• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 has gone gold

erawsd

IGN said:
Combat in The Witcher 3 is, as expected, considerably improved over The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, which shed the original game’s rhythmic slicing and dicing in favor of more action-oriented engagements. It worked, but The Witcher 2 was hard, meaning players had to rely heavily on dodge-rolling before mashing the attack buttons. In The Witcher 3, evasion is equally important during challenging combat encounters. The way in which you let loose on some poor soldier, drowner, or griffon, though, requires the sort of care, patience, and precision usually reserved for Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

IGN said:
That style is something that changes as Geralt grows into a higher-level fighter. His standard strikes evolve into beautiful, balletic pirouettes. The core movement of a low-level Geralt and a maxed-out witcher is dramatically different, and that visual representation has a great, accomplished feeling to it. Combos that look better tend to feel better, and it comes as you become better.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/16/kicking-ass-with-the-witcher-3s-complex-combat-ign-first

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Obligatory

2741907-7006337777-get
Lol funny

boskee

So slightly awkward looking combat we have seen is just because at that point of the game [close to beginning] Geralt is still such scrub that he barely can hold a sword? :b

Can't wait to see how animations and flow of combat evolves as you level up.

This combat? I don't think it's awkward at all.

erawsd

I hate when he randomly decides to do his jump 360 spin slash. Seems like that attack would take longer than a normal slash.

But other than that, the combat does look fun.

Well, there is fast and heavy attack and each is modified by a hold, so its hard to say just by looking whether that is random or intentional.

Noobcraft

Anyone have a quick breakdown of what differences to expect between the Xbox One and PS4 versions of this? Are the two pretty much identical outside of resolution? Are there any DLC differences/release time differences for DLC?

erawsd

Pfft.. that needs to be updated, no body wants Orens.

We have a few in-game currency. The main currency - Novigradian Crown. They can be accepted everywhere. In addition, there is the second additional currency - Temerian Orens, that had circulated in the previous games, and Nilfgaardian Florins. After the Nilfgaard conquest of the former Temeria, some traders refuse to accept Orens, preferring to trade for florins. To avoid problems with a variety of currencies, Geralt can collect them, and then, once in Novigrad, exchange [for the crown] in Vivaldi's bank, which was mentioned in the book. Thus, the economic system we got is really complicated and, at the same time, quite realistic.

Tovarisc

Anyone have a quick breakdown of what differences to expect between the Xbox One and PS4 versions of this? Are the two pretty much identical outside of resolution? Are there any DLC differences/release time differences for DLC?

PS4: 1080p30

X1: 900p30

That is only difference. Contents wise game is 1:1 on all platforms and all platforms get DLC + Expansions at same time, none of that timed bullshit.

I hate when he randomly decides to do his jump 360 spin slash. Seems like that attack would take longer than a normal slash.

But other than that, the combat does look fun.

The combat looks much improved from TW2. Only thing that still bothers me is that the hit-reactions from the enemies seem as they were in TW2, which is pretty mediocre.

Noobcraft

PS4: 1080p30

X1: 900p30

That is only difference. Contents wise games are 1:1 on all platforms and all platforms get DLC + Expansions at same time, none of that timed bullshit.
Nice, thanks. Now I just have to decide which console to get it for lol. Trading in Driveclub and COD AW towards this but I'm thinking XB1 because I don't want to take Bloodborne out of my PS4 disc drive; it has been in there since it launched.

Nice, thanks. Now I just have to decide which console to get it for lol. Trading in Driveclub and COD AW towards this but I'm thinking XB1 because I don't want to take Bloodborne out of my PS4 disc drive; it has been in there since it launched.

go for ps4. you're basically paying the same price, might as well get the 1080p one.

Noobcraft

go for ps4. you're basically paying the same price, might as well get the 1080p one.
If it was 720p on the Xbox one I would go ps4, but honestly 900p is good enough for me because the difference isn't that noticeable with my setup. That and I greatly prefer sharing PNG screenshots in the screenshot thread, even if they're 900p natively. Also it will let me hop between bloodborne and tw3 more easily (no disc swapping) if I get tw3 on my Xbox.

If it was 720p on the Xbox one I would go ps4, but honestly 900p is good enough for me because the difference isn't that noticeable with my setup. That and I greatly prefer sharing PNG screenshots in the screenshot thread, even if they're 900p natively. Also it will let me hop between bloodborne and tw3 more easily (no disc swapping)

i thought you can capture uncompressed pics on the ps4, just with additional steps.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Beards and Hair style DLC, OH MY!

FullHD-EN_001.png

I've seen this image a few times now and I'm believing more and more that the revealed pieces of DLC are supposed to be hints, which is to say that the total of 16 will break down as follows: four armour sets, four hair style sets, four alternative skins for companions and four contract missions.

Tovarisc

I'll believe it when I play it. In videos it doesn't look any different.

Have you even played Witcher 2?

Animation quality alone is superior in Witcher 3 and flow of combat is noticeably different. Not even mentioning death of "They see me rollin, they hatin..." -tactic. Witcher 3's evasion move, basically side step, seems to leave you open for punishment if you time it wrongly or to bad direction.

I want to play Witcher 3 in all it's glory....wonder if I should update my video card. My mobo/processor needs a major upgrade too though.....decisions...

Supposedly you need GTX980 to get 1080p60 @ Ultra.

jett

D-Member
Have you even played Witcher 2?

Animation quality alone is superior in Witcher 3 and flow of combat is noticeably different. Not even mentioning death of "They see me rollin, they hatin..." -tactic. Witcher 3's evasion move, basically side step, seems to leave you open for punishment if you time it wrongly or to bad direction.

Supposedly you need GTX980 to get 1080p60 @ Ultra.

Of course I have. I still see all kinds of rolling in W3 vids. Combat in this game still doesn't look like anything that is approaching greatness or outstanding levels. Looks merely competent to me, maybe, like W2.

GameSeeker

"Gold" in 2015 doesn't mean what it used to. There's probably going to be a hefty day one patch.

Exactly. Going "Gold" only mean it's the start of 6 months of patches totaling more GB's than the original game :p

So let's not celebrate going "Gold" but rather celebrate on the day Witcher 3 actually releases. I'm looking forward to it.

Top Bottom