• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox controller Win 10 driver is broken - when will MS fix it?

netBuff

In the beginning of March, MS published a Windows 10 update that broke the Xbone Controller driver. Whenever the gamepad is disconnected from the PC (due to unplugging the cable or timeout with the wireless adapter), the mouse starts being unresponsive (laggy, can't click anything) and every mouse movement induces strange beeping noises. In addition, it becomes impossible to shut the system down (PC will never power off).

Uninstalling the update and manually downloading an older driver version through the arcane Microsoft Update catalog interface fixes the issue (http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=49128). Unfortunately, this seems to work with wired controllers only - I haven't been able to fix this issue with my MS wireless adapter (Update: See http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198191203&postcount=23 for solution).

Even worse, the most recent Cumulative Windows 10 update, released just a few days ago, seems to include the broken driver as well.

With all this talk by Phil Spencer about supporting the PC platform, why is this issue still not fixed? In essence, I'm unable to use my wireless Xbone gamepad, as it will inevitably disconnect by itself after some time and render my system unusable.

Strange, I have a Xbone controller on my Win10 PC and never had this issue.

EDIT: Oh it must be due to the wireless. I use a USB cable.

netBuff

Plenty of people are experiencing this issue. Multiple mentions on GAF, even. Happens as soon as the gamepad is disconnected.

ZOONAMI

I have not had any of the issues you describe with my elite controller or lunar white controller with the wireless adapter. At first the audio through the headphone port on the controller didn't work, then sounded like garbage, but now it works acceptably.

Edit: I don't typically let the controller timeout. Why have it on if you're not using it? You're just wasting batteries. Turn it off by holding the xbox button down.

teraMEL0S

I have had certain games like Lethal League freeze if i connect more than one controller at a time. It will then unfreeze if i unplug all but one controller. Same, repeatable issue with Towerfall. I hope it gets fixed soon.

R3TRODYCE

I had that happen with my wireless Xbone controller and it was the worst. I uninstalled those two updates and it stopped but damn MS...

MY GOD this drove me insane. It happened accidentally with the BDO, where I unplugged my elite controller since it was done charging, and all of a sudden my mouse wouldn't work regardless of what I did. It just made this insane beeping noise every time I did something with it. I had to completely unplug my computer from the wall because it wouldn't even shut down all the way.

I only discovered that it was my controller drivers with the newest windows update while I played the Division.

I have upvoted all instances of this in the windows 10 feedback app. Hope it is fixed soon.

I want to use my controller again :(

Mine's been fine up to now anyways. Ok read the rest of the post, I've yet to run into any mouse lag etc from unplugging the controller guess I must have been lucky or something.

This is interesting there was a very similiar issue with the original Saitek HOTAS driver for Win 10. If you unplugged it, the cursor would become unresponsive and beep constantly until you rebooted. That issue was resolved months ago though.

Dineren

Banned
I just had that happen to me yesterday. I had no idea what the cause was, just figured it was a weird one-off bug.

alexbull_uk

WTF, I was literally Googling this problem less than 5 minutes ago. I could not figure out what it was for the life of me.

Tbis happened to me and its the most frustrating shit ever. I uninstalled the update, nice to know its the XB1 wireless adapter

netBuff

Head.spawn

Did Microsoft acknowledge the bug yet?

Well, it's not a universal bug, I'm not sure why OP is framing it out to be that. It definitely isn't the case for me at all; I even tried to make it happening by loading up games and quitting games along with variations of the unplugging/replugging the usb cable from the computer, unplugging/replugging the actual adapter from the usb extension cable, resyncing the controller over and over etc etc...

No bug happening here. So, it's definitely not a universal issue, but hopefully they can get it fixed for those with the problem. I sent a link to that previous thread over twitter to them, hopefully they can get it sorted out.

Has anyone experienced this bug and NOT used either Teamspeak or Uplay? Seems to be a lot of overlap between those two programs, this new (broken) driver, and having the mouse issues the OP speaks of. I use Uplay a lot - first because of FC Primal and now The Division.

me0wish

This controller just keeps disappointing me, I have all the issues OP mentioned plus:

1- Controllers and receiver will randomly not lose connected/not sync. I have to keep plugging the receiver till they decide to sync.

2- Doesn't work with FF8 after the update, the menu after the intro is unskippable, for some reason you can only skip it with a keyboard and the keyboard won't be recognized in FF8 if an xbone controller is connected.

3- Some games have left trigger stuck, there are workarounds, it's very annoying and I can't seem to find a way to fix this issue after the update.

4- I don't own the game, but still worth mentioning:
https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/49niwd/z/d0t8zo8
(Didn't try the fix yet, will try tomorrow)

I've tested this on various set ups and different controllers/receivers/pcs, and I thought that the pcs got a virus from the weird beeping noises. Shame on you MS, this is complete unacceptable bullshit.

Edit: I don't use either team speak or Uplay, infact, one of the computers that I've tested this on has nothing on it besides Steam.

LordAmused

Has anyone experienced this bug and NOT used either Teamspeak or Uplay? Seems to be a lot of overlap between those two programs, this new (broken) driver, and having the mouse issues the OP speaks of. I use Uplay a lot - first because of FC Primal and now The Division.

Well, Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Simulator don't work here with the wireless adapter for Xbox One, and for anybody else who wants to use it, as far as I know. Multiple reports on the Steam forums of the ingame mouse not even working when having the controller plugged in, in both games. SCS Software has acknowledged the bug but still no fix.

Damptoe

Neo Member
I don't seem to be getting this issue on wireless. I better watch out though I guess.

Does anyone know if there are any plans for some sort of battery indicator (other than Steam Big Picture or rumble turning off)?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

It's uplay for me, got the bug last week with far cry. My brother got it 1st time he shut off his controller after playing Divsion.

Debating weather to try that fix or just wait it out, using the 360 controller now

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Yeah, started happening to me last week after I closed MGSV in Steam.

Just purchased the wireless adapter and controller. Everything is fine, although Windows 10 didn't install the driver for the adapter, I had to force it. Which is odd. Maybe I have a different controller driver.

Megauap

The only problem I have with the Xbox One Controller on my PC (via USB) is that every time I connect it a C++ Error Message pops up. But it works great anyway.

netBuff

1- Controllers and receiver will randomly not lose connected/not sync. I have to keep plugging the receiver till they decide to sync.

I had to buy an USB extension cord to move the receiver closer to where I normally hold my controller while gaming to stop it from losing connection every now and then. Pretty annoying, the Xbone gamepad seems to suffer a very weak wireless connection - never had this problem using the DS4 or 360 controller.

Jin

I have this problem when I play Far Cry Primal with a controller. Once I exit the game and the wireless controller turns off I get the beeping problem. This only happens with Primal. I can play Dark Souls 2 and Resident Evil 0 with a controller and have it shut off without issue.

Vlaphor

I've had all kind of issues with the Xbox One controller and Windows 10, and the recent patch only made things worse. It's to the point that I've plugged my original 360 controller back in and I'm getting used to the feel of the analog sticks again.

Gowens

Neo Member
These bugs have basically ruined a few whole days of mine.

My issue involves the triggers not working. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, rolled back, forced the latest after a roll back and even did a fresh install of windows.

I still have the same issue and there's been more than a few times where I wanted to break this controller in half.

There really are not words to describe how much I hate Windows 10.

Indelible

I had problems with it disconnecting at first but I changed the USB slot I had it in and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

Anyone fix this? I followed the guide to delete the windows update and block further updates but after 2 days it has happened again and I cant play games without having to hard reset my computer.

netBuff

Anyone fix this? I followed the guide to delete the windows update and block further updates but after 2 days it has happened again and I cant play games without having to hard reset my computer.

There's a more recent update that includes the broken driver as well. You need to go through the driver installation steps again.

And you should turn "Give me updates for other Microsoft products" back on, as it doesn't block the gamepad update - it's part of a core Windows update.

xVodevil

This for weeks now without a fix... funny idea of caring and loving the PC as a gaming platform.

Also this last two updates broke GTA V for me, no other game I know of, but this one was unplayable. Mostly I couldn't even start the game, and when I could, fps was all over the place, sometimes like I had half the min req PC on my 970...
At least there is the option to backup and hide these updates...

taco543

Yeah I'm dealing with it. For the longest while it made stop playing games on my PC because I would have to hold the power button to power it off all the way after playing a game.

Bizzquik

We're going nuts at the Pinnacle Game Profiler site wondering why that program's emulation with an Xbox One controller now won't work.
"Delete the Update" is a work-around some are using there, but I don't want to do that.

Top Bottom