• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There’s Nothing Xbox Can Do to Close Gap Between PS4, Says Pachter

Culex

Banned
Pachter is right. Phil is doing a great job to triage and makes things better, post Mattrick.

If you are and Xbox fan, you shouldn't have to worry about anything.

Seems pretty self evident. MS can only do so well, but it's still conceivable that Sony screws the pooch in some fashion.

It's not likely, mind, but it is possible/

I'm curious as to what, exactly, someone imagines occurring in order for this to happen. It's discovered that Sony is backing ISIS? I mean, it's a lot worse than not likely. For how long would Sony have to completely halt PS4 sales just to allow MS to catch up?

BokehKing

Banned
You really think MS will make a comeback this gen because it's easier for people to play FIFA 09 on XB1? People don't really care about BC. It's one of those things that everyones thinks they want, then never uses. I think I've played a few hours of Xenoblade on my Wii U and that's it. I don't recall ever playing a GC game on my Wii.
If they lower the price enough, they can come back

Is it worth doing that just to be #1 after getting trounced world wide since launch?

No

Though I do hope they are humbled by this defeat, lick their wounds and come out with a gaming system next time and not a hybrid media station

Ps2 sold 170 million?

As far as I know, this is the only source claiming such things. Also,

twinfinite said:
... while Microsoft’s best-selling console, the Xbox 360, sold just 80 million units in its lifetime

GameSpot said:
Microsoft also announced today that Xbox 360 sales have risen to 84 million units sold. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-399-xbox-one-out-now-xbox-360-sales-rise-to-84-million/1100-6420231/

Is it worth doing that just to be #1 after getting trounced world wide since launch?

No

Though I do hope they are humbled by this defeat, lick their wounds and come out with a gaming system next time and not a hybrid media station
I think it's fine that they did that, they should've just not bundled the kinect at launch. had a 400 and 500 dollar version of it to go. sony did the media shit last gen when they heavily pushed blu-ray with Ps3 and although that was one of the things that made it expensive it was pretty important. Ps2 did it before that with DVDs when it was still kind of a new thing.

nowadays I think it is important for home consoles to have that media center edge - but NOT forget that it is first and foremost a video game console.
As far as I know, this is the only source claiming such things. Also,
yeah, perhaps they were just rounding to whole numbers when they said 80 million but 155--->170 million is a pretty big difference.

Xbox doesn't need to catch up to PlayStation. The Xbox One is well ahead of 360 sales over the same time period and the brand is strong.

The Xbox team has been hyper focused on pleasing their customers, making the Xbox One as attractive to new customers as possible, and they're doing a great job.

If they keep it up, the XB1 will continue to be successful, and as long as they don't fuck up the design, capabilities, and vision for the next generation of Xbox, the great work they're doing now will set them up well.

atpbx

Is this possibly the first thing this man has said that is anywhere near credible?

I mean, the entire planet has known it's a one horse race since the PS4 hit the shelves, but I suppose you can't blame a world famous (not really) industry analyst needing 2 years and an unassailable lead world wide before he feels comfortable with saying "yep, the PS4 is going to outsell the X1 this gen I can feel it in my bones".

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
kind of OT but uh... did Tomb Raider really actually sell badly?

Like... do we even have numbers to look at? Or is it mostly educated guessing.

Amir0x

Banned
We have UK numbers, which are grim. NPD numbers should hopefully come in a few weeks.

The TR Reboot destroyed my cherished unique franchise, and so I won't lie I'm going to take sick satisfaction if it bombs. As I said when they announced "exclusivity" for XBO, since the reboot was awful I couldn't get excited about its sequel, but I hope that the exclusivity deal singlehandedly destroyed the momentum it gained so that one day we might have a shot at going back to real Tomb Raider games. But since the game is still going to be on PS4 (as we all knew), I doubt I'll be that lucky anyway...

But someone at Ars Technica or Polygon or one of those troll clickbait sites said that the Bone is closing the gap with PS4!

People buy consoles for new games.

Plus they don't just throw their old consoles in the trash when the new one comes out. I never understood the appeal of backwards compatibility with just the previous generation, your PS3 or 360 still works doesn't it? So why don't you just play it?

Madness

Obviously. But it seems they now are in a dead heat in places like NA/UK in terms of monthly sales. The gap is probably double worldwide though. People outside NA(USA/Canada), UK and Australia, don't really have as much affinity for Xbox as they do Playstation. And this has been happening even last gen. The only difference this gen, is that Microsoft basically gave up the territories they did well in last gen, while still not gaining at all in the territories they do bad in.

I do think however, as gamers, cheaper price points and exclusive games will eventually bring some buyers back. If you're an only PS4 owner and yet games like Scalebound are rated high, crackdown 3, Recore type games, if the console is like $199-$299 you might pick up a second console, just for those games. But I think Microsoft with its slight shift towards PC, is maybe once again looking at Xbox as a service, and not so much a console.

But yeah, this gen isn't over, but the gap is not going to close even if Microsoft wins NA/UK again, the gap is too large and other territories are gaining importance.

Which seems to be translating to 0 extra units sold. Which just goes to show that all the companies were right all along in saying that consumers don't actually want it.
is there any real way to prove that BC hasn't made the xbone sell better or if those that have an xbone aren't using it?

ea access is another exclusive and afaik it's got a high attach rate on xbone

is there any real way to prove that BC hasn't made the xbone sell better or if those that have an xbone aren't using it?

If BC was a deciding factor, then the Xbone's hardware sales should show a statistically significant jump after BC was introduced

Every action obviously has some amount of sales multiplier.

The question is whether or not they're significant enough to be a notable sales driver.

And the answer is often times "we don't know"

If BC was a deciding factor, then the Xbone's hardware sales should show a statistically significant jump after BC was introduced

Every action obviously has some amount of sales multiplier.

The question is whether or not they're significant enough to be a notable sales driver.

And the answer is often times "we don't know"
Ok. So that answers the former question. but if Ps4 had Ps2/Ps1 physical BC (I know Ps3 is out of the question) I know I would be using it. Otherwise I wouldn't have to turn on a Ps3 to play some old Ps1 games.

Well, I thought that PS4 got this, but now that Patcher is agreeing with me Xbox has pretty good chance... :) When was the last time that guy was right? :)

FDC1

No

X1 could be $199, it still would have its ass kicked in most markets.

le.phat

This just goes to show that the average gamer doesn't really care about exclusives. If they did ms would be selling more consoles because of halo and timed exclusives like tomb raider. Except this just prooves that all it does is annoy people. It's about how you market your console. Sony nailed it from day 1. Ms on the other hand scared people away with their scary policies on used games and always online connectivity. Phil Spencer has done an amazing job to repair the damage that matrick did but patcher is right. Ms will not catch up. All they can do at this point is continue to sell the console on the merits they do have and hope they can appeal to people who still haven't made the jump to current Gen.
you do realise that sony has released way, way more exclusives in 2915, right?

HMD

The TR Reboot destroyed my cherished unique franchise, and so I won't lie I'm going to take sick satisfaction if it bombs. As I said when they announced "exclusivity" for XBO, since the reboot was awful I couldn't get excited about its sequel, but I hope that the exclusivity deal singlehandedly destroyed the momentum it gained so that one day we might have a shot at going back to real Tomb Raider games. But since the game is still going to be on PS4 (as we all knew), I doubt I'll be that lucky anyway...

If this one truly bombs, I'd expect Square to just cash-in on the name and make more iOS endless runners.

it seems they now are in a dead heat in places like NA/UK in terms of monthly sales
I'm not sure this is accurate. Sure MS does well during the holidays (thanks to price cuts and bundles and so on) but there is a whole rest of the year that Sony dominates in those regions.

Of course they want to win. But if they make a profit on the x1, they are far from fucked...
Even if they squeak by with a profit I can't imagine they're happy being a distant 2nd place, being outsold 2:1, especially after the ground they made last generation.

Fredrik

So true. It has been all about word of mouth so far, the Xbox PR fiasco turned too many over to PS4 and on the boards PS4 won even before it was released, it has been a war about mind share rather than games, it wasn't over when PS4 had sold 10 million units, it was over at the PS4 unveil when Jack Tretton talked about used games, 8GB RAM, no online checks etc.
Being best at multiplats has helped PS4 to widen the gap further but the reality is that it's still outselling Xbox this year even when Xbox has better exclusives, and we know 2016 is the year of the big PS4 exclusives, so yup, it's over. Time for MS to prepare how to battle NX next gen instead. This gen goes to Sony.

I wonder if you factored in people who own Steam boxes, what percentage of the standalone gaming machine market Microsoft actually owns. Presumably the rise of the cheap gaming PC is somewhat cannibalizing console sales, right?

I wonder if you factored in people who own Steam boxes, what percentage of the standalone gaming machine market Microsoft actually owns. Presumably the rise of the cheap gaming PC is somewhat cannibalizing console sales, right?
But do Windows PCs that run 95+% of their games through Steam really count as MS gamers? I'm not sure that people playing games outside of their digital storefront/Xbox Live are a meaningful addition to the discussion, unless the goal is to artificially inflate MS's perceived "gaming marketshare."
Windows isn't a gaming OS; it's a popular OS that people happen to play games on. There's a distinction to be made IMO.

But do Windows PCs that run 95+% of their games through Steam really count as MS gamers? I'm not sure that people playing games outside of their digital storefront/Xbox Live are a meaningful addition to the discussion, unless the goal is to artificially inflate MS's perceived "gaming marketshare."
Windows isn't a gaming OS; it's a popular OS that people happen to play games on. There's a distinction to be made IMO.
I agree there's a distinction, but there are probably vectors that would be interesting to look at to determine people who are using Steam/GOG/Origin/Uplay/whatever on a PC as their primary "installed/standalone gaming device," vs console users. Even if that method was just sampling/polls. I'm not sure there's a great way to determine the PC gamer's "install base" (Steam accounts that have activated a game and played it in the last year?) but it would be an interesting number to compare to Xbox One and PS4.

I would also agree that these are not necessarily "Microsoft gamers," as Microsoft does not capture any of the revenue for gaming sales on Steam et al. Which is weird -- they certainly dropped the ball there allowing third parties to fill the void, but that's how the cookie crumbled. Still, it's not a total loss for them either. Were it not for games I wouldn't own a $5,000 PC that is hooked up to my big TV. They haven't upsold me on Office, OneDrive, or anything from the Store, nor will they, but they got paid a licensing seat fee, so good for them.

I do think, though, that you'd have to credit that market segment as Microsoft-owned. It uses all of their tech. Those game devs are running Visual Studio, using DirectX, developing on Windows boxes, and selling the results to Windows users. That's owning a platform if I've ever heard it. They really just rely on middlemen to make the machines and distribute the games.

barit

How cruel from you. You should protect Laura and not wish her death!!11

ars technica is a troll clickbait site?

my god

100% of their gaming coverage is troll clickbait. Considering they were the first people to employ Ben Kuchera, no one should be surprised.

They also have a habit of posting terrible troll clickbait articles about how Android is going to have a security apocalypse any second now. In fact their coverage of mobile is pretty awful in general.

They've really gone the way of The Verge in recent years, there's good content there but it's buried under an avalanche of really awful blatant clickbaity crap.

Steroyd

Who gives a shit, as long as both can make the companies a profit, it means we'll continue to get great games.

Celebrating who has the bigger dick all the time is pretty lame, the bigger question is will the Xbox1 be profitable enough for MS to continue to support it and to develop the next gen of the console.

So far that seems to be holding true... it's install base is big enough that multi-platform support will continue.. and exclusives will still be made.

Well obviously you gave enough of a shit to click on a thread titled about who sells the most consoles in a generation.

I agree there's a distinction, but there are probably vectors that would be interesting to look at to determine people who are using Steam/GOG/Origin/Uplay/whatever on a PC as their primary "installed/standalone gaming device," vs console users. Even if that method was just sampling/polls. I'm not sure there's a great way to determine the PC gamer's "install base" (Steam accounts that have activated a game and played it in the last year?) but it would be an interesting number to compare to Xbox One and PS4.

I would also agree that these are not necessarily "Microsoft gamers," as Microsoft does not capture any of the revenue for gaming sales on Steam et al. Which is weird -- they certainly dropped the ball there allowing third parties to fill the void, but that's how the cookie crumbled. Still, it's not a total loss for them either. Were it not for games I wouldn't own a $5,000 PC that is hooked up to my big TV. They haven't upsold me on Office, OneDrive, or anything from the Store, nor will they, but they got paid a licensing seat fee, so good for them.

I do think, though, that you'd have to credit that market segment as Microsoft-owned. It uses all of their tech. Those game devs are running Visual Studio, using DirectX, developing on Windows boxes, and selling the results to Windows users. That's owning a platform if I've ever heard it. They really just rely on middlemen to make the machines and distribute the games.
I get you from the perspective that it is their infrastructure to an extent, but I also believe that combining Xbox and Windows PC gamers for the purpose of comparing them to other competitors like Nintendo or Sony would only add meaningless obfuscation to the conversation. Yes, PC is assuredly cutting into the console market, but no, Microsoft is not likely seeing anywhere near the games-related revenue from the gaming side of Windows as they are from Xbox, and thus it doesn't make sense to bucket them together.

Top Bottom