• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 is rendering in 2.40:1 ratio (1920x800), will this be a trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frodo

Like a few people already stated, this aspect ratio makes sense in a film, where the cinematographer decides before hand what is being focused and what they want to show. But on a video game where the player controls the camera... What is the point?

vpance

Like a few people already stated, this aspect ratio makes sense in a film, where the cinematographer decides before hand what is being focused and what they want to show. But on a video game where the player controls the camera... What is the point?

More enemies to shoot at on left and the right.

This means even when I set my TV to 1:1 pixel mapping I get the black borders, that is stupid and it aint necessary to get that "cinematic experience".
I hated this in Resident Evil 4 on the GameCube. The PS2 version (although technically inferior) got it right, just like the Wii and HD version.

danielcw

This means even when I set my TV to 1:1 pixel mapping I get the black borders, that is stupid and it aint necessary to get that "cinematic experience".
I hated this in Resident Evil 4 on the GameCube. The PS2 version (although technically inferior) got it right, just like the Wii and HD version.

You are mixing many things up, but yes, if you play the game the way the developers intend, then you will have black bars, on a 16:9 tv

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You think they'd admit to it being a concession?
If the decision is made now, before they're even running on final hardware, it's clearly an artistic choice. Dropping resolution for performance usually only happens in optimization, which would probably be at least a year from now.

Tookay

The developer can't decide what's going to be focused and design the game's encounters accordingly?

Satchel

Banned

Welp? Come off it.

I sold my Gamecube version of RE4 and grabbed the HD because of this.

Even when I originally bought it and played it, I set the TV on wide zoom. Its ridiculous. I'd rather the performance hit, or lower resolution than black bars.

The fact that its happening on a next Gen console just makes it worse.

I like The Order and hope it's a great game, but this is a fucking stupid idea just like it is when Mikami did it. It's a cheap way to create a "cinematic" experience. I have black bars when I watch certain BluRays because some movies were originally intended for a different aspect ratio of a theater screen. Video games are developed with fucking tvs in mind, so make them fit so that I can use my entire goddamn tv.

StuBurns

Banned
Welp? Come off it.

I sold my Gamecube version of RE4 and grabbed the HD because of this.

Even when I originally bought it and played it, I set the TV on wide zoom. Its ridiculous. I'd rather the performance hit, or lower resolution than black bars.

The fact that its happening on a next Gen console just makes it worse.
I don't understand this logic at all.

It's like the posters who complain next-gen games are 30fps, despite the fact this compromise has been made every single generation.

It's not a technical limitation in the sense that it's impossible to make PS4 games that are full 1080p, but if you've chosen to do it in scope, you're going to use the extra GPU performance to make it look better. It's a cyclical design implication.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dead Space was pretty fucking cool this way, but it's a random bonus of the game being on PC that players have a choice to use:

deadspace22012-12-131lvbh8.png

deadspace22012-12-131faa8l.png

2.35 is better than 2.4. Can't let those black bars get too massive.

Tagg9

That is awful. No one has 2.35:1AR television. And it should never be mandatory, of all things! Give us an option to play fullscreen 720p at the very least.

Satchel

Banned
I don't understand this logic at all.

It's like the posters who complain next-gen games are 30fps, despite the fact this compromise has been made every single generation.

It's not a technical limitation in the sense that it's impossible to make PS4 games that are full 1080p, but if you've chosen to do it in scope, you're going to use the extra GPU performance to make it look better. It's a cyclical design implication.

I have no problem with 30. I have no problem with 720. Hell, if I have full screen, I have no major problem with jaggies.

I do have a problem with a videogame not being full screen. There is no excuse good enough.

Chris_C

Games should stop imitating movies. It's embarrassing.

Borrowing from a medium you have a lot in common isn't embarrassing.

Let the developers make the game they want to make, if you don't like it, don't buy it, there are lots of other games out there doing different things, which is great for the medium.

...So yall arguing about assumptions from an early trailer in here huh? Aight, looks good but i guess that doesn't matter *Blankstare*

Not sure. When a director does it it's for artistic reasons for a large screen and to create scope. Videogames are played on all sorts of TV sets and I would imagine most people have HDTV's 60" and below. I don't see any reasoning trying to create a vision that most gamers won't even care about. It almost sounds like it's doing a different aspect ratio just for the sake of doing something different.

Any chance this game will have a big horror focus?

I could kind of forgive it from Mikami, because it will add a layer of claustrophobia to the image (I suppose)

But I really don't see it necessary, we are already in wide screen

danielcw

Not sure. When a director does it it's for artistic reasons for a large screen and to create scope. Videogames are played on all sorts of TV sets and
Movies are played on all sorts of displays too, from cinema to cellphone.
Thankfully the time when movies were not presented close to their intended aspect ratio seems to be over.

That is awful. No one has 2.35:1AR television. And it should never be mandatory, of all things!
It isn't mandatory, unless you hate black bars.

Mashing

As a plasma TV owner, black bars bug me very much (it's already problematic to avoid IR as it is). I don't want to have to distort (stretch the picture) in order to remove the black bars. This is very disconcerting.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
If the decision is made now, before they're even running on final hardware, it's clearly an artistic choice. Dropping resolution for performance usually only happens in optimization, which would probably be at least a year from now.

bingo

BadAss2961

I could see it work. But the game will really have to nail atmosphere.
If the trailer resembles the game as much as they say it will, then consider the atmosphere nailed.

Since it's Ready at Dawn with help from Santa Monica, i'm betting they'll make it work. God of War devs won't fuck up.

I love the look of 2.40:1 movies, but scope games? Get the fuck outta here with that shit. I want games to use my entire screen. Imagine playing Skyrim in scope. It would lose its Immersive feel.

Chris_C

this is very, very arguable

I was referring to the fact that they're both primarily visual mediums. If films hadn't borrowed liberally from German expressionism we might never have gotten films like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, or Metropolis. There's nothing wrong with games taking a cue from other mediums like film, literature and comics as long as they continue to explore other avenues of self expression, which they are.

rdrr gnr

I was referring to the fact that they're both primarily visual mediums. If films hadn't borrowed liberally from German expressionism we might never have gotten films like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, or Metropolis. There's nothing wrong with games taking a cue from other mediums like film, literature and comics as long as they continue to explore other avenues of self expression, which they are.
But even something like a cutscene isn't just primarily visual -- it is for the short duration -- a purely visual medium.

That is awful. No one has 2.35:1AR television. And it should never be mandatory, of all things! Give us an option to play fullscreen 720p at the very least.
People have had constant image height projectors for years. Only practical for super-enthusiasts, but there are people out there.
original.pjpeg

Dead Space was pretty fucking cool this way, but it's a random bonus of the game being on PC that players have a choice to use:

2.35 is better than 2.4. Can't let those black bars get too massive.
The difference between 2.35:1, 2.39:1 or 2.4:1 is so miniscule that almost no one actually cares to be accurate with it lol, or at least when it comes to home video releases.

But wouldn't a narrower aspect ratio be better for a horror game (same with The Evil Within)? Maybe what with every game for the most part being 1.78:1,2.4:1 standing out helps, but I would think a tighter viewing area would promote a more claustrophobic feel than the expansiveness of scope.

I think ready at dawn is trying to emphasize the over the shoulder cam to create a more boxed in feeling. Whether or not this will pay off is another thing. I don't personally like the idea, but I also think I'd forget about it as soon as I start playing.

I'm definitely thinking this has nothing to do with performance. I just don't see the returns being worth the potential backlash.

Yes, because games should be movies right?

I'm not even a fan of black bars in my movies either, but its a different form of entertainment and there are other reasons why the black bars exist.

They shouldn't be in games. Games are not movies, and they don't have a "native source" that forced that issue when it was released for home viewing. I'd rather they run the game in 720/60/Full AA than this shit.

Movies don't have a native source either. They are what the creators want them to be and there's no reason to hold games to a different standard just because a bunch of internet crybabies can't deal with unused pixels on their displays.

No one has any idea what the gameplay looks like or how it feels so it is simply ignorant to condemn this game for making a compromise that exists only in your imagination at this point.

People have had constant image height projectors for years. Only practical for super-enthusiasts, but there are people out there.
original.pjpeg

It can be done on the cheap, had my CIH setup for a few years now and the whole thing cost less than half decent TV.

Changing AR can be done on a button press if scaling isn't a problem.

Alx

I doubt this is for performance reasons. Sounds like it's due to artistic reasons just like it is in movies.

Movies didn't do it for artistic reasons. They introduced fancy formats to have an argument against television. Directors could use it to add artistic elements, but they would have done it with a vertical ratio just as well, only differently.
The human vertical field of vision is not much smaller than the horizontal one.

StuBurns

Banned
Movies didn't do it for artistic reasons. They introduced fancy formats to have an argument against television. Directors could use it to add artistic elements, but they would have done it with a vertical ratio just as well, only differently.
The human vertical field of vision is not much smaller than the horizontal one.
Maybe once upon a time, but that's irrelevant to now. Before Super 35, you had to use anamorphic lenses which cause focus issues, and effects work in post was difficult. It was actually a technical hurdle to be in scope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom