• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time : The Best RPG of 2015 Is Only Available on the Wii U

Reviews are one dude's opinion too. Poor ninjablade

naw metracritic is score a combined score, 80-100 reviews, just about any game thats good to descent has a raving review about the game being amazing, and some reviewer loving it, calling it one of the best games of the year. just to give a example why i think metracritic/gamerankings is the best option, in the past 11 years neogaf goty have all been games with with 90+ scores, so it pretty much means what the rating means universal acclaim.

True Fire

I havn't played this one, but the one on the Wii was extremely grindy. Is this one similar? If so, I would hate it. As far as best RPGs go, its got to be TW3 or Bloodborne.

If you like TW3's and Bloodborne's "less is more" approach, you'll hate X. It's completely over the top with no substance to back up the theatrics, and the lore is really quite bad.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
40 hours in and I've forgotten what the story was because I have to do infinite fetch quests before being allowed to continue said story. I think there was something about an alien species or something? Or a cow? I dunno.

But I'm going to kill a tyrant that used to fuck me up 4 levels ago. Brb.

I havn't played this one, but the one on the Wii was extremely grindy. Is this one similar? If so, I would hate it. As far as best RPGs go, its got to be TW3 or Bloodborne.

It is, without a doubt and without a trace of hyperbole, the most grindy non-MMO I have ever played. And I play roughly every RPG made every year.

I wish I didn't spend so much time working over my Christmas break. I really want to spend my time really digesting the game, but since my time is limited, I tend to try to rush through the game which negatively impacts how I view it. There's a lot of quality-of-life issues absent from X which would have made my experience more enjoyable. I'm kinda disappointed in the story decisions as well.

Everybody has their own opinions so there of course is no right answer.

For me personally Xenoblade Chronicles X is my GOTY and does specific things incredibly well and a lot I haven't seen before.

I really hope with get a sequel that leaves a lot unchanged except a lengthier main narrative.

I'll eventually play Fallout 4 but the Witcher 3 holds no interest for me. Huge sci-fi guy, no big into fantasy.

The people in here who haven't even played it and have already counted it out are incredibly humorous.

I haven't played and I think the game is awesome. I'm just worried about the fetch quests though.

The game is awesome but not quite as good as the witcher. Also bloodborne is a rpg?

Debatable, but at least I'm not the only one..
Review: Bloodborne, The Unforgiving RPG
Bloodborne: The Best RPG Of Its Generation
Bloodborne vs. The Witcher 3 vs. Fallout 4: The Battle for Best RPG of 2015

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it's defenitely the best RPG I've played this year. I haven't bought Witcher 3 yet, and don't have a PS4 for Bloodborne though :p

Nightbird

naw metracritic is score a combined score, 80-100 reviews, just about any game thats good to descent has a raving review about the game being amazing, and some reviewer loving it, calling it one of the best games of the year. just to give a example why i think metracritic/gamerankings is the best option, in the past 11 years neogaf goty have all been games with with 90+ scores, so it pretty much means what the rating means universal acclaim.

More like 61 reviews, also I wouldn't count on Metacritic.
First of all are those not actual average scores, and secondly, is the TIME score the only perfect score for the game on Metacritic despite there being more than that (look in my review thread for that).

The Metascore should be higher than 84

To me the best RPGs were on PC this year:

Pillars of Eternity
The Age of Decadence
UnderRail (tentative, since it came out yesterday and I'm still playing it but it's so damn good so far)

The Witcher 3 is good too but that's multi platform.

There's no way Bloodborne is a RPG, Dark Souls 1 + 2 are much closer to a RPG, Bloodborne is what I'd called an action adventure but also Dark Souls straddles between the two as well where as Bloodborne is more on the side of action adventure most of the time. Don't know how one can call Bloodborne a RPG when it's missing the core element of dialogue and its impact/consequences? Stats don't play a huge role either. It's character builds and items are also nowhere as diverse as Dark Souls 1 + 2. It's a good game but not what I'd called a RPG.

More like 61 reviews, also I wouldn't count on Metacritic.
First of all are those not actual average scores, and secondly, is the TIME score the only perfect score for the game on Metacritic despite there being more than that (look in my review thread for that).

The Metascore should be higher than 84

metracritic, opencritic and gamerankings, only use publications they find credible, they just don't add any review on the net, that goes for every other game as well.

It's more disappointing after XC than MGSV after MGS4.

other than exploration, world design and skells I can barely think of anything positive.

- not as story driven like the first game
- mediocre soundtrack.
- boring side quests
- boring characters
- forcing the player to do side stuff to unlock story missions(the main reason why I stopped playing it)

also not to mention a silence MC is huge let down. Shulk was awesome and likeable.

I loved the first one for it's good and interesting story and characters which was absent in XCX.

40 hours in and I've forgotten what the story was because I have to do infinite fetch quests before being allowed to continue said story. I think there was something about an alien species or something? Or a cow? I dunno.

But I'm going to kill a tyrant that used to fuck me up 4 levels ago. Brb.

It is, without a doubt and without a trace of hyperbole, the most grindy non-MMO I have ever played. And I play roughly every RPG made every year

I really don't understand these.

This game wasn't grindy at all to me because I enjoyed exploring around and doing normal missions and affinity missions. There was never a point where I didn't meet the requirements for the next story mission. I think the game was sort of "meant" to be played as finishing a chapter, then exploring the town and doing quests to further those story arcs, and then moving on to the next chapter.

And the affinity missions and normal missions didn't feel like filler because they have their own continuing story lines (taking place parallel to the main story line)

SalvaPot

I have 56 hours in this sucker and I am not even through half of the story because the world is such a joy to explore, I'll have to finish it before the year so I can rank it as my GOTY, but so far its making a pretty damn convincing argument.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
This thread just might convince me to go back and finish Xenoblade Chronicles on Dolphin. I was about two thirds of the way through when I gave up due to fetch quest exhaustion if I remember correctly.
Need to find my most recent save file..

So you are telling me that Gamereactor is less credible than Yahoo Games?

they used gamereactor before, don't why they stopped, doesn't really matter, its not used for other games as well, no point in complaining about it, it also goes both ways, many negative reviews don't get counted as well.

RulkezX

I only decided to try it after watching a ton of twitch. I'm not the biggest JRPG fan but it looks like it'll probably shit at #2 behind Witcher 3 in my overall GOTY.

The game isn't grindy at all if you just play it.

It's been a long time since I didn't 'get' what people like in a game, but Xenoblade X is one of those games.
I found nothing about it in the first 5 hours enjoyable at all, which was odd because I loved the original xenoblade. I rather dislike Lin and elma, and that the player is such a non character...

Haven't found the motivation to pick it up again.

Nightbird

they used gamereactor before, don't why they stopped, doesn't really matter, its not used for other games as well, no point in complaining about it, it also goes both ways, many negative reviews don't get counted as well.

Wich only supports the point I was making.

You can't use Metacritic as showcase of the general consensus for the game if they are cherry picking the reviews for their site based on what they think is reliable or not, and especially not if what was reliable yesterday is suddenly not reliable today anymore without any reason as you said yourself.

Well 33hours in and its definitely better than the witcher 3 for me, since bloodborne aint being counted as an rpg im not detecting any lies.

Dad

Thanks for the input! Did you have enough patience to complete XC?
I got what I assume is pretty close to the end
Gadolt fight
. I got distracted with other things meaning to go back to it and just never did. Didn't really get burnt out on it like XBX

Is it easier to avoid filler fetch quests in XCX compared to XC?
You don't have to do any filler fetch quests at all, if you don't like to. The game wants you to complete affinity missions (fully voiced side missions that serve to tell you more of the characters' back stories) and explore a certain amount of the continents to continue the main story mission. The fetch missions I accept when I'm doing some exploration, which is great because that way, you get to experience Xenoblade X's landscapes and many quest practically complete themselves.

Edit: Actually, the mission board is specifically designed so you see that you're only doing fetch quests. Makes them all the easier to avoid.

Raggie

Xenoblade Chronicles X is a fine RPG. It's a gamer's game. I've played Fallout 4 and Bloodborne and enjoyed the heck out of both of them, but of the three, I think Xenoblade is the most enjoyable game. It gives me the same feeling that I had when I first played Phantasy Star IV, which is saying a lot.

Oookay, that's it. I want it NOW.

Does it matter which game you do first: the original Xenoblade or X?

It is a truly wonderful RPG,not the best of the year for me though,as there were some fantastic ones on PC.Although I've yet to fully complete Xeno so my mind may change

Zekes!

I like Xenoblade X more than the original.

Part of the reason is that certain things remind me of Phantasy Star Online and that was one of my favourite games.

Oookay, that's it. I want it NOW.

Does it matter which game you do first: the original Xenoblade or X?

Just start with X. They both share basic fundamentals when it comes to combat and the scope of the world, but the original Xenoblade is more story focused and follows a clear linear path. X has a story but it doesn't actively push you towards it, though getting your Skell requires completion up to a certain story chapter.

Wich only supports the point I was making.

You can't use Metacritic as showcase of the general consensus for the game if they are cherry picking the reviews for their site based on what they think is reliable or not, and especially not if what was reliable yesterday is suddenly not reliable today anymore without any reason as you said yourself.

dude you do realize that if you add, every review on the net, you probably get close to the same average as the metracrtic score, it like a 0.2 difference at the most negative or positive. my main point is metracrtic is a much better showcase then one raving review.

DrWong

You don't have to do any filler fetch quests at all, if you don't like to. The game wants you to complete affinity missions (fully voiced side missions that serve to tell you more of the characters' back stories) and explore a certain amount of the continents to continue the main story mission. The fetch missions I accept when I'm doing some exploration, which is great because that way, you get to experience Xenoblade X's landscapes and many quest practically complete themselves.

Edit: Actually, the mission board is specifically designed so you see that you're only doing fetch quests. Makes them all the easier to avoid.
Listen to this guy.

I never bother to actively complete normal/fetch quest: I just take them, forget about them, do my super fun & immersive exploration things, or affinity quests, or story missions, and complete the fetch quests without even thinking. It's more about a reward for exploration than a goal.

I don't understand how some people can focus on the normal/fetch quest to the point of feeling the need to actively complete them like it's an obligation. From this point of view Xenox is a better game than Xenoblade.

It's a really super great game and rich enough to be played with friends on TeamSpeak because you can comment, exchange tips and help etc... It's so big....

klee123

Really enjoying XCX and it is perhaps my favourite open world rpg so far.

Don't quite agree that it's the best rpg of the year (that goes to Bloodborne), but eh opinions are opinions.

The way I see it, after playing The Witcher 3 this year, I just expect more from side quests in a game. Especially when they expect me to complete a bunch of them just to advance in the story. A story which is pretty uninteresting and feels like an after thought anyway.

I'm enjoying my time with XCX, but as I said earlier in the thread, it doesn't do enough right for me to say it's the best RPG released this year. Enjoying it for what it is though, and the OT is proving to be a god send, so bless all of you regulars :')

Thud

For every step forward in one direction it goes two steps backward in other one.

Not everyone likes to be comprimised. X has an interesting world, but the story seems to take third wheel.

jahasaja

To say that you do not have to do fetch quest to progress is false. You even have to do them to get the skells. I find it really strange that sometimes you are forced to find a random thing on a huge continent without any kind of markers. Then I go straight to Google.

Still, I enjoy the game. As long as you understand that is is about the World and not so much about the missions it is enjoyable.

It's a valid opinion. There have been several good AAA RPG releases this year, and they are all very different. (Especially if you include BB)

XCX does a lot of things so damn good. Especially that world is so amazingly crafted, so detailed. I love exploring it and that rarely happens in games I play. The fact that the narrative isn't so strong, actually makes it more approachable to just mess around and have fun with quests and exploration. Unlike other games where I'm dying to know where the story will go, in XCX I'm fine with the overarching story being secondary. The more personal approach with the affinity quests is quite charming. You're not that 'chosen one' saving the human race, you're a cog in the machine to rebuild a human settlement on a different planet and that's a very unique approach. It has it's flaws, but overall it's definitely up there as one of the best of 2015. Whether or not it's the best, is subjective. For me, the world design pushes it over the edge compared to the typical fantasy setting found in Witcher 3 for example.

Chaos17

I think I'm going at some point to make a newbie guide because some people didn't understood like you that those quests are totally optional, lmao.

For every step forward in one direction it goes two steps backward in other one.

Not everyone likes to be comprimised. X has an interesting world, but the story seems to take third wheel.
Main story is like a Marvel movie, don't expect anything further and it will be fine. It's there to entertain you.
The interesting part is the side quests that dig deep into the lore, characters and story : https://fanofxenobladex.wordpress.com/2015/12/08/tips-2-how-to-dig-into-the-lore-and-characters/

So if you want something more solid, you've to take responsability and do side quests otherwise people should not complain because they just wanted just to watch a movie.

To say that you do not have to do fetch quest to progress is false. You even have to do them to get the skells. I find it really strange that sometimes you are forced to find a random thing on a huge continent without any kind of markers. Then I go straight to Google.

This is my problem. You're forced to do a fetch quest, finding some random type of item somewhere on the continent but are given absolutely no indication of where to find it. Nevermind the fact that it'll be a random glowing crystal among many random glowing crystals. It kind of kills the flow.

Top Bottom