• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There’s Nothing Xbox Can Do to Close Gap Between PS4, Says Pachter

Hiltz

This is a good example of why Nintendo lost interest in being a direct competitor against Sony and Microsoft in the sense that it's too fiercely competitive for them to realistically do well in.

Microsoft made missteps with Xbox One early on, but while it was fairly quick to make necessary changes in attempt to win back the respect of consumers, it hasn't really made as drastic of a difference as Microsoft had hoped it would by way of price cuts and a non-Kinect Xbox One SKU among other things such as upcoming backwards compatibly with some Xbox 360 titles. If Microsoft's facing such struggles despite having a similarly powerful, multi-media-driven platform with strong third party multiplatform support support and a fairly large and active online community (not to mention having the same cultivated target audience as PS4) , then what chance does Nintendo have offering a direct competitive home console ?

Bgamer90

Banned
Pretty much but this this was obvious many months ago in terms of worldwide sales.

All that MS can do is continuing on giving the Xbox One solid games to help build themselves up for the system's successor.

Fire Boyes and Sony won't fuck up anymore.

Seriously anytime that guy is on the stage announcing something, it gets announced as multiplat later on.

So many games Sony should've locked down in order to reign supreme...

Edit: sorry for the typo, fixed now.

Mael

Captain obvious strikes again but with ridiculous argument this time.
“We should start every console cycle assuming Sony’s going to outsell Microsoft 2 to 1, because they have twice as many people who know what their console is and like.”
No what we should assume is that MSFT continuous emphasis with appealing only to the US market close them the door for the European market which is pretty much their only shot at trying to close the gap they have with their closest competition.

He ain't wrong. The console war is over. Even if MS tightens things up in N. America they are getting too thoroughly trounced everywhere else to make up the difference. Having a huge lead in North America is why 360 was the console leader last gen.

Tecnniqe

Banned
That's basically the joke.

To be honest though (and I know this is probably just me), I would be more willing (hypothetically speaking) to go from 360 to XBO knowing that my 360 backlog is also playable by the XBO. I jumped ship from PS2 to PS3 because of BC (I have the MGS4 80 BC unit). I could still play my backlog and then I started buying/playing PS3 games as new things came along.

Well it certainly would help with the transitions for some.

Game4life

Banned

Seriously anytime that guy is on the stage announcing something, it gets announced as multiplayer later on.

Not sure if this is sarcasm...

Pretty much. Ball's in their court to massively fuck something up to make anything shift that much, but it would still take a lot.

"Today we would like to announce that we are going to make nothing but Knack sequels all year and halt development on Uncharted 4, Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian...well, truth be told that game was never in development to begin with, it was nothing more than a tech demo, we did string you idiots along for enough years, didn't we? *chuckles*. We are also no longer having any third party support on our consoles, this will be a Sony dedicated device... dedicated to Knack sequels alone. Thank you."

I mean they could. If the PS3 managed to pull it off after 3-4 years in the market, Xbox One still has a shot. Especially with the "biggest lineup in Xbox history" coming next year XD.

LewieP

I didn't say Microsoft were totally right, since "who won" is more nuanced than any single metric, but undoubtedly Microsoft did dominate the industry for the bulk of the generation.

Nintendo sold a lot of hardware and a lot of their own games.
Microsoft probably sold the most third party software and lifted their brand up to the next level.
Sony made huge mistakes early on, and lost huge amounts of money, but by the end of the generation got themselves into a fairly decent position.

Who sold the most consoles between Sony and MS is sort of trivial, since that isn't what had the biggest impact on their profitability, or what determined their fates going forward.

I think a lot of PS4 owners still plan on buying one, myself included, but I'm going to wait until there is a glut of XB1 games that I can get for cheap and a lot more are released. I could see next year being very big if QB, Scalebound, and Recore pan out.

Having said that, even if every PS4 owner buys an XB1, that does not mean XB1 will outsell PS4.

Hoje0308

Banned

Seriously anytime that guy is on the stage announcing something, it gets announced as multiplayer later on.

I tried, but could not find a single instance in which this comment made contact with reality.

Elandyll

Banned
Quick, someone call MisterX!

That was the agreed on signal to unlock the DGpu, the secret sauce, and the MAU ultimate secret with 900% digital purchases, blessed be thy name.

Eggbok

Do you mean multiplatform? LOL
I'm sure it's all his fault, GOT DAMN IT ADAM YOU HAD ONE JOB!!

N.Domixis

Banned
I believe this holiday was their last chance at surpassing sony in US. Halo turned out not to be a major system seller, their biggest exclusive. What other exclusive would even come close? and sony is cheaper as of right now during the second most important month. The gap probably grew in November.

King_Moc

Banned
I dunno, they seem to be handling backwards compatibility a hell of a lot better.

You really think MS will make a comeback this gen because it's easier for people to play FIFA 09 on XB1? People don't really care about BC. It's one of those things that everyones thinks they want, then never uses. I think I've played a few hours of Xenoblade on my Wii U and that's it. I don't recall ever playing a GC game on my Wii.

Seriously anytime that guy is on the stage announcing something, it gets announced as multiplat later on.

999edf49fc6911c83845e4f6870a49bd.png

He likes to chime in when things are really obviously going one way or another. His "predictions" are usually what end up being reversed. This is yet another case of Pachter speaking up to influence market trends, not to predict them.

He said 20m for Wii U, 120-130m for PS4, and 100-110m for Xbox One as recently as September....

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/pachter-predicts-this-console-generations-sales-numbers

And of course, 2 years ago after the Xbox One's very rocky announcement, he said Xbox One would sell as many units:

http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_one_will_now_sell_as_many_units_as_ps4_says_pachter.html

Flandy

This is the worst post I've seen all week

JP

Why do I get the feeling that this is a joke account that Shuhei Yoshida uses to mess around with Adam Boyes? They're probably both sitting there, pointing at the screen and laughing at this right now.

I'm almost willing to bet that the @KazHiraiCEO account actually belongs to Adam Boyes or Mark Cerny.

jelly

Pretty much but this this was obvious many months ago in terms of worldwide sales.

All that MS can do is continuing on giving the Xbox One solid games to help build themselves up for the system's successor.

Yeah, they have to ride high for many years into next gen. This is the time they build, experiment and hope it pays off next time and please don't stop or do something stupid again.

Ok Pachter....who gives a shit though?

This has been a fantastic year for Xbox One and next year is looking to be damn awesome for both Xbox One and PS4, so who wins? Gamers. I guess it's unfortunete that they won't be closing the gap, but did anyone actually believe that was going to happen? I'd say Xbox One is doing a real decent job with these third party games, will the gap get bigger? Only time will tell, but at the end of the day...it really matters so little. Long as MS keeps coming with quality exclusives too.....it's all good.

VinFTW

Of course not, but at this point, I just want them to do what Sony did during the PS3

Improve the console
Deliver great, diverse games
Prepare to deliver for the next generation of consoles

Doffen

Don't you worry. Tier 1 will save Xbox One.

Of course not, but at this point, I just want them to do what Sony did during the PS3

Improve the console
Deliver great, diverse games
Prepare to deliver for the next generation of consoles

Sony also did a solid job in Europe. I don't see Microsoft doing the same.

Sublime

Neo Member
Came in here expecting So you're saying there's a chance dot gif.

Leaving disappointed.

Got you covered girl.
tumblr_n9d0zeqbAk1ti6bhpo1_r3_400.gif

On topic though. Really the only way I could see Microsoft closing the gap at all is capitalizing on sony's mistakes and continuing with their agressive deals like the ones they offered on black friday.

Top Bottom