• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox controller Win 10 driver is broken - when will MS fix it?

Dave_6

Damn this still isn't fixed?

Edit: Haven't restarted my PC in a couple weeks so there is an update finally?

I'll play some DS3 later and report back if there is any issues.

That's what I'm doing now :D. Seems to be working fine after I turn the controller off. But only time will tell.

Are we ever going to get Elite keyboard mapping functionality on PC? I'm giving up hope.

Jonbo298

Update is successful for me. W10 doesn't kill the mouse when unplugging it and also seems to have fixed games where the controller outright wasn't working (American Truck Simulator for example). Just insane it took a month to put this patch out.

Awakened

I guess they just reverted the driver with that update, since the triggers don't work right in Gunvolt again :/

Better than the mouse problems when unplugging the controller I suppose.

Parsnip

I guess they just reverted the driver with that update, since the triggers don't work right in Gunvolt again :/

Better than the mouse problems when unplugging the controller I suppose.

This seems to be the case, Gone Home (and probably a bunch of other Unity games) is broken again after this update.

me0wish

Wings of Vi is broken.
Rivals of Aether is a mess.
Some other random games are completely unplayable.
Great controller, unacceptably broken crap drivers.

I posted about this issue in the division it thinking it was tied to the game. It's a known bug with the updated wireless controller adapter. The fix itself is in the anniversary edition Windows 10 update which is slated for release soon. In the meantime you can manually rollback drivers to a previous version which fixes the issue. I'm on mobile right now so it's hard for me to link but doing a quick search will net you multiple Reddit threads with people complaining about the same issue and solutions for said issue

Sky87

I posted about this issue in the division it thinking it was tied to the game. It's a known bug with the updated wireless controller adapter. The fix itself is in the anniversary edition Windows 10 update which is slated for release soon. In the meantime you can manually rollback drivers to a previous version which fixes the issue. I'm on mobile right now so it's hard for me to link but doing a quick search will net you multiple Reddit threads with people complaining about the same issue and solutions for said issue

It's not the wireless adapter as i'm using a wired controller.

naitosan

Nope, the problem is still there. Usually when I play Lightning Returns or any games within 10 minutes, fps suddenly drop to 10s or 5s whatever I move around. Really annoying.

I'm using wireless adapter with XB1 controller BTW. Hope this get fixed or upcoming Win10 Anniversary update...

xVodevil

Looks like there are no more mouse beeping problems, finally.
Also GTA V seems to be back to normal, no spikes and stutter. But damn, how could this happen, and even so take this long to be fixed...

GRIMREEFZ

FIX IS HERE!! -i had this issue and found a fix. install the xbox accessories app from win10 store. plug in the controller - launch the app and update the driver for the controller and restart - this is a good fix and issue wont happen again :)

In Win 7 I keep getting C++ runtime errors every time I plug it in, what the fuuuuuck. Doesn't seem to effect anything but I do love Microsoft hardware and Microsoft software being incompatible.

smh

This issue seems gone, but now my controller constantly disconnects and the only fix is unplugging the USB adapter and plugging it back in. Sometimes I can play for hours without it happening. Other times it's unplayable as it happens every few minutes.

Never had any issues with the 360 adapter, I don't know how this one turned out so bad. I have found tons of other people online talking about the issue, but there seems to be no clue on how to fix it.

So, it's not all Unity games that are busted with the latest XB1 controller driver then? Firewatch works fine. Minecraft Story Mode doesn't, neither does Gone Home.

Deepo

Anniversary update brings new drivers for xbone controller (15.07.2016), hope it fixes something.

It has so far broken Steam Big Picture for me; it detects every input twice (and it's detected as 2 XInput devices within Big Picture settings). Can anyone confirm they're seeing the same problem?

b9GqLyt.png

I'm amazed how MS has kept screwing up this driver now. I'm almost ready to don my tin foil hat and fall in with Tim Sweeney. Not quite, but it really is frustrating.

Parsnip

Downloading anniversary update at the moment, looking forward to testing couple of games I've specifically kept installed to test this problem.

chadskin

It has so far broken Steam Big Picture for me; it detects every input twice (and it's detected as 2 XInput devices within Big Picture settings). Can anyone confirm they're seeing the same problem?

I'm amazed how MS has kept screwing up this driver now. I'm almost ready to don my tin foil hat and fall in with Tim Sweeney. Not quite, but it really is frustrating.

UGH. Hope either MS or Valve can fix this quickly.

NeOak

Sweeny was right!

It begins!

kek

Deepo

Some people have confirmed that they're not seeing the issue, so it's probably on my end. Sorry for causing a commotion, I'll take my tinfoil hat and go debug the problem now.

lutewaffle

Neo Member
Tested out the new S controller over bluetooth with the Windows 10 Anniversary update. Everything seems to be working fine. Tested Forza 6 Apex, Rocket League, Hitman, Witcher 3, and Bioshock Infinite. Tested big picture mode too, it worked fine except the guide button doesn't do anything. Also, the triggers didn't rumble in Forza over bluetooth, but did with the controller connected by usb.

Also I have no clue how to get audio to output from the head phone jack.

Edit: Tested MGSV as well, it works fine. I think the guide button doesn't work for me because it brings up that little xbox menu.

Well everything was nice the other day and now today after the Win 10 update I connect the controller to the wireless adapter and about 1 second later it just disconnect. Ugh.

Some people have confirmed that they're not seeing the issue, so it's probably on my end. Sorry for causing a commotion, I'll take my tinfoil hat and go debug the problem now.

I just noticed, I've the same issue with my controller and Steam. Also, sometimes I have to unplug the wireless adapter and then plug it back in again to get it to work at all.

Edit: Also the LB and RB don't work for me in Big Picture mode and my Retroarch configuration is broken.

SpokkX

Well everything was nice the other day and now today after the Win 10 update I connect the controller to the wireless adapter and about 1 second later it just disconnect. Ugh.

Same for me, controllers disconnected after 1 sec

I had to resync all my xbox one controllers with the sync button, after that it works as expected

Works in all games i tried and also in steam big picture

I bought the new S controller for PC and have had some weird experiences. After about an hour of Rocket League I get insane input lag until I turn the controller off and on again. Vibration doesn't work at all in Windows 10 games if I turn them on first, I have to turn on a non Windows 10 game, make sure vibration is working then turn that off and go back to the Windows game for it to work.

Same for me, controllers disconnected after 1 sec

I had to resync all my xbox one controllers with the sync button, after that it works as expected

Works in all games i tried and also in steam big picture

I plugged my controller into the Xbox to check for an update for the controller and it said it was all up to date and now upon reconnecting it to the wireless adapter, everything seems fine. Weird but ok. Glad it's working.

Parsnip

Anyone tested Gone Home or Ittle Dew? Both Unity games, and it doesn't seem like either of them even see the controller on my end.

beeswax

I too had to re-sync my Elite after the Anniversary update, at first it was just instantly disconnecting. Also seeing the Steam Big Picture behaviour mentioned where it lists 2 controllers and every action is registered twice. Way to go Microsoft.

Sky87

For people having problems on Steam, have you updated Steam lately? It updated for me today, and Windows 10 compatibility was in the release notes.

So, as far as I can tell - the Xbox One is now mapped the same as the Xbox 360 controller when used as a DInput device in the latest update. So now games that were busted with an Xbox One controller (like a lot of Unity games using stock input, Final Fantasy 13, etc) should work fine. I can confirm I get double input in Big Picture using it wireless but the controller seems to be working as it is supposed to in the stuff I tested.

Cheekygrin

Neo Member

Deepo, I get the exact same problem with the XBox One Wireless Adapter, after installing AU. Sees two controllers; double inputs everywhere. Anyone found a fix/workaround whilst staying wireless?

Ive resynced, rebooted, installed steam client updates, even removed the entire device from Device Manager and had it be re-detected and driver re-installed. Same problem presists
t2xxCr6.png

PhaZZe

Banned
Yup, I get the same thing every time I plug mine in too.

that problem happend to me when i installed xbox one drivers and i already have xbox 360 drives, so i uninstalled xbox 360, installed one drivers and then installed 360.
that fixed the weird c++ error.

sprinkles

Maybe the Win 10 Anniversary version will finally let me start up Steam Big Picture with the Guide Button again, but I am not hopeful.

Parsnip

Did some testing and it looks like if you are using the controller as wireless with the proprietary dongle, you are probably seeing the double xinput device in big picture and elsewhere.
This also makes it so that some (all? I only tested Gone Home and Ittle Dew) Unity games don't work at all anymore. No controller input whatsoever.
I don't know if the new bluetooth controllers will have the same issue.

Using the controller with a cable seems to work fine, no weird double xinput and Unity games work as expected.

Maybe the Win 10 Anniversary version will finally let me start up Steam Big Picture with the Guide Button again, but I am not hopeful.

The gamebar is blocking you on that. Even if you disabled the xbox app dvr, the gamebar still hogs the button to itself. Try enabling dvr, running a game, hitting Win+G to open gamebar overlay and disable the guide button functionality there. And then disable dvr again if you want.

There really is no one at Microsoft who monitors the XB1 controller in Windows, is there?

Had to re-sync the controller after the update (this really is going to scupper some people, especially those who don't notice the update install). It doesn't work in Table Top Racing either (Unity).

me0wish

Both FF8 and Among the sleep aren't working at all, gj Microsoft.

On the positive side, both Rivals of Aether and Starwhal are working perfectly, can't wait for the update that will break them again.

I always have issues with random japanese games.

Grandia 2 spinning camera (had to disable camera movement)
Dragonball Xenoverse was also a shitshow.

They really need to toggle the ability to switch the triggers to 1 Z axes instead of 2 separate ones.

Top Bottom