• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thurrott: MS to announce a new standard Xbox controller and maybe Xbox Elite at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet. I am starting to have issues with my right bumper not always responding.

Will wait and see what it is. Though if I find an elite controller for $100 I would probably jump on that haha.

krang

Why?

Your phone, computer, Amazon Fire TV remote, Apple TV remote are all close proximity to the person in control when using voice. Could just be an option, have one in a media remote and one in a camera/mic accessory for Skype or whatever.

Part of the benefit of Cortana on XB1 is being able to control it without having a controller nearby, or even turned on.

The Flash

Banned
As someone who bought the Elite controller, I'll be bummed if the standard controller had features that the Elite does not. I expect more Elite features making their way to the standard, like the grips.

Agreed. I don't think it'll be that big of a revision though. They've stated a few times that the Elite sold better than they were expecting so I imagine that they'll want it to remain being the "premium" controller. Maybe knock it down a few dollars but yeah whatever this new one will be probably won't be on the same level.

Man, MS can you design an Elite PS4 controller? Sony ain't listening to us on that end.

Honestly the only thing I'd like revised is the battery and light bar. Maybe add some grip on the sides.

TalonJH

What's up with MS and their obsession with gamepads?

1. They do a really great job with them.

2. It's an easy change that can really upgrade someone's experience and distinguish them from Sony.

3. The financial return on peripherals/accessories is really high.

Probably a mix of all three and more. I can't be mad at that.

MaulerX

And how much do you think this thing will cost in 2016 with what we know of available tech out there?

To be full blown, it would have to pretty handily be ahead of the PS4K spec wise... at $399, it surely will not be. Not in the newly ran MSFT from the CEO down.

I didn't say anything about this year. I think it's safe to say all we're getting from MS this year is a Slim model with probable added perks. Fall of 2017 is where I'm expecting the full blown hammer to drop.

SRTtoZ

As someone who bought the Elite controller, I'll be bummed if the standard controller had features that the Elite does not. I expect more Elite features making their way to the standard, like the grips.

This would be my only concern as my Elite controller is rather new. Other than that, go ham on a new console or whatever. I'll probably trade/sell my XB1 before E3 to get maximum value and put it towards whatever's new this holiday season.

Different controller? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit MS, it's nearly perfect as it is. Too bad that Paul doesn't know if it's updated hardware.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I didn't say anything about this year. I think it's safe to say all we're getting from MS this year is a Slim model with probable added perks. Fall of 2017 is where I'm expecting the full blown hammer to drop.

It will still not be there for $399, unless AMD is all of a sudden charity for them, and the PC crowd with similar GPU's that will hit.

You have to also remember. When Phil made those (do not want a half step) comments, he is talking the spec of HIS current box... not the PS4. So a 'half step' would be lackluster... but something 3.2x the power equals that of a PS4K, 3.5x the power just a little over PS4K, 4x (to make 1TF higher) then I do not see $399 with brand new APU tech, that AMD still has to price for PC's on the GPU front, which all of a sudden can't slash the standard pricing scheme.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Guys, imagine a spiritual successor to this design:

xbox-360-special-edition_groupshot.jpeg

xbox-360-slim-4gb-whitemicrosoft-announces-gloss-white-xbox-360-bundle---ign-whq7oazp.jpg

O_O
Please make it happen Phil.

Thanks for the link,i was aware of that but he seems to talk about a hypotetical situation there,nothing solid.While Phil in the podcast flat out suggested that they were changing their console cycle approach.

And didn't the leaked design documents&white paper of the xbone hinted about upgrades over time even before they released their box?

TRios Zen

E3 sounding interesting.

Really excited to see if/how the PS Neo plays out and how MS counters that (if at all). Good times.

shoreu

Agreed. I don't think it'll be that big of a revision though. They've stated a few times that the Elite sold better than they were expecting so I imagine that they'll want it to remain being the "premium" controller. Maybe knock it down a few dollars but yeah whatever this new one will be probably won't be on the same level.

Honestly the only thing I'd like revised is the battery and light bar. Maybe add some grip on the sides.

What if they make Elite 2.0, (i don't have one yet so i have no clue what it could improve on)

give an awesome $75 dollar tradein deal and drop elite 1.0 to $100

The Flash

Banned
Guys, imagine a spiritual successor to this design:

xbox-360-special-edition_groupshot.jpeg

xbox-360-slim-4gb-whitemicrosoft-announces-gloss-white-xbox-360-bundle---ign-whq7oazp.jpg

O_O
Please make it happen Phil.

Ehh.. Not a fan myself. I think white consoles look tacky but that's me.

What if they make Elite 2.0, (i don't have one yet so i have no clue what it could improve on)

give an awesome $75 dollar tradein deal and drop elite 1.0 to $100

It'd be easiest to just drop the price of the Elite I think.

Shin-Ra

Please no. Don't waste a button on something like that. Just include a mic on the controller. "Xbox Record That" is a much better method than a button. And would be useful for so much more like pausing videos, navigating the console etc
Speech recognition is no good for taking screenshots or anything where you make repeated, quick inputs.

So, X1 console revision, new stock controller, and a powered-up model of Xbox? Sounds like a full refreshing of the brand to go the distance with the new PS4 and NX. They definitely need to find their mojo again and this is the right timing.

How many different controllers do they need?

If there's really a new model controller as standard, they'll be the new record holder at three.

webkatt

Screenshot button that instantly shares to social media. Has xbone branding on the picture/clip that takes you to Microsoft online store to purchase a xbone.

A new Xbox One that can keep the pace with PS4K would definitely be welcome.

I'm not completely sold on the idea of mid-gen hardware revisions, but if they're going to happen then might as well get with the program.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Can the current controllers theoretically issue voice commands? They might be doing something with the Cortana integration supposedly coming sometime this year.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Larry Hyrb elaborated on his earlier tweet. Looks like he was specifically referring to the revision so I'm assuming we should only be expecting a slim version.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/725412748331376641

I love his passive aggressive tweet. How about be more transparent, and not have vague messages coming out of your mouths more often than not with the PR. That way, 'Dear Internet' can have a clearer picture, or just say 'no comment' when asked questions. You do not help muddying the waters with mixed messaging.

Anywho... I do also hope they match the 4K spec for spec, so third parties that love that 'parity', can be pressed to exploit the more power.

Why would he ever confirm the existence of something else on Twitter?

That too.

This will be a big year for Microsoft at E3 as the company tries once again to show that its console is the better choice when sized up against the PS4. As I learn more about the new hardware, I’ll make sure to pass it along.
t2wGul7.jpg

SRTtoZ

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Larry Hyrb elaborated on his earlier tweet. Looks like he was specifically referring to the revision so I'm assuming we should only be expecting a slim version.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/725412748331376641

While it could be nothing, lets be honest. Its in their best interest not to announce things like this way before they're ready so people still bother to buy Xbox Ones instead of waiting for the revision.

Why would he ever confirm the existence of something else on Twitter?

I understand your point, but why would he deny it? Of course they don't want to hurt sales of the current XB1. However, only loyal fans are following Major Nelson's tweets. Straight up lying to their faces doesn't seem like the best PR move. Then again, MS doesn't have the best track record when it comes to PR.

While it could be nothing, lets be honest. Its in their best interest not to announce things like this way before they're ready so people still bother to buy Xbox Ones instead of waiting for the revision.

I definitely get your point and agree. I just think he shouldn't have said anything at all.

El_Chino

I understand your point, but why would he deny it? Of course they want to hurt sales of the current XB1. However, only loyal fans are following Major Nelson's tweets. Straight up lying to their faces doesn't seem like the best PR move. Then again, MS doesn't have the best track record when it comes to PR.

I definitely get your point and agree. I just think he shouldn't have said anything at all.

That's all it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom