviously meant to be like a film, hence the cinematic ratio.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So its gonna have a wider FOV then, obviously not possible on current HD sets because of full screen ratio. Ok
Isn't Beyond doing this too?

eso76

Perfectly ok with this, I wonder why we haven't seen more of this on current generation.
would have been a much better solution than upscaling sub HD games.

Minigo

Developers will use all the extra resources they save by doing this and put it into a 60fps games, until they decide to pretty things up once more and so we willl back to 20 frames but with black bars

I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

Knowing that the game was originally designed at 1900x800, I don't think of anything being "chopped off."

So would a game designed for 640x480 centred be a decent solution? Something is certainly getting cut off, and if they know that the majority of their audience has 16:9 screens why piss them off?

This isn't a big deal for projectors or large TVs, but on small TVs this kind of letterboxing is grating.

You know what? I read the whole article and all the benefits of choosing a different aspect ratio according to the artistic decisions of the creators make as much sense for film as for games. Even if they're primarily played on HD TVs vs a theater, there's no reason all games have to conform to a uniform aspect ratio.

I really liked the Spielberg example of Jaws vs Jurassic Park in the article and the same could easily be true for games.
Games have to worry about sacrificing more because of gameplay considerations though. Navigating an ocean may look more impressive with a more narrow aspect ratio but could also make it more awkward to navigate by the player couldn't it?

The biggest graphical presentation sin of Dragon's Dogma was not the black bars, but the super low draw distance for world objects and NPCs. They constantly pop in.

Deviation

Neo Member
This is dumb as hell. Letterbox your cinematics all you want but you're not *framing* your gameplay. So let us fill the actual damn resolution of the screen.

Though I am a bit saddened by the number of people in this thread complaining about the scope aspect ratio in films. They're missing the point there.

I think the silly thing is that people expect 1080p to be the norm this generation. We just came off a generation where 720p wasn't even the norm. Why do we suddenly think we'll get 1080? I bet we'll see more 720p games than people think as the performance gain will be worth it. 1080p will be like 60fps. It's nice to have, but most devs won't care to give it to us because they'll trade it off for other things.

S¡mon

Banned
If it's a specific choice, than there's likely a good reason for it. If they want to create a "cinematic movie" experience, than why not?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
S¡mon;66288936 said:
If it's a specific choice, than there's likely a good reason for it. If they want to create a "cinematic movie" experience, than why not?

For the type of setting they are going for it could feel quite cinematic. I just want to see some actual game play.

StuBurns

Banned
I think the silly thing is that people expect 1080p to be the norm this generation. We just came off a generation where 720p wasn't even the norm. Why do we suddenly think we'll get 1080? I bet we'll see more 720p games than people think as the performance gain will be worth it. 1080p will be like 60fps. It's nice to have, but most devs won't care to give it to us because they'll trade it off for other things.
720p was the norm, just wasn't every single game. Most still were.

There's no reason to think most games won't be 1080p, especially since people are already talking about the framebuffer details, and they're 1080p.

sunnz

E3

My interest was at 9/10

Today, after this news and that other news.

6/10.

Wish they kept quite until they showed gameplay.

farisr

This isn't a rending resolution/sub-1080p issue for me and some others. If they can't achieve full 1080p, I'd prefer it they program the visuals to stretch the 1920x800 to 1920x1080 (like GT5 does 1280x1080 to 1920x1080) rather than have it at 1920x800 with black bars around it.

vpance

Is this going to be 3rd person like Uncharted or RE? If it's like the former with a wide FOV then the character is going to be too small. But if they zoom it in to make the character larger the FOV advantage gets lost again.

StuBurns

Banned
There is no FoV advantage to the aspect ratio. You can do any FoV with any aspect ratio you desire. And if anything, the screenshot in the car looks pretty narrow.

EDIT: Here's an example.

mObQRwZ.gif

LastNac

I get not caring for the concept but its ridiculous to demand it be changed. Not everything needs to be suited to one's taste. If its not for you its not for you though that doesn't mean it shouldn't or can't exist just because a certain few don't like the concept. It is best really to just move on to something else instead of trying to change a vision that doesn't coincide with one's own.

Anti ratio Gaffers:

Let it go.

After seeing proper pics of this game that graphics aren't as crazy as I though, youtube really makes games look better than what they actually look. I'm surprised the ps4 can't run that at proper resolution. I don't buy the bs that it's the developer's artistic choice, they might not be able to run that game at proper 1080p, that's a shame because when you're gaming you dont care for letterboxes lol

This isn't a rending resolution/sub-1080p issue for me and some others. If they can't achieve full 1080p, I'd prefer it they program the visuals to stretch the 1920x800 to 1920x1080 (like GT5 does 1280x1080 to 1920x1080) rather than have it at 1920x800 with black bars around it.

Oh I'm not ignoring the aspect ratio which I completely agree with. I just find it funny how a lot of people assume this is going to be a 1080p generation as an addition to the comments being made about the aspect ratio.

720p was the norm, just wasn't every single game. Most still were.

There's no reason to think most games won't be 1080p, especially since people are already talking about the framebuffer details, and they're 1080p.

I'm not sure it was the norm. It seemed to me every week we'd find a game that was being rendered at a sub resolution. That seemed to be the norm.

bj00rn_

Banned
I'm not sure what you mean, "it's all there." If the developers are making the game with a certain aspect in mind, that means to fill a 16:9 frame they would have to show more information then they want.

It doesn't matter that you can swing the camera wherever you want, the amount of visual information you can receive at any given moment (FOV) is determined by the aspect ration chosen by the creators of the game.

You may not think changing the FOV in Bioshock affected the experience, but I'd wager the people who wanted pan and scan felt the same about their movies.

It's not "determined" because of aesthetic reasons in the way you think it is. It's much simpler than that: For the most part console FOVs are "determined" out of performance reasons.

vpance

There is no FoV advantage to the aspect ratio. You can do any FoV with any aspect ratio you desire. And if anything, the screenshot in the car looks pretty narrow.

EDIT: Here's an example.

mObQRwZ.gif

You could, but it looks more and more weird as it goes up without increasing the aspect ratio.

PaulloDEC

Disappointing news if true. As others have said, letterbox your cutscenes all you like, but don't waste my screen real-estate with black bars.

I'll take being able to see what I'm doing over a cinematic flourish any day.

lefantome

So basically it's like having a 1280x800 resolution, it's the minum side who give the resolution.

Today two bad news about the order 1886, i was extremely hyped, now i'm worried.

Domino792

I dont know i think this could be interesting it looks cool in the trailer, il have to play it or see it played to give actual opinion on it. But as of right now im okay with the idea.

PaulloDEC

So basically it's like having a 1280x800 resolution, it's the minum side who give the resolution.

Today two bad news about the order 1886, i was extremely hyped, now i'm worried.

I don't think that's correct. The whole image isn't scaled down as a result of the lower vertical resolution, it's an entirely different aspect ratio. In other words, the 1920 x 800 quoted in the OP is accurate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom