• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Two should be a DX12+ PC and release in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

The point of a console is to lock people into your proprietary ecosystem so that they are forced to buy games through your channels (where you get percentages on every transaction) and are forced to pay whatever arbitrary (monthly) price you put on features.

It's inherently impossible to unify this goal with PCs as we know and appreciate them as a platform.

ShapeGSX

I don't get why people think the Xbox One is underpowered. Rise of the Tomb Taider is gorgeous. So is Assasin's Creed Syndicate. So is Halo 5 and it runs at 60fps. Forza 6 is gorgeous and runs at 60fps. Forza Horizon 2 is absolutely epic.

Screw Digital Foundry and nitpicking pixels. Play the damn game and have fun.

What would anyone get out of a higher performance console at this point or 2017 other than being out another $400 to $500?

The sales that are lower than the PS4 are not due to the power of the console. They're also doing just fine.

Genio88

Not at all, it's true that Ps4 is doing better worldwide, but Xbox One isn't selling that bad, and Microsoft still makes money from it and Xbox Live.
In my opinion next Xbox will still be a gaming dedicated system thought to last at least 5 years, and it will launch not before 2018 with Ps5, i think that Surface division will have something to do with the new Xbox too, but i don't think they'll make a console upgrade every year.

pr0cs

Play the damn game and have fun.
That's because on this forum if you aren't in first place then you aren't worth owning.
I really feel sorry for people who deny themselves access to really good games because they don't want to buy another console. Those sort of people really aren't gamers.

Don't think we will see this, though I would personally love to see an "S" version of the X1 and PS4 (like the iPhone), but with development time at record levels I don't see this generation ending for another 8 plus years.

::Shudders:: 8 years? Ugh..

I don't want to waste 8 years of my life on these graphics. And no I don't want to build a gaming PC. But 8 years would force me to.

Plasma

Banned
It's too soon and besides it's not doing that bad, yes if you compare it to PS4 sales it isn't matching up but it's still selling well more than the 360 had done in its time at this point and that was considered a huge success.

krang

I don't get why people think the Xbox One is underpowered. Rise of the Tomb Taider is gorgeous. So is Assasin's Creed Syndicate. So is Halo 5 and it runs at 60fps. Forza 6 is gorgeous and runs at 60fps. Forza Horizon 2 is absolutely epic.

Screw Digital Foundry and nitpicking pixels. Play the damn game and have fun.

What would anyone get out of a higher performance console at this point or 2017 other than being out another $400 to $500?

The sales that are lower than the PS4 are not due to the power of the console. They're also doing just fine.

You make a good point. Winning this fucking pathetic pissing contest is the only reason to release new hardware early - which no company in their right mind would do. It wouldn't affect gameplay. It wouldn't affect lead platform development. You'd just end up having paid a load more money for something, ultimately, you don't enjoy any more than the XB1.

Sony made their ground with the PS4 because a) it was cheaper out of the gate b) good existing global mindshare c) Microsoft confused people. Hardware superiority comes way down that list with the general public, so trying to beat the PS4 on that mid-generation is futile.

That's because on this forum if you aren't in first place then you aren't worth owning.
I really feel sorry for people who deny themselves access to really good games because they don't want to buy another console. Those sort of people really aren't gamers.

Having several consoles is a lot like having several cars. You can only drive one at a time. Nobody is dumb enough to say that if you don't own the best cars you aren't really a driver.

It seems they would need to discontinue the 360 before they launch the next one. The sales aren't yet negligible and it's pure profit at this point, so I'm not sure how this will play out.

::Shudders:: 8 years? Ugh..

I don't want to waste 8 years of my life on these graphics. And no I don't want to build a gaming PC. But 8 years would force me to.
2557385-4519761117-iSrhJ.gif

mephixto

Banned
If VR or AR takes off for MS, I can see them ditching the Xbox as a console and going straight to a machine focused on that.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think there's more to the gaming business then simply "winning" the generation.

I think hardcore enthusiasts don't understand the casual audience that drives sales one bit, and just assumes everyone wants to piss away their disposable income (if there is any) on videogames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom