• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox controller Win 10 driver is broken - when will MS fix it?

And this is where I remember why I gave up on PC gaming. It is always something, and the multiple configuration of parts means often no one has the same issues as you and it is a pain to nail down the issue.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
And this is where I remember why I gave up on PC gaming. It is always something, and the multiple configuration of parts means often no one has the same issues as you and it is a pain to nail down the issue.

Yeah, this is pretty out of the norm and not really typical of the modern PC experience.

What OP is talking about happened to me yesterday for the first time. I don't typically use my controller to play most games, but I was flying around in JC3 and then decided to hop on R6:Siege and just left the controller on the desk. Once it turned itself off in the middle of the match it left me unable to use my mouse at all. I couldn't move laterally at all and the horizontal movement was very jittery. It definitely caught me by surprise and the only thing I could do was restart the PC completely. Sucked I had to abandon the team as I'm easily the best Siege Sledge player ever, that ever was, or ever will be and they were forced to suffer a loss.

Good to know what caused it though. It's annoying, but I can't really seeing it affecting me in the future now that I know. Still, it'd be nice if MSFT gave a little more love to the controllers support on WIN10.

Its the Xbox One Wireless Adapter and the Update that has a conflict. Its been like this all month and not sure why it hasn't been fixed yet.

Remove this update: KB3140768

This fixed it for me. Annoying as hell I thought my motherboard was fucked.

Just be aware that W10 will keep updating with this update without any notification. You will need to hide the update with the their tool.

Its dumb that you are forced into updates honestly. They will need to fix that going forward.

Branson

Just be aware that W10 will keep updating with this update without any notification. You will need to hide the update with the their tool.

Its dumb that you are forced into updates honestly. They will need to fix that going forward.

Yeah I did that too. Took me a second to figure out which one it was but it worked

Maddanth

Holy shit, so it's not just me lol. Just recently upgraded to win 10 and that's when it started happening, but only once the controller is disconnected due to me taking a break etc.

Akoi

I had this happen when I first was messing around with the division... I thought it was just me... Really scared me and I had to hard reset my PC multiple times... I was thinking it was a uplay big or something...

ghibli99

Hardly a reason to give up on PC gaming. In a way, with the amount of updates, patches, etc. you get on modern consoles, they aren't that different from PCs... and oftentimes more difficult to troubleshoot/fix.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Works fine for me, for what it's worth. It had to install a new driver when I upgraded to windows 10

Maelstorm1226

Neo Member
I discovered this nasty little bug during The Division launch. PC would "freeze" up after I stopped playing. I later found the thread on NeoGAF and saw it was bug.

I bought one of those Mayflash Wii U Pro Controller adapters for my PC and switched over to my Wii U Pro controller. No issues since. I'll probably just stick with my Wii U controller for a long time.

xboxster

Yeah, I noticed this at some point between games and emulators. I came to the conclusion that anyone who came from Win 7/8 would be fine, while fresh Win 10 installs would have to get a totally different driver.

Kinda sucks that it isn't just the same driver.

w0s

I have intermittent issues. At first I had to sync the controller every time. Then it was fine for awhile and now it seems messed up again. It really is a pain in the ass and a fucking joke that yhey can't just make it work properly.

It would be one thing if the problem was obvious.

But there are people out there that still don't even know what the problem is, and that is what is truly upsetting.

The good news is that there was a fix and it came in decent time.

The magic of the internet is what makes PC gaming a sensible choice. :D

It would be one thing if the problem was obvious.

But there are people out there that still don't even know what the problem is, and that is what is truly upsetting.

The good news is that there was a fix and it came in decent time.

The magic of the internet is what makes PC gaming a sensible choice. :D

Yup, thanks for bringing this up OP, I legitimately thought I had a nasty virus on my PC, since this has happened multiple times. I hope MS fixes this asap, that is one nasty bug.

Parsnip

I haven't had this happen in a while, did they fix it in the next cumulative update?
The update that broke it was March 1, they had a new cumulative update (KB3140768) on March 8.

I haven't had this happen in a while, did they fix it in the next cumulative update?
The update that broke it was March 1, they had a new cumulative update (KB3140768) on March 8.

I just tried this based off your post. Have been trying to get it to happen again all day and it hasn't happened. I haven't done anything like uninstall drivers either.

Noticed I had a new update installed today (KB3140741), maybe that fixed it?

Sydle

I unplugged mine from my desktop to use on my Surface a couple of nights ago (was testing Steam streaming) and then plugged it into my desktop last night to play Tembo. No issues. My PC is up to date.

I'll be sure to leave it plugged in case I just got lucky.

Never had this issue. I had the batteries die mid-game this past weekend. Slammed some new batteries in, resumed playing. No issues with the mouse or anything like that.

We're going nuts at the Pinnacle Game Profiler site wondering why that program's emulation with an Xbox One controller now won't work.
"Delete the Update" is a work-around some are using there, but I don't want to do that.

Though this is a bummer. Pinnacle is essential for older games that don't support controllers. Hope they find a fix soon.

netBuff

Does anyone know if there are any plans for some sort of battery indicator (other than Steam Big Picture or rumble turning off)?

The since released update for the "Xbox Accessories" app (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/xbox-accessories/9nblggh30xj3) has added a battery indicator

zEDi5MZ.png

npa189

So this is whats happening! Its been so annoying trying to play stardew valley. Please fix this! I'm tired of hard crash my PC just to fix it. Also I really hate they way windows forcibly updates.

I've noticed this issue lately and i had no idea what was causing it! its happened about 3 times this month and usually shortly after finishing up playing a game on my pc with the controller connected.

I did wonder if it was controller related...

Parsnip

I haven't had this happen in about 3 weeks now I think, makes me wonder what exactly is causing it.
Something specific that only some games do or whatever. It's weird.

I'll have to test later to see if I encounter it. For me, it seemed to happen when uplay was running and then when my controller turned off.

netBuff

Just checked whether the issue is still present with the latest Windows updates installed: Yes. Deleted the device drivers and let Windows automatically reinstall the device. Windows Update is still serving the broken February 22 driver.

Pretty sad state of affairs.

beeswax

Has everyone affected tried connecting their controller via USB and using the Xbox Accessories app to update the firmware? I've done this on my Elite and my computer hasn't gone into a freezing beepy fit since. I did update the XInput driver back to the latest version too.

KainXVIII

Has everyone affected tried connecting their controller via USB and using the Xbox Accessories app to update the firmware? I've done this on my Elite and my computer hasn't gone into a freezing beepy fit since. I did update the XInput driver back to the latest version too.

Yes, still freezes (but i have standard controller, not elite)

I had a similar issue where after playing Trackmania Turbo with the Xbox One controller (wired), the mouse would behave exactly like described in the OP.

And yesterday while trying to play episode 2 of TWD Michonne, just having the controller plugged would make the game stutter like crazy. Unplugging it, would bring the framerate right back at 60 fps.

The following fixed both issues :

Open Device Manager
Right Click "Xbox One Controller"
Select Update Driver Software
Browse on my PC
Let me pick from a list
"Microsoft Xbox One Controller"

npa189

So I am like 50% sure this issue killed one of my external hard drives. The number of hard shut downs I've had to do is nuts. Windows has always been weird with my TV setup going to my HDMI receiver then to the TV and I don't think this bug is helping. Does shutting down the controller manually help? We shouldn't even be dealing with this!

Bravoexo

I updated the firmware of my Xbox One Elite (connected to a Xbox One Wireless Adapter) via the Xbox Accessories App on Windows 10 to fix it this. After doing that the timeout disconnections of an idle controller will not anymore trigger the lagging and mouse/trackpad click beeps... Saw this solution from a comment on a YT video about the problem happening on The Division.

netBuff

I updated the firmware of my Xbox One Elite (connected to a Xbox One Wireless Adapter) via the Xbox Accessories App on Windows 10 to fix it this. After doing that the timeout disconnections of an idle controller will not anymore trigger the lagging and mouse/trackpad click beeps... Saw this solution from a comment on a YT video about the problem happening on The Division.

Doesn't seem to work with the regular controller: Latest firmware is installed, but the issue still occurring.

Does shutting down the controller manually help? We shouldn't even be dealing with this!

Same issue when turning off the gamepad manually.

npa189

Just did the update on my elite, hopefully it solves the issue. This controller and the dongle were way too expensive for issues this basic.

Cyriades

We're going nuts at the Pinnacle Game Profiler site wondering why that program's emulation with an Xbox One controller now won't work.
"Delete the Update" is a work-around some are using there, but I don't want to do that.

Program still crash because of this MS update.

Freiya

wow sometimes I love this forum. I had no idea what the hell was causing this. I actually thought it was a problem with nvidia drivers, so happy I saw this thread.

televator

I'm playing the Mass Effect series on Win10 with a 360 pad right now. With community controler mods that were likely made for Win8.1 at best. Haven't noticed a problem.

etakarine

Neo Member
Thank you guys for bringing this up, I thought I was going insane this weekend. Had to constantly force reboot the computer.

Parsnip

mine isn't doing it anymore. i wish i had fix for you dudes but it just stopped, no idea why

Mine has been fine for like 3 weeks now. I only had it right after the original patch early March, but since it stopped happening I assumed that the next cumulative update fixed it.

But seems other people are still reporting that it's happening to them, so it's quite curious.

Top Bottom