• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Two should be a DX12+ PC and release in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

LewieP

Sell the hardware at cost in order to expand the reach of Xbox Live and make money from that.

Why would anyone subscribe to Xbox Live on a PC? There is free multiplayer on Steam.

What sort of "at cost" are you talking about here? Suggest a price and theorise what kind of specs a PC at that kind of cost might be.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
^ 2019 is the safest bet

Can you give something for further reading on this subject?

I don't have any links, but the story is something i've heard for years now. Nvidia refusing to give MS a discount or a die shrink opportunity for the GPU in the original Xbox for a revision, thus having to cut their losses early and move to a more efficient environment. That's why they went to AMD.

Why would anyone subscribe to Xbox Live on a PC? There is free multiplayer on Steam.

What sort of "at cost" are you talking about here? Suggest a price and theorise what kind of specs a PC at that kind of cost might be.

$399, 5x the power of the Xbox One.

I don't have any links, but the story is something i've heard for years now. Nvidia refusing to give MS a discount or a die shrink opportunity for the GPU in the original Xbox for a revision, thus having to cut their losses early and move to a more efficient environment. That's why they went to AMD.

Oh, thanks for the information!

Usobuko

Banned
I am also in the opinion that the next Xbox should come sooner but at the same time converge with Microsoft existing strength.

Try to craft out a comparable advantage against other platforms.

Three

^ 2019 is the safest bet

It was actually the HDD cost that sunk the original xbox. MS did have a problem with Nvidia too though.
when the PS3 was getting it's ass whooped but turned it around.

Not this again.

QaaQer

Oh yes they are. Valve is direct competition for every console manufacturer, and a growing one at that.

Console market is different to PC market. Yes, on gaf there are people who switch and see them as direct competition, but gaf is niche^2.

If you are talking just AIO steamboxes, then yes that is competition. However, the need to make money on HW sales, the lack of advertising, and the absence of exclusive must-have games makes steamboxes uncompetitive. Console + controller + packin game for $299 is what they would need to hit. I'm not sure what kind of PC can be made for that, esp when the HW manufacturers need to make money on each unit. I'm guessing a pretty garbage one tho.

Krejlooc

Banned
Console market is different to PC market. Yes, on gaf there are people who switch and see them as direct competition, but gaf is niche^2.

If you are talking just AIO steamboxes, then yes that is competition. However, the need to make money on HW sales, the lack of advertising, and the absence of exclusive must-have games makes steamboxes uncompetitive. Console + controller + packin game for $299 is what they would need to hit. I'm not sure what kind of PC can be made for that, esp when the HW manufacturers need to make money on each unit. I'm guessing a pretty garbage one tho.

You were able to get the alienware steam machine at times last year for under $299. Came with several games and a controller.

krang

2017 would be far too early unless it has full 100% backwards compatibility, and even then I dont think consumers would be too thrilled

Yeah basically this. If they are going to encroach on this generation's "natural" length then 100% backwards compatibility is required. Even then, 2017 is too early.

I wonder if they could licence the core architecture of the next console out to third parties - same specs, enough to play the games, but with third parties offering their own design with their own choice of non-essential functions on top, offering a range of prices at retail. Microsoft could then do what they're sort of doing with the Surface and release their own flagship version of the Xbox. Of course the OS would be completely managed by Microsoft.

It's cute when people think that markets outside of the UK and US matter.

There is no such thing as winning or losing, there's only green to be made, and they're making green.

Im without words. What a statement.

OT: While disappointing that XBox One does not have the lead like last generation......it is still making money. Why should MS cut that short?

Cranster

Banned
Releasing a new game system too soon would be the worst thing Microsoft does. The Xbox One is far from being dead in the water and aslong as they make a profit and the Xbox One continues to sell they are not going to turn their backs on the existing userbase.

Japan is the only major market they will continue to fail at but that is hardly Microsoft's fault. Their isn't much of a market for a foreign gaming device in Japan and that won't change anytime soon.

evilr

Banned
They're still making money even if they're losing to Sony. That wasn't the case with the OG Xbox. It's selling well enough.

Xbox hasn't made a penny in its 12 years of availability. I don't understand the making money argument.

Haha this is hilarious, especially when they are making money so they most likely don't care and when the PS3 was getting it's ass whooped but turned it around.

Is it? News to me. How much has it made exactly? By my accord the brand is currently at about -$6 billion.

Releasing a new game system too soon would be the worst thing Microsoft does. The Xbox One is far from being dead in the water and aslong as they make a profit and the Xbox One continues to sell they are not going to turn their backs on the existing userbase .

And another. Put it this way, if Sony ran PlayStation 4 the same Xbox One is ran, Sony wouldn't be a company anymore. It's lost that much money.

Let's burn away billions of R&D and rush a product to the market because we're being outsold in our console division which makes up a fraction of our revenue.

This.

A slim revision *might* happen by 2017.

No way in hell they'll release the next Xbox before 2019. I'd be willing to bet 2020 is more likely.

GavinGT

Banned
Xbox hasn't made a penny in its 12 years of availability. I don't understand the making money argument.

Is it? News to me. How much has it made exactly? By my accord the brand is currently at about -$6 billion.

This isn't what matters, especially to a company like Microsoft. What matters is future profitability because that's what gets shareholders to invest. The money they lost 8-15 years ago is a distant memory.

Tsukumo

I thought "yeah, no way" while I read the thread title, but now I'm actually thinking that I wouldn't mind to pay another 400 in 2017 for a better console.
I would definitely be disappointed if the console wouldn't be backward compatible with the Bone and with the 360 though.

This isn't what matters, especially to a company like Microsoft. What matters is future profitability because that's what gets shareholders to invest.
And losing all relevance outside the US and UK just screams growth and future profitability.

It's cute when people think that markets outside of the UK and US matter.

There is no such thing as winning or losing, there's only green to be made, and they're making green.

Kinda a dick statement to imply that nobody outside of the US/UK matters. Sony wouldn't be in the position (market leader) they are in without the overwhelming support in Europe and beyond.

If Microsoft hadn't labelled them TIER 2 and 3, or treated them like lower tier customers then maybe they'd have sold more.

Cranster

Banned
Since roughly around 2008 or so they were no longer selling the Xbox 360 at a loss. So with each console sold since they began to make a return.

In general the Xbox Division has cost Microsoft a bit more than 3 billion atleast, but most of that was with the original Xbox and the RRoD fiasco which cost Microsoft 1.5 billion dollars.

I could be wrong but that's how I understand the situation.

And another. Put it this way, if Sony ran PlayStation 4 the same Xbox One is ran, Sony wouldn't be a company anymore. It's lost that much money.
Microsoft is a much larger company than Sony though and unlike Sony, they can afford the loss. Next to Windows Xbox is Microsoft's biggest brand.

evilr

Banned
This isn't what matters, especially to a company like Microsoft. What matters is future profitability because that's what gets shareholders to invest. The money they lost 8-15 years ago is a distant memory.

Xbox will never make money and is not in the interest of shareholder wealth maximization. Microsoft's hardware capabilities can't compete with Sony's. Have you ever wondered how Sony's PS4 is 40% more powerful, is half as light, half as small, and doesn't even have an external power supply in comparison to the Xbox One? VR will continue to expand this gap. The Surface line doing well however, those capabilities may have been enhanced.

But shareholders dislike Xbox, that is why Microsoft's reports focus on subscription figures rather than profits and sales. In my opinion, its highly unlikely you will get another Xbox. The next-gen will clearly have focus on Virtual Reality and Microsoft are about 5 years behind Sony in that department. They simply wont be able to compete and the brand will grow the red loss figure.

Xbox will become some sort of PC service, just like Zune did.

Woah slow down now. I just got an Xbox One. No need for a new console in 2 years.
3pdaJaQ.png

Edit: Next year, I forgot it is 2016.

Before Microsoft releases their next console they need to figure out why they are in it. If it's for the green they'd be better off just investing the money in their other branches or double down on PC gaming. They've made no real contribution to the industry this generation. They tried DRM, they've bought exclusivity deals and cut their price by 50% which devalued hardware. The Kinect is dead, the Hololens has no real game application and all of their first party IPs are selling less for each instalment. They need to figure out why.

It's the only device MS has that is in the center of peoples' living rooms. That alone is enough.

Gaming, tv, etc. If Xbox is your go-to box,that gives MS a leg up on Apple TV and others. Strategically, the Xbox is about a LOT more than gaming to MS. It's just that they need to do gaming "right" first before they focus on the other stuff. They learned that the hard way st Xbone unveiling.

I say this as a person who prefers Xbox One over my ps4 and gaming PC.

evilr

Banned
Before Microsoft releases their next console they need to figure out why they are in it. If it's for the green they'd be better off just investing the money in their other branches or double down on PC gaming. They've made no real contribution to the industry this generation. They tried DRM, they've bought exclusivity deals and cut their price by 50% which devalued hardware. The Kinect is dead, the Hololens has no real game application and all of their first party IPs are selling less for each instalment. They need to figure out why.

I'm at full agreement with this. Why does the Xbox exist at this point; Microsoft need to ask themselves.

Xbox was part of Ballmers devices and services vision which no longer applies, and I am finding it difficult to see Nadella continue this loss-making division with his cloud vision.

QaaQer

You were able to get the alienware steam machine at times last year for under $299. Came with several games and a controller.

Good price. While a garbage PC, at $299 w/controller and game, it is competitive.

In Canada, the cheapest one is $599 with no games. Ps4 retails for $429 with game, X1 is $399 with game for comparison. It is not competitive here at all. The store presence is close to nil, as is steambox advertising.

orochi91

Good price. While a garbage PC, at $299 w/controller and game, it is competitive.

In Canada, the cheapest one is $599 with no games. Ps4 retails for $429 with game, X1 is $399 with game for comparison. It is not competitive here at all. The store presence is close to nil, as is steambox advertising.

Yea, stuff like Steam Machines ain't gonna catch-on, especially in a WW context; they're not competitive with consoles at all.

They're also pricey as hell outside of the US.

Theorry

That the PS4 is selling better doesnt mean the Xbox One is selling bad.
Its still selling better then the 360.

Steroyd

Once companies stop thinking they're Apple and they can get away with doing what Apple does is when they'll stop fucking up.

Having iterative re-releases of the same hardware is such a money sink due to advertising, R&D and the price of Xbox in adverts will never drop below mainstream prices and consoles don't sell nearly enough day 1 to justify it either.

Can you give something for further reading on this subject?

They go over it a bit in this book. A bit dry, but if you like inside baseball it's worth your time.

Nvidia didn't screw Microsoft as much as they signed a bad contract. The way it was structured Nvidia made the GPU themselves and sold it to MS. Traditionally as you shrink the die and improve your process, chips become much easier and cheaper to produce. The problem was that under the agreement Nvidia was under no obligation to pass those savings on to MS. They just kept charging the same price and pocketed the cash themselves. That, combined with the HDD meant that Microsoft was selling the Xbox at more of a loss at the end of it's life than they were at launch.

Very good reasons to kill it dead. With the 360 it was a priority to control GPU manufacture themselves. AMD was willing to play ball.

Bl@de

3. A cheap DX12 PC dedicated to gaming running a cut down version of Windows 10 would unify the Windows and Xbox userbases.

So a Steam Machine? No need to wait until 2017. Built one yesterday. M-ITX PC with a Steam Controller/Xbox 360 Controller. All games, Netflix, Youtube... and a lot of power.

Rembrandt

Banned
Xbox will never make money and is not in the interest of shareholder wealth maximization. Microsoft's hardware capabilities can't compete with Sony's. Have you ever wondered how Sony's PS4 is 40% more powerful, is half as light, half as small, and doesn't even have an external power supply in comparison to the Xbox One? VR will continue to expand this gap. The Surface line doing well however, those capabilities may have been enhanced.

But shareholders dislike Xbox, that is why Microsoft's reports focus on subscription figures rather than profits and sales. In my opinion, its highly unlikely you will get another Xbox. The next-gen will clearly have focus on Virtual Reality and Microsoft are about 5 years behind Sony in that department. They simply wont be able to compete and the brand will grow the red loss figure.

Xbox will become some sort of PC service, just like Zune did.

lmao, jesus.

ms should buy sony and team up with nintendo to make a handheld device. that's the only way or they're done with consoles.

They go over it a bit in this book. A bit dry, but if you like inside baseball it's worth your time.

Nvidia didn't screw Microsoft as much as they signed a bad contract. The way it was structured Nvidia made the GPU themselves and sold it to MS. Traditionally as you shrink the die and improve your process, chips become much easier and cheaper to produce. The problem was that under the agreement Nvidia was under no obligation to pass those savings on to MS. They just kept charging the same price and pocketed the cash themselves. That, combined with the HDD meant that Microsoft was selling the Xbox at more of a loss at the end of it's life than they were at launch.

Very good reasons to kill it dead. With the 360 it was a priority to control GPU manufacture themselves. AMD was willing to play ball.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check this book out. And, whoa, that was kind of a dick move from Nvidia; however, this definitely should have been settled long before the signing of the contract.

QaaQer

So a Steam Machine? No need to wait until 2017. Built one yesterday. M-ITX PC with a Steam Controller/Xbox 360 Controller. All games, Netflix, Youtube... and a lot of power.

Are you running steamos? Do the have apps for things like Netflix, mlb, etc.? I find Windows messy and ugly and would like a better, simpler TV PC that isn't locked (Apple) or half-assed (Google). Linux has always given me headaches in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom