• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 is rendering in 2.40:1 ratio (1920x800), will this be a trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrakier

Its the developers vision, I say let them present it as they see fit. I like the concept.

Lots of funny reactions in here.

It's not a vision. It's compromising on image quality and standards just to get some extra performance for eyecandy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nope, anamorphic. So you render a squeezed image in the back buffer and stretch it out in the front buffer. You get the right aspect ratio while you use less ram + render less pixels.

Would this be correct? I feel I'm getting a similar effect, unless by squeezed you mean the first one is actually 16x9 instead of squeezing it to 16x9 after the fact.

try2hhlak.jpg

If it's native 21:9 then I'm all for it, as 21:9 TVs are hitting the market, and I'll be getting one eventually. If it's anamorphic and black bars are also present on such television, then fuck this.

megalowho

Interested to see this in practice. I can appreciate a more panoramic viewpoint and think it could give certain games a unique feel. Back bars have never made me rage out or anything, unless it's directly affecting UI or some in game functionality, but I don't think that'll be the case if it's part of the design.

btkadams

just curious, since i'm getting a plasma soon. is this bad for a plasma tv (movies and games that are letterboxed like this)? or, is it not a big deal?

Xater

I hope everybody saying this is stupid also believes games are NOT art.

Because otherwise, that's pretty fucking hypocritical.

I think they are but there is no benefit of this during gameplay if I have camera control. If I want to see a little bit more ont he left or right I just turn the camera. The developer can not create one framing for everyone that is like his vision. If we go for a game like God of War where you have no camera control I could see it makes sense to create soe nice framing for epic scenes.

TheCloser

Banned
Wow, does gaf always get upset for no reason. A developer has a vision for their game and they are wanting to execute that plan to try and introduce something new and people are complaining? It's definitely an artistic choice. They are free to present their game in anyway they feel and I'd hope that common sense will prevail in this thread. Complaining about something you haven't played. Wow. To those on this thread respecting the decision, I give you a solid round of applause for respecting their choice and waiting to make a decision on the game after you have seen more of it. It seems like there's nothing important to complain about so people must find something.

Tomas

Banned
I feel it depends on the game. Shooters with no vertical combat or height are perfectly fine with triple monitor setups. As long as the shorter height does not provide any inconvenience, it should be fine. I don't think that this design choice is affected by hardware performance. On the other hand, the creatures might be crawling on the ceiling.

However, strategy games are best for 1:1 ratio. Many pro players (including me, but I no pro), play in 4:3 resolution. League is off with with 16:9 (my monitor) ratio.

StuBurns

Banned
Would this be correct? I feel I'm getting a similar effect, unless by squeezed you mean the first one is actually 16x9 instead of squeezing it to 16x9 after the fact.
MGS4 is anamorphic.

The end image isn't stretched in anyway, you render them stretchy to be projected correctly.

Some movies are in weird aspect ratios? Anything that's not the same aspect ratio as my monitor and TV is stupid. I want all of the pixels.

This is dumb. This is like complaining back in SDTVs with 4:3 aspect ratio when the movies were letterboxed. Movies are designed for a theater screen, not your TV. Why would they limit themselves to a TV aspect ratio?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
That's theater dependent. I've been to theaters where the curtains came down from the top and up from the bottom to frame a wider aspect ratio.

I have NEVER seen what you are talking about... holy shit I would be pissed.

I honestly can't even figure out how that would work.. unless it's a digital non-anamorphic 2.35:1 or such projection.. holy crap I would be pissed. heh.

for film though I believe it's impossible. anything wider than one of the flat ratios needs to be shot with an anamorphic lens.

faridmon

So not full HD yet. Its funny to see Wipeout HD blowing pissin o some of those ''Next-Gen'' games and that was released back in 2008

Bow down to Sony Liverpool

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Or you know, believe they are doing it to get acceptable performance.

without a doubt they get better permanence at 800 but their still in the early stages of development and they could lower the graphical quality to hit 1080 whatever their engine, do you think otherwise?

it's all about which you prefer, they prefer black bars and for their style, i agree.

DBT85

No, the PS4 rendered image would make the characters look short and fat. Once stretched they would look normally proportioned.

evilalien

No, that's still not right. There isn't any way to do it from that source image. Anamorphic would be the game would be outputting a squashed 1920x800 image that would look correct when stretched out to 1920x1080.

mattp

anamorphic means the image is rendered with non-square pixels, essentially. in this case they would be rectangles that are wider than they are tall. so then when you stretch the image vertically, those rectangle become perfect squares and the end result is a perfectly represented image

I have NEVER seen what you are talking about... holy shit I would be pissed.

I honestly can't even figure out how that would work.. unless it's a digital non-anamorphic 2.35:1 or such projection.. holy crap I would be pissed. heh.

for film though I believe it's impossible. anything wider than one of the flat ratios needs to be shot with an anamorphic lens.

I was just at one this last weekend when I saw Star Trek. I saw the curtain come down from the top to change the aspect ratio. There were no curtains on the side. It was using a Sony 4K Digital Projector too.

Majanew

Banned
What a joke. Take your black bars and shove 'em. Just an excuse to not have the game being 1920x1080. I fucking hate it on my Blu-rays and I will skip all games that go this route.

billsmugs

Possibly a weird question, but could subtitles/mission objectives be in the black bar sections, or would that be just as taxing as rendering the whole thing in 1080p?

EDIT: Or would that just make them stand out even more and so look worse?

UrbanRats

Negative. 2.40:1 achieves a specific look and feel. That must be how they wanted to frame the game.

Even assuming that's the case (and i'd agree in cinema, but here there's a clear trade off that makes it suspicious) it sure shouldn't become a "trend".
Unless everyone has the same vision.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Nope. Your source isn't right.

To make an example: Take a normal 16:9 screenshot, squeeze it to 19:7 for example. Save it. Scale it to 16:9 again :) . The 16:7 version is the rendered version. The system will than scale that to 16:9, which makes the aspect ratio right again :)

1) Render the game is a faulty aspect ratio. The resolution is lower than 1080p
2) scale the image to 1080p. The aspect ratio is now perfect.

The scaling of the image is way cheaper than rendering at higher res.

As long as the horizontal is 1920 pixels, I can let this pass. I don't want any scaling this gen.

Same, I can't get too upset at this. As long as all those pixels fit snugly, I can deal with the black bars. But I hope this isn't a trend going forward.

Orayn

As long as the horizontal is 1920 pixels, I can let this pass. I don't want any scaling this gen.

Using a smaller or variably smaller horizontal resolution and scaling it up was a pretty big trend last gen, and I fully expect it to see it continue into this one, maybe even at launch. 1680x1080, 1600x1080, 1440x1080, 1360x1080, etc.

We might even get somen fun resolutions that are scaled in both dimensions unequally, like Halo 3's lovely 1152x640.

King_Moc

Banned
Is this for performance, or are they actually trying to make it look like a film? That would be so dumb. As a pal gamer, not once during the 16bit era did I ever think that the black bars invading all my games were 'cinematic'. It's a game, not a bloody film.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
This is weird. Why not just render at 1920x800 anamorphic? Just stretch the image out to 1920x1080p. Thats what we've been doing this generation with almost all games.

wouldn't that look stretched out at 1920 x 800 then? which is their goal. cropped 800 also has the advantage of native resolution on 1080 tvs.

InSpectre

It's not a vision. It's compromising on image quality and standards just to get some extra performance for eyecandy.

So any time you watch a movie filmed in Panavision this is what you're thinking? I can't tell if you're trolling or not.

An artistic choice to go with a wide camera lens has little to do with what you're implying. Wide aspect ratios allow for some great cinematic framing.

HNAkdljl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom