• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Two should be a DX12+ PC and release in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's cute when people think that markets outside of the UK and US matter.

There is no such thing as winning or losing, there's only green to be made, and they're making green.

That's impressive. 2nd day of 2016 and already competing for the worst post of the year. This one will be right up there when the year ends.

Anyway, not sure about the numbers, but even if you take UK and US away, PS4 has probably sold the same amount that the Xbox One in every region put together.

I think One is a wonderful, well built console, but it's limited to few familiar and beaten to death franchises, worse performing multiplats, and they completely ignored a huge part of the market for no reason whatsoever. Well, I guess the reason was "Kinect voice command localisation", but I'm not even sure did that ever happen? Doesn't really matter because in this part of Scandinavia you can't even find an Xbox One with Kinect in the box. Every store is selling just the console. Maybe at Gamestop, but never visit that place.

EDIT Wait, what? He writes for gaming media? Unbelievable.

2. Microsoft has cut a generation short before.

Thoughts?

but back then the xbox brand was brand new and not as strong. if they cut this gen early it'd be a pretty hard kick to the face to everyone who made hefty investments in their xbones and expect at least 5 years out of it, even if they didn't get it at launch.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Microsoft should focus on Windows/PC, and nothing else in the gaming sector. The only company doing console right is Nintendo. Not necessarily a good thing, but a thing nonetheless. Gimped PC's sold as consoles with "exclusives" is a terrible strategy going forward.

pastrami

Really? I mean, I get it, Sony sucks, Microsoft rules, but even this statement is eyebrow raising.

You write good articles about things you love, but are seriously biased and blind towards things you hate.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
As a launch Xbox One owner I would love a quick console refresh. They Xbox One is simply too underpowered. And they pretty much killed Kinect. Which was the one good thing it had going for it over the PS4.

I'd be first in line to buy a much more powerful Xbox released. 2017-18 whatever.

My Xbox One is only used for Exclusives and Blu Rays at this point.

Even timed exclusives like TRR having me waiting for better versions rather than buy it for my One.

Microsoft should focus on Windows/PC, and nothing else in the gaming sector. The only company doing console right is Nintendo. Not necessarily a good thing, but a thing nonetheless. Gimped PC's sold as consoles with "exclusives" is a terrible strategy going forward.

It really did wonders for them with Wii U. What Nintendo did is the worst which is a weak system and unfriendly architecture to developers for development. This generation both Sony and MS did right thing in the console architecture which helped them to get most of the PC indie stuff to fill the gaps because of similarities in architecture and allowing developers to more freedom in developing games for multiple platforms. Also PC architecture is the best for future which allows backwards compatibility to be possible like PC by evolving.

There is no such thing as winning or losing, there's only green to be made, and they're making green.
...we got gaffers from all over the world here. one on my friends list, he's in australia. so are you saying he simply doesn't count as a gamer coz he isn't here or in the UK?

as for saying there's no winning or losing, maybe there's no losing but there is such thing as winning, and sony is definitely winning.

Pif

Banned
People dreaming with new consoles and not even being halfway through the gen.

If you're a Wii U only owner, I can understand, but xbox one is gonna hold it side by side with PS4 on the multiplats until like 2020. Performance is another issue, but if a game is good, 900p is irrelevant.

nib95

Banned
As a launch Xbox One owner I would love a quick console refresh. They Xbox One is simply too underpowered. And they pretty much killed Kinect. Which was the one good thing it had going for it over the PS4.

I'd be first in line to buy a much more powerful Xbox released. 2017-18 whatever.

Even timed exclusives like TRR having me waiting for better versions rather than buy it for my One.

Just because it's underpowered, it doesn't mean it can't have great looking and fun games. Hell, it's not exactly relegated to Wii U territories of underpowered. Games like RotTR, Forza 6 and Halo 5 still look decent. For the other multiplatform stuff there's always your PS4. But again, it's not like multiplatform versions of Xbox One games are terrible looking.

EGM1966

Just wanted to add the other issue with this is if it sets up a shift in the market to repeated attempts to "jump" the competition. It just wouldn't work. The mass market doesn't want MS to shove out an XB1.5 followed by Sony pushing out an PS4.5 and so on.

Seems to me to get the large, global install base you need a sense of stability so unless MS want to just keep chasing re-grabbing their own fan-base (the core of which in US and UK is clearly to small to ever win them a gen or even keep them close to what a popular global console can see in sales) every 3 or 4 years with a new more powerful console I don't think the idea works.

krang

I'm not going to quote it and be part of the problem, but hasn't everything that needed to be said about that dumbass comment been said already? It's a reasonably interesting topic, with every other post a reply to one off-topic comment!

I'm not a launch Ps4 owner but I bought it early 2014. Even though these consoles are underpowered, I want this gen to last at least as long as last gen. Gimme another 7 years. Make that the new norm.
I'm not going to quote it and be part of the problem, but hasn't everything that needed to be said about that dumbass comment been said already? It's a reasonably interesting topic, with every other post a reply to one off-topic comment!
what problem? if someone sees a post and wants to respond, they have every right to. just so happens several people had something to say to doc seuss.

People dreaming with new consoles and not even being halfway through the gen.

If you're a Wii U only owner, I can understand, but xbox one is gonna hold it side by side with PS4 on the multiplats until like 2020. Performance is another issue, but if a game is good, 900p is irrelevant.

I agree. Powerful Xbox is not going to help them (it will do just like Elite controller just satisfying the core users) at all in the middle of the generation and its just a stupid idea. They have to better make more exclusives with different concepts to ask the users to buy the Xbox like Sony did with PS3 even with their disaster launch and launch a better product in next generation. I don't think Xbox will ever get better in world wide market anymore and its lost, so they better focus on US and UK or shift the support to PC ecosystem and make Xbox as a Windows PC next time.

If you were a spokesperson for Microsoft, they would fire you immediately.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
1. The Xbox One has clearly lost this generation. It is dead outside the US and UK.

2. Microsoft has cut a generation short before.

3. A cheap DX12 PC dedicated to gaming running a cut down version of Windows 10 would unify the Windows and Xbox userbases.

4. The hardware could be refreshed every few years, Surface style.

5. Microsoft improve their competitive position against Sony and Valve.

Thoughts?
I don't think so, Tim.

ironcreed

Banned
Their sales might be way behind the PS4, but they still appear healthy. I don't see why they would need to rush a new product to market. Far better to rebuild their reputation/brand with the X1 while taking time to create the successor system.

All that needs to be said. The Xbox One has turned out to be a great system and I want to enjoy it, along with my PS4.

Squozen

...why would you doubt them coming out with another console at all?

Because it goes completely against their new direction of cloud services. It's never made them enough money to be worth chasing now that the Mattrick One Billion dream is dead. Opportunity costs and all that.

Because it goes completely against their new direction of cloud services. It's never made them enough money to be worth chasing now that the Mattrick One Billion dream is dead. Opportunity costs and all that.
their new direction of cloud services? i thought the xbone itself was harnessing the cloud with crackdown 3

Lettuce

They're still making money even if they're losing to Sony. That wasn't the case with the OG Xbox. It's selling well enough.

Agreed, the XB1 has higher sales figures than the 360 at the same point in its life cycle, the XB1 isnt failing at all, its been very successful for MS........just the PS4 has been even more successful

Using "MS cut a generation short" as precedent doesn't make sense if you ignore the context of why they did so. They aren't bleeding money on the One hardware, a hardware refresh costs more money than simply releasing new software to a system that's peaking, even if that peak is modest.

Win 10 integration is a thing that's happening sooner than later, whenever MS stops fucking around with Fable.

Cynn

So to save the Xbox business they should abandon the Xbox One (a console doing quite well) and build steam machine devices? (a segment of the market that's disastrously unsuccessful)

Are you secretly working for Sony?

MS need to ride out this gen and make a better impression at the start of the next one .
X1 while selling better than 360 is going to fall behind this year and it has no markets to grow in .

westman

Time for a sanity check. It's rare to see official statistics with enough detail that UK is singled out, but around May 5th 2015, PS4 sales statistics for UK were posted at roughly the same time as the total global sales. At that point, the UK sales to date was about 9% of the global total. Putting this together with VGC***tz' current estimate (controversial, I know) we have:

North America: 12.59M
UK: 3.32M
Rest of Europe: 9.72M
Japan: 2.08M
Rest of the world: 5.44M

Global total: 33.15M
UK+NA part: (12.59+3.32)/33.15 = 48%

So for the PS4, the part of the market you don't think matters may well be the largest part (and this is without separating North American sales into US+Canada sales).

King_Moc

Banned
eh, imo this kinda contradicts phil spencer when he calls xbone owners first class. unless he's referring to just the us/uk owners and owners of other regions "lesser class"

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-ones-parity-clause-meant-to-make-owners-feel-/1100-6422886/

Well, yeah, those regions are all they care about. They've done very little to make themselves relevant elsewhere outside of moneyhatting some jrpg's early on in the 360's lifespan. It's amusing when the attitude bleeds through to some of the more rabid members of their fanbase though, as per DocSeuss.

Well, yeah, those regions are all they care about. They've done very little to make themselves relevant elsewhere outside of moneyhatting some jrpg's early on in the 360's lifespan. It's amusing when the attitude bleeds through to some of the more rabid members of their fanbase though, as per DocSeuss.
I wouldn't say those regions are all they care about, otherwise they wouldn't have released anywhere else and their install base would be much lower - and it would also mean they see their customers their as lesser than first class. doc seuss must've been quoted like 10 times. I wonder if he'll ever respond. i never really seen him around before, does he have a reputation on gaf?

Lemondish

Except markets outside the US and UK do matter. It's how the PS3 turned the ship around and caught up worldwide despite a disastrous launch and releasing a whole year later.

On topic: this is a silly idea. Microsoft may just be dumb enough to do it.

King_Moc

Banned
I wonder say those regions are all they care about, otherwise they wouldn't have released anywhere else and their install base would be much lower. doc seuss must've been quoted like 10 times. I wonder if he'll ever respond. i never really seen him around before, does he have a reputation on gaf?

Well, if they cared about those countries, why release a year late and call them tier 2 countries? I have a very hard time believing that one of the largest companies in the world couldn't have produced enough units. Sony certainly managed it. As for their install base, regardless of what people keep saying about it tracking ahead of the 360, it is doing poorly. The 360 came off the back of a console that sold around the same as the Gamecube. The XB1 comes off the back of the 360. It's selling poorly, and sales are slowing.

As for DocSeuss, I've no idea if he has a reputation, i'm still reeling at the idea that he works as a journalist. How is it possible to do that with so little objectivity?

Really? I mean, I get it, Sony sucks, Microsoft rules, but even this statement is eyebrow raising.

You write good articles about things you love, but are seriously biased and blind towards things you hate.

That guy writes articles? With statements like that remind me not to never read them.

On topic, I don't think making them like a PC is the solution, as that's already an available option. They will always be weaker than high end PCs, that will never change. The general gaming population won't fork out 1k+ just to play with some higher settings.

4. The hardware could be refreshed every few years, Surface style.

That's pretty much a fine way to ensure the permanent death of the brand.You can't just get around losing to the competition who were at a better price point by saying 'hey guess what guys? we have a new one you can buy every other time and Assassin's Creed comes out!'

I honestly can't see parents buying a new xbox for every single sequel that comes out and given development cycles that's inevitably how it's going to look to the ones shelling over the cash for these devices.

novablue

Banned
Nah, they should ride it out till 2020 or at least till Sony announces their next gen console. Jumping with out no solid fan-base would be murder. 2016 is actually going to be a great year for them, their line for first party is filled with diversity in many genres. Also if they can get the other important things done like a better offering GwG, make live vastly superior and bring back or create some healthy studios, people will come.

TLDR, MS can't and shouldn't cut until they have IPs that are cream of the crop. If MS can grab a hold of that Western diversity, they could leave this generation not at the top but in a nice position.

TheFatOne

Man people are delusional. How is the Xbox loosing significant ground/marketshare in its most important market not loosing? That's the very definition of loosing. They lost their position as top dogs in the U.S. on a console that is dead outside the U.S. and the UK. Xbox division can't afford not to be in the dominant position in the U.S. That's the only way they are ever going to beat their competitors.

Several?!
yes, several. i haven't kept out or anything but I think it's like 10.
Well, if they cared about those countries, why release a year late and call them tier 2 countries? I have a very hard time believing that one of the largest companies in the world couldn't have produced enough units. Sony certainly managed it. As for their install base, regardless of what people keep saying about it tracking ahead of the 360, it is doing poorly. The 360 came off the back of a console that sold around the same as the Gamecube. The XB1 comes off the back of the 360. It's selling poorly, and sales are slowing.

As for DocSeuss, I've no idea if he has a reputation, i'm still reeling at the idea that he works as a journalist. How is it possible to do that with so little objectivity?
you just answered your own question bruh. if they don't care about those regions at all, why even bother releasing the console there? i think it's fairer to say that the other regions are an afterthought to them, which goes more in line with saying they're second tier (i forget, did they say that about just japan or all of the regions outside US/UK?) and I thought sales were picking up, at least stateside? It sold pretty well this holiday season. not as well as Ps4 but that's because it's Ps4.

as for doc seuss, yeah there have been others in this thread who said he writes about games or whatever. don't really know too much about it but if it were the case, it does sound like he'd write with a bias. i wonder who he writes for.

garyizraw

Banned
If they really wanted to release something new in 2017 we would not get ANY new games this year. Hell Phil Spencer himself would even crank out alot of BS PR statements to cover their bases until they could announce this thing at E3.Games like Quantum Break would have to be delayed because why would you release such a graphically intense game on your old platform? it make no sense, An after the last console reveal MS would literally have to come out with every major IP they can possible get on that stage just to sell the thing.

Overall we don't need DXbox (Xbox Two) until 2020 at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom