• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There’s Nothing Xbox Can Do to Close Gap Between PS4, Says Pachter

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Well, This is pretty obvius by a long time ago... And since it Looks like PS4 will win This Holidays in The US, even with The """"""best XB1 line up ever""""", i think we Can Say XB1 lost all Chance even in US.

Vegito

Banned
This just goes to show that the average gamer doesn't really care about exclusives. If they did ms would be selling more consoles because of halo and timed exclusives like tomb raider. Except this just prooves that all it does is annoy people. It's about how you market your console. Sony nailed it from day 1. Ms on the other hand scared people away with their scary policies on used games and always online connectivity. Phil Spencer has done an amazing job to repair the damage that matrick did but patcher is right. Ms will not catch up. All they can do at this point is continue to sell the console on the merits they do have and hope they can appeal to people who still haven't made the jump to current Gen.

evilr

Banned
I seriously wish Pacther threads wouldn't crop up. I dont consider him to have any more intelligence of the gaming industry than an average gamer.

He has be wrong so many more times than he has been right, and this prediction we all knew over a year ago.

I dunno, they seem to be handling backwards compatibility a hell of a lot better.
lol, this has zero effect on people outside of this forum. Step outside of your bubble, no one plays their old games. And "no one", means like 90+% of people who own the console.

I wish someone would do some official metrics on the amount of people that play older games, it's a constant misconception I see on forums. Even B/C at launch is marginally beneficial.

Someone at my work today was just explaining to me how PS4 got off to a better start this generation, but Xbox One has been destroying it for the past few months and would be the overall best seller of the generation easily. However, he said, Sony had just dropped a bombshell by announcing backwards compatibility of all PS3 games.

Always funny to hear the interpretations of people who aren't as plugged into the industry as we are.

keidashxd

The best thing MS can do now is to keep their userbase happy, and that's something they're trying since phil spencer is handling the Xbox brand, this year its been a good year and next looks even better.

Burt

Where was the PS3 in the catch-up game at this point? I remember that had a rough start too.

Pretty 'apples to oranges' comparison from Pachter, though. You might as well graph the companies respective console sales trajectory over the generations that they've competed and come to the conclusion that Microsoft is going to sell 270 million Xbox Ones and Sony is going to sell 40 million PS4s. Like, that comparison is creeping towards Mario Kart sales: Nintendo console sales. Not quite there, but definitely edging in on that territory.

Genio88

He is right though, here in Europe, especially Italy, France and Spain, most peaple just say Playstation meaning videogames in general, even if Xbox were the best deal, like it was with the 360, they would either keep their PS2 waiting for a PS3 price drop or buy the PS3 even at that ridiculous launch price, Xbox was just for hardcore gamers who knew there was something beyond Playstation.

Shenmue

Banned
What a weird way to support his point. Comparing two consoles from different gens is weird considering ps3 sold about the same as the 360. Better answer would have been ps4 is selling worldwide while xbox only sells significant numbers in us and uk.

There's no way they can.

Only thing they can do now is do right by current owners, try to get whomever they can and come out with a much better offering with the Xboner 2.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Who gives a shit, as long as both can make the companies a profit, it means we'll continue to get great games.

Celebrating who has the bigger dick all the time is pretty lame, the bigger question is will the Xbox1 be profitable enough for MS to continue to support it and to develop the next gen of the console.

So far that seems to be holding true... it's install base is big enough that multi-platform support will continue.. and exclusives will still be made.

This just goes to show that the average gamer doesn't really care about exclusives. If they did ms would be selling more consoles because of halo and timed exclusives like tomb raider. Except this just prooves that all it does is annoy people. It's about how you market your console. Sony nailed it from day 1. Ms on the other hand scared people away with their scary policies on used games and always online connectivity. Phil Spencer has done an amazing job to repair the damage that matrick did but patcher is right. Ms will not catch up. All they can do at this point is continue to sell the console on the merits they do have and hope they can appeal to people who still haven't made the jump to current Gen.

Except tha Phil was onboard with Matrick with all the DRM nonsense!

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Ah come on Michael you're gonna jinx the ps4 you know how wrong you are ... always..I mean the Pachter Law exist for a reason.

Michael has this unstoppable power.

It doesn't have to outsell the PS4 to be considered a success. I'm sure MS will make plenty of money on it when the dust settles.

MS squandered 8 years of good will with the 360. I still can't believe how badly they botched everything this time. I agree with Pachter; they're fucked.

Outrun

The best thing MS can do now is to keep their userbase happy, and that's something they're trying since phil spencer is handling the Xbox brand, this year its been a good year and next looks even better.

Good post.

MS just needs to keep in bringing the games.

They need to be relentless in this regard.

Outrun

MS squandered 8 years of good will with the 360. I still can't believe how badly they botched everything this time. I agree with Pachter; they're fucked.

Of course they want to win. But if they make a profit on the x1, they are far from fucked...

Microsoft can't do anything about Japan sales.
Microsoft can't do much about EU sales.
Microsoft can do something about US sales.

But even if they manage to surpass Ps4 sales in the US on a consistent basis, the gap will still grow worldwide because they won't be able to turn it around in EU and JP.

First I thought Pachters reasoning is weird, but at second thought it makes some sense. The strength of the Playstation brand on a worldwide basis is the huge advantage Sony has over Microsoft. While Microsoft can reach customers in the US easily, but has to work hard to gain customer trust and mindshare in EU and especially JP, Sony has it realitively easy all over the world, and thats because of the Playstation brand that was built through the sucess of Ps1 and especially Ps2.

On GAF we are usually very focussed on NPD numbers, and when MS wins two months in NPD its seems like they are catching up, but actually they gap still grew in those months, just not in the US, but worldwide it grew.

But I think Microsoft doesn't care that much about "winning" as long as the numbers are generally fine, and so far I think the XB1 tracks ahead of the 360, which is pretty good in my book.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
There's a chance, always

-8th core magic unlocked
-N.U.R.B.S. parched into future FW
-ragdoll physics on nose hairs powered by Havoc®
-Formally running with the Xboner moniker

That will ensure success.

it will be fine in the long run even if a distant 2nd. It's a viable ecosystem of dedicated fans

Top Bottom