• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Two should be a DX12+ PC and release in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0de

No.

They should wait for proper time to introduce as strong as possible nextgen, without leaving original Xbone customers in a dirt. Having a console with only 4 years of shelf-life is ridiculous.

Oh yes, it definitely is, but I think it's safe to assume that from now on, consoles will be backwards compatible so you can play your games on the new hardware and only “wasted“ money on the hardware, like we do on many other devices.

Don't think we will see this, though I would personally love to see an "S" version of the X1 and PS4 (like the iPhone), but with development time at record levels I don't see this generation ending for another 8 plus years.

QaaQer

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check this book out. And, whoa, that was kind of a dick move from Nvidia; however, this definitely should have been settled long before the signing of the contract.

this is also a good read.. It was written by the lead architect of ps3 cell and x360 ppc CPU. And yes, that was a huge conflict of interest. It only happened because Bill Gates walked into IBM with a big check. Sony and Tobishba got played so hard by Gates/IBM.

GavinGT

Banned
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check this book out. And, whoa, that was kind of a dick move from Nvidia; however, this definitely should have been settled long before the signing of the contract.

Also watch this amazing interview with three of the four Xbox bosses. I'm sure they touch on that, as well as lots of other crazy stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUODlNffWmU

For instance, it wasn't market research that indicated people wanted the gigantic Duke controller. Instead, it was that the firm they contracted the work out to turned in a gigantic, dinner plate-sized circuit board and they had to somehow fit it into a controller shell.

I'm at full agreement with this. Why does the Xbox exist at this point; Microsoft need to ask themselves.

Xbox was part of Ballmers devices and services vision which no longer applies, and I am finding it difficult to see Nadella continue this loss-making division with his cloud vision.

I must have dreamed all those Microsoft event's and conferences over the last 12/18 months where Satya has put Xbox and gaming front and center then . . .

this is also a good read.. It was written by the lead architect of ps3 cell and x360 ppc CPU. And yes, that was a huge conflict of interest. It only happened because Bill Gates walked into IBM with a big check. Sony and Tobishba got played so hard by Gates/IBM.

Also watch this amazing interview with three of the four Xbox bosses. I'm sure they touch on that, as well as lots of other crazy stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUODlNffWmU

For instance, it wasn't market research that indicated people wanted the gigantic Duke controller. Instead, it was that the firm they contracted the work out to turned in a gigantic, dinner plate-sized circuit board and they had to somehow fit it into a controller shell.

Thanks for the additional suggestions, guys! The weekend is covered :)

sublimit

Banned
It's cute when people think that markets outside of the UK and US matter.

There is no such thing as winning or losing, there's only green to be made, and they're making green.

xShB_5.gif

orochi91

There is no such thing as winning or losing, there's only green to be made, and they're making green.

I recommend you join the NPD discussions every once in a while.

Global gaming markets outside of the UK and US are where most of the growth is happening.

Oh yes they are. Valve is direct competition for every console manufacturer, and a growing one at that.

They aren't. Like at all.

"lost" doesn't mean what you think it means.

This too. Less money isn't the same as no money.

You were able to get the alienware steam machine at times last year for under $299. Came with several games and a controller.

And everyone else went and bought a PS4 or a XB1 because they are better deals.

Since roughly around 2008 or so they were no longer selling the Xbox 360 at a loss. So with each console sold since they began to make a return.

In general the Xbox Division has cost Microsoft a bit more than 3 billion atleast, but most of that was with the original Xbox and the RRoD fiasco which cost Microsoft 1.5 billion dollars.

I could be wrong but that's how I understand the situation.

Microsoft is a much larger company than Sony though and unlike Sony, they can afford the loss. Next to Windows Xbox is Microsoft's biggest brand.

Actually, Surface has a good amount of buzz now. Affording the loss isn't the problem--it's the need for growth, which isn't happening this gen.

Yea, stuff like Steam Machines ain't gonna catch-on, especially in a WW context; they're not competitive with consoles at all.

They're also pricey as hell outside of the US.

Some folks tend to forget that the machines are basically in no mans land for a large audience and price.

Boomshaw

Banned
Why are ppl obsessed with an xbox slim? The current xbox one design is great because half the console is a frickin fan meaning no overheating, and no jets taking off. Super quiet which is far more important than shaving a couple of centimeteres.

Madness

The 360 was released only 4 years into the Original Xbox's Cycle.

Original Xbox was pretty much stagnant and wasn't gaining ground, neither was the GameCube against PS2. Plus it was their first machine.

Xbox One is outselling Xbox 360 and is on a good pace. It's just not as dominant as PS4. It makes no sense for them to cut and run when there is still tons of potential and profit. They're finally on the upswing, moving away from the disastrous launch, and this upcoming year is pretty strong for them still. I'd say 2018 should be when the next console should come.

omonimo

Banned
Original Xbox was pretty much stagnant and wasn't gaining ground, neither was the GameCube against PS2. Plus it was their first machine.

Xbox One is outselling Xbox 360 and is on a good pace. It's just not as dominant as PS4. It makes no sense for them to cut and run when there is still tons of potential and profit. They're finally on the upswing, moving away from the disastrous launch, and this upcoming year is pretty strong for them still. I'd say 2018 should be when the next console should come.
A good pace? :/ Why they have removed Kinect and cut the price, if xbone going that well? Sales wise it's not a total disaster but far away to be fine from the MS perspective.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The only people it's "losing" to are console warriors. It's still performing well enough that it's making Microsoft money. Phil Spencer isn't looking at sales of PS4, sighing, and setting fire to a warehouse full of Xbox Ones.

EGM1966

I think they'd just alienate core console market which I believe wants to feel they're investing for 5 years at least in a device.

I don't believe launching 3660 early actually helped it success. It didn't take off until after the PS3 launched and people could compare them. The early launch just allowed them to get out of bad HDD and components contracts they'd made.

If they bail early I think that - as with the XB1 reveal - they'd have just miss-read the market yet again.

Part of the success of PS4 was the sense of Sony supporting the PS3 to the end and pushing out games like TLOU.

I'd argue the best bet for the XB1 is the opposite OP. No more timed shit (doesn't help the console). Invest heavily in a strong selection of true exclusives and pump them out over next three years of console building best market goodwill and perception possible and pulling in people late in the generation when the console will be even cheaper.

Then move to a new console on that wave of goodwill.

Alo0oy

Banned

To put your point into perspective, if the PS4 sold zero units in the US & UK, it would still be the best selling system this gen.

Or basically, the PS4 without the US, UK, & Japan is ~= XB1 total sales.

Xando

The next console will suffer the same fate world wide if they don't fix their image before launching.
They made good progress with the 360 but alienated pretty much everyone not in the US/UK with the XB1 with their US focused approach.

kirby_fox

Banned
I can see it happening actually. If either MS or Sony feel like Nintendo bringing NX to market is pressure for a new system from both- they could launch minor upgrades to the current systems or a similar "second pillar" approach.

However, marketing wise, it wouldn't be an Xbox Two. It would likely be named Xbox something but avoid being called a new system while playing Xbox One titles still.

Competition can make companies kill a product early, it depends on if they see the market being lost or not.

WolvenOne

Okay, I don't want you to get defensive here, but I don't think you've thought this through. The X1 would have to be selling a lot worse to justify cutting the cord on it after four years.

Even if it could, this brings a number of new problems to the floor. First, you talk about hardware, but hardware doesn't actually sell consoles. What sells consoles is features and games, with the later being the primary driver. A big part of the reason that Microsoft lost so much momentum so quickly, is that for all thier success with the 360, they failed to produce many brand names that'd bring people back to thier platform.

Bringing out new hardware doesn't fix this. Microsoft needs games and brands that people care about, and creating those games is going to take time. Microsoft could try to cut and run early, but without loyalty to Microsoft game brands and studios, the exact same thing would happen again the moment a new machine came out that could play third party hardware better.

NHale

Can't wait for the Kotaku article about this. Please include some actual facts but since they won't fit your silly narrative, you could always use lots of pie charts Polygon sytle. Now that would be cute.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I was going to disagree, but then I realized Londo Mollari made the OP, so now I'll refrain from disagreeing.

Worst post of 2016 came very early.

Thoughts?

No. XB1 will stick around way beyond 2017. MS is moving away from the console race. They are unifying their platforms with Win10. In 2017, I can see XB1 and PC share the library and Win10 store. They are doing what Nintendo is possibly trying to do with the NX. Nintendo will combine handheld and console into one platform. MS will combine their PC and console gaming into one as well. And for that purpose, there is no point of releasing the next generation console so soon.

cilonen

360 had a huge bump after the Kinect release, the "XBO outselling 360" will stop after that point in the lifecycle.

Yes, finally someone who gets it! The 360 really took off the holiday season of Kinect and the price drop. I don't think the Xbone will see a similar mid life renaissance and after that point the comparisons between it and the 360 won't look so rosy.

If MS are still making money and happy to ride it out at that point then fair enough.

1. LOL. The Xbox One has started off in a fantastic manner comfortably beating the Xbox & the Xbox 360 two years into their lifecycles. It doesnt even have of the hardware failure issues like X360 had early into its generation for which MSFT had to drop a billion USD into. It's just that the PS4 is selling faster than the PS2 which is ridiculous in pace to even think about. That doesn't translate to "Xbox One has clearly lost this generation" by any stretch or you don't understand the consumer electronics market or its business.

2. That was due to a greedy GPU manufacturer (who is currently operating in & dominating the PC space now) not cutting down costs to their die shrinks YOY resulting operating losses for the Xbox division. MSFT decided to make their own with the X360 and a competitor stepped in with a good deal. It continues till today and quite possibly the next generation as well.

3. A steam machine or its derivatives like your idea will never EVER penetrate the existing home console market and they're not dependant on service paywalls. Home consoles are. The average PC user will never pay for XBL/PSN. "Unifying" is exactly what MSFT are not gonna do when it comes to their games despite their recent innuendos in trade shows. D3D12, UI & architecture are much as you're gonna get in that "unifying" front, which is fair enough for support from them as they're a console manufacturer games are their driving force as opposed to their OS business where the market is tiny in comparison.

4. This hasn't been experimented in the console space at all apart from SEGA's hardware add-ons so I'm having cognitive dissonance even thinking over it in 2016. I'd love more powerful hardware, who wouldn't ? But the entire market ? I don't know but as of now I don't have any arguments against it though.

5. No, absolutely not for reasons stated above and anyone interested in this "WIN10 D3D12" steam machine knockoff, will (and IMHO should) build themselves a PC. MSFT should be happy where they are considering the PR clusterfuck of an Xbox One reveal which SONY caught a hold on and still back its feet as the most successful Xbox ever, is a feat in itself. The last mistake they'd do is to abandon this user base.

And Valve is not even a competitor, PC gaming wouldn't be the same today if it wasn't for Valve and the past decade of their commitment. They're the actual "unpaid first party" for the PC platform IMO.

Your OP seems like you want XBOX exclusives on PC than looking out for a future for the Xbox brand.

The_Lump

Banned
Losing a pissing contest to Sony isn't a reason to bin a product.

It's selling fine. It makes no business sense to can it.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Honestly i still don't understand why no one did gaming computer like in the 8/16bit era(c64 and Amiga for example): pc os, closed and standard hardware like consoles, new retrocompatible version every 4 years with the added possibility for the old version to be upgraded to the newer version.

I was hoping for the Steambox but that's nothing like what i want, MS could(and should imo) do it.

funkypie

Banned
what is peoples obsession with a new console every 4 to 5 years?

we are two years into this gen and it feels like it has hardly scratched the surface.

so yeah bring out a new console in 2- 3 years for more cross gen and remasters.

Javin98

Banned

Yep, you're totally right. I mean, come on, it's not like Europe is the biggest territory for the PS4 or anything. Oh, wait...

cripterion

They don't? Then why bother releasing their console in those other countries, advertising it in magazines, TV or even showing up at the game expos?

Dee Dee

I thought Japanese Sales are a major factor to Nintendo still being alive. I mean, Japan and amiibos. Still, seems like countries besides the two mentioned have an effect on things. One could even say they matter. Just wanted to bring it up, you know, because as you can see in this thread that seems like some Jimmy-rustling bullshit of the highest grade.

And while I agree that i's not about "winning" or "losing" in the end, you also not only want to "make green", but preferably grow bigger to make more green or at least secure a steady green flow. Then there is stuff like branding and image to consider. And expanding your market (possibly beyond US/UK... to make green, you know). Nintendo is finally in the green again, yet NX is a thing (and Miitomo).

On topic though, while an Xbone successor is probably in the works and the crossover with their PC section makes sense, I can not see them launching it in 2017 - I would not be surprised to hear about it first in 2017 though, neither would I be surprised for it to be closer to a PC yet than any console before it.

jem0208

Before Microsoft releases their next console they need to figure out why they are in it. If it's for the green they'd be better off just investing the money in their other branches or double down on PC gaming. They've made no real contribution to the industry this generation. They tried DRM, they've bought exclusivity deals and cut their price by 50% which devalued hardware. The Kinect is dead, the Hololens has no real game application and all of their first party IPs are selling less for each instalment. They need to figure out why.
Well obviously they're in it for the money?

Every companies job is to make money.

Are people taking OP serious? The Xbone is not bombing and it's likely even making money now compared to their other consoles. No RRoD billion dollar headaches to boot too.

I don't doubt MS might try to start next gen early again, in 2018. They could hurt Sony quite a bit like the 360. In 2018 I'm predicting to buy most multiplats on PC or a new console. Expecting the next Xbox to be quite powerful, "weak console" perception still haunts them.

ps3ud0

Well I guess US+UK is the geographical variant of season vs pre-season. Sales in US+UK count twice dont you know :p

Xbox desperation started early - most havent even gone back to work yet!

ps3ud0 8)

I agree with the model of Windows boxes. Release the Xbox Two without replacing the X1, just a different entry point but 2017 is too early.
Just follow the steam machines model with the brand Xbox, keep things simple for the casual customer, give something top for gaming enthusiasts.

LilJoka

A MS steam machine with a free copy of Windows could be something to leverage as a console if they can get their windows apps to give a uncompromised experience with things like browsing/streaming/watching videos from the network/plus Netflix type apps all usable with a controller. Then having some upgrade path and access to steam. Using X1 pads etc. Could work.
Plus it'll mean every Windows app works on Xbox.

Markoman

No, I just don't get the 'end this generation sooner'-argument.

1. They will piss off >20 Mio. One users if Xbox 2 is announced in 2016

2. What games are going to be ready for the Xbox2?
Look how this Gen takes time to build a proper library.
A lot of the Xbox One games that have been announced in 2013 haven't even been released yet.
Are people going to buy a new console in 2017 for cross-gen titles?

3. The one year head start worked once, but it doesn't have to work another time, as
a) gen 6 to gen 7 was a far bigger leap from a technical perspective (SD->HD)
a) Sony won't release a much more expensive console
b) if Sony releases one year later, they can still start the hype-machine for PS5 when Xbox2 launches to steal some thunder (see Dremcast)

4. For what? Yes, it will regain some ground in NA, but Asia+ EU still won't care

5. We are getting poor optimized games and nearly every huge game has been delayed -are you expecting that devs will easily handle yearly console iterations?

If NX succeds to some degree, I can see Xbox in a rough spot in 2017, but releasing a new console this early won't help a thing. MS needs content for a new machine and this is where they failed once again. If they are really committed to gaming they should have build several studios like Sony did. Moneyhats won't work for them - that's for sure.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

The sad thing is that i feel he's not the only one thinking it, he's just the one with the courage to say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom