• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time : The Best RPG of 2015 Is Only Available on the Wii U

Richie

2 weeks since release and already $10 off...a Nintendo game no less??

I wanted to make this post sarcastically about how people might call this a bomba but I'm actually a bit surprised.

It's one of the few high profile Wii U games I recall that didn't make the Top 20 around release, hell, the day it was out it was hanging on the 40-60 list. Even The Wonderful 101 managed to be No. 6 on its release day. Having it miss Black Friday and releasing it with little fanfare the day right after the Game Awards (where it went completely unmentioned) couldn't have done it much favors. Here's hoping it keeps selling consistently, even if not much.

(The Animal Crossing spinoff is selling so bad that Amazon has been offering it for $35 for some days now, but that's neither here nor there)

krizzx

2 weeks since release and already $10 off...a Nintendo game no less??

I wanted to make this post sarcastically about how people might call this a bomba but I'm actually a bit surprised.

It would need more off than that for me to get it. NOA ruined it for me with all of the neutering and, needless changes removal of the Japanese dub. Before they got ahold to it, it was one of my most wanted game in existence. I was bragging about it to people who didn't even know what Wii U was.

I really wish Nintendo of America would just let other publishers that aren't filled with people trying to push their personal agenda's into the created works of others pick up Japanese game like Fatal Frame and Xenoblade X.

This game has made me regret buying an Xbox as a second console, I would love to play it. I'll pick up a Wii U in the future when the price hits rock bottom.

I loved Xenoblade Chronicles, but X has too many small flaws that add up to such a bad gaming experience where people have been disillusioned by it's quality simply by the length and scope of the game rather then the actual content within it.
Thanks for waking me up from this terrible Xenodaze. Dunno what I'd do without you.

Riki

It would need more off than that for me to get it. NOA ruined it for me with all of the neutering and, needless changes removal of the Japanese dub. Before they got ahold to it, it was one of my most wanted game in existence. I was bragging about it to people who didn't even know what Wii U was.

I really wish Nintendo of America would just let other publishers that aren't filled with people trying to push their personal agenda's into the created works of others pick up Japanese game like Fatal Frame and Xenoblade X.
What are you even talking about?

Rathorial

It's an opinion, but I wouldn't agree with it.

The story and characters are far too lacking, and the side-quests just aren't compelling like the Witcher 3 or even Fallout 4. Too much of the exploration is going to some aesthetically pleasing site, but not having much of a reward, and quite a bit of that is again back on the weak quest design. The art direction and combat is about all I'm getting from it.

It just doesn't do enough good to ever be the best RPG this year.

That's certainly as close to the truth as possible from my perspective. It took about six hours of muddling through, but I've found the game that dragged me back to the hobby. It's been years since I've played something that could get me to immerse myself in 6-8 hour sessions. I thought I was too old for that.

alvis.exe

It's one of the few high profile Wii U games I recall that didn't make the Top 20 around release, hell, the day it was out it was hanging on the 40-60 list. Even The Wonderful 101 managed to be No. 6 on its release day. Having it miss Black Friday and releasing it with little fanfare the day right after the Game Awards (where it went completely unmentioned) couldn't have done it much favors. Here's hoping it keeps selling consistently, even if not much.

(The Animal Crossing spinoff is selling so bad that Amazon has been offering it for $35 for some days now, but that's neither here nor there)

Well it's definitely already beaten Wonderful 101's LTD sales heh. Last I remember we were at a minimum of 141k for NA but I'm sure it's higher now.

Bitanator

What are you even talking about?

Dude was tired of taking the loss for all his crap he spouts so he decided to get angry about skells or some shit, now he sits next to Dragonsworne and other Nintendo fans gone astray at the bar talking about Nintendo's good old days

Oxirane

It's my favorite RPG of the year, going from no Skell to one Skell to multiple Skells has been amazing and I'm still yet to get the flying module.

Although, I haven't played any of the other big contenders this year so it wins by default (unless Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate somehow qualifies for the RPG category).

Richie

Well it's definitely already beaten Wonderful 101's LTD sales heh. Last I remember we were at a minimum of 141k for NA but I'm sure it's higher now.

Oooh, of course, didn't explain myself well enough. I'd hope it has beaten TW101's sales, heh. But it surprises me that it's never been among the Top 20 sold in there. Every other noteworthy Wii U exclusive you could expect to be in the Top 10, hell, Top 5 with ease, at least on release. Xeno I don't think it's ever climbed above 40.

Corpekata

Banned
Trying to decide what's sillier, bragging about a game you haven't played to randoms that don't know what a Wii U is, or feeling so betrayed by giving the 13 year a less risque costume that you stop talking about it altogether and don't even play it.

Illucio

Banned
"People try to tell me my opinion is wrong but it's their opinion that's wrong!"

No more like:
People try to tell me my opinion is wrong because it's not what they want to hear. Then try to discredit what I have to say rather then just respect I have a different opinion.

Krabboss

Trying to decide what's sillier, bragging about a game you haven't played to randoms that don't know what a Wii U is, or feeling so betrayed by giving the 13 year a less risque costume that you stop talking about it altogether and don't even play it.

The latter. It's not even close.

Hypron

Yeah I never even considered it being an RPG until it got that label for end of years. People are obsessed with the misconception that it's another Souls game, when it has just as much in common with Devil May Cry.

The game is slightly faster than Souls games but it's not any closer to DMC and it's just as much of an RPG as the Souls games. It's got all the same elements.

Riki

No more like:
People try to tell me my opinion is wrong because it's not what they want to hear. Then try to discredit what I have to say rather then just respect I have a different opinion.
Sorry but telling people they're 'disillusioned" Into thinking a game is good is no better.

No more like:

Just like you respect others opinions when you tell them they're "disillusioned".

Ozium

you are that upset over a 13 year old's body being covered up? what a fucking travesty, m8

krizzx

you are that upset over a 13 year old's body being covered up? what a fucking travesty, m8

Huh? I was sure I specified changes in general? Which would be the removal of the Japanese dub(my biggest issue) changing the name of the mechs from Dolls to Skells(I could have forgiven this if they left the original high quality Japanese dub so that I could at least hear what was originally intended), removing breast slider(note: that not being able to change the breast size itself is not the issue, as I was going to play a male, but I refuse to condone such needless censorship of that nature) and the various others.

I actually didn't care about the costume change at all. I never use swimsuit costumes for my characters. You misquoted poorly with that one.

Where is the lie though? Time telling it like it is.

Poor Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, etc.

The game is half as good as it could had been, such a shame tbh

Lingitiz

Huh? I was sure I specified changes in general? Which would be the removal of the Japanese dub(my biggest issue) changing the name of the mechs from Dolls to Skells(I could have forgiven this if they left the original high quality Japanese dub so that I could at least hear what was originally intended), removing breast slider(note: that not being able to change the breast size itself is not the issue, as I was going to play a male, but I refuse to condone such needless censorship of that nature) and the various others.

I actually didn't care about the costume change at all. I never use swimsuit costumes for my characters. You misquoted poorly with that one.
The English dub is the last of the problems with the game. It's fairly inoffensive and actually solid. Hardly a reason to ignore the game if you were interested.

krizzx

The English dub is the last of the problems with the game. It's fairly inoffensive and actually solid. Hardly a reason to ignore the game if you were interested.

I completely disagree. I've never been fond of dubs over foreign, whether they be game, movie, Japanese, Russian, or so on, or, likewise, foreign dubs over English works.

To much gets lost in translation or just outright changed with dubs. I like to see what the authors originally intended in as pure a form as possible. Then there are also the issues of the voices not matching the characters and things such as how the dubbers convey the intended emotions, tone and pitch. There is also the constant reuse of the same voice actors for almost every Japanese work that is brought to the U.S. The voice actors are not bad but I tire of constantly hearing the same voices coming from different character.

I remember reading how Xenoblade X got an all-star cast of voice actors for its Japanese release back when it was still in development. Its such a shame that it was needlessly stripped from the game. I'm sure the disc had more than enough room to leave it as an option.

I agree with Time Magazine.

I've had more fun with Nintendo & Monolith Soft's Xenoblade Chronicles X than I have with any other RPG in 2015.

It's my personal GOTY.

Illucio

Banned
Sorry but telling people they're 'disillusioned" Into thinking a game is good is no better.

I agree. I should had said that differently. (Or better yet not at all.)

Overall, I feel like most people have to go few multiple steps to see past a game to see the clear intent and vision of some games. That's normally the intent someone does when evaluating a game.

But I personally had to see through multiple altitudes of ideas, design, and decisions made to see past and understand the game for what it was. I'm disappointed of a lot of the decisions made for the game, and felt disillusioned by what I thought the game would had been rather then what it actually was. It could had been what I thought it was, but the game design decisions prevented me from doing so.

A game I and other people like is in there, but the game is purposely spaced out to the extent that it makes the game as a whole bad in my eyes.

Best way to describe it is a anime where 10 episodes is of the actual good story originally meant to be told. Then there's an additional 1000 episodes of filler that's made to drag out the story. With the good 10 episodes spaced in between all of it. Making the whole anime as a whole bad because of it.

But in this case it's 10 hours of a actual good game spaced out between 1,000 hours of nothing happening or things being put in place to purposely extend the time of the game. You have to spend hours to even get to a part of a game to enjoy then feel all that you experienced was fun, rather then the actual time spent of the part you did liked. While it's a little more then what I explained (music, beauty of the game's world, story, and so on) can add to the experience for better or for worse.

But no. Instead of having a general conversation of anything I said because it's not what someone wanted to hear, I'm told I just sucked at the game, I didn't like the series, I wasn't being hand held through the game, I didn't understand the games mechanics, or some other bullshit excuse to discredit my actual general point of view or criticism of the game because they're happy that the game is a beautiful big open world, while every other post from them are complaints that their working through the game to even get to a general good part of the game.

Which is why I said disillusioned. Because they're denying their own complaints of the game because their satisfied by what they see rather then what they actually comment on actually enjoying.

Zomba13

I completely disagree. I've never been fond of dubs over foreign, whether they be game, movie, Japanese, Russian, or so on, or, likewise, foreign dubs over English works.

To much gets lost in translation or just outright changed with dubs. I like to see what the authors originally intended in as pure a form as possible..

But... It would still be changed with the subs. I mean, unless you understand Japanese then sure, it's totally fine to prefer the Japanese (or native language) but with subtitles someone has already translated the original work so you already lose out on the 100% authentic true honest meaning. Unless the subs were also written by the original author and they were the one that chose the words in the subtitles

I remember reading how Xenoblade X got an all-star cast of voice actors for its Japanese release back when it was still in development. Its such a shame that it was needlessly stripped from the game. I'm sure the disc had more than enough room to leave it as an option.

That might be why. Licensing issues with the original dub. It's why the Dragon's Dogma PC port only has the original English dub and not the Japanese dub from the expansion.

To much gets lost in translation or just outright changed with dubs. I like to see what the authors originally intended in as pure a form as possible..

Don't the subtitles usually have just as much lost in translation as the dubs? Or do you speak Japanese?

Vex_

Banned
Hmmmm I am still thinking of getting a wiiu for this and another game. I'm surprised the witcher3 didn't get "best RPG" from time.

Hmmmm.

krizzx

But... It would still be changed with the subs. I mean, unless you understand Japanese then sure, it's totally fine to prefer the Japanese (or native language) but with subtitles someone has already translated the original work so you already lose out on the 100% authentic true honest meaning. Unless the subs were also written by the original author and they were the one that chose the words in the subtitles

I actually understand quite a bit of Japanese. I just use subs for assistance as I am not a fluent speaker. I notice constantly where subbers change things from what was actually said in Japanese works. Using the Japanese dubs also helps me with my learning and comprehension. Though, still, its sad that they put so much effort into the original dub only to have the people in the U.S. prevented from hearing it. It should have been left as an option like it was in Xenoblade Chronicles. This is why I wish it wasn't published by Nintendo of America more than anything. Other publishers, like Xseed, would have left the Japanese dub and probably most of the other content as is.

Voidance

I just bought a Wii U and XCX along with. After just an hour and a half, I can see the game is special. Can't argue much with their pick so far -- liking it a lot better than most games I've played this year.

dramatis

To much gets lost in translation or just outright changed with dubs. I like to see what the authors originally intended in as pure a form as possible. Then there are also the issues of the voices not matching the characters and things such as how the dubbers convey the intended emotions, tone and pitch. There is also the constant reuse of the same voice actors for almost every Japanese work that is brought to the U.S. The voice actors are not bad but I tire of constantly hearing the same voices coming from different character.

If you valued the Japanese and original product so much, you would have imported and played the Japanese version. Complaining about how something is lost in translation...while reading translated subtitles listening to Japanese voices? Not hypocrisy at all.

silva1991

It's more disappointing after XC than MGSV after MGS4.

other than exploration, world design and skells I can barely think of anything positive.

- not as story driven like the first game
- mediocre soundtrack.
- boring side quests
- boring characters
- forcing the player to do side stuff to unlock story missions(the main reason why I stopped playing it)

also not to mention a silence MC is huge let down. Shulk was awesome and likeable.

I loved the first one for it's good and interesting story and characters which was absent in XCX.

Kenai

Not gonna top Undertale for me this year, but I can't argue with the choice. It's a really amazing game, can't believe all the (fun!) content they managed to pack into the Wii U disk. made it feel like other open world RPG devs just aren't trying.

Also Lin surprised the hell outta me. Best child party member I have seen in many, many years. great character.

Azzanadra

I havn't played this one, but the one on the Wii was extremely grindy. Is this one similar? If so, I would hate it. As far as best RPGs go, its got to be TW3 or Bloodborne.

Illucio

Banned
I havn't played this one, but the one on the Wii was extremely grindy. Is this one similar? If so, I would hate it. As far as best RPGs go, its got to be TW3 or Bloodborne.

The first one wasn't even grindy. If you thought the first one was grindy then your going to have a bad time with X.

Usobuko

Banned
I paid $90 for the SE along with $30 int. shipping. But like Bloodborne CE besides it, I have no time to dive in.

No regrets.

Top Bottom