• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox controller Win 10 driver is broken - when will MS fix it?

Jinroh

I've had this issue since the cumulative update and it drove me so mad I though reformatting would fix it. Alas, the problem still persists.

There's another bug I encountered, when the controller is connected (wireless elite), Trackmania turbo crashes at startup. I have to connect the controller after I start the game and everything's fine.

Does anyone else have the same issue? On a side note the division has become unplayable as well.

Dmented

Banned
Also have this problem, I thought it was only me though. Glad to know others are having this problem as well so MS can fix it.

BTW: Using Wired only. Don't have the Wireless dongle yet.

Mivey

Maybe they will release a working driver today, but with an inbuilt timer that makes it stop working after Aprils Fools.

Awakened

There's another bug I encountered, when the controller is connected (wireless elite), Trackmania turbo crashes at startup. I have to connect the controller after I start the game and everything's fine.
It's been reported certain things like GTA V and Uplay have CPU spiking issues when Xbox One controllers are connected with the latest updates. Which can cause crashes. I updated the firmware on my Elite and still get that problem with GTA V. The menus take forever to load up and it crashes before it can get in game.

Well I used my controller for the first time in a while and ran into this twice. Once after quitting Elite Dangerous, I only use the controller for the planetary buggy. I didn't even use it but I turned it on when I launched the game. Once I quit the mouse became completely unresponsive and I had to force a shutdown.

Then I turned it on to play AC Syndicate and the same thing happened. Gotta love this new commitment to PC gaming, thanks Microsoft!

zedge

Any news on this being fixed? I have mine unplugged from my pc to avoid the issue. So annoying. Even if I don't use it, if my pc goes into sleep with it plugged in I get the laggy mouse with beeping noises, have to manually shut down my pc. Its been weeks now. Come the fuck on.

I had this issue once, pretty recently, while playing The Division.

Then I epoxy glued the MicroUSB cable to the controller. Hasn't happened since.

ClearData

Thanks for the update OP. I haven't used my controller on the ol' PC in several weeks so I don't think I've run into that issue yet. (Thankfully) But those are some serious problems that broken driver causes. What is the best method for reporting that kind of error? Because I would certainly add my voice to others calling for a fix as soon as possible.

I read recently on the Windows 10 Reddit it's supposed to be fixed in the next insider build, hopefully the fix will reach the public build soon as it's already taken along time

Oh crap!! Gonna test this out. I thought it was uplay that caused this. Every time I played the division or farcry mouse stopped working and I had to manually press the power button to shut down.

This is the weirdest thing, but the issue has seemingly been fixed on my end, except if uplay is open. If the controller shuts off/disconnects with uplay in the background/taskbar, I get this nasty bug. Otherwise, the problem is gone (latest updates installed, haven't done the solution in this thread).

I recently started GTA V a week back and when I returned to it a couple days ago it was completely unplayable. My CPU usage shot up to 100% and regardless of how much I scaled down settings the problem persisted.

After hours of trying other online solutions I was lucky enough to throw the right words into Google and came across someone else who started having the exact same problem this week. Turns out that the problem had something to do with Xinput drivers in a recent update.

I unplug my controller and launch the game with keyboard and mouse -- 60 FPS, running better than ever. Right now, my solution is to plug in the controller after the game has been started.

This is the weirdest thing, but the issue has seemingly been fixed on my end, except if uplay is open. If the controller shuts off/disconnects with uplay in the background/taskbar, I get this nasty bug. Otherwise, the problem is gone (latest updates installed, haven't done the solution in this thread).

Same here. Have only ever had it happen twice and both times it was with uplay open. Never happens if uplay is closed.

I get the weird mouse behavior (along with a strange beeping accompanying it) any time the controller disconnects while Uplay is open, and now I found out it happens with TeamSpeak as well.

Good thing I have little reason to use those. Just gotta be careful.

vash2695

So I use xpadder and had issues after this update as well, but I made a different fix than any listed here. Instead of installing the full driver, I just replaced the .sys file so the version reported to Windows would remain the same. This SHOULD mean that updates will ignore it.

Here ya go:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, here's how I did it:

I installed a VM of the latest windows 10 ISO and located the driver file for the xbone controller, then saved a copy of that to my host OS. I took ownership of the xinputhid.sys driver file (I'll detail this in instructions below) and replaced the newer 10586.122 driver with the 10586.0 version. Doing this causes windows to still think it is using the 10586.122 driver, so it should not be overwritten until another update (newer than .122) comes out at some point, but for now the controller works normally for both xpadder and the games that I tested (unlike the generic driver that I also tested). This fix should still be considered temporary, as there may be some issues which I did not encounter, or a future update may overwrite this fix. I take no responsibility for any problems that occur from this fix (If you do have any issues, you can feel free to report them in this thread and I will reply when I can!), and you should follow the instructions below AT YOUR OWN RISK.

INSTRUCTIONS:

So first off, you CANNOT have your controller plugged in or connected wirelessly, and you must be logged in as an admin on your PC.

1. Locate the driver file (xinputhid.sys) under C:/Windows/System32/Drivers
2. Right click the file, select "Properties", then go to the "Security" tab
3. Click "Advanced", then select "Change" on the Owner line, and type in the user name of the primary account on your PC (if you use a Microsoft account, this will be your email)
4. After typing in your user name, click on "Check names", then press OK to close out of the Owner and Advanced properties windows
5. Close out of the Properties window and reopen it, go back to the Security tab and give the "Users" group full control of the file
6. Rename the file to xinputhid.sys.old, or move it to a backup folder
7. Download this file and place it in the location of the original

naitosan

I'm experiencing the same thing when using Xbox One controller wirelessly. It's annoying. Never had this problem until earlier in March. At first I thought my laptop was going too hot or something wrong with it.

Hope Microsoft will release a update to fix this soon. In meantime, I'm going to plug USB in until then.

Jinroh

So I use xpadder and had issues after this update as well, but I made a different fix than any listed here. Instead of installing the full driver, I just replaced the .sys file so the version reported to Windows would remain the same. This SHOULD mean that updates will ignore it.
Your fix worked perfectly, windows doesn't crash anymore and games are fine at startup. Thanks a lot.

KainXVIII

I have strange disconnect issues with xbone wireless adapter, i need to unplug and plug in every time i reboot my pc? But some usb ports don't have this issue (like front panel usb ports), but usb 3.0 ports on back of pc case has.

In the beginning of March, MS published a Windows 10 update that broke the Xbone Controller driver. Whenever the gamepad is disconnected from the PC (due to unplugging the cable or timeout with the wireless adapter), the mouse starts being unresponsive (laggy, can't click anything) and every mouse movement induces strange beeping noises. In addition, it becomes impossible to shut the system down (PC will never power off).

Uninstalling the update and manually downloading an older driver version through the arcane Microsoft Update catalog interface fixes the issue (http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=49128). Unfortunately, this seems to work with wired controllers only - I haven't been able to fix this issue with my MS wireless adapter (Update: See http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198191203&postcount=23 for solution).

Even worse, the most recent Cumulative Windows 10 update, released just a few days ago, seems to include the broken driver as well.

With all this talk by Phil Spencer about supporting the PC platform, why is this issue still not fixed? In essence, I'm unable to use my wireless Xbone gamepad, as it will inevitably disconnect by itself after some time and render my system unusable.

PC will NEVER power off? Did you try unplugging it? :)

iceatcs

Got two computers, one is Windows 10 free upgrade, and other is bought Windows 10.

Free upgrade one have lot of problems with Xbox one controller, other seems no problem at all.

xkramz

Any fix for the issue where if ur controller is on and on standby , and it to auto turns off, it'll lock your whole pc and u gotta hard reset your pc?

Jinroh

I have strange disconnect issues with xbone wireless adapter, i need to unplug and plug in every time i reboot my pc? But some usb ports don't have this issue (like front panel usb ports), but usb 3.0 ports on back of pc case has.
Yeah same here, it's a pain in the ass. If you don't reconnect it manually it just won't detect the controller.

beeswax

Has everyone affected tried connecting their controller via USB and using the Xbox Accessories app to update the firmware? I've done this on my Elite and my computer hasn't gone into a freezing beepy fit since. I did update the XInput driver back to the latest version too.

I take it back, this is still a problem for me too, it was just I hadn't played Assassin's Creed Syndicate again since the 'fix'. Played just now though and got the beeping fit. Reverting to old driver again until Microsoft pull their finger out. They are going to pull their finger out? Right?

My pc is up to date as of the reboot I did this morning but after 30 minutes of dirt rally earlier I had the bug kick in again, this time the mouse was still moving around at full speed but clicks were beeps and not responding.

The last few weeks i've been scared to use my controller for games and it's pissing me off. PoS driver should be rolled back.

Even with recent new Insider Preview build, it didn't fix driver issues. :(

I'd be upset, but as long as the old driver continues to work I don't care at all.

My pc is up to date as of the reboot I did this morning but after 30 minutes of dirt rally earlier I had the bug kick in again, this time the mouse was still moving around at full speed but clicks were beeps and not responding.

The last few weeks i've been scared to use my controller for games and it's pissing me off.

Just follow the instructions. Remove the current driver and install one of the older ones. Problem insta-solved.

Momentary

Banned
I have to flip flop between old and new drivers to get certain games to work properly with the controller. It's such a bother.

Top Bottom