• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 is rendering in 2.40:1 ratio (1920x800), will this be a trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister D

Fuck outta here with this bullshit! I understand the reason movies do this since the history of film has always allowed for differing aspect ratios based on the director's intent once they expanded beyond the 1.33:1 ratio but games have always filled the prominent screens of the time. I buy all my blurays in the correct aspect ratio but I see no reason for games to go beyond the canvas allowed by modern HDTVs.

I already hate it when cutscenes do this crap when most games are already made using the 1.78:1 aspect ratio since more people have HDTVs now. This is one thing they don't need to copy from films. I'm controlling the scene and the camera for the most part when playing the game unless it's something like God of War that uses a static camera so shot composition and framing aren't as important as they are for passive entertainment like films or TV shows.

This seems to be just another case of game directors copying the wrong things from other media. I didn't buy a 70 inch TV just to have to play games with black bars when it's completely unecessary to do so in comparison to how movies are shot. Black bars for games should be for people who did not want to or weren't able to upgrade from 4:3 SDTVs that are pretty much obsolete now.

Pooya

we need cinema screens for home use. It's niche, personally I think it would be better than 16:9, the wider the better.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
First they came for 4:3
and I didn't speak up because I was planning on buying a 16:9 TV anyway.

Then they came for 16:9...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
stupid, but ultimately will have little affect on me I guess.

and to those who say it's stupid in movies.. you have no idea what you are talking about. Movies do it because IT DOES give them a bigger picture.. on the theater screens. When the movie shows black bars on your TV, it's because in the theater the curtains around the screen actually opened up WIDER giving you more picture than a 1.85:1 movie (i.e. one that has very tiny black bars on your TV).

and for those who don't realize it, almost ALL movies have black bars on your TV provided you are running 1080p and have your movie player and TV set to full pixel. Just the ones that don't look like it the "bars" are only a few pixels high each (roughly top and bottom are each 21 pixels high)

edit -
we need cinema screens for home use. It's niche, personally I think it would be better than 16:9, the wider the better.

there's some really cool constant aspect ratio projects out there for projector systems that do exactly this. through some cool futzing with projector settings and an anamorphic lens you can basically setup a 2.4:1 screen and then show blu-rays (or any video) at the proper aspect ratio on a constant sized screen. Very cool. And stuff like Wizard of Oz (both old and new) ends up working properly then. It will fuck up something like the blu-ray release of The Dark Knight though.

but for games... yeah, it's cheaping out.

andycapps

I think it could definitely be a crutch early on in the console cycle until everyone gets fully up to speed on the console architectures.

DieH@rd

Banned
Pretty sure they said in an E3 interview that they did this to make the experience extra cinematic or something. But yeah, that's probably just a rather lame excuse.

Their engine emulates camera lenses and film grain. They are definetley aiming for a specific visual style that will emulate quirks of the real film cameras.

Fine by me, that's as good as goal as any.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I dont understand why developers would want to do this for their movies?I would think they would want to actually take advantage of the new hardware, stuff like this starts to make me think these new consoles are not as powerful as we are being lead to believe.

it doesn't matter how much power you have, less pixels will means better engine graphics. if the ps4 were 50x more powerful, the 1920 x 800 version would still look better than the 1090 x 1080 version.

It's always been a trend for me. I painted black bars onto my TV screen at the beginning of this generation. It gets in the way of HUD elements at times but it's worth it for the filmic experience it gives.

vpance

This is weird. Why not just render at 1920x800 anamorphic? Just stretch the image out to 1920x1080p. Thats what we've been doing this generation with almost all games.

It's not for performance reasons, it's an artistic thing.

Right?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Pretty sure they said in an E3 interview that they did this to make the experience extra cinematic or something. But yeah, that's probably just a rather lame excuse.

what other excuse is there? they could ratchet down the graphics and make it 1080p. it's a purely stylistic choice.

jond76

Banned
Its the developers vision, I say let them present it as they see fit. I like the concept.

Lots of funny reactions in here.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is weird. Why not just render at 1920x800 anamorphic? Just stretch the image out to 1920x1080p. Thats what we've been doing this generation with almost all games.

Here's how that would look.

Original:

image_the_order_1886-22390-2752_0007.jpg

Stretched:

umlps65.jpg

Gbraga

I have nothing against this. Devs should have a choice in how to showcase their games.

What's next, we will stop tolerating 4:3 indie games?

I didn't complain when The Evil Withing used it, but I don't want this to be a trend, just like I don't want 4:3 to be a trend among indies. I can tolerate (as you defined yourself) a few games like this, but we don't have that many next gen games announced to make those two seem like nothing.

It probably won't bug me while I'm playing at all, just like it doesn't in Dragon's Dogma (probably because I'm way more busy complaining about the performance), but I don't want this to become "the new thing"

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Here's how that would look.
Nope, anamorphic. So you render a squeezed image in the back buffer and stretch it out in the front buffer. You get the right aspect ratio while you use less ram + render less pixels.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Its the developers vision, I say let them present it as they see fit. I like the concept.

Lots of funny reactions in here.

seriously, for a game that looks as realistic and gritty as the order i wouldn't trade the art presented in the reveal trailer for 1080p/60fps. if it were flashy hack n slash maybe, but i get a strong sense of the feel this game is going for and it's not going to be that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nope, anamorphic. So you render a squeezed image in the back buffer and stretch it out in the front buffer. You get the right aspect ratio while you use less ram + render less pixels.

Ah I see.

Let me try it again in a moment to see.

stupid, but ultimately will have little affect on me I guess.

and to those who say it's stupid in movies.. you have no idea what you are talking about. Movies do it because IT DOES give them a bigger picture.. on the theater screens. When the movie shows black bars on your TV, it's because in the theater the curtains around the screen actually opened up WIDER giving you more picture than a 1.85:1 movie (i.e. one that has very tiny black bars on your TV).

and for those who don't realize it, almost ALL movies have black bars on your TV provided you are running 1080p and have your movie player and TV set to full pixel. Just the ones that don't look like it the "bars" are only a few pixels high each (roughly top and bottom are each 21 pixels high)

edit -

there's some really cool constant aspect ratio projects out there for projector systems that do exactly this. through some cool futzing with projector settings and an anamorphic lens you can basically setup a 2.4:1 screen and then show blu-rays (or any video) at the proper aspect ratio on a constant sized screen. Very cool. And stuff like Wizard of Oz (both old and new) ends up working properly then. It will fuck up something like the blu-ray release of The Dark Knight though.

but for games... yeah, it's cheaping out.

That's theater dependent. I've been to theaters where the curtains came down from the top and up from the bottom to frame a wider aspect ratio.

Het_Nkik

I hope everybody saying this is stupid also believes games are NOT art.

Because otherwise, that's pretty fucking hypocritical.

StuBurns

Banned
Re4 had this aspect ratio, and that game turned out to be okay.
RE4 is 16:9

EDIT: As for anamorphic scaling, 1080p is going to allow for per pixel mapping for lots of people, scaling is going to have a much more pronounced visual impact compared to what it does currently with things like MGS4/Vanquish.

AAK

Just do whatever to finish this shooting game #1398739 as soon as possible so RAD can finally start working on a legit platforming adventure game already.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Their engine emulates camera lenses and film grain. They are definetley aiming for a specific visual style that will emulate quirks of the real film cameras.

Fine by me, that's as good as goal as any.

eh, bullshit. widescreen panavision and such exists because you DO gain information from it... on film. digital it's bullshit, HOWEVER theaters are still built in such a manner that a 2.35:1 picture IS BIGGER than a 1.85:1 picture.

For something that is digital AND never going to be in a theater, it's bullshit. they could achieve the same effect at 16:9.

thats alot of space not being used on my 1080p monitor. cutting corners already lol

Do you honestly think that any developer is going to be pushing either of these consoles so hard this early that they couldn't reach 1080p? It's quite clear this is just a specific look that they're going for and not some sort of hardware limitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom